GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Please continue here.

Previous Threads:

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14

Media Thread

laurengiddings-1.jpg

Lauren Teresa Giddings

April 18, 1984 -- June 26, 2011
Rest in Peace

McDaniel Doesn't Object to Search at Grandfather's Farm

...Giddings' parents, Bill and Karen Giddings, filed a wrongful death suit against McDaniel in June asking for permission to search the 63-acre farm in Pike County.

Thursday's order, signed by Judge C. Ashley Royal, gives the family until June 30, 2014 to do that.

...The lawyer for the Giddings family, Kristin Miller, says they will serve a subpoena to the current property owner and hope to find a forensic expert and cadaver dogs within the next few months. ...
more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/news/topstori...-Doesnt-Object-to-Searching-Grandfathers-Farm

ETA: And... thanks very much, 13WMAZ, for providing a link to a pdf of the discovery document!!

http://www.13wmaz.com/assetpool/documents/130912034445_McDaniel%20Discovery%20Order.pdf

Thanks, Backwoods, for the update.

If the privately retained searchers find something they feel is evidence, are they permitted to call LE to retrieve it as long as the LE isn't from Macon?

Thanks, Backwoods, for the update.

If the privately retained searchers find something they feel is evidence, are they permitted to call LE to retrieve it as long as the LE isn't from Macon?

Great question, pearl, and I don't know the answer. I'm sure they will have some kind of approved system set in place, though, to get any evidence found evaluated and into the right hands.

I wonder if they will find anything relevant. I read the article this morning and wondered who they will choose to do their investigation.

I also wonder if he is certain that they will not find anything because he hid it well or because nothing is there. I am also curious about this witness and how affective she will be if no evidence was found where she pointed LE.

Just a friendly reminder, everyone. If discussing the witnesses, please remember, initials only.

:tyou:

Not sure, tomkat, but I'm thinking if the dogs were near a buried body, they would alert "strongly" and maybe in some certain manner at that spot -- and, I guess, if that had happened, perhaps digging would have been done. Just guessing, though.

Also -- I posted just above -- maybe the dogs detected a piece of clothing, a weapon, etc., that had been in contact with a dead body (whether Lauren's or someone else's) -- something other than actual, recoverable remains left at that spot.

Then I guess the FBI should go back and check it out, OR it may be that cadaver dogs hits is like genealogy research, you can make anything fit if you want to (where it is fact or fiction).

I'm just really disturbed that the cadaver dog hit there and the FBI is saying nothing is there or atleast LG wasn't

So I recall the deep discussion early on here about the cadaver dogs hitting at LG Apts. Seemed to me it was strongly beleived by everyone/most anyway, that the dogs hits are surely a dead ringer. No pun intended

I wonder if they will find anything relevant. I read the article this morning and wondered who they will choose to do their investigation.

I also wonder if he is certain that they will not find anything because he hid it well or because nothing is there. I am also curious about this witness and how affective she will be if no evidence was found where she pointed LE.

Yes I was trying to figure his angle in his cooperation or whatever it was

ORRR, if he objected, then what? Everyone would think stronly then that LG was at the grandfathers property and what....no one could search? Or maybe make someone more determined to search ? I mean do they need SM permission? Or was that just a statement he made? LOL

Everytime I come on Lauren's thread, I am just absolutely horrified to recall the dreadful details of what we know so far.

The worst part is, it is only the tip of the iceburg.

I don't think I can take learning about the physical evidence in this case.

The gruesome manner with which such a beautiful, vibrant soul was taken, will haunt so many people, loved ones and strangers alike.

The fact that part of her remains continue to be stolen and withheld in an evil, despicable, cruel manner from her loved ones is another element of an attempt at power in her death. It makes me SICK.

If his own family cannot find someway to appeal to his purely evil heart in righting his horrible wrong, then there is no hope left for humanity.

With a heavy heart, I remember Lauren tonight. :(

After the little flurry (at the end of the past week) of coverage concerning the civil suit, which did mention that pre-trial hearings in the criminal case are upcoming Monday, I have not seen any further mention of Monday's hearings until just a few minutes ago, on the late news on Macon's 13WMAZ. (Whew -- I was beginning to fear they had been rescheduled.)

Bad news is, 13WMAZ report said they will have "team coverage" tomorrow at 5 and 6, no mention of live-streaming. macon.com hasn't rung in with any plans for that either, thus far.

No link yet for tonight's 13WMAZ broadcast, but I will check later and post the link when it's up.

ETA: Well, still no link, guess nobody's minding the store following the late Sunday newscast! Y'all will just have to take my word for it, LOL.

I am really frustrated with the media coverage in this case right now.

You know, I am not sure that extensive media coverage, live full coverage of hearings, etc. is the RIGHT thing -- but I kinda figure, if you start out that way, you should finish that way, barring a gag order. Has anybody heard anything about a gag order? Because I sure haven't. Has the judge put a stop to it -- if so, media, tell us.

Why live-cover a bond hearing in full, then not do so with pre-trial motions, Macon media??

I'm also still mad at The Telegraph (and other media outlets, because they could have stepped up to the plate) for never posting a full copy of the second set of defense motions filed -- because The Telegraph DID post the first set! They set a precedent. Where is Mike Stucka when you need him (Telegraph guy attributed credit for getting the first set online)? Did he get in trouble over sharing that and, if so, with whom?

So now, not only do we get only what dribbles of the hearings the paper chooses to share -- or the dumbed-down TV news version -- we don't EVEN have full knowledge of what is expected to be handled. Dang, I KNEW I should have made arrangements to be free to attend the hearings! I wish I had.

And now The Telegraph/macon.com seems to have switched completely over to the Facebook-required format even to READ comments. That steams me, too. I've seen the comments section habitually used in a really hateful and childish manner, so I DO kind of understand them doing that, but, arghh, all of these frustrations at once.

ETA: I will try to hunt down and link some of the "dribbles" later, once they get through dribbling out, LOL, if no one else does. Right now I am too mad.

Will say that from what I've seen, 5 days have been set aside for the hearings. The Giddings family is reported to have been in attendance today.

I expect "today's dribble" from macon.com is now through updating, so I'll go with this:

Detective: McDaniel was ‘staring out into space like a zombie’

...New details pertaining to evidence in the case arose during Monday’s testimony.

Documents in the case previously have revealed that the purpose of one of the nine search warrants obtained by Macon police was to look for blue fibers in McDaniel’s apartment.

Macon police Sgt. Scott Chapman testified Monday that the FBI’s lab in Quantico, Va., notified police that they found matching blue fibers on shorts found on Giddings’ torso and a gray T-shirt seized from McDaniel’s apartment.

The purpose of searching for blue fibers on July 12, 2011, was to find the origin of the fibers, Chapman said. ...

...Chapman said he got a call from another detective who had talked with one of Giddings’ uncles who said Giddings had said she had a “creepy” neighbor who had been stalking her. ...

...At the detective bureau, police interviewed several of Giddings’ friends and McDaniel. After McDaniel’s interview, he was told that he was free to leave, but he stayed in an interview room with the door open. He didn’t have any transportation. ...

When questioned by Franklin J. Hogue, one of McDaniel’s lawyers, Patterson confirmed that a police captain’s voice can be heard on a recording that shows McDaniel sitting in an interrogation room.

Hogue said the captain can be heard saying he was “watching this guy” and calling the person he was watching a “bushy haired guy.” Patterson said he couldn’t recall the comments.

The lawyer seemed to insinuate that although McDaniel had not been arrested, an officer was standing guard outside the door. ...

lots more at: http://www.macon.com/2013/09/16/2667434/mcdaniel-hearings-set-to-begin.html

The pre-trial hearings wrapped up today -- well, this round of them, anyway -- with the attorneys now to work up their arguments on the motions in briefs to present to the judge.

Testimony in regard to the HRD dog motion was postponed as experts for both sides were unable to schedule for this week -- so that is now tentatively scheduled for Nov 21/22.

From the coverage we have been given, looks as if the most interesting action today may have centered around the master key.

McDaniel Motion Hearings Wrap Up on Day Two

...On Tuesday, attorneys questioned Sergeant Bobby Newberry with the Macon Police Department about photos taken in McDaniel's apartment. One of them showed a set of keys sitting on his dresser, and another taken the day before did not.

McDaniel allegedly had a master key to the apartment complex and one to Giddings' apartment. ...
more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/246666/153/McDaniel-Motion-Hearings-Wrap-Up-on-Day-Two

Interesting, to me, the different slants in significance different media outlets gave this:

...At issue is whether the keys were in plain view and could be seized without them being listed in a search warrant. ...
http://www.macon.com/2013/09/17/2669379/mcdaniel-hearings-conclude-will.html

...Newberry said the apartment was under constant police guard and the evidence could not have been tampered with, but McDaniel's attorney Floyd Buford says he is skeptical about how well the place was secured....
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/246666/153/McDaniel-Motion-Hearings-Wrap-Up-on-Day-Two

...Newberry was one of the photographers on the scene during the initial investigation, and was shown photos taken inside of McDaniel's apartment.

McDaniel's lawyers say one of the biggest issues today, was whether the crime scene was appropriate secured.

Sgt. Newberry said McDaniel's apartment was being constantly guarded and evidence couldn't have been tampered with.
more at: http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-new...uesday-scheduled-to-pick-up-again-in-november

A few more various interesting bits from The Telegraph/macon.com coverage:

Hogue also asked Newberry to review photos taken of the apartments July 3 to see if he saw a “Do not enter” sticker on McDaniel’s door, preserving the apartment for future searches.

Newberry said he saw a seal on Giddings’ door, but not on McDaniel’s. He said he didn’t remember whether police were inside the apartment at the time of the photo, but the apartments should have been under 24-hour guard for at least a week.

Evidence shows search warrants were served at McDaniel’s apartment, and evidence was seized as late as three weeks after Giddings’ torso was discovered.

Sgt. William Brown also testified Tuesday that he was ordered to drive McDaniel to the police detective bureau June 30, 2011, to place him in an interview room and to guard him.

...More than two years after the killing, prosecutors still are awaiting test results for hair evidence submitted to the FBI’s crime lab in Quantico, Va., according to the district attorney’s office.
http://www.macon.com/2013/09/17/2669379/mcdaniel-hearings-conclude-will.html

Thought I would note, for those not from the area, that Tuesday's (and to some extent Monday's) hearing took a backseat in local media to the first election for consolidated Macon-Bibb County officials.

What with the historic nature of the election and with some glitches plaguing both early and at-the-polls voting, there was plenty of election news to be covered.

Consolidation of city and state was long a topic of discussion, debate, and dissension, but it finally passed -- last year, I guess? The older item at the link below might interest some who have followed Lauren's case and remember former Macon Police Chief Burns:

Macon Police Chief Will Vote 'No' on Consolidation

...One provision of the bill, which passed both houses of Georgia's legislature during the 2012 session, makes an elected sheriff the top cop in Bibb County and eliminates the position of chief of police. ...
http://macon.13wmaz.com/news/news/68403-macon-police-chief-will-vote-no-consolidation

I am still disappointed in the way the hearings have been covered ... and a little confused, as well.

I saw one small clip of Hogue questioning Judge Ennis. In all the other clips I saw, the prosecution was shown questioning. Am I correct that the defense also would have had opportunity with the same witnesses? If so, I wonder if the defense declined to question most or the media (13WMAZ, mostly, as they seem the only outlet to be good enough to favor us with long clips) decided not to share that...? Just wish I came away from the coverage with a better idea of how it all went.

I have largely (and unintentionally) neglected coverage of the hearings from two Macon media outlets, so I will add those:

Pretrial Motion Hearings Underway in Stephen McDaniel Murder Case

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-new...ings-underway-in-stephen-mcdaniel-murder-case

Pre-Trial Motion Hearings for McDaniel Murder Case Wrap Up Tuesday; Scheduled to Pick Up Again In November

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-new...uesday-scheduled-to-pick-up-again-in-november

Motion Hearings Underway in McDaniel Trial

http://www.wgxa.tv/story/motion-hearings-underway-in-mcdaniel-trial-20130916

(no report on Tuesday's hearings up yet at this last outlet)

This seemed like a good time to open a fresh, new thread which should carry us into the trial uninterrupted, and will facilitate searching for information down the road.

I still have the picture of this creep with Clarence Thomas, and it gives me the willies, how savvy these freaks are in getting close to their victims. Reminds me of Russell Williams flying the Queen of England around. Seriously, it is one sick world that we live in. Forgive the foul mood, I get beyond tired of innocent victims being betrayed and savagely murdered by psychopaths. Not a good night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back