What the ladies think of your fashion

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Sure, you know what you like to wear, but do you have any clue what your date thinks of your look? With the help of three women and a fashion stylist, we put seven common men’s fashion statements on trial. Which ones will live to see date night — and which will get locked away for good by the fashion police? All rise…fashion court is in session!

http://yahoo.match.com/y/article.aspx?articleid=12201&TrackingID=526103&BannerID=709242

Seriously, my acid washed jeans match my frosted mullet perfectly!! How can woman not love that? :snooty:

So, do the ladies of WS agree with the women in this survey?

I haven't been single in almost 2 decades DK but I'll give you my opinion based on if I had to date again.

Baseball caps: Date night-no. Impromtu lunch or any other daytime meeting -if casual no problemo. As long as they take it off to sit down and eat. Just my opinion and my preferences.

Earring(s): No thank you. I'm at an age where when I was in my 20's most men I dated had them and at the time I liked them. My tastes have changed over the years. I probably wouldn't be on a date with someone that has one or both ears pierced. Nothing wrong with it I'm just not attracted to that. No big deal. Again just my preferences.

Bluetooth ear clip: Please take that off while we are trying to get to know one another. If you forget that's fine, just don't take calls or text while we are at dinner or having a conversation. Unless it's an emergency-business, family...etc. If you do have an emergency just apologize and later explain to me why you had to take that urgent call and we should be a-okay.

Fanny pack: That would be a huge no in my mind. Just me and my preferences. I don't care much for men's purses either.

Socks with sandals: I couldn't care less. Although I might suggest to use black dress socks if the wearer insists on wearing socks and to ditch the knee high white tube socks. But all in all I don't care about this.

Ripped/distressed jeans: Distressed if fine. Ripped looks pretty ridiculous on me much less a man my age. Sorry that's JMHO (I'm middle aged). Just wear clean jeans.

Popped (or turned-up) shirt collars: I don't care as long as the shirt is clean.

Sports jerseys: I don't care as long as we aren't going out to a really nice restaurant where it would be seen as too casual. Meh, no big deal to me.

I think the bottom line is to come clean and just use common courtesy's and I probably would just go with the flow. JMHO.

We can't take the cap off to eat. Then we will have hat hair, and quite honestly, noone needs to see that!

We can't take the cap off to eat. Then we will have hat hair, and quite honestly, noone needs to see that!

Exactly!!!! I have been saying that for years! No hat hair at the table! :rocker:

Haha you two! I adopted TX as my homestate a long time ago and it's near and dear to my heart. If that hat is a stetson or cowboy hat by all means---you can leave the hat on :)

Hats are ok by me, my hubs wears a hat daily. I do not ask him to remove it for supper when we are home, but while we were dating, he took it off for any sit down meal. Its a resistol, and it looks very dashing on him :)
Ripped jeans- not for me please. I know you have your faves, I do too. My favorite jeans have holes in the knees, and I wear them on the farm without the least hesitation. you can put on a fresh un_wholey pair when we go out, just like I do.
earrings- that wouldnt fly with me either. I dont wear earrings, and I guess I dont want my date to wear them either. no matter how small or dainty. Im just old fashioned I guess
Sandals and socks- you will be removed from the gene pool with this combo, do not leave your house like this EVER.
Popped collars- too preppy for my personal liking, but its not a huge turn off. If you like the look, then go ahead with this one. I prefer a button down with a button at the neck undone and the sleeves rolled up personally. Its still clean cut looking, but with a little relaxed casual in there
fanny packs and murses- you can go hang out with the socks and sadals guy. You two will probably get along great
sports jerseys-
At a sporting event or in support of your fave team, that is currently playing, at the sports bar we are attending, acceptable. Other than that, you look like you are in your pajamas. I dont go out in my pajamas, you shouldnt either ok?

* qualifier * above statemnets are coming from a new England native, who transplanted to Midwest. age 31

Baseball caps: Daytime dates = ok. Evening date, no, no, no.

Earring(s): I could take them or leave them. I don't care for the stretched lobes though.

Bluetooth ear clip: If you're not making a hands-free call, you don't need it in your ear. If your making calls on a date with me, there won't be another.

Fanny pack: No, just no! On anyone.

Socks with sandals: doesn't bother me

Ripped/distressed jeans: If you're out of high school, no. Distress is okay, ripped is out of the question.

Popped (or turned-up) shirt collars: Nope. This makes you look like a d-bag.

Sports jerseys:Again, daytime= okay. Evening dates need to be a little less casual.

Reading this list, I guess that I've been lucky in my dating years. I haven't had too many guys show up in something that I consider a no-no. My husband showed up for our first date wearing pants that were a bit wrinkled. :D

Baseball caps: I think Baseball caps look good on most men. As long as it's not an old gross looking hat. (and of course not out somewhere nice.)

Earring(s): Not something I personally think is sexy however some men can pull them off so it wouldn't completely be a deal breaker.

Bluetooth ear clip: Using a bluetooth where when you need to be hands free is one thing.. Walking around like it is a fashion accessory or earring is another thing.

Fanny pack: Unless you are doing something like running a marathon or climbing a mountain or something else of the sort I think it's a big DON'T

Socks with sandals: DON'T DON'T DON'T! The only people who can pull this look off is children and that's only because kids are silly. :crazy:

Ripped/distressed jeans: Some guys can pull them off, I suppose.. Still not a big fan of them. This has been a personal pet peeve when I've been shopping for jeans recently. My Favorite jeans ripped in the knee so I tried to find the same brand to replace them but now that the ripped look is in all the jeans I found look worse then the jeans I wanted to replace!

Popped (or turned-up) shirt collars: Big huge DON'T!

Sports jerseys: I'm a sporty type girl and frequently sport my teams gear.. Sox/Bears baby t's, tank tops and girls jersey's are def in my wardrobe so for me it's a do... Not somewhere nice though obviously.

I know it's not on the list, but men in capri pants......NO, NO, NO!!!

I agree fairy1. I would never be caught dead in a pair of manpris. That should be added, but right between the fanny pack and the socks and sandals.

What a second, are you gals telling me there are men out there wearing Capri's????? No freaking way! That's just wrong on so, so many levels......

What a second, are you gals telling me there are men out there wearing Capri's????? No freaking way! That's just wrong on so, so many levels......

Oh lawd yes, I've seen it! :floorlaugh: On a pale skinny guy I used to work with in the midwest. Oh my, if you're not on a beach in Jamaica or somewhere, don't, just don't!

From the women's fashion don'ts:

Fad Fashion #1: Designer sweats/sweats with words on them

I saw a girl at a deli once wearing sweats with a word written across the backside of them. She bent over and the word got longer K-I-S-S. Then she stood up, and it said K/S. lol we about fell out of our seats laughing! :floorlaugh:

Socks with those goofy sandals.... :nono:

Oh lawd yes, I've seen it! :floorlaugh: On a pale skinny guy I used to work with in the midwest. Oh my, if you're not on a beach in Jamaica or somewhere, don't, just don't!

Honestly? No. Not anywhere. Ever. Please!

I live in Vegas and work in the resort/gaming industry. I see things - on both men and women - that should not even be produced much less purchased by anyone. I realize people may be on vacation and wanting to throw caution to the wind! But really.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back