2011.09.15 EB Pleads Guilty to the Murder of Zahra

http://www2.morganton.com/news/2011...r-pleads-guilty-serve-14-18-years-ar-1394327/

snipped
BBM

On Sept. 24, Adam was in Burke County, north of Valdese, Whisnant said. After work, he tried to get a ride home with Elisa but she told him she couldn’t get a ride because she had been stopped by a trooper and her eldest daughter would have to give him a ride. Whisnant said police found no evidence a trooper stopped Elisa that day.

This is something else that concerns me. Did the eldest daughter stall for time taking Adam home? Did the eldest daughter know what had happened to Zahra? Is this why the eldest daughter testified to keep Elisa locked up?

I have always been of the opinion that several people knew exactly what was going on in that house and did nothing to stop it. I also believe that several people knew exactly what Elisa did and kept their mouths shut so that they would not be charged with their own lists of crimes. I saw no fear whatsoever in that lovely "family" photo that was taken on Mother's day of Elisa and her children. In the end the adults that could have helped Zahra decided that she was not worth jail time for them if they saved her. And I include Adam in that list as well as some others that are not blood relatives of Elisa.

MOO

I heaved a great sigh of relief when I saw the news today. 15-18 years never seems like enough, I realise, but it's a sentence that will be served. And we know there will be considerably more, and they knew this in sentencing EB. I'm glad that Zahra's remains will be finally brought back to Australia ... I feel she belongs here.

I'm hoping that in coming months EB will reveal additional information about Zahra's other remains, or other significant info, to cell mates, or she might volunteer info to authorities herself. She might do that for additional notoriety ... to get her name in the news again. Who can know with a person like her that so badly craved recognition in social media, etc. What we do know is she likes to tell "her" stories.

I'm happy for Zahra that there has been some conclusion. It's a guaranteed outcome rather than just a possible outcome.
I completely agree. Even though I don't believe she would have been acquitted, at least this way it is guaranteed she WILL BE in prison until she's into her 60's, if she lives that long. No worries about a verdict possibly be overturned on appeal. In addition I also am counting on the Federal drug charges to seal her fate for the rest of her life. The deal was initially made in order to recover Zahra's remains. And now Zahra's remains can be returned to Australia.

MOO

http://www2.morganton.com/news/2011...r-pleads-guilty-serve-14-18-years-ar-1394327/

snipped
BBM

On Sept. 24, Adam was in Burke County, north of Valdese, Whisnant said. After work, he tried to get a ride home with Elisa but she told him she couldn’t get a ride because she had been stopped by a trooper and her eldest daughter would have to give him a ride. Whisnant said police found no evidence a trooper stopped Elisa that day.

This is something else that concerns me. Did the eldest daughter stall for time taking Adam home? Did the eldest daughter know what had happened to Zahra? Is this why the eldest daughter testified to keep Elisa locked up?
All good questions. It is possible the daughter had no knowledge at the time of what happened to Zahra, however knows how evil her mother can be. Or possibly she did know but was threatened by her mother. We may never know.

MOO

When I follow other cases and see the level of searching that LE is capable of doing (how many deserts and mines will they have to keep searching for Susan Powell?), especially when they had cell phone pings and tips, I have to wonder why they wasted so much time and manpower on EB's "story" and went through those areas where Adam worked and the yard. If they had really put a timeline together, they should have been able to pin down a time frame after the last independent siting of Zahra to follow EB's cell pings and search those areas with cadaver dogs. Maybe they would have found all of Zahra on their own. I think they really took the easy way out here and the sentence proves it.

Poor Zahra. Poor Emily. No justice for either of them. :(

The question I have is if she's sentenced to 18 years, does that mean with 'good behavior' she can be out in only 9 years?

I can only hope that the judge throws the book at her for the drug charges so she never gets out. Maybe that was the plan by the DA all along, because without the body you might get some yahoos in the jury, like with the Casey Anthony circus, who wouldn't convict.

And as far as her father goes, it's too bad we can't put people away for being naive, stupid, unconcerned ... or whatever other lame excuse he has for not keeping track of his own child.

5 questions about Zahra's case with the district attorney

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...out-zahras-case-district-attorney-ar-1403595/

snipped
BBM

1. Why did Elisa Baker kill Zahra?

Gaither: Elisa Baker may have wondered if anybody would have noticed if Zahra was gone. She may have wanted to kill Zahra to stop her from alerting the authorities about her ongoing abuse at Elisa Baker’s hands.

I wonder...Do these first words out of Gaither's mouth pertain to Adam's lack of being a decent parent?

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...out-zahras-case-district-attorney-ar-1403595/

snipped
BBM

Gaither: Elisa Baker may have wondered if anybody would have noticed if Zahra was gone. She may have wanted to kill Zahra to stop her from alerting the authorities about her ongoing abuse at Elisa Baker’s hands.

I wonder...Do these first words out of Gaither's mouth pertain to Adam's lack of being a decent parent?

I have a question. Why did you allow EB to plea without giving up the rest of Zahra's remains and answering how and why Zahra was murdered. OK, that's really three questions but I want those answers and your answers aren't cutting it for me!

snipped
BBM

No. In the third question, he makes it very clear, imo that Adam had no idea what evil and hellish life was awaiting them.

-----

3. Are you satisfied with the way things stand with Adam Baker?

Gaither: Law enforcement did an excellent investigation into Elisa Baker’s statement that attempted to incriminate Adam. It showed without a doubt that Elisa Baker was not telling the truth when she said Adam Baker was with her on the 25th.

Two witnesses said Adam Baker was in Newton doing a landscaping job at the same time that Elisa Baker claimed he was the person who dismembered and distributed Zahra’s remains.

Phone records indicated that Adam Baker wasn’t there when she hid the body.

Adam Baker met Elisa Baker online and invited her to Australia then, without having any reason to believe that his daughter would be given adequate medical attention, love or affection. He removed Zahra from a home where she had family bonds and medical care.

I think that speaks volumes about Adam Baker.

The question I have is if she's sentenced to 18 years, does that mean with 'good behavior' she can be out in only 9 years?

I can only hope that the judge throws the book at her for the drug charges so she never gets out. Maybe that was the plan by the DA all along, because without the body you might get some yahoos in the jury, like with the Casey Anthony circus, who wouldn't convict.

And as far as her father goes, it's too bad we can't put people away for being naive, stupid, unconcerned ... or whatever other lame excuse he has for not keeping track of his own child.

bbm.....wow.

After the pile on of charges, she'll never see the light of day again. So I'm okay with it.

What makes me absolutely livid is that, yet again, Adam Baker escapes having to accept any responsibility for HIS actions.

Or Inactions...........speak no evil, see no evil, hear no evil

When I follow other cases and see the level of searching that LE is capable of doing (how many deserts and mines will they have to keep searching for Susan Powell?), especially when they had cell phone pings and tips, I have to wonder why they wasted so much time and manpower on EB's "story" and went through those areas where Adam worked and the yard. If they had really put a timeline together, they should have been able to pin down a time frame after the last independent siting of Zahra to follow EB's cell pings and search those areas with cadaver dogs. Maybe they would have found all of Zahra on their own. I think they really took the easy way out here and the sentence proves it.

Poor Zahra. Poor Emily. No justice for either of them. :(

During the hearing it was stated that AB was given a special type of polygraph regarding locations. I forget how the detective worded it but I was under the impression it was to try and get points to start trying to locate her. Thus the areas first searched which were different than where she was found. At least that is my perception of how that detective stated it. Maybe someone else that did listen could confirm for me...

During the hearing it was stated that AB was given a special type of polygraph regarding locations. I forget how the detective worded it but I was under the impression it was to try and get points to start trying to locate her. Thus the areas first searched which were different than where she was found. At least that is my perception of how that detective stated it. Maybe someone that did listen could confirm for me...

Probably a Voice Lie Detection System or Voice Stress Detector.

hi everyone. I have not been reading this thread for ages, though it was on the cover of our Townsville Bulletin the other day that she pleaded guilty. At the beginning of this case I did post that I grew up in Giru and know lots of people that knew Zahra, her dad, the stepmonster, grandparents etc. One of my childhood friends is a teachers aide at the school and she told me that Zahra had told her how happy she was that her dad was marrying EB, as she was happy she would have a mother.

Anyhow, I was wondering if it ever came out what did happen to Zahra? why did she kill her and how? I have always beleived that it was an accidental death but due to EB abusing her ie hitting her head on something etc.

I also do not beleive that Adam did not know anything about it. I dont think he was involved in her death or the gruesome act that then took place, but I do think he knew she was dead and helped the wife try to cover it up.

hi everyone. I have not been reading this thread for ages, though it was on the cover of our Townsville Bulletin the other day that she pleaded guilty. At the beginning of this case I did post that I grew up in Giru and know lots of people that knew Zahra, her dad, the stepmonster, grandparents etc. One of my childhood friends is a teachers aide at the school and she told me that Zahra had told her how happy she was that her dad was marrying EB, as she was happy she would have a mother.

Anyhow, I was wondering if it ever came out what did happen to Zahra? why did she kill her and how? I have always beleived that it was an accidental death but due to EB abusing her ie hitting her head on something etc.

I also do not beleive that Adam did not know anything about it. I dont think he was involved in her death or the gruesome act that then took place, but I do think he knew she was dead and helped the wife try to cover it up.

revampz, you might find the following articles informative and interesting as they reveal new evidence to us and outline the frustrations and simultaneous dedication to finding justice in the case by the DA, James C. Gaither, Jr and his investigators. I have taken these links from posts here in the past couple of days:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15473441/district-attorney-outlines-reasons-for-plea-deal-with-elisa-baker

I'm surprised there hasn't been more in the Australian papers. It's all been a bit cut and dry. I guess because there was no theatricality in a court case to give them sensationalist fodder.

Hi Revampz

You are not alone, I don't think anyone believes Adam didn't know anything. His mother might believe him but I don't think anyone else does. jmo

His 911 call was so fake that he had to know something! Besides that how could a father go that long and not see his "little girl". He just thinks he fooled people. He neglected Zahra.

I don't know if you have seen the other Zahra Thread. It has all the news articles on it. You can't post on it but you can read the articles.

Here is the link:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116947&highlight=zahra+baker

Hi Revampz - I think we are all still waiting to the answers to your questions in your second paragraph. Unless the stepmonster confesses (truthfully this time), we won't know for sure. When I read some more details this week that they released about finding a bloody pair of girl's pants and dots of Zahra's blood on the wall at the head of the bed and more blood on the floor, a chill came over me because it seems Zahra was killed in the most violent way possible. Stepmonster is a true psycotic murderer. I believe she kept Zahra out of school to pimp her for sex so that she could get drug money. I think something went wrong during one of the rapes and Zahra was badly injured -- hence the bloody pants. As Zahra lay in bed badly injured like that, I think Stepmonster got scared and knew she couldn't let anyone know Zahra was injured like that so she had to 'disappear her' so she struck her in the head with a sharp blow with something very heavy. Blood that splatters like that on the wall comes from a living person whose heart is still pumping. I read they found a pink paintbrush in that fire, too, so Stepmonster proably painted the stain on the wall and didn't notice the tiny dots of blood further down. I pray they find that child's skull because I think that skull will tell the story. This woman is SICK -- Charles Manson-type sick. Demented and psychotic to the max.

Hopefully the Federal court will make sure she never gets out. The plea deal was probably the best route to go. We have all recently seen what can happen when peers decide a murderer's fate.

I think that is answered here.

Once Elisa Baker was indicted for murder, additional, low level felonies were also indicted, and we began the process of preparing for trial. I was determined to clear the dockets if necessary to give priority to the case of Elisa Baker. At the same time, I was aware of the issues that any trial can present. Even with her statements there existed defenses that could be raised at trial, and there are always potential issues on appeal. When Elisa Baker agreed to plead guilty to all felony charges she was indicted for including second degree murder in the aggravated range and be sentenced to 18 years in prison, I conferenced with members of Team Zahra, and I consulted with prosecutors across the State and with members of Zahra's family. Today Elisa Baker was sentenced to 18 years in prison and still faces additional charges in federal court. As the District Attorney, it is my responsibility to weigh the risks and the probabilities in every prosecution. The risk in this case was that Elisa Baker would entirely avoid responsibility for her part in the death of Zahra. The probability was that without her cooperation law enforcement would not locate Zahra's body. The probability of a successful prosecution for first degree murder was likewise very unlikely.

As the burden of obtaining justice for Zahra weighed heavy on my office, I weighed carefully the risk versus the gain in indicting Elisa Baker for first degree murder. I consulted with dozens of prosecutors, experts in the field of criminal law and criminal procedure and with law enforcement. The uniform opinion of all counsel that I sought was to avoid the risk of having Elisa Baker go free and to pursue the second degree charge.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15473441/district-attorney-outlines-reasons-for-plea-deal-with-elisa-baker

As bad as I hate that she didn't get first degree murder and more time I really think that the DA had no other good option but to take this plea. he may have taken more of a chance if the federal charges weren't hanging over her head as well.

Could Adam have left his phone at the work site?

I happened to be at home instead of work on the day this was televised. From the testimony that the police officers gave they do not believe he was involved. They verified with the coworker and with the person they were doing the work for that Adam was working and not with Elisa. Pains me to admit it but I guess I was wrong about Adam. I have believed from day one that he had to have been involved. Even the police officer testified that they thought at first that he was in cahoots with Elisa but after examining the cell phone evidence and with witnesses that he apparently was not.

AB did make the comment that he had smoked marijuana more since May that he had spent time with Zahra. He definitely was absent and neglectful in the care of his daughter. Too bad there is not a charge for that but I guess he will pay for the rest of his life and beyond.

Sorry if this has all been covered but just my 2 cents worth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back