"Cover her face"

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE initially described it as a "violent death", I wonder if there was something that was stalling LE and/or ME’s ability to do their job? Wonder if, in turn, LE allowed her body to be publicly exposed as a means of getting the word out, grabbing peoples’ attention and lots of it, worldwide to boot, with nude, dead, bound photos rather than allowing the case to be more quietly taken care of and possibly forgotten?

And no, I don't recall ever having seen "a similar uncovered deceased body on major news channels in a metropolitan city before." Bizarre!

"It appears to be some type of a violent death, and I'm not going to compromise the integrity of the investigation by giving anything more than that at this time," San Diego County Sheriff's Dept. Capt. Tim Curran said.
7/15/11: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20079761-504083.html

The body was in the privacy of a backyard of a residence. LE didn't place it there. It would only be seen from other private residences or from air space above, neither of which are controlled by LE. LE didn't themselves take photo or distribute them. LE has never controlled the media in the U.S. as far as I know so why would they do anything differently in this case?

JMO

The body was in the privacy of a backyard of a residence. LE didn't place it there. It would only be seen from other private residences or from air space above, neither of which are controlled by LE. LE didn't themselves take photo or distribute them. LE has never controlled the media in the U.S. as far as I know so why would they do anything differently in this case?

JMO

IMO
I'm confused. So let's say RZ did kill herself, are you suggesting that she should have predicted that her death would become a 3 ring circus and it's her fault bc she chose to end her life in the backyard?

I was raised to respect the dead and leaving her exposed was in very poor taste. It was also negligent. LE has stated that they first considered this a homicide but yet didn't protect her body to preserve evidence? LE on the scene should have been suspended and investigated. I don't care if that wasn't the Department's procedure, it show insensitivity and a total lack of good judgement, two qualities LE should possess.

I do believe it was intentionally left uncovered because the death was possibly a homicide. The ME was summoned. Covering it with a tarp would have possibly compromised evidence that might have been on the body.
The media who took photos also blurred the body.

JMO

BBM. I was not suggesting that the body be disturbed by covering with a tarp. There are many tenting and shielding items available to law enforcement. Particularly over a period of 13+ hours one could be supplied once helicopters and gawkers from adjacent houses began.

Here are several which I'm sure we've all seen in photos of normal active crime scenes where there is respect for the deceased.

https://www.lynnpeavey.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=782

https://www.lynnpeavey.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=1053

The only people that should be blamed are the Editors that agreed to air the footage, IMO. LE knew what they were doing and were concerned about evidence. If you want to blame people, call or write the Editors of the stations that aired the footage, not LE who were just doing their job, IMO.

BBM. I was not suggesting that the body be disturbed by covering with a tarp. There are many tenting and shielding items available to law enforcement. Particularly over a period of 13+ hours one could be supplied once helicopters and gawkers from adjacent houses began.

Here are several which I'm sure we've all seen in photos of normal active crime scenes where there is respect for the deceased.

https://www.lynnpeavey.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=782

https://www.lynnpeavey.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=1053

Do you know if SDSO has these, and if so, how many?

The only people that should be blamed are the Editors that agreed to air the footage, IMO. LE knew what they were doing and were concerned about evidence. If you want to blame people, call or write the Editors of the stations that aired the footage, not LE who were just doing their job, IMO.

IMO law enforcement should have been reprimanded or suspended for leaving her exposed basically for the whole daylight hours and compromising the crime scene.

The other issue it was not just the media TV coverage aired it was also the numerous adjacent homes close by which had people viewing from second stories and rooftops. Law enforcement is unquestionably in error IMO.

It is law enforcement protocol to both protect the scene from disintigration and prying eyes.

Are you suggesting they couldn't in 13 hours go to the nearby Sports Authority and purchase one for $50 bucks? It's a beach community and there was probably one in the Spreckles garage for pete's sake.

And please don't suggest that it wasn't worth the money. LE screwed up on all counts. I highly doubt ANYONE would really dispute that fact.

media interest + “air space” + helicopters + cameras + body(nude + bound + dead + outside) – LE covering = exposure to the world

IMO law enforcement should have been reprimanded or suspended for leaving her exposed basically for the whole daylight hours and compromising the crime scene.

The other issue it was not just the media TV coverage aired it was also the numerous adjacent homes close by which had people viewing from second stories and rooftops. Law enforcement is unquestionably in error IMO.

IMO, Rebecca knew well where she was hanging herself naked. LE is not responsible for who saw her, she is, IMO.

IMO, Rebecca knew well where she was hanging herself naked. LE is not responsible for who saw her, she is, IMO.

Law enforcement initially was quoted that it was a brutal death scene. With that acknowledgment, law enforcement had the duty to protect the evidence and the dignity of the deceased. They didn't know if they were dealing with a homocide or a suicide.

Are you suggesting that law enforcement assumed she committed suicide (which is not evidenced by the way) and thus she should not be shielded from view because she would have wanted to be seen?

IMO
I'm confused. So let's say RZ did kill herself, are you suggesting that she should have predicted that her death would become a 3 ring circus and it's her fault bc she chose to end her life in the backyard?

I was raised to respect the dead and leaving her exposed was in very poor taste. It was also negligent. LE has stated that they first considered this a homicide but yet didn't protect her body to preserve evidence? LE on the scene should have been suspended and investigated. I don't care if that wasn't the Department's procedure, it show insensitivity and a total lack of good judgement, two qualities LE should possess.

A suicide--by legal definition--is the fault of the deceased.

JMO

Law enforcement initially was quoted that it was a brutal death scene. With that acknowledgment, law enforcement had the duty to protect the evidence and the dignity of the deceased. They didn't know if they were dealing with a homocide or a suicide.

Are you suggesting that law enforcement assumed she committed suicide (which is not evidenced by the way) and thus she should not be shielded from view because she would have wanted to be seen?

I don't know that protecting "the dignity of the deceased" is a duty of police. I think that might fall under the duties of the Medical Examiner.

I truly don't understand all this outrage a year later for a suicide that occurred on private property. When LE shields a body from public view, I think it is to protect the public, especially children, not the victim.

JMO

That has NOTHING to do with law enforcement's responsibilities at a potential crime scene.

Link, please, to law enforcement's responsibility to "protect the dignity of the deceased" at a potential crime scene that occurs on private property. I don't believe such an obligation exists.

JMO

Precisely, they DID know what they doing. AND were concerned about evidence. I totally agree.

Hmmm.....

Shame on them for not following protocol.

Link, please, to law enforcement's responsibility to "protect the dignity of the deceased" at a potential crime scene that occurs on private property. I don't believe such an obligation exists.

JMO

At any and all 'potential crime' scenes, no matter where a dead body is found...private or public property...an obligation/duty most certainly DOES exist to preserve evidence. That includes a naked, gagged, bound and appeared to be hung Asian woman...as part of the evidence.

At any and all 'potential crime' scenes, no matter where a dead body is found...private or public property...an obligation/duty most certainly DOES exist to preserve evidence. That includes a naked, gagged, bound and appeared to be hung Asian woman...as part of the evidence.

I also agree that LE's duty is to preserve evidence. Placing a covering on a body doesn't preserve evidence, it compromises it.

JMO

I do believe it was intentionally left uncovered because the death was possibly a homicide. The ME was summoned. Covering it with a tarp would have possibly compromised evidence that might have been on the body.

The media who took photos also blurred the body.

JMO

BBM

Do you suppose LE would leave a dead body unprotected if raining? How about the rain compromising evidence?

JMO

There was nothing private about that backyard. I dare say the teen-age boys could have peed off their roof top into Shacknai's 'private' yard if they so desired.

If they did have them, they certainly didn't want to use them. Or perhaps they spent all of 12, 13 hours looking for them?

I don't know that protecting "the dignity of the deceased" is a duty of police. I think that might fall under the duties of the Medical Examiner.

I truly don't understand all this outrage a year later for a suicide that occurred on private property. When LE shields a body from public view, I think it is to protect the public, especially children, not the victim.

JMO

Most LE shield bodies they suspect to be victims of brutal and violent crime to preserve the scene.

I also agree that LE's duty is to preserve evidence. Placing a covering on a body doesn't preserve evidence, it compromises it.

JMO

I see you read and responded to post #43

JMO

Don't most police departments take an oath "to protect and serve" (obviously there are variations) their community?

JMO

A young woman was found to have died a violent death under suspicious circumstances. Protecting the dignity of the deceased was the duty of every LE officer whether they were investigators or medical examiners. That was obvious. Why would you think that it wasn't their responsibility?
When LE shield the body it is done to protect sensitive public but also to protect the dignity of the deceased and their family from indecent exposure.

A normal person would not want their family member exposed the way that Rebecca was. She was a person who had been loved and valued. No one knew at that point how she died and imo we still don't know.

To the world at large it appeared that she was murdered and died a horrible and violent death. Yes I know that there are some people who do not care about the way she was treated but many people feel very strongly that what happened to her and her family was very wrong.

I think it has to do with what emotions you are capable of. Some people are capable of great love and can care about what happens to even a complete stranger. However, as we all know then their are those who don't care unless they will benefit somehow and still others who are filled with almost pathological hatred and contempt for certain people and/or people in general.

I think Rebecca and her family appeared to be fairly decent but not perfect people. Most people wouldn't wish them harm and just feel bad for them. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Why should people care less if a person was murdered and disrespected on private property as opposed to public property? A crime and abuse of one's power and position is just as wrong no matter where it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member