Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing but not forgotten Discussion > Stacy Peterson

Notices

Stacy Peterson Missing from her Bolingbrook, IL home since Oct. 28, 2007. Her husband, Drew, has been convicted of killing his 3rd wife, Kathleen Savio.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Leila's Avatar
Leila Leila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,447
Discussion of the New Lead in the Search for Stacy Peterson

This is thread 2 in the possible break in the search for Stacy Peterson.
__________________
My posts are my opinion..........


Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM
closeobserver closeobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
My theory

I read in the following link that you can completely dissolve a body in acid in about 2 days (excluding the teeth which would be easy to remove).

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/717344.html

I've thought for a long time that D.P. may have dissolved Stacy's body (sorry to the family for stating my graphic theory). His 3 day head clearing trip fits this theory well. That gave him enough time to transport the body, dissolve it and bury the dissolved remains and chemicals.

The barrel may or may not even be part of the burial. Plus, it wouldn't require near as much a hole. The earth wouldnt' be disturbed like it would if you dug a grave. Could have just move some top soil, poured the slurry in, let it saturate, and refill the topsoil.

This also could explain the lack of urgency to dig. It is possible that they removed soil samples during the first day and are testing for chemicals and possibly DNA (I have no idea if DNA would survive).

Perhaps this is a whack theory, but it fits what I've felt all along. I sure hope I'm wrong!
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to closeobserver For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
closeobserver closeobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by closeobserver View Post
I read in the following link that you can completely dissolve a body in acid in about 2 days (excluding the teeth which would be easy to remove).

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/717344.html

I've thought for a long time that D.P. may have dissolved Stacy's body (sorry to the family for stating my graphic theory). His 3 day head clearing trip fits this theory well. That gave him enough time to transport the body, dissolve it and bury the dissolved remains and chemicals.

The barrel may or may not even be part of the burial. Plus, it wouldn't require near as much a hole. The earth wouldnt' be disturbed like it would if you dug a grave. Could have just move some top soil, poured the slurry in, let it saturate, and refill the topsoil.

This also could explain the lack of urgency to dig. It is possible that they removed soil samples during the first day and are testing for chemicals and possibly DNA (I have no idea if DNA would survive).

Perhaps this is a whack theory, but it fits what I've felt all along. I sure hope I'm wrong!
oh ya, for cya reasons, those are just my opinions.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to closeobserver For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Leila's Avatar
Leila Leila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by closeobserver View Post
I read in the following link that you can completely dissolve a body in acid in about 2 days (excluding the teeth which would be easy to remove).

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/717344.html

I've thought for a long time that D.P. may have dissolved Stacy's body (sorry to the family for stating my graphic theory). His 3 day head clearing trip fits this theory well. That gave him enough time to transport the body, dissolve it and bury the dissolved remains and chemicals.

The barrel may or may not even be part of the burial. Plus, it wouldn't require near as much a hole. The earth wouldnt' be disturbed like it would if you dug a grave. Could have just move some top soil, poured the slurry in, let it saturate, and refill the topsoil.

This also could explain the lack of urgency to dig. It is possible that they removed soil samples during the first day and are testing for chemicals and possibly DNA (I have no idea if DNA would survive).

Perhaps this is a whack theory, but it fits what I've felt all along. I sure hope I'm wrong!
It all fits...............the 3-day head clearing trip, the metal barrel as opposed to a plastic one, and possibly even why DP wore that bandana when he came back from the trip.

Like you, I have no idea if a person's DNA would survive being dissolved in acid.

If the informant was able to lead LE to the grave site, that suggests the informant was with DP when he disposed of Stacy. I suspect that LE knows more from the informant about how Stacy was killed and disposed of. It could explain why they removed only the surface soil. Perhaps they're going to analyze that for chemical. It could also explain the delay in getting back to the area to search............maybe they're waiting for test results?
__________________
My posts are my opinion..........


Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
passionflower's Avatar
passionflower passionflower is offline
Just 1 tip to find a killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STEELER COUNTRY!
Posts: 24,258
IIRC Tom M (half brother) said container was 'warm' to touch.............
and that barrel IIRC SP sister said it had pool chemicals in it then disappeared.
__________________
Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
Justice for Hailey!!!!
No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

Last edited by passionflower; 06-11-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 06-11-2010, 10:58 PM
carbuff carbuff is offline
ebook Bad Fairies coming July 1 from Torridbooks.com!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 9,762
I don't know about DNA, but some pieces remain:

"LONDON — Dr. Keith Simpson, 78, a pathologist who once proved a murder on the basis of two gallstones, died Sunday. His evidence led to the 1949 conviction and execution of John Haigh, ''the acid bath murderer,'' when he found two gallstones, all that remained of a wealthy widow whose body Haigh had dissolved in sulfuric acid. Simpson's autobiography Forty Years of Murder was a best seller."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-sulfuric-acid
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 PM
closeobserver closeobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
I don't know about DNA, but some pieces remain:

"LONDON Dr. Keith Simpson, 78, a pathologist who once proved a murder on the basis of two gallstones, died Sunday. His evidence led to the 1949 conviction and execution of John Haigh, ''the acid bath murderer,'' when he found two gallstones, all that remained of a wealthy widow whose body Haigh had dissolved in sulfuric acid. Simpson's autobiography Forty Years of Murder was a best seller."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-sulfuric-acid
Unfortunately at Stacy's young age, not likely to have gallstones, though.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to closeobserver For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 06-11-2010, 11:54 PM
PorcineGranny's Avatar
PorcineGranny PorcineGranny is offline
crabby old lady!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in a world of my own
Posts: 1,437
I'm not positive, but didn't pieces remain of bodies that Jeffrey Dahmer was trying to dissolve?

I hate to think of this but it may be why he is so smug now, he thinks no one will find anything and that maybe true, but we all know there is one that does know and he will face him one day.
__________________
narrow, limited thinker, but I'm trying to grow
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PorcineGranny For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 06-12-2010, 09:04 AM
carbuff carbuff is offline
ebook Bad Fairies coming July 1 from Torridbooks.com!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 9,762
Gallstones and kidney stones begin to form many years before they become a problem -- so even quite young people can have tiny stones. Anything ceramic, plastic, or some metals might survive -- fillings, caps, that kind of thing. If she was wearing something like fake fingernails, those might come through.

It partly depends on what kind of acid was used. And how much stirring he did. (oh, ick.)
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 AM
closeobserver closeobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Gallstones and kidney stones begin to form many years before they become a problem -- so even quite young people can have tiny stones. Anything ceramic, plastic, or some metals might survive -- fillings, caps, that kind of thing. If she was wearing something like fake fingernails, those might come through.

It partly depends on what kind of acid was used. And how much stirring he did. (oh, ick.)
The cynical side of me says he was working on his contingency plan for years. As psychopaths go, I'm pretty sure he would have thought of everything, including teeth, etc.

But what he didn't plan on is being in prison while his accompliss grew a conscience. In prison, he can't "control" or "make to disappear" another potential threat to his freedom.

I believe that with evidence of "a" body, or chemicals used to get rid of a body, plus eye witness testimony from an accompliss, plus all the other circumstantial evidence, it would be enough to convict.

Let's hope there is something found here at this site.

JMO
Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to closeobserver For This Useful Post:
  #11  
Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
passionflower's Avatar
passionflower passionflower is offline
Just 1 tip to find a killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STEELER COUNTRY!
Posts: 24,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Gallstones and kidney stones begin to form many years before they become a problem -- so even quite young people can have tiny stones. Anything ceramic, plastic, or some metals might survive -- fillings, caps, that kind of thing. If she was wearing something like fake fingernails, those might come through.

It partly depends on what kind of acid was used. And how much stirring he did. (oh, ick.)
so maybe dental fillings, a piece of jewery, breast implants??
Let's hope he did a lousy job and something shows up!!!
__________________
Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
Justice for Hailey!!!!
No Justice for Caylee Marie..........
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM
closeobserver closeobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
so maybe dental fillings, a piece of jewery, breast implants??
Let's hope he did a lousy job and something shows up!!!
Not sure what happened to all the areal views, but I believe the "burial" site was near a creek or river.

If the theory is correct about dissolving the body and pouring the remains in a shallow area just inches below the surface, any floods over the past three years could have washed away all the evidence. I just don't like the way this guy thinks.

jmo
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to closeobserver For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 06-12-2010, 01:17 PM
carbuff carbuff is offline
ebook Bad Fairies coming July 1 from Torridbooks.com!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 9,762
He seems to be a very thorough psychopath, for sure, but he's also arrogant and overconfident. Technology has improved greatly, too. Modern DNA replication techniques might be able to identify her from very tiny amounts left in the ground. *crosses fingers* At least I hope so.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Leila's Avatar
Leila Leila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionflower View Post
IIRC Tom M (half brother) said container was 'warm' to touch.............
and that barrel IIRC SP sister said it had pool chemicals in it then disappeared.
I remember that LE or someone traced the barrel of pool chemicals to a particular store, who had record (I think) of selling the barrel of chemicals to DP, or the clerk remembered him buying the chemicals. I remember someone being interviewed about this.

