Analysis of Casey's Clothes and Body Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Human beings naturally notice others' appearance, anyone who says otherwise, imo, is being less than honest. We read people by way of observation - what we see - such as attractive physical features, unattractive physical features, obvious physical abnormalities - limps, moles, scars, missing limbs,... facial expressions - scowl, smile, frown, raise eyebrows, cry, flushed (anger, embarrassment, or menopause as in my case),... mannerisms, mental issues and/or disorders that may have physicals manifestations such as nervous habits; tics, twitches, grinding teeth, shaking hands,... speech; use of words; correctly or incorrectly, choice of words; profanity, context, proper pronounciation, speech sound; lisps, nasal sounding, loud, low, etc,...and Clothes because they represent an individual's choice(s) and judgement and that says something about them also. Some memorable (and noticable) court appearances are PS - "lightbulb" hairdo, MJ - pajama's, CC - revealing a little too much T & A.

I've never heard of a conviction being appealed because the verdict was (or claimed to be) reached based upon a defendent's clothing. My opinion is that a defendent's choice of clothing can hurt some or it can help some but it doesn't carry a verdict in and of itself. There is a natural over-fascination right now in KC's case because we have a mother that never reported her child missing, the child's grandmother didn't find out until 31 days following her disappearance and she called the police, the mother lied throughout her initial police interviews, incriminating evidence has been found against her, she's not talking, her child's body has been found - dead, not only is she not talking, she isn't showing appropriate emotions over the loss of her child and naturally the public wants to know why.

The answers aren't going to come from her therefore we (the public) are left to try to put "her together" like the pieces of a puzzle - just like we do here everyday with transcripts, records, pictures, maps,... all of the evidence, trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. It's not a matter of judging one based upon their looks, certainly there may be some people that do but generally if these are people that you spend any amount of time with whether it be at work, at the gym, co-member's in a group, etc,...people get the opportunity to dispell their shallow assumptions or initial opinions based upon appearances as they get to see you "in action" on a day to day or week by week basis.

That is the case as well for a jury. They will have the time and opportunity to observe KC, although they may never literally hear her speak, they will hear her speak through the evidence and the witnesses presented which imo, won't do well for her but that's her choice, she has the right to get on the stand and to tell her side of the story, in her own words and in her own voice to try to convince a jury of her innocence, if she chooses not to she won't be convicted because of the clothes she wore to court, she'll be convicted on the evidence presented. A jury is going to watch EVERYTHING that she does, every turn in her chair, every smile, wink, nod, scowl, eye roll, tucking hair behind the ear, scratching her nose, rubbing her forehead, her posture, the movement of her lips when she whispers to her attorneys - EVERYTHING to look for some kind of sign that she cares, that she loved Caylee, if she misses her, anything...

MOO

one little thing I noticed which may just be a "nervous habit" , KC kept rubbing the palm of her hand... first thing I thought of when I saw it was Lady McBeth... Im probably reading more into it than I should.. but I kept thinking.. she's "rubbing off the Chloroform spot" (me thinks perhaps, I doth read too much Shakespeare!)

good post nomoresorrow. I'm getting ready to sign off and go back to sleep, but for some reason your post made me think of Debra Lafave, the Fla school teacher who got caught having sex with one of her male students. Her defense attorney argued that she was "too pretty to go to prison"!

I really think all those "sexy" pictures will never make it to trial. They would be called prejudicial and really have no meaning in a murder case. This trial will be all about forensic evidence and not what Ms Anthony does in her spare time.
I would imagine how she appears to a jury will be quite different than how she appears to all the people who have followed this case so closely.
I think Mr. Baez may need a jury consultant though and someone to help with her image. She doesn't need to look like a 30 year old librarian. She should look younger not older. I have to give his team an F for the best dressed prisoner. She looked really uncomfortable and the jacket didn't fit at all.
My fashion statement for the week. :banghead:

To me, the severe hairstyle and ill-fitting and unflattering gray jacket made Casey look unattractive. Since (to me) her mannerisms are inappropriate a lot of the time, making her also look unattractive is a no-no. That jacket looked like it was bearing a grudge!

Ironically, the bun and the jacket kind of brought to mind an atmosphere of eau de prison matron :) I remember some older security guards at work looking like that in the 1970s and 1980s.

Well here is what a body language expert says about Casey

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/1/30/what_anthony39s_body_language_means.html

ORLANDO -- After being told she has to be in the courtroom, a different looking Casey Anthony showed up Friday.

She left the jail's blue jumpsuit behind for a gray suit.

"She's got her hair back in a bun she looks very matronly," said body language expert Susan Constantine.

Constantine has been following the Casey Anthony case for months now.

To the untrained eye, Anthony appeared to sit mostly without emotion, but Constantine said she seems depressed.

“Under her eyes she had dark circles. She had a little extra weight on her. Her mouth was turned down. Her lips were turned down. That's sadness,” Constantine said.

Constantine also observed the mother accused of killing her 2-year-old daughter was uneasy in the courtroom.

"There were several times where she was fidgeting with her hands at one point she was rubbing her hands together and what she was doing was showing she was anxious and nervous,” Constantine said. “She would take deep gulps during the hearing today and she looked like she was very nervous and she was concealing it."

Constantine said in previous court appearances Anthony appeared like she was acting like a movie star, smirking and strutting. She said her demeanor is changing.

“Everything is becoming real to her and its showing on her facial expressions and her demeanor.”

Bold is mine

This is what i definitely noticed the rubbing of the hands like that indicated to me a very nervous young woman up there today.

And at the end of the day her presentation is the LEAST of her problems

Ironically, the bun and the jacket kind of brought to mind an atmosphere of eau de prison matron :) I remember some older security guards at work looking like that in the 1970s and 1980s.

:eek: Oh yeah THE FREAK aka Joan Ferguson from PRISONER Or Officer VERA BENNETT

ITs an Aussie show but google those names LOL

Here you go http://www.prisoner-cellblockh.co.uk/episodes.html from some fans in the UK

Vera is second from the left AKA Vinegar T*ts and Joan is the Last one aka The Freak !

A jury is going to watch EVERYTHING that she does, every turn in her chair, every smile, wink, nod, scowl, eye roll, tucking hair behind the ear, scratching her nose, rubbing her forehead, her posture, the movement of her lips when she whispers to her attorneys - EVERYTHING to look for some kind of sign that she cares, that she loved Caylee, if she misses her, anything...

Yup. I'm sure many (probably MOST true crime buffs) of you have seen the movie "Small Sacrifices" about Diane Downs (played by Farrah Fawcett) attempting to kill her three children (and succeeding with the middle child). The movie was based on a book by Ann Rule, who I believe attended most of Diane Downs' trial. In any case, the image that comes to mind is Diane Downs tapping along, smiling and practically rocking out to the song "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran because she REALLY liked the song. The song was playing on the tape deck as she shot her children and it was played in court. I don't remember now if that was in the book or if it was just a Hollywood flair, but it was quite chilling. I can envision Casey doing something like that.

BTW, DD was up for parole for the first time on December 9, 2008. It was denied.

Ok, people. We now have the handwriting analysis. Can we also have a thread about Casey's body language? I believe it is pertinent.

Here's my contribution: her rigid posture and expressionless face in the cars while being driven away.

I can't really fault her for being tense and not wanting to show emotion while she is in view of hostile crowds and voracious media. If nothing else, there is a VERY real threat to her physical safety while she's being transported, and she doesn't want to give them the satisfaction of knowing that they are getting to her.

ETA: I just realized I responded to a post from last September, but it still applies -- probably more so at this point given that the body has been found and in light of what we've learned since then.

I thought the way Casey dressed in court on Friday was that she was probably finally was listening to her lawyers (I wonder if LKB had anything to do with the makeover of her client?). I also think that if Casey has to appear in court and that both she and her attorneys know that this is going to be a media event that they might as well make the best of it and put her in civilian clothing.

I've read some of the posts here and I also watched the NG show earlier and I didn't think that there was anything wrong with how Casey looked, I didn't think that her jacket was ill fitting at all. It's just that she was sitting down for the whole hearing. (I also watched all the raw video footage on WFTV's website when she walked into court both with and without the handcuffs-waist chain.) Instead of the bun looking matronly, that's how a lot of girls that age put up there hair. I actually thought that Casey cleaned up pretty well and I expect that will be her look when this case goes to trial.

What I wonder is how much of the cleaned up Casey video footage from Friday's court proceedings will be shown on tv shows devoted to this case? I'm sure that was the defense team's intention - to get footage of a Casey that isn't in tank tops, shorts, and flip flops, t-shirts, sunglasses and jeans; or the hoochie mamma gear at a nightclub and parties.

:clap::clap::clap:

ITA !! I could care less wtf she is wearing- she could care less that her daughter is dead (even if she didn't kill her) and that her father WANTS to be dead!

You know I realized that Casey's demeanor was odd in that she doesn't seem to show any grief for Caylee. I would have expected her to flinch every time the word "remains" was said.

