Penn State athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child rape case #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Rock Center with Brian Williams right now...
Sandusky's attorney is on & Bob Costas' telephone interview with Sandusky.
Unbelievable. Just un-effing-believable!!!

Watching Rock Center with Brian Williams right now...
Sandusky's attorney is on & Bob Costas' telephone interview with Sandusky.
Unbelievable. Just un-effing-believable!!!

I agree...
Costas asked Sandusky "Are u sexually attractive to young boys? - it took him 16.3 seconds to say "no."

epic fail on the part of costas, imo. brian williams thought he did brilliantly, however.

i cannot stand the sound of the sandusky's voice and his bs proclamations are beyond insulting.

Re: McQueary's statement by proxy (as released by someone on his email list) -

I went back and read that section of the presentment and I'm wondering if he's considered the fact that he might be perjuring himself.

From the presentment:

1. The graduate assistant was shocked but noticed that both Victim 2 and Sandusky saw him.

2. The graduate assistant left immediately, distraught.

3. The graduate assistant went to his office and called his father, reporting to him what he had seen. His father told the graduate assistant to leave the building and come to his home.

What he's saying now:

I didn't just turn and run…I made sure it stopped…I had to make quick tough decisions.

So...what quick, tough decision did he make? The presentment indicates he "left immediately." Was that the quick, tough decision?

I hope the posting of this link isn't inappropriate. If it is, please feel free to edit my post.

I searched Sandusky's attorney's name on Google news archives and this Bloomberg article came up - dated July 7, 2010. The date would have been after the grand jury had started on the case. On the other hand, it could have been for any number of different clients, including a PSU football player who was charged with rape (the charges were later dropped). In any case, this article caught my eye because of the mention of media censorship.

2nd judge rescinds newspaper story purge orders
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9GQF8C81.htm

I'm not a Penn State fan or any other university, but I get the feeling that Paterno is the scape goat in this whole mess. Does anyone else agree?

I'm not a Penn State fan or any other university, but I get the feeling that Paterno is the scape goat in this whole mess. Does anyone else agree?

Respectfully, no I don't agree. Unfortunately, there is PLENTY of blame to go around legitimately here and Jo Pa bears a pretty big chunk of it. He does not deserve to bear all of the blame, but I do not believe he is at this point or will in the future.

I'm watching the Bob Costas interview right now. Interestingly enough, the attorney says THEY (not the commonwealth of Pennsylvania) think they've identified the child who was in the locker room the night Mike McQueary allegedly witnessed the rape. This could be interesting...how many kids did he have contact with that they could identify ("use") to play the part of this victim? Given the description in the presentment, McQueary might not have even seen the child's face. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing Sandusky could probably dredge up several young boys that he's showered with over the years that he might not have violated in the same alleged manner.

Jerry Sandusky to Bob Costas in exclusive 'Rock Center' interview: 'I shouldn't have showered with those kids.'

Mon Nov 14, 2011
In fact, one of the toughest allegations...what [Mike] McQueary said he saw, we have information that that child said that never happened," Amendola said.

Sandusky said McQueary's claims are false.

"We were showering and horsing around and he [the boy] actually turned all the showers on and was actually sliding across the floor and we were, as I recall, possibly like snapping a towel," Sandusky said.

Well, there's a writer (blogger?) from the Centre Daily Times who weaves together the Sandusky story and Amendola's requests for expungement in an article dated APRIL 1, 2011.

Very brief excerpt:

So Joe Amendola, the same attorney who thought he could force newspapers to rewrite history if he or his clients request it, issues a statement saying Jerry Sandusky is "deeply disappointed" in two newspapers publishing the story about his client.

Full article: http://www.centredaily.com/2011/04/01/2621067/hope-attorney-has-better-grasp.html#ixzz1dkhKBPcP

Paterno is the biggest name involved with this so that's why he's getting the most attention. Plus all his fans who wouldn't shut up about him and who protested his firing are the ones keeping the attention on him. I don't think it's because he's being scapegoated.

Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing Sandusky could probably dredge up several young boys that he's showered with over the years that he might not have violated in the same alleged manner.

What I'm thinking is more like how many victims will he be able to find and pay off to not testify against him or to testify that he never did anything to them? :furious:

What I'm thinking is more like how many victims will he be able to find and pay off to not testify against him or to testify that he never did anything to them? :furious:

I'm amazed by the fact that he's out and about and could be a threat to some of these young boys/men. I keep hearing the words "you just don't say no to Jerry" in my mind. Hopefully, there are restraining orders in place for the victims and their families.

Hi, Isabelle... :seeya:
When I first heard the story over a week ago, I didn't fully understand why Paterno should resign. But after reading
the entire Grand Jury Report, last Monday morning, I discovered that Paterno did play a very large part in the child
abuse scandal at Penn State.... as did so many others, all the way to the top.

As McC's immediate supervisor, Paterno did not report the incident to the necessary people,
he did not even report the incident as it was told to him by McC. Paterno knew what was
required of him to do, and he told McC he didn't want to know all the details. So, since there
was not a written report or statement by McC, Paterno told his supervisor the way he wanted to.

A criminal act was committed by Sandusky. Paterno knew about the crime, but he minimized it.
He then covered up for Sandusky, thus enabling Sandusky to continue sexually abusing young boys.

As a nurse, I am mandated to report all suspected cases of domestic violence and child abuse. There is a form
that must be filled out and on the back is a list of all people who are mandated by law to report such an incident.

Of course, teachers, coaches, counselors, principals, nurses, doctors... all school & medical personnel ....
are included in the list of persons that are required by law... mandated by law!... to report child abuse.

At the time McC saw Sandusky with a young boy in the shower, he should have immediately stopped it and helped the young victim.

Immediately after that, McC should have filled out the form within 48 hours, kept a copy for himself, and then given
a copy to his immediate supervisor, Joe Paterno, and his immediate supervisor and on up the chain of command.

A phone call should have been made to the 800 number for Childline. A copy of the written report goes to Dept of Public Welfare.... also within 48 hours.

IOW: It is against the law if a written report to DPW and a phone call to Childline is not submitted or if nothing is done or is minimized.
It is not up to anyone to determine whether it is serious enough to give a written report or to make the phone call! It must be done!!!

From § 42.42. PA Code for Suspected Child Abuse—Mandated Reporting Requirements.

".... staff members of a medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency, and who,
in the course of their employment, occupation or practice of their profession, come into contact with children
shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution, school facility or agency or the designated agent
of the person in charge when they have reasonable cause to suspect on the basis of their professional or other
training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse.... "

It then goes on to instruct how and to whom written reports and phone calls are made.
And gives all the information that must be included in the written report.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/049/chapter42/s42.42.html

Well, I'm not a football fan so perhaps this little tidbit is common knowledge to everyone else*.

It's from the December 20, 1999 issue of Sports Illustrated magazine.

Working under Paterno takes something out of a man, too. Sandusky was asked last week if he'll miss Joe Pa. "Well, not exactly," he said. "You have to understand that so much of our time was spent under stress, figuring out how to win. That takes a toll. We've had our battles. I've quit. I've been fired. I've walked around the building to cool off." Paterno says, "I'm not the easiest guy to work with." Millen puts it another way: "Figuratively speaking, that Paterno nose is everywhere."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1017979/index.hm

Hmmmm...."figuratively speaking, that Paterno nose is everywhere."

*I just read it to my husband and he says it probably means fired in anger, rehired, whatever (?)

Also, regarding reporting - I'm not sure if I read it here or elsewhere but does the Clery Act come into play in an instance like this?

The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses. Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education, which can impose civil penalties, up to $27,500 per violation, against institutions for each infraction and can suspend institutions from participating in federal student financial aid programs.

Clery Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm amazed by the fact that he's out and about and could be a threat to some of these young boys/men. I keep hearing the words "you just don't say no to Jerry" in my mind. Hopefully, there are restraining orders in place for the victims and their families.

Even Sandusky's ex daughter-in-law has a RO against him so he doesn't come in contact with her children (S's grandchildren).

Also, regarding reporting - I'm not sure if I read it here or elsewhere but does the Clery Act come into play in an instance like this?

The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses. Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education, which can impose civil penalties, up to $27,500 per violation, against institutions for each infraction and can suspend institutions from participating in federal student financial aid programs.

Clery Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does. Is that the law that was initiated because of cases of date rape on college campuses?

ETA: OK... I just read through it and the Act is named after a Lehigh University freshman, Jeanne Clery, who was raped and murdered in 1986.

If you scroll down, it lists 2 colleges that were fined, the amount of the fine and the crime not reported.
Then immediately following those 2 schools, is this paragraph:

"Penn State University:
The U.S. Department of Education is investigating Penn State over the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal.
Their investigation arises from the athletic department's failure to report the alleged abuse being a violation of the Act.[7]
"

Even Sandusky's ex daughter-in-law has a RO against him so he doesn't come in contact with her children (S's grandchildren).

Fortunately, she got a judge to sign off on it.

(I have to wonder if Mrs. Sandusky won't try to have it revoked)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17