17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Zimmerman did pull the gun first, I'd say you're correct. He loses his right to SYG because he made the first aggressive action - pulling a weapon out/showing it in a threatening manner (which is, itself, a crime). It's also entirely possible that Martin felt the gun/saw the gun when he was allegedly on top of Zimmerman, though.

It's possible, but I think the whole "He reached for his phone" was actually "He reached for his gun." I don't believe George had the time or even the thought of putting his phone away while expecting a call back from LE at any time. I believe the phone was most likely still in his hand. It would also be interesting to know where his phone was when police arrived... I'm thinking that it was probably somewhere on the ground as he couldn't call 911 himself.

MOO

One of my favorite quotes comes from the book "The Art of Worldly Wisdom" and it is the main reason that I do not trust people who over exaggerate:

Never exaggerate. It is a matter of great importance to forego superlatitives, in part to avoid offending the truth, in part to avoid the cheapening of your judgment. Exaggeration wastes distinction and testifies to the paucity of your understanding and your taste. Praise excites anticipation and stimulates desire. Afterwards when value does not measure up to price, disappointment turns against the fraud and takes revenge by cheapening both the appraised and the appraiser. For this reason let the prudent go slowly, and err in understatement rather than overstatement. The extraordinary of every kind is always rare, wherefore temper your estimate. Exaggeration is akin to lying. Through it you jeopardize your reputation for good taste, which is much, and for good judgment, which is more.

- The Art of Worldly Wisdom - Baltasar Gracian.

Lola, that is great advice for giving a deposition. But ours would be a dull and utterly humorless world without everyday hyperbole.

It's possible, but I think the whole "He reached for his phone" was actually "He reached for his gun." I don't believe George had the time or even the thought of putting his phone away while expecting a call back from LE at any time. I believe the phone was most likely still in his hand. It would also be interesting to know where his phone was when police arrived... I'm thinking that it was probably somewhere on the ground as he couldn't call 911 himself.

MOO
I'm honestly not sure we'll ever know to any great degree what happened at that moment.

I have enjoyed the lively debate I'm this thread even though we don't all agree with everything others say. Most posts are thought provoking and some provide the badly needed humor :floorlaugh:.
IMO there will not be a trial. I think MO'M will convince GZ to take a plea deal and I think the state will also prefer this because the case would be resolved with the least amount of circus and no public disturbances. This will mean that we will not get all our questions answered. I think those in Florida's judicial systems learned from last summers circus/trial.
I do think there may be a hearing on the SYG issue, but no trial.
This is JMO

Another thing I guess could be asked is... if George was waiting for LE to call him back so he could tell them where he was, why wasn't the phone still in his hand?

eta: Why did he have to reach for a phone that should have been in his hand? How long before he hung up the phone until the altercation?
BBM
I would have to ask how long it would take to put his phone in his pocket? Maybe a couple of seconds. JMO.

But, but... how would he have the presence of mind to holster weapon when he was barely conscious and the the last thing he remembers is moving his head from the concrete and, well, you know...??

"George was out of breath, he was barely conscious, his last thing he remembers doing was moving his head from the concrete to the grass, so that if he was banged one more time he wouldn't be -- you know, wearing diapers for the rest of his life and being spoon fed by his brother, and there would have been George dead had he not acted decisively and instantaneously in that moment when he was being disarmed by --"

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...29/pmt.01.html

You forgot the part where George was choking on all the blood that came from his nose that mysteriously didn't get on his shirt or jacket..:moo:

I have enjoyed the lively debate I'm this thread even though we don't all agree with everything others say. Most posts are thought provoking and some provide the badly needed humor :floorlaugh:.
IMO there will not be a trial. I think MO'M will convince GZ to take a plea deal and I think the state will also prefer this because the case would be resolved with the least amount of circus and no public disturbances. This will mean that we will not get all our questions answered. I think those in Florida's judicial systems learned from last summers circus/trial.
This is JMO
Man, if a plea is offered and Zimmerman takes it (and it's a significantly lesser penalty)... I'm not sure I'd want to be a part of that prosecutorial staff with the violent extremists looming.