But I had forgotten about GA. Her dad is in the hospital after what appears to be a suicide attempt and remains ill enough that he has been confined for 2 weeks now. Did anyone see KC attempt to ask BC a question ? I would have moved JB out of the way to ask "How is my Daddy today ?"

It's really chilling the more I think about her. She is dangerous.

This happens with most defendants, so its not suprising, but I dont think it was well thought out.
Because the public has seen the raunchy pics, and knows her to be a very flirty, overtly sexual young woman, it appears as just another of many lies, trying to present her in any other way.
The jail clothes would have garned more understanding and even relief from the public, imo. Showing that she is focused on the case, not her appearance. JMO

Bolded by me: ITA!

I kind of feel like, what else are you supposed to wear to court? You SHOULD be wearing a suit. Your hair SHOULD be tidy. It is a sign of respect.

I dont know what else everyone expects her to wear.

Personally, I could care less about this.

This is not newsworthy, IMO.

=)

Completely agree with you - I can see us tut-tutting about it, but on the news? That seems really odd.

It IS how one should go to court.

one little thing I noticed which may just be a "nervous habit" , KC kept rubbing the palm of her hand... first thing I thought of when I saw it was Lady McBeth... Im probably reading more into it than I should.. but I kept thinking.. she's "rubbing off the Chloroform spot" (me thinks perhaps, I doth read too much Shakespeare!)

that is the one and only Shakespeare I can quote....know the line (somewhat--been years!) that I think of "out out da*n blood/spot?" can't remember but I know it is in reference to blood...that was what I was thinking with the hands rubbing all the time

that is the one and only Shakespeare I can quote....know the line (somewhat--been years!) that I think of "out out da*n blood/spot?" can't remember but I know it is in reference to blood...that was what I was thinking with the hands rubbing all the time

Me too! Exactly what I was thinking!

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/1/30/what_anthony39s_body_language_means.html

kinda strange because she doesn't even talk about the smiling, flirting stuff..

I also found it strange that she didn't mention "the smiling, flirting stuff". But I found this quote even stranger:
“Everything is becoming real to her and its showing on her facial expressions and her demeanor.”

What?! :eek: I personally believe JB (or someone on the defense team) told KC how she should be behaving, but KC's acting skills are as unbelievable as her lies. IMHO

I really think all those "sexy" pictures will never make it to trial. They would be called prejudicial and really have no meaning in a murder case. This trial will be all about forensic evidence and not what Ms Anthony does in her spare time.
I would imagine how she appears to a jury will be quite different than how she appears to all the people who have followed this case so closely.
I think Mr. Baez may need a jury consultant though and someone to help with her image. She doesn't need to look like a 30 year old librarian. She should look younger not older. I have to give his team an F for the best dressed prisoner. She looked really uncomfortable and the jacket didn't fit at all.
My fashion statement for the week. :banghead:

I think that there is the possibility that the pictures may not make it to trial, certainly the defense will try to keep them out. I can't help but wonder if the prosecution will argue that the pictures not only represent KC's state of mind following Caylee's disappearance, they may also use them to actually account for her time. From what I understand they are date/time stamped, suppose that LE/Prosecution has created a timeline for x, y, and z days using cell phone records(pings), stores/banks video surveillance tapes, etc,...and the time stamped photos are used to fill in a piece of the timeline by showing the date and time of her whereabouts. Maybe the prosecution would have to establish that it's directly linked to the day or days that she committed a crime, i.e, purchased a new comforter to replace missing one,... first, it will be interesting to see.

Forgot to add: I was wondering if she may have had a bullet-proof vest on under the jacket because I noticed "puffiness" on each shoulder which at first I thought was just shoulder pads from the blazer but when I looked closer it looked like a vest...??

MOO

Dressing a person for a court appearance is almost like an art-form, because it's all part of building a mask of sorts by the defense, as they try to put into play a disguise to help get their client off. Humans (with sight) tend to be visually influenced and the courtroom is no exception... so it is understandable that what she wears will be scrutinized, be it by the general public or media. This kind of stands true for witnesses, as well... some jurors do take appearances into account when deciding a witness' credibility.

I wouldn't be surprised that by the time the trial starts, we will have seen Casey's neckline rise higher, the clothes looking more loose and frumpy, and her eyebrows less coifed. She has the matronly hair down pat, but I can see that changing some, because the severity of how it was pulled back in the front gave her a hard look to her face... so I predict we will see a more loose version of the bun hair style. It's all about creating a mask... and truly is a part of a court appearance... and worth discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine