GA GA - Jackson Co., WhtMale 608UMGA, 32-65, below Oconee River I-85 bridge, Apr'08

I just want to make sure what I am understanding here is accurate; There have been 4 sets of skeletal remains found in this area and one human skull with no teeth-is that correct? The links to the I 85 skeleton seem to indicate other bones were also found-i just want to make sure I have a clear idea.

I just want to make sure what I am understanding here is accurate; There have been 4 sets of skeletal remains found in this area and one human skull with no teeth-is that correct? The links to the I 85 skeleton seem to indicate other bones were also found-i just want to make sure I have a clear idea.
No, the skeletal remains found on I 85 were skull only. The other remains were found around Georgia. There are no dentals for the skull. No other remains were found.

Am a bit confused by the reporting.

Posted: Thursday, April 24th 2008 at 3:01pm
Skeletal remains found in Jackson County
By Bryan Williams Access Insider
click to enlarge
JEFFERSON – Skeletal remains were found last Friday by hikers along the Oconee River in Jackson County
Jackson County Sheriff Stan Evans said it appears the body was thrown from the I-85 overpass into the riverbed, where it was found. “It had been there for quite some time,” he added.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=209338
Last Friday would be April 18, by my reckoning. Age and gender unknown in this article.

Basically the same info:
Skeletal remains found under interstate bridge
Jackson County
By Merritt Melancon | merritt.melancon@onlineathens.com | Story updated at 10:12 PM on Friday, April 25, 2008

Authorities in Jackson County have asked the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab to try to identity human remains found under a bridge on Interstate 85.

Pieces of a human skeleton, including a skull, were found Friday afternoon by hikers exploring a wooded area west of where I-85 crosses Georgia Highway 98 in Commerce, said David Cochran, chief deputy of the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.

Sheriff's deputies searched the area Saturday morning, collected the bones and sent them to the crime lab for identification.

Until technicians come back with some results, there is little investigators can say. The sex, age and race of the person are unclear at this point, Cochran said.

But then:
http://www.mainstreetnews.com/2008/04:23:08/J0423A.html

Woman’s bones found along I-85
Victim believed to have been thrown from bridge
BY ANGELA GARY
An investigation is under way into the identity of skeletal remains found by hikers Saturday near I-85.
The remains were identified as likely being a female and as having been at the site for some time. Law enforcement officers believe the woman was thrown from a bridge over the Oconee River near Hurricane Shoals Park.
“Investigators met with the gentlemen (hikers) first thing on Saturday morning at the site of discovery, which was under the Oconee River Bridge on Interstate 85 and confirmed that the remains were in fact human,” Sheriff Stan Evans said.

It looks like the same story but it says the female remains were found Saturday and not Friday.

However, in this story it's supposed to be a man:
Skull still a mystery for police
By Merritt Melancon | merritt.melancon@onlineathens.com | Story updated at 11:50 PM on Sunday, June 22, 2008

It's been two months since hikers found a skull near an Interstate 85 overpass in Jackson County, and authorities still have few leads pointing to the identity of the body.

Forensic anthropologist Rick Snow of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, who spends his days putting names to unidentified bodies, has found that the skull had been under the overpass for anywhere between six months and three years.

It belonged to a man, but it doesn't match either of the two headless skeletons that have been found in Georgia over the past year. "It's very, very rare that we see three dismembered skeletons in one year," Snow said.

Suppose the last word is a man:
http://www.georgia.gov/00/case_detail/0,2695,67862954_74030338_129066311,00.html
Jefferson, GA in Jackson County near the Oconee River Bridge near I-85
Date Found: Apr 19, 2008
Race: White
Location: Jefferson, GA in Jackson County near the Oconee River Bridge near I-85
Weight: Unknown
Height: Unknown
Sex: Male
Birth Range: 1943 - 1976
Hair Color: Curly Black Hair
Eyes: Unknown

Skull and four cervical vertebrae found by hikers. Time of death one and a half years to 3 months. Determined to be a homicide.

April 19 is Saturday. Suppose it doesn't matter, maybe the hikers found something on Friday and the sheriff's people found something on Saturday.

Anyway, the thread title seems to be wrong, it's a man.

Didn't find him in Namus, DN link here:
http://doenetwork.org/cases/608umga.html
Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on April 19, 2008 in Jefferson, Jackson County, Georgia
* Estimated Date of Death: 3-18 months prior
* Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 32-65 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: Unknown
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Black curly hair.

Case History
The victim was located near the Oconee River Bridge near I-85. Skull and four cervical vertebrae found by hikers.
Determined to be a homicide.

I just submitted him to GBI as a possible match for the UID. Thanks for the heads up Donjeta.

NamUs page for this UID

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail

Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity Uncertain
Estimated Age Range 32-65
Height Cannot Estimate
Weight Cannot Estimate

Circumstances of Recovery
Skull found with apparent gunshot wound of head

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online