The 132-Pound Toddler

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
This breaks my heart and also makes me very angry... There doesn't seem to be a medical reason, really.

The 132-Pound Toddler

The Sun newspaper reported he is getting so big that his parents are frightened of him — and they claim the youngster throws vicious tantrums if they try to stop him from gorging on huge plates of ribs and rice. They claim that although they try to cut his meals, he has gained 21 pounds in the last year.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/health/2011/04/01/day-life-132-pound-toddler/#ixzz1IKTBS8ij

Have they tested him for that disease, cannot remember the name, where children have uncontrollable appetites ? I have seen specials on it before and many of the kids have to live in institutional settings with other sufferers because it becomes a life and death struggle to keep them away from food. It is hard to believe he chooses to eat so much at such a young age.

They've tested him and can't find anything wrong. One doctor said he thought it was a brain tumor but the others say there's nothing at all. He was a preemie and at about 3 months started rapidly gaining weight. And has never stopped. From the article, it sounds like he started catching up weight-wise and his parents then just kept feeding him - a lot. And now when they stop, he cries. So they let him eat... One of the doctors even comments in the article that the parents need to say 'no'.

I can't imagine it's just his eating... obese children that eat and eat are unfortunately common, this child is off the charts. May he get safely to an age of reason and control so his parent's can guide him.

I think you're thinking of Prader Willi(e) syndrome...

I think you're thinking of Prader Willi(e) syndrome...

Could this be detected by checking hormone levels or not? I believe the article said that all of his hormones and labs were normal. Not sure what all they checked for, though. Hopefully with the publicity of MSM now, someone will reach out to the parents who may have more answers.

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/prader-willi-syndrome/overview.html

Signs of Prader-Willi syndrome may be seen at birth. Newborns with the condition are often small and very floppy. Male infants may have undescended testicles.

As the child grows older, laboratory tests may show signs related to morbid obesity, such as:

* Abnormal glucose tolerance
* Above normal level of insulin in the blood
* Excessive carbon dioxide levels
* Failure to respond to luteinizing hormone releasing factor
* Lack of oxygen supply

There may also be signs of right side heart failure and knee and hip problems.

Obesity represents the greatest problem to health. Limiting caloric intake will control the obesity but the family, neighbors, school, and other institutions must cooperate closely as the child will attempt to obtain food wherever possible. Exercise can increase lean body mass in children with Prader-Willi syndrome.

I was reading about this after a CSI episode
and on one of the support group pages I was reading it seems like not all kids have the same symptoms and a lot of parents went through heck before finally getting a diagnosis at ages 3 and 4.
The extreme tantrums seem to be a norm, but it's hard to tell what is and isn't controllable on the children's part because a lot of them have diminished mental capacity..

Here you go - good call, Peeps...

That is exactly what he reminded me of. I saw a special and one of the girls reminded me very much of this poor little boy. She threw tantrums too, even as a toddler, and they both obsess about food, and are never full. I bet this is
what he will be diagnosed with.

Very sad. Toddlers don't know how to fix ribs and rice.

This breaks my heart and also makes me very angry... There doesn't seem to be a medical reason, really.

I bet he's got some sort of genetic disorder, like Prader-Willi syndrome or something of the sort.

If he does have Prader Willi Syndrome, his parents are not to blame.

There is interesting information, at that site. JMO but I don't think his condition is simply because his parents overfed him (although that is a contributing factor).

I hope he gets the medical help he needs.

Wow - in comparison to my teen (14 and 5'7) who weighs 149, this is just astounding. And, yes, my son has a tiny pooch which he's working on.

I think this toddler has some sort of disease like Prader Willi Syndrome. Some intervention is needed asap because he could already have diabetes and artery clogging.

Bless his heart!

Mel

If he does have Prader Willi Syndrome, his parents are not to blame.

There is interesting information, at that site. JMO but I don't think his condition is simply because his parents overfed him (although that is a contributing factor).

I hope he gets the medical help he needs.

Exactly. He probably has a genetic disorder, even if it's not Prader Willi syndrome, it's got to be something else of a similar nature.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back