GUILTY NY - Larry Wells, 35, fatally stabbed in Toys R Us, Hamburg, 29 June 2013

crymesolver

Reaction score
Laurence Wells , a 35 year old Toys R Us manager was killed in the store prior to opening on Saturday. An unknown assailant entered the store and stabbed him multiple times around 4:30 am, the manager was discovered by co-workers around 6:00 am. Police have released a photo and also photos of a hat left at the scene.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/hamburg-police-on-scene-at-toys-r-us

This is a quiet area with a pretty low crime rate, I would have to think that this attack was personal in some way, it has not been reported that anything was stolen.

One question: What in the wide, wide world of sports was the manager doing inside a Toys-R-Us at 4:30 in the morning? Why would ANYONE be in there at that hour except on Black Friday?

Will this violence ever stop? Maybe the manager was doing stock work. Imo

Hamburg Police need your help identifying the man seen in these surveillance photos. Police say the man snuck into the Toys “R” Us on McKinley Avenue early Saturday morning and murdered the assistant manager 35-year-old Laurence Wells.

“It looks like he forced himself in through one of these front doors,” said Kashino.

The man went undetected by several employees and made his way to the manager’s office around 4:30, where police say he disabled the surveillance cameras and attacked Wells. However, he didn’t make a completely clean escape. Kashino said, “The guy that committed this murder was wearing this hat inside the building. That's why it's important.”

The hat may be the best piece of evidence left at the scene. Police describe it as a 2007 Florida Gators National Championship baseball cap. They will be testing it for DNA in hopes of discovering the suspected killer.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/police-seek-info-in-toys-r-us-case

Disgruntled ex employee? Someone who knows exactly where the manager's office is and knew to disable the surveillance cameras. A brazen, horrific and very personal attack.

It doesn't shock me that they are there that early. I work at michaels and we have an entire crew of people who start work at 5am, another nearby store does 3ams. My guess is tat the door was unlocked but closed(a very common thing) amd the attacker knew exactly where to go.

It doesn't shock me that they are there that early. I work at michaels and we have an entire crew of people who start work at 5am, another nearby store does 3ams. My guess is tat the door was unlocked but closed(a very common thing) amd the attacker knew exactly where to go.

or it could've been an overnight crew - many big retailers have them

it's gotta be an ex-employee - probably recently fired IMO

One question: What in the wide, wide world of sports was the manager doing inside a Toys-R-Us at 4:30 in the morning? Why would ANYONE be in there at that hour except on Black Friday?

I am guessing he was there working. Either an overnight or early morning shift. There were also other employees present.

they need to release the surveillance images, even if it doesn't show a face - someone will recognize what the suspect was wearing or the way he walks or something ... all they've released is a photo of a hat

also, I assume they are combing through all recent workplace incident reports and terminations

they need to release the surveillance images, even if it doesn't show a face - someone will recognize what the suspect was wearing or the way he walks or something ... all they've released is a photo of a hat

also, I assume they are combing through all recent workplace incident reports and terminations

They already did. The OP article has a surveillance video of the suspect inside the store. Although it's not a very clear image.

or it could've been an overnight crew - many big retailers have them

it's gotta be an ex-employee - probably recently fired IMO

An ex-employee would be easy. Considering his name would be in the store system and other employees could recognize him from the video. Yet they are asking public for help.

He left behind a 2007 Championship UF Basketball hat, they are going to take some DNA from there and hopefully be able to track him down that way, too.

He left behind a 2007 Championship UF Baseball hat, they are going to take some DNA from there and hopefully be able to track him down that way, too.

Was this pure stupidity from the perp, or possibly a set up?

A couple of things I have noted from different articles or video:

I think I remember seeing video saying they didn't suspect any current or former employees, I think it would be easy to track down a disgruntled recent former employee.

Also of note, a nearby (Amherst,NY) Babies R Us (this store was both Babies/Toys) was robbed in 2012, some similarities included time of day, knife, and the disabling of surveillance equipment. Possibly a disgruntled former employee from the region who is familiar with policies, procedure,and the common layout of the stores.

What I would be doing is reviewing hours of film from those cameras from the days/weeks leading up to this incident, I bet you that this person has been in that store in the last few weeks on a dry run, maybe dumb enough to wear the same hat.

The police have released information stating that they have pulled enough DNA from the hat to make a positive match when a suspect is identified, and also run vs the database for a match. I am not sure if this is a strategy to bring the suspect out, but I am not sure if I would want this out there. Much easier to get DNA from suspects when it is voluntary, now the killer knows he has no chance if apprehended.

The manager I believe has worked for Toys R Us for 7 years, but has also worked at another location previously. I don't know what to think, is it a situation where it was a robbery and he resisted. Could it be a domestic situation, I am just not sure what direction to go in.

This location is also very close (3 minutes) to Interstate 90 so it could just be someone passing through, this would be one of the first businesses you would encounter leaving the highway.

I am going to go with a local with issues looking for a quick score, Mr.Wells resisted in some way and it got violent. I am shocked that they don't have a name yet with the evidence in hand. I think this person very likely could have cased the place in the days leading up to this, I would also check cameras from nearby McDonalds,gas stations, liquor stores. There is a apartment complex within walking distance, maybe a store in that area?

The manager I believe has worked for Toys R Us for 7 years, but has also worked at another location previously. I don't know what to think, is it a situation where it was a robbery and he resisted. Could it be a domestic situation, I am just not sure what direction to go in.

This location is also very close (3 minutes) to Interstate 90 so it could just be someone passing through, this would be one of the first businesses you would encounter leaving the highway.

I am going to go with a local with issues looking for a quick score, Mr.Wells resisted in some way and it got violent. I am shocked that they don't have a name yet with the evidence in hand. I think this person very likely could have cased the place in the days leading up to this, I would also check cameras from nearby McDonalds,gas stations, liquor stores. There is a apartment complex within walking distance, maybe a store in that area?

Robbery without stealing anything? It was a very confident attack - they knew to cover their face where surveillance cameras were situated? If it was not work related why murder him at work? And how did the perp KNOW he would be on the premises so early in the morning? This is someone who knew the movements of the victim well. There is opportunity to kill him at home, out of work, or on the way to work... Why AT work where there was surveillance footage? Like I said, very brazen attack. Very bizarre. Hopefully LE know more than us. IMO

A new comprehensive article on this case with some new information, seems like the article is saying the man entered the office , closed the door, disabled the camera, and then laid in wait, that clearly says he was targeted to me. I don't think a robber would do that.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130702/CITYANDREGION/130709841/1002

It also says the only evidence they have is the hat which they are pulling DNA from, I would also consider surveillance tape as evidence. Maybe I have been watching too much TV, but I would think that we could garner much more from the hat than just a possible DNA match. How about race, gender, maybe the presence of a pet, or a smoking habit. Give me any part of those 4answers and it would point me in a direction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back