PA PA - Iris Tyson, 23, South Philadelphia, 8 May 2011

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Pretty Iris Tyson aged 23 set out to get her mom a card for mother's day from her South Philadelphia home. When Iris hadn't returned from the store her parents called police and reported her missing by 6:00PM.

Sadly Iris's father had to identify her body which was found two miles away in a weed strewn lot. It appears Iris had died from blunt force trauma to her head.

Just as sad is her parents had called local TV stations in hopes they'd be able to help. News folks came out and interviewed them but never ran the story.

This is so sad. I live here and had no idea a beautiful young woman was missing for that long. Over and over again we see missing people overlooked due to race or socio economic backgrounds. Iris deserved media attention IMO. Now her poor parents are left to wonder what happened to their daughter when she set out to the store on Mother's Day. RIP pretty young lady. People do care.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/121991944.html

Filly I don't know what to think? so sad :(

Any rumors what might happen?

Another beautiful young woman who leaves behind a pond of broken dreams, fed by a river of murder.

So tragic.

:(

fran

PHILLY COPS BAFFLED BY BRUTAL IRIS TYSON MURDER

Her sister Carol Leidy said that Iris was very close to her parents and particularly her mother and that everyone looked up to her. Irish hoped to be a veterinarian.

She said: "We made a bond - that she would be the godmother to my first child someday and that I would be the godmother to her first child. Now I'll never have that."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://crimesceneusa.blogspot.com/2011/05/philly-cops-baffled-by-brutal-iris.html

I hope her family and friends are able to find some comfort in the midst of their grief. How incredibly sad. :(

Resqx, did Iris live relatively close to where that creep just tried to abduct the little girl? Again, I don't know that part of SP real well. I'm thinking it's close. Makes ya wonder.

Beautiful girl, Iris was. My heart breaks for her family. I still can't shake how they said she had been looking out the door. On the surface it's like big whoop everyone looks out the door, but it seems like she was maybe waiting on someone.

Special thanks for bumping the thread.

Resqx, did Iris live relatively close to where that creep just tried to abduct the little girl? Again, I don't know that part of SP real well. I'm thinking it's close. Makes ya wonder.

Beautiful girl, Iris was. My heart breaks for her family. I still can't shake how they said she had been looking out the door. On the surface it's like big whoop everyone looks out the door, but it seems like she was maybe waiting on someone.

According to one of her missing person posters, Iris Tyson was last seen at 4th & Ritner streets, which is only a couple blocks away from where the little girl was nearly abducted, near Lee & Porter streets.
Iris' body was found down a dead end street in an overgrown lot amid rotting rowhomes on South Sydenham Street, near 16th & Federal.
Most certainly, Carlos Figueroa-*advertiser censored* should be questioned about Iris Tyson's disappearance and murder.

sorry just saw your post.

very close by.

what bugs me is the police refused to take it seriously...the press also. i read about it on facebook where her friends and family were asking for help. the cops wouldnt listen right up until they found her body.

sorry just saw your post.

very close by.

what bugs me is the police refused to take it seriously...the press also. i read about it on facebook where her friends and family were asking for help. the cops wouldnt listen right up until they found her body.

No apology necessary. Thank you.

Having to agree with O'Really. How long was that guy prowling South Philly?

Never heard this story before.

Having grown up a bit in Philly and walked some of those streets, I can't believe no one would see a woman being assaulted on a weekend afternoon around those parts. You have plenty of row houses and car traffic, but no one saw anything?

I wonder where she was going to shop? Did she take public transportation?

Where would she go shopping? Possibly center city on Walnut or Chestnut Street? How do you get there from 4th & Ritner? Probably a bus.

Wouldn't she likely walk with a friend? She was that independent to go shopping herself?

Where is it more likely you would get hit on the head? I would think maybe she made it to a store downtown, and got hit in a secluded area, with less people around. I have a hard time believing it all went down out in the open.

She would not have walked to 16th and Federal. I would think a street smart city girl would not accept a ride from a stranger.

Maybe a panhandler or street person ran into her.

Just rambling searching for thoughts............

And I agree that it is appalling that the news doesn't give you any news on these stories.

How can a story like this NOT be news, but 90% of the time is spend of sports, weather, and other nonsense?

I watch the local news often enough, and have no recollection of this story. There really needs to be more awareness from the media.

Wow. Until August, I lived right in this area - 10th & Cantrell - with my wife. Used to walk the dogs on Ritner all the time. 4th and Ritner isn't particularly on the way to where I would think she would have wanted to go to buy a card, if she lived on American Street, but still. Real failure to get info out about this case. Wow.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back