I'm honestly not sure we'll ever know to any great degree what happened at that moment.

I think we can make a reasonable conclusion if and when we get all the evidence? I've always thought George pulled that gun out and the whole altercation was because of that action on George's part.

That is really the reason I want to see his written statement, recorded interview, and the walkthrough of the events that happened that night. I want George's words. Not anyone elses.

MOO

SORNGLINE REPLY
I would never watch this O'Donnell again he is a pack of wolves all by himself and I have no use for the likes of him.
IMO he needs civility lessons.

There are people in business that I consider I know them really well. But if you ask me what is their favorite food,
or color is, I have no clue. There are many people we vouch for regularly as being good people whether in business,
or in the area. How many reference letters have I written for people for jobs? MANY!
Same with some of my neighbors whom I know for 30-40 years --- but if you ask me have they ever been outside of NYS
I would not know.
So what if Oliver does not know him as well as you and some others say.
He knows him enough to know what he thinks of him, or if he trusts him, Does he have to know his intimate personal business???
I don’t tell anyone in my work, or neighborhood my personal business.
not even of my friend know my personal business, maybe one/two know more than the rest of them.

I think this case is bringing out the worst in people. I am astonished how this Man Oliver stands up to it all.
I would probaly tell them all to Go F off.

Rsbm

Is that your way of saying Joe Oliver lied, but he still deserves to be viewed credibly? He let people characterize him as GZ's good friend, knowing all the while he didn't know him. He admitted it. So what if Lawrence O'Donnell's interrogation wasn't pretty or tactful. He solicited the necessary info, and Joe Oliver went bye-bye! I'd say that's a job well done.

This is JMO

You may be right, mom. But from what I've read, AC is known for not offering plea bargains. We shall see. :)

BBM
I would have to ask how long it would take to put his phone in his pocket? Maybe a couple of seconds. JMO.

Yes, a couple of seconds, but why would he put his phone back in his pocket when he was expecting a call any second? He was following a suspicious person, who was on drugs, and checking him out. Unless he put the phone in his pocket so that he could take the gun out of the holster before he even caught up with Trayvon? That could be possible too.

MOO

Oh, I didn't, nor that moving his head from the concrete to the grass was "the last thing he remembered doing."

BBM: Yep, yep, I picked up on that, next we are going to hear he doesn't "remember" shooting Trayvon because he was so injured he blacked out.

Natasha Richardson did not have one band aid. the ambulance came she said she is fine, she did not want to go with them
and just wanted to go to her foom to lay down. She never got up. I got this from a link that is not MSN or Fox.
And we do not need another virus. but the info below is a fact....

According to published reports, all present at the scene thought that the head injury sustained by Richardson was minor.
She was not unconscious, was able to fully respond to those offering her assistance and refused further medical evaluation.
Only later did she begin to develop a severe headache and was rushed to the hospital where it was discovered that she
sustained a brain hemorrhage causing pressure changes within the skull resulting in brain damage.

tbh, I'm so tired of seeing Natasha Richardson's injury repeatedly being compared to GZ's alleged injuries. Obviously, GZ's alleged injuries were no where near as serious as NR's were, or he'd have died by now.

Also, I believe someone yesterday pointed out that there is a big difference between being "cleared" by the EMT's and refusing further medical care when the EMT's suggest it.

It can't go both ways--with GZ allegedly moving his head off the concrete for fear the next hit would, as his brother said, leave him in diapers and being spoon-fed the rest of his life, or having such minor or nonexistent injuries that the EMT's and GZ did find them worrisome enough to seek immediate medical attention. It doesn't jive for me.

IMO

Yes, a couple of seconds, but why would he put his phone back in his pocket when he was expecting a call any second? He was following a suspicious person, who was on drugs, and checking him out. Unless he put the phone in his pocket so that he could take the gun out of the holster before he even caught up with Trayvon? That could be possible too.

MOO
That's actually a valid point I had not considered. He may have stuck it back in his pocket out of habit on his way back to his vehicle. If he felt he was in any danger, I'd have expected for him to keep it at the ready...

Then again, we also don't know how reliable that version of events is, anyway. I'm with you on wanting to see what he initially told police.

Was the hypothetical that every "negative" opinion about someone outside your race/gender/sexual preference is "animus." IMO, that is ambiguous to the point of indiscernible. And not very practical from a safety standpoint when you are, like me, a small woman who has received her share of hostile attention from men throughout her life. Granted, I don't carry a gun so I'm not in danger of shooting anyone. But still, I reserve the right to be suspicious of any man that creeps me out (and even ones that don't).

JMO, OMO, and :moo:

And I was saying you have that right. It isn't illegal.

This has become a game of telephone. My original point was that racial profiling may be illegal for certain representatives of the government under certain conditions, but it isn't illegal for private citizens such as GZ or you or me.

HiHater merely added that if I act illegally based on a racial profile, that profile might be considered evidence of bias under hate-crime statutes.

So, no, nobody said or implied that every critical thought about a member of a minority is animus, racial profiling or a hate crime. Okay? :)

But, but... how would he have the presence of mind to holster weapon when he was barely conscious and the the last thing he remembers is moving his head from the concrete and, well, you know...??

"George was out of breath, he was barely conscious, his last thing he remembers doing was moving his head from the concrete to the grass, so that if he was banged one more time he wouldn't be -- you know, wearing diapers for the rest of his life and being spoon fed by his brother, and there would have been George dead had he not acted decisively and instantaneously in that moment when he was being disarmed by --"

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...29/pmt.01.html

You forgot the part where George was choking on all the blood that came from his nose that mysteriously didn't get on his shirt or jacket..:moo:

I'm not as curious about how he holstered his weapon as I am about how he was able to keep screaming:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS0h9D9TIv0"]Questions For Robert Zimmerman Jr - YouTube[/ame]

Man, if a plea is offered and Zimmerman takes it (and it's a significantly lesser penalty)... I'm not sure I'd want to be a part of that prosecutorial staff with the violent extremists looming.

IMO it will be bad, but with a trial verdict it will be worse whatever the outcome. There have been peace makers here since the news broke. I think they are from the dept of justice and they work with different groups in the community to keep things peaceful. It has been very helpful. The mayor requested their presence.
JMO

That's actually a valid point I had not considered. He may have stuck it back in his pocket out of habit on his way back to his vehicle. If he felt he was in any danger, I'd have expected for him to keep it at the ready...

Then again, we also don't know how reliable that version of events is, anyway. I'm with you on wanting to see what he initially told police.

BBM I don't think he was ever on his way back to his vehicle?

MOO

But why that particular blow? Why not the one before that or the one before that?

Look, this discussion is getting ridiculous. I stated already that it's the wording of the bolded: "The last thing he remembers doing was moving his head from the concrete to the grass, so that if he was banged one more time, he wouldn't be, you know, wearing diapers for the rest of his life and being spoon-fed by his brother" that I find so over the top, as if GZ knew exactly how many blows he could take before he'd be paralyzed.

If you interpret it differently, ok. Then we disagree.

Not to mention, if someone is "barely conscious" and is supposedly being beaten on, having his head smashed into concrete, how could they possibly think that moving his head over a few inches would stop the attacker from picking up his head and moving it back?

Just picture that for a moment, if you will. What did GZ say to Trayvon? "Ummmm, do you mind if I move my head about 4 inches to the left, so that the next time you smash my head on the ground, it will be grass instead of pavement"?

Just picture it.

You're right, its just so ridiculous! (Said in my best Ricky Ricardo voice/accent)

BBM I don't think he was ever on his way back to his vehicle?

MOO
In that version of events, he was, iirc. I don't think it's necessarily fair to pick and choose which parts of the story are credible and which aren't. Either the father's story is entirely credible, or parts of it aren't (which would damage the credibility of the entire story).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member