Pool chemicals are muriatic acid, which is actually hydrochloric acid. It's used in keeping pool water clean, but is also used for cleaning masonry, metals, etc. I've done a brief search, but don't know if pool chemicals would dissolve a body.
__________________
My posts are my opinion..........


Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Peculiar Petunia Peculiar Petunia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
I remember that LE or someone traced the barrel of pool chemicals to a particular store, who had record (I think) of selling the barrel of chemicals to DP, or the clerk remembered him buying the chemicals. I remember someone being interviewed about this.

Pool chemicals are muriatic acid, which is actually hydrochloric acid. It's used in keeping pool water clean, but is also used for cleaning masonry, metals, etc. I've done a brief search, but don't know if pool chemicals would dissolve a body.
Muriatic acid is very dilute compared to lab grade hydrochloric acid. Wouldn't do much to a body, but would dissolve a metal barrel. Sodium hydroxide, in contrast, would work better, and the barrel would be warm. It would corrode a metal barrel. Sodium hypochlorite would dissolve a body, and a metal barrel, but the fumes would be pretty toxic. Calcium hypochlorite--don't know for sure, except it would corrode metal.

I don't think a metal barrel is compatible with using acids or alkali to dissolve poor Stacy. Burial, yes.

Ick.
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peculiar Petunia For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:14 PM
carbuff carbuff is offline
ebook Bad Fairies coming July 1 from Torridbooks.com!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 9,762
What Wikipedia has to say about dissolving (not for the faint of heart or stomach) with sodium hydroxide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_...ssue_digestion

It doesn't sound like it would be hard to get hold of.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 PM
closeobserver closeobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peculiar Petunia View Post
Muriatic acid is very dilute compared to lab grade hydrochloric acid. Wouldn't do much to a body, but would dissolve a metal barrel. Sodium hydroxide, in contrast, would work better, and the barrel would be warm. It would corrode a metal barrel. Sodium hypochlorite would dissolve a body, and a metal barrel, but the fumes would be pretty toxic. Calcium hypochlorite--don't know for sure, except it would corrode metal.

I don't think a metal barrel is compatible with using acids or alkali to dissolve poor Stacy. Burial, yes.

Ick.
bbm.....To be clear, I don't think any chemicals would have been added to the barrel before it was moved from D.P.'s house. It would make the barrel too heavy and the fumes would have been over-powering. The barrel being warm to the touch would be the case just from having a "just deceased" body inside.

jmo
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to closeobserver For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Peculiar Petunia Peculiar Petunia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
What Wikipedia has to say about dissolving (not for the faint of heart or stomach) with sodium hydroxide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_...ssue_digestion

It doesn't sound like it would be hard to get hold of.
It's not hard at all, which is very scary considering how difficult it is to handle safely. People are terrified of acids (rightfully so, for most), but sodium hydroxide is the gift that keeps on giving. It can burn you to the bone.
A nice handy box of baking soda can help neutralize an acid spill, but vinegar doesn't help much for sodium hydroxide.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peculiar Petunia For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Carolina Girl's Avatar
Carolina Girl Carolina Girl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 1,281
Oh my.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carolina Girl For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Leila's Avatar
Leila Leila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peculiar Petunia View Post
Muriatic acid is very dilute compared to lab grade hydrochloric acid. Wouldn't do much to a body, but would dissolve a metal barrel. Sodium hydroxide, in contrast, would work better, and the barrel would be warm. It would corrode a metal barrel. Sodium hypochlorite would dissolve a body, and a metal barrel, but the fumes would be pretty toxic. Calcium hypochlorite--don't know for sure, except it would corrode metal.

I don't think a metal barrel is compatible with using acids or alkali to dissolve poor Stacy. Burial, yes.

Ick.
Thanks Peculiar Petunia! Tom Morphey stated that he helped DP carry a plastic container or barrel from the upstairs master bedroom to DP's vehicle. He described the plastic container as being warm to the touch. Would any of the chemicals you've mentioned be used in a plastic container? Would they melt/dissolve plastic?

I'm trying to figure out what would make a plastic container warm to the touch. Was it a chemical of some sort? Or was Stacy still alive but unconscious?
__________________
My posts are my opinion..........


Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Peculiar Petunia Peculiar Petunia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 196
Most chemical reactions generate heat, but many need applied heat to set them off. I'm not sure I'd call something at the level of body heat "warm," but I can't remember whether the day in question was warm or not. Since many chemicals (including the infamous sodium hydroxide) are shipped in plastic, and you wouldn't want the plastic to melt in an accident and make things way, way worse, I would say the plastic would not dissolve. (unless a solvent like gasoline was involved, and that's a big maybe) The one acid I think we could rule out is sulfuric (or hydrofluoric, either) because the reaction might be too intense for plastic. Also, I don't think DP would be smart enough (IMO) to safely use hydrofluoric acid, plus, it's way hard to obtain at high strength.
A lot of labs use plasticware when appropriate nowadays, since it's hard to break and much, much cheaper.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peculiar Petunia For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Peculiar Petunia Peculiar Petunia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 196
I just reread your post, Leila. Maybe if she had been unconscious, or there were fluids involved (blood, urine voided at death), the barrel might seem warm, as the fluid would transfer the body heat onto the barrel faster.
Blech! I can't believe I just said that.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peculiar Petunia For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 PM
closeobserver closeobserver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peculiar Petunia View Post
Most chemical reactions generate heat, but many need applied heat to set them off. I'm not sure I'd call something at the level of body heat "warm," but I can't remember whether the day in question was warm or not. Since many chemicals (including the infamous sodium hydroxide) are shipped in plastic, and you wouldn't want the plastic to melt in an accident and make things way, way worse, I would say the plastic would not dissolve. (unless a solvent like gasoline was involved, and that's a big maybe) The one acid I think we could rule out is sulfuric (or hydrofluoric, either) because the reaction might be too intense for plastic. Also, I don't think DP would be smart enough (IMO) to safely use hydrofluoric acid, plus, it's way hard to obtain at high strength.
A lot of labs use plasticware when appropriate nowadays, since it's hard to break and much, much cheaper.
BBM......a body is nearly 100 degrees and cools very slowly. If recently deceased, the body wold be retaining the heat, especially if concealed in a closed container. Imagine how hot you would quickly get inside a closed barrel and you can imagine how the barrel may feel warm. You would actually create condensation inside the barrel because your body is warmer than the air temperature in the room. He didn't say the barrel was hot, just warm. I take that to mean a little warmer than you would expect if to touched a barrel in ambient temperature without a heat source (body at 98 degrees) inside.

It just isn't practical to add the weight of enough chemical to submerge the body inside the house. Not only would it make it more difficult to carry ( two people probably couldn't carry a barrel with a body and perhaps 20 or 30 gallons of liquid. Plus TM would have identified the barrel as having a liquid inside). Additionally, the fumes would be intense and if dropped or spilled, it would create a huge mess. Even a small spill would be easily detected by police investigators.

Chemical reactions causing dissolving typically cause expansion of the air inside a container so, again, the fumes couldn't have been contained.

Please, stop with the assumptions that the barrel was warm when TM moved it because the chemicals were inside the barrel.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to closeobserver For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 PM
passionflower's Avatar
passionflower passionflower is offline
Just 1 tip to find a killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STEELER COUNTRY!
Posts: 24,258
any one do a drive by lately?
anything in local news?
is area still guarded?
Tents still up?
TIA
__________________
Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
Justice for Hailey!!!!
No Justice for Caylee Marie..........
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
  #25  
Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 AM
wasalurker's Avatar
wasalurker wasalurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,377
I did a drive by yesterday at the Bolingbrook airport and nothing unusual there at all.. But the weather has been terrible....a day or two of sunshine and then more rain. Today in our area is supposed to be cloudy with possible rain and high of 82 but Central IL (where Peoria is) is supposed to have t-showers today. We will get them tonight. Then our area is supposed to have rain for Monday and Tuesday, nice for Wed and part of Thursday and then more rain....

So if Peoria is getting it too then the area is just saturated and the creek is probably overflowing.....

Just to let you know
__________________
___________
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wasalurker For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A New Search for Stacy Peterson Tomorrow 8/21/09 Leila Stacy Peterson 31 04-02-2010 11:18 AM
Stacy Ann Peterson, Bolingbrook IL #13 CW Stacy Peterson 411 04-06-2008 12:08 PM
Stacy Peterson TV Transcripts mssheila Stacy Peterson 7 11-15-2007 02:27 PM
Stacy Peterson , Bolingbrook jim_murