Jodi Arias Trial Discussion #9 *may contain graphic and adult content*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get up early only to be stressed out. This morning didn't seem to go over very well for the State. Now, the jurors are roaming around until Jan. 29th and I'm sure they are just plain confused. I'm starting to get worried.

If you take all the CE and linked it together it can be concluded that no one but Jodi took the gun. That is what CE cases are. The totality of it all.

IMO

Agreed. Circumstantial evidence has put many people in jail.

In the Scott Peterson trial, there is very little, if any, direct evidence connecting Peterson to the murder of his wife and unborn child. Therefore, the prosecution is attempting to show that the circumstances surrounding her death and the disposal of her body can be linked to only her husband.

Here's a link to a good article about CE. When the facts cannot be proven directly:

http://crime.about.com/od/current/a/scott040718.htm

Dunno, there is no real proof that she stole the gun!

Agreed. But I think it's highly suspicious that days (literally DAYS) before Travis was killed the same caliber gun that was used to kill Travis was reported stolen by Jodi's grandparents (who she happened to be living with).

I had a ton of issues with the feed and missed all of it but maybe 5 minutes...did the prosecution rest?

If they are breaking until January 28th...why break again in February for another extended period? This is so weird to me!

well, I think he did good.

He will wait for the defense to put all the other witnesses on and get the real story from them

I know the State has to show the defense it's witness list but does the defense have to share it's own with the State?

This is too much time between the states case and when they will finally decide upon guilt. I hope there is a rebuttal case for the state so he can remind them of the testimony they have heard the last few days.

I agree. In any case, much less a death penalty one, two weeks between the prosecution's case in chief and the defense seems like a flawed schedule. There is a "recency" effect, and IMO, that would make the trial unfair. Granted, the prosecution can rebut and do a compelling closing argument, but this gap in time screams "unfair" to me.

If she's convicted, I bet this would be a ground for appeal somehow.

VERY POOR SCHEDULING.

But the defense now has two weeks to maybe find more evidence to support Jodi. Would have been better if the defense had to put on its case today. They would have been off guard.
If common sense prevails, there will be no worries. JA will be convicted of felony murder.

He thought was a booty call, think she went there to have him once and for all or make sure no one else did MOO

I'm not convinced he knew she was coming to his house that night. I think she showed up and surprised him.

That is what is so riveting..........we have to stay tuned.

Its going to be so different now because he will ask leading questions which means the evidence he wants out will be in the question he asks followed by a short yes or no answers.

I love it when the state is able to ask leading questions.
I'm new to following a trial this closely. Two questions:

1. What's the outline for a trial like this. Prosecutors present case and rest. Defense presents case and rests. Then what should be expect?

2. People are talking about Juan being able to ask leading questions. Was the defense able to ask leading questions during Juan's case? I didn't notice. Is this standard?

I saw on one of the AZ news sites that a woman on death row died in hospital yesterday or earlier today!

Thanks. Well that saved the state some money.

The family of the husband she cruelly murdered Im sure are glad to hear it.

Judge Stephens: "The motion is under advisement, evidentiary hearing January 28, see you then", what is the purpose of an evidentiary hearing?

What can and can't be admitted into evidence. They are also sometimes called Motions in limine/daubert motions to either include, exclude, preclude evidence or testimony.

Quickie question, any word on if JA is still practicing Mormonism in the big house? :floorlaugh:

One thing I am pretty sure of - if Jodi is judged not guilty you are NOT going to see these professional defense attorneys hugging her, high-fiving her, or giving media the bird at their after-party.

Just got this email:

Date: January 17, 2013, 1:51:19 PM EST
Subject: "48 HOURS" INTERVIEWS WITH JODI ARIAS NOW BEING USED IN HER DEATH PENALTY TRIAL

http://bit.ly/Va2xbJ

Jan. 17, 2012

JODI ARIAS TOLD “48 HOURS” ABOUT FORBIDDEN SEX, INTIMATE MOMENTS CAUGHT ON CAMERA AND MURDER – NOW HER WORDS ARE EVIDENCE IN HER LIFE-AND-DEATH TRIAL

“48 HOURS: PICTURE PERFECT – THE TRIAL OF JODI ARIAS”

Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013

Accused killer Jodi Arias talked to 48 HOURS shortly after being arrested in 2008 for murdering her boyfriend, Travis Alexander, and now in a dramatic trial, Arias’ conversation is back to haunt her. Portions of her two interviews with 48 HOURS recounting the night Alexander died in 2008, their illicit sexual relations and her penchant for capturing those moments with her camera, are now being used in her death penalty trial.

“I’ve been sitting a lot in my cell thinking, ‘what a waste,’ you know? I did have my whole future ahead of me,” says Arias, in a story 48 HOURS has been covering for four years. “I had everything to lose and nothing to gain if I killed Travis. I loved him and still love him.”

Travis Alexander, a businessman, was savagely murdered in his home and was found a week later when worried friends called police.

Arias first told 48 HOURS that after another of their sexual encounters they were the victims of a home invasion and two people dressed in black armed with a knife and a gun attacked them. Alexander was stabbed and on the floor. She ran, she says, never telling anyone about what happened in the house that day. She was sure he was alive when she fled the house.

“It was the scariest experience of my life,” Arias says in the interview with 48 HOURS: “Picture Perfect – The Trial of Jodi Arias” to be broadcast Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013 (10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. “It was just so unreal. It was like a movie unfolding. Like a horrible movie.”

At trial, her attorneys say Arias lied, and that she actually killed Alexander in self-defense because she feared she would be killed first. Alexander, Arias claims, had been abusive.

The prosecution and the defense both plan on playing the 2008 48 HOURS interviews as evidence for the jury as they make their cases in the death of Travis Alexander.

Alexander was a successful businessman living in Mesa, Ariz., at the time he met Arias. She was an aspiring photographer who was raised in Northern California. He was a devout Mormon, which meant premarital sex was forbidden. She became a Mormon, began introducing herself as his girlfriend and frequently photographed their sexual encounters.

But there were other women, friends say. Arias found out about the others and they broke up, she says, adding they remained friends. It was after one of their sexual liaisons that Alexander was murdered, raising the question of whether she killed him in a jealous rage or if there really were intruders. Police say all evidence points to Arias, including images from a digital camera found in Alexander’s washing machine.

“It was a true whodunit, right from the beginning,” Detective Esteban Flores tells 48 HOURS. “We had no idea.”

Correspondent Maureen Maher and the 48 HOURS team piece together the tumultuous relationship between Arias and Alexander, as well as the investigation into the murder, using interviews with Arias, Alexander’s friends, police and new trial footage. “Picture Perfect – The Trial of Jodi Arias” is produced by Josh Gelman and Jonathan Leach. Al Briganti is the executive editor. Susan Zirinsky is the senior executive producer.

Follow 48 HOURS on Facebook and Twitter.

###

Press Contact: Richard Huff

I know the State has to show the defense it's witness list but does the defense have to share it's own with the State?

Yes, they do.

But the defense now has two weeks to maybe find more evidence to support Jodi. Would have been better if the defense had to put on its case today. They would have been off guard.
If common sense prevails, there will be no worries. JA will be convicted of felony murder.
The defense can't just start throwing things in to support Jodi. They have to turn anything they find over to the state, there might be an evidentiary hearing, and the prosecution will have the ability to move it not be admitted (especially this late in the game). There are some courts that wouldn't allow evidence (depending on what it is) in anymore (after trial start) but more allowances are usually afforded DP trials.

Now had the judge forced the defense ahead regardless of schedules and maybe them not being prepared to begin their CIC today it WOULD be grounds for a later appeal. MOO

The defense can't pull any suprises at this point. All witnesses and evidence should be submitted before trial. If there is a new witness, the judge has to give the prosecutor a chance to depose them and then determine if the witness can even testify. It would have to be a really good witness to try to pull that off. And, they've had 4 years to put a case together.

I'm not worried at this time about any suprises. The prosecutor would have a field day, and the judge would be none too happy!

JMHO

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads