CA - Librarian Fired for Reporting Child *advertiser censored*

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=62867

WND reported officials in Tulare County apparently made additions to their personnel records after the dismissal of Brenda Biesterfeld to give the appearance there were other reasons for their action.

B@$t@rds!

Pepper, I found the before and afters and posted them. What's interesting is that they rated her a 5 out of 10, like that was a BAD BAD thing. In fact, a 5 by their own scale "is reasonable and consistent with normal expectations of proficiency"

It is a shame that she was fired, but I disagree as to why. The level of documentation of emails, tasks, daily activities is consistent with when the library is concerned with the person's performance. I worked at a state university for a while and we had to do this for an employee so that we would have a case if we let her go right at the 6 month mark when the probabtion period would have ended. The documentation they have on her is countless little things and some not so little things such as filling in time cards wrong. The consistent trail along with the 5 of 10 at her 3 month review leads me to believe she is twisting the case. Many people that apply for government positions and are let go before their probation period put up a huge stink, seek publicity, sue, etc. I think she would have been fired even if she weren't a whistle blower. The law says that you can't be fired for being a whistle blower. It does not say that if you are a whistle blower you are immune from being fired when a case has been built against you for 5 months before the incident.

By the way, i agree she did the right thing, and that many libraries may be too lienent. I think that the library system needs to be evaluated. However, I think the issue that should be evaluated is whether they allow *advertiser censored* to be viewed and how they handle it. I think the library built a strong case against the fired librarian long before the incident.

From About.com:

Under U.S. law, a whistle blower (or whistleblower) is an employee who "tells" on an employer, because he or she reasonably believed that the employer committed an illegal act. Even if it turns out that an employer didn't actually break a law, an employee is still entitled to whistle blower protection from retaliation, if he or she reasonably believed that the employer committed an illegal act.

I would very reasonably believe that it was illegal to knowingly allow a visitor to view child *advertiser censored* on your computer!

Typically, to be entitled to whistle blower protection, an employee must report an employer's alleged illegal act to the proper authority, such as a government or law-enforcement agency.

She called the police.

Ahhh ... I could go on ... this just makes me so angry!! She has GOT to have some kind of legal protection here!

Now the library comes out with this 2nd set of records called a "Drop File" which is supposed to be a secret journal and claim that Brenda gave them permission to release it. IMO, this is a CYA file created after her firing, to justify their actions.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080404/NEWS01/804040338

Records released on the Internet Thursday by lawyers for former Tulare County librarian Brenda Biesterfeld come from two separate files, not a single personnel file.

It is a shame that she was fired, but I disagree as to why. The level of documentation of emails, tasks, daily activities is consistent with when the library is concerned with the person's performance. I worked at a state university for a while and we had to do this for an employee so that we would have a case if we let her go right at the 6 month mark when the probabtion period would have ended. The documentation they have on her is countless little things and some not so little things such as filling in time cards wrong. The consistent trail along with the 5 of 10 at her 3 month review leads me to believe she is twisting the case. Many people that apply for government positions and are let go before their probation period put up a huge stink, seek publicity, sue, etc. I think she would have been fired even if she weren't a whistle blower. The law says that you can't be fired for being a whistle blower. It does not say that if you are a whistle blower you are immune from being fired when a case has been built against you for 5 months before the incident.

By the way, i agree she did the right thing, and that many libraries may be too lienent. I think that the library system needs to be evaluated. However, I think the issue that should be evaluated is whether they allow *advertiser censored* to be viewed and how they handle it. I think the library built a strong case against the fired librarian long before the incident.

Thanks for posting. Check out the BEFORE amd AFTER Library incidents - links posted by Taxi. It's very suspicious - seems the Library may have invented some of the stuff after the facts.

Exactly! :furious:
The ropes and candy were in another man's car after that man was found viewing *advertiser censored* at a different library. Sorry, I should have made that clear. They do mention our case a lot in the article though.

Thanks for posting. Check out the BEFORE amd AFTER Library incidents - links posted by Taxi. It's very suspicious - seems the Library may have invented some of the stuff after the facts.

The very reason I have my opinion is because of the files posted by the librarian that got fired. I think the documentation that she is providing is exactly why i am not going to sing a sob song for her. At the site http://www.lc.org/index.cfm?PID=16698 you can click on the file before she was fired and after she was fired. It is true that the file is much bigger after she was fired and contains a lot of stuff. However, i believe this stuff was accumulated as time progressed and tracked in a side file that they would have for when they fired her. Until the decision is final, it would not have gone in her official file or permanent record. The supervisor emails to her were constantly pointing out details that she needed to be aware of and corrections she needed to make. I've been on the other side of the story here and there are reasons those emails are worded the way they are. There is a reason those comments are in emails and not just verbal. There was a reason this librarian had a 5 out of 10 on her 3 month eval. Sorry everyone, but i have to whole heartedly disagree with everyone here on this. I think there is a legit case for firing her that is completely unrelated to the whistle blowing. If they had that many problems with her during the first 6 months, they did not want to be stuck with a troubled employee potentially for the remainder of her career. After the 6 month probation period they have to decide whether to keep her forever or find someone else. I too would have chosen to look for someone better.

My whole problem with this case is that the librarians are only allowed to "warn" someone looking at child *advertiser censored*. It should be called in immediately to the police and that sicko should be arrested.

There shouldn't be any question about this, especially since this isn't a strip joint where you have to be 18 or 21 to enter! This is a public library, and there are children everywhere.

There was a thread on here a while ago where one of the posters here (don't remember who) was in this situation. I wonder if these are about the same thing? I think she was asking on here what to do. I hate it that I can't trust my memory right now but I'm pretty sure I'm correct about this.

I guess nobody else remembers this?

I barely do....but that's normal with my brain! Do you remember any thing specific we could search for here?

No, nothing specific lol. Our brains must be from the same batch. ;)

I searched here but didn't find anything, I'm thinking it might have gotten deleted.

What I know for sure is there was someone posting being a librarian and she kept catching this guy going to *advertiser censored* sites, but was told by her supervisors she wasn't allowed to do anything about it.

My whole problem with this case is that the librarians are only allowed to "warn" someone looking at child *advertiser censored*. It should be called in immediately to the police and that sicko should be arrested.

There shouldn't be any question about this, especially since this isn't a strip joint where you have to be 18 or 21 to enter! This is a public library, and there are children everywhere.

Thank you Taximom. That is the other point that i wanted to make, but I seem to have glossed over. I think that the library (and perhaps libraries in general) have to look at how they handle this situation. I'd imagine that this is a difficult challenge for them to deal with and warnings and kicking people out of the library is the easy thing to do. It is hard to turn someone in to the police when they know who you are and where you work. The libraries also don't want to be swarmed by police and be known for that. However, when the library tries to preserve it's image as a place for free learning, they probably let a lot go that should be reported and is illegal. Perhaps an anamous tip system with the police could be worked out along with a standard protocal. I think this is a big issue throughout the US that should be dealt with.

IMO, this could have been a coffee house and a waitress turned the guy in. I would say Kudo's to the waitress, we need to put these pervs out of commission, even if its 1 at a time. This woman 100% did the right thing, and now theres a community that says "if I turn someone in for breaking the laws I could loose my job" NICE! I agree with TAXIMOM, they most certainly fired the wrong person.

I worked in my college library when I was going to school. We were told to walk around and make sure no one was looking at inappropriate things and we had a security guard on duty at all times. Granted this was not a public library but the public was allowed in to use the computers and it was downtown so we had a lot of homeless people especially in the winter when it was cold coming in. We never would have gotten in trouble for reporting such a thing.

I understand that libraries don't want to be seen swarming with police. I understand the welcoming, friendly atmosphere libraries want to exude so as to keep people at their branch.

I can tell you this much though. IF I lived by that library, and this remained their policy (we will let people look at child *advertiser censored* on our pc's), I would not be going there. Nor would any of my family members and friends!

By the way, I don't think LE would swarm this library. They would handle it the best way they could and probably just quietly (as possible) remove the offender from the premises.

Whether or not this woman should be fired is obviously in question. There shouldn't be any question about changing this library's policy about anyone viewing child *advertiser censored*. (I would hope it would cover adult *advertiser censored* too, just to keep the kids safe.)

We were at the library the other night and I couldn't help but look at the screens as I walked by! :D It was mostly teens on myspace...which is kind of scary in itself. I bet their parents don't think they have a myspace, especially if they are updating it at the library!

Why hasn't anyone caught on to the fact that the only "news" source for this story so far has been World Net Daily, a right-wing propaganda rag? I rank WND with such "reliable" news sources as The National Enquirer.

It's quite possible that this Brenda Biesterfeld was an incompetent twit when it came to her job. There are two sides to every story. While I find no fault in her reporting a creep viewing child *advertiser censored*, it is possible that she didn't properly inform her supervisor. Ms Biesterfeld could in fact be lying her a$$ off regarding certain statements made by Ms. Hill. Just my opinion.

Why hasn't anyone caught on to the fact that the only "news" source for this story so far has been World Net Daily, a right-wing propaganda rag? I rank WND with such "reliable" news sources as The National Enquirer.

It's quite possible that this Brenda Biesterfeld was an incompetent twit when it came to her job. There are two sides to every story. While I find no fault in her reporting a creep viewing child *advertiser censored*, it is possible that she didn't properly inform her supervisor. Ms Biesterfeld could in fact be lying her a$$ off regarding certain statements made by Ms. Hill. Just my opinion.

Maybe YOU should try googling Brenda Biesterfeld and see how many different independent news sources pop up.

I live in the Central Valley and I can tell you it was big news around here, and there was no "right wing slant" to the news we receive. Check your facts! I heard Ms. Biesterfeld's radio interviews and I am positive she wasn't lying.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back