AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Child Protective Services is taking some serious notes or that other people step up and report things that so far have gone unreported regarding abuse against these kids.
DH faces no charges now, but I hope a Judge demands counseling for his victim.

I'd even take it a step further to inquire about grades in school & extra curricular activities, how many absent days, dental & health, etc.

I don't think that it's true that nobody "gives a rip". Her parents and siblings love her very much. They might not be well educated nor did they have upstanding role models themselves (trust me, they did not), but they're doing the best they know how. Sure they've made mistakes, but it wasn't out of lack of concern for their children. They live in a poor state with very limited social organizations set up to help them learn how to improve. I'm not making excuses, I'm just explaining how it happens that kids growing up with poor role models never learn how to break the cycle.

Like I said before, I hope the silver lining is they do learn some new skills so the next generation is different.

There are plenty of young people that have educated and upstanding role models and they still chose to be in similiar situations. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

FootballMom, that timeline is just going above and beyond. You are so committed to helping BW. I hope one day she knows to what length strangers went to help bring her home.

I have no idea. If the allegations of sexual abuse are true, then I'd say he's capable of most anything. MOO I consider child predators the worst kind of evil.

So do I. Sharing drugs is wantonly enabling somebody. It's scary to know he had an addiction to certain pain meds & shared them. It's even more creepy knowing he killed himself right before he was supposed to be interviewed again. I wonder if a pain killer could have been used on the child. Half a tab would have knocked her out.

FootballMom, that timeline is just going above and beyond. You are so committed to helping BW. I hope one day she knows to what length strangers went to help bring her home.

Totally awesome! I agree! Thank you Footballmom!

There are plenty of young people that have educated and upstanding role models and they still chose to be in similiar situations. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Yep, and conversely we see children raised in the worst of circumstances grow up to achieve amazing goals.

That's so true, too. I've seen many examples of that.

Yep, and conversely we see children raised in the worst of circumstances grow up to achieve amazing goals.

Absolutely! Some alongside those that do the opposite. All things are possible. Sometimes a caring teacher, friend and their family, school counselor, etc. can provide the extra that nudges that child in a different direction.

I don't think that it's true that nobody "gives a rip". Her parents and siblings love her very much. They might not be well educated nor did they have upstanding role models themselves (trust me, they did not), but they're doing the best they know how. Sure they've made mistakes, but it wasn't out of lack of concern for their children. They live in a poor state with very limited social organizations set up to help them learn how to improve. I'm not making excuses, I'm just explaining how it happens that kids growing up with poor role models never learn how to break the cycle.

Like I said before, I hope the silver lining is they do learn some new skills so the next generation is different.

Something bothers me about her dropping out in 8th grade, though. I mean, that's just not normal. Doesn't a teen have to be the age of 16 before legally being allowed to drop out of school, and age 16 would also require parental signatures. Otherwise, once the age of 18 is reached, a child wouldn't need an adult signature bc they'd have the right to do it theirself. In NJ now, the law is even if you're 18 you can't quit school without parental signature. So how could Brittney quit in 8th grade? That would mean she was 16 in 8th grade? For real? So if that's the case, why wasn't the government involved at that time? What was the reason for quitting? Was something happening to her ?

I have no idea. If the allegations of sexual abuse are true, then I'd say he's capable of most anything. MOO I consider child predators the worst kind of evil.
I can just picture DH in a wife beater t-shirt (turning head to puke). I imagine he did as he pleased. :twocents:
JMOO

Speaking of BW dropping out of school in 8th grade:

Who cannot be licensed to drive in Alabama?
An Alabama driver license shall not be issued to:
1.Persons under 16 years of age. (See Pages 2-4 for exceptions)
2.Any person who's driving rights or privilege is suspended or revoked in any state.
3.Any person afflicted with or suffering from a physical or mental impairment which, in the opinion of the Director of Public Safety or examining officer, will prevent such person from exercising reasonable and ordinary control over a motor vehicle.
4.Any person failing to pass the examination when required.
5.Any person who is a habitual drunkard or addicted to the use of narcotic drugs.
6.Any person who is under the age of 19, not in compliance with Alabama Act 93-368, which requires secondary school graduation or current attendance, with limited exclusions

I realize Brittney is 19, but this is probably why she didn't drive -

http://dps.alabama.gov/Home/wfContent.aspx?ID=30&PLH1=plhDriverLicense-FAQ#anchor571797

Something bothers me about her dropping out in 8th grade, though. I mean, that's just not normal. Doesn't a teen have to be the age of 16 before legally being allowed to drop out of school, and age 16 would also require parental signatures. Otherwise, once the age of 18 is reached, a child wouldn't need an adult signature bc they'd have the right to do it theirself. In NJ now, the law is even if you're 18 you can't quit school without parental signature. So how could Brittney quit in 8th grade? That would mean she was 16 in 8th grade? For real? So if that's the case, why wasn't the government involved at that time? What was the reason for quitting? Was something happening to her ?

In 2009 Alabama changed the law from 16 to 17 to drop out.

I think BW's birthday is in the Fall which would have made her one of the oldest in her grade. And she might have she failed 1 or 2 yrs (due to moving a lot...excessive absences...learning issues from being absent...bad attitude). Maybe she started 9th grade then turned 16 and quit and thought it was cool to say 8th grade.

It makes me angry and sad at the same time.

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2009/may/18/new_alabama_law_raises_school_dropout_age-ar-2128699/

Jersey,
I think schools have a difficult time when families move a lot. I think families up and move if they think the school is going to contact child services or if the school threatens to get courts involved. They fly or flee under the radar to keep from being reported. I think schools have to build a case in order to get it into the court system. Something is broke about that though.

JMOO

Do we know if BW moved a lot as a child?

In 2009 Alabama changed the law from 16 to 17 to drop out.

I think BW's birthday is in the Fall which would have made her one of the oldest in her grade. And she might have she failed 1 or 2 yrs (due to moving a lot...excessive absences...learning issues from being absent...bad attitude). Maybe she started 9th grade then turned 16 and quit and thought it was cool to say 8th grade.

It makes me angry and sad at the same time.

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2009/may/18/new_alabama_law_raises_school_dropout_age-ar-2128699/

I thought I read 'somewhere' that Brittney was in foster care or a group home at one point due to bad conditions at home. Does anyone remember hearing that?
imo

Absolutely! Some alongside those that do the opposite. All things are possible. Sometimes a caring teacher, friend and their family, school counselor, etc. can provide the extra that nudges that child in a different direction.

But the child or children NEED to be in SCHOOL!
An Education makes the world of difference and also could mean a different world for the child! There is no excuse for a child to quit school in 8th grade im sorry....You want your children to have a better life than the one you had right?

Is it confirmed that she left school in the 8th grade? How old is that, about 14?

I thought I read 'somewhere' that Brittney was in foster care or a group home at one point due to bad conditions at home. Does anyone remember hearing that?
imo

I don't know that she was ever in foster care, but I know that at one time she lived with an adult relative who allowed drug use in the home. It's not one of the players. This was after PH was born.

I realize I'm new here and don't know how things are usually done, but I feel like it's not beneficial to finding BW discussing what mistakes were made in raising her. There's nothing we can do to change that now. Just my opinion.

I realize I'm new here and don't know how things are usually done, but I feel like it's not beneficial to finding BW discussing what mistakes were made in raising her. There's nothing we can do to change that now. Just my opinion.

Your right but I see alot of ppl here that care and wish things had been a bit different for her is all... We cant change it but u said it best maybe the adults in this family will change and make things better for the rest of the children!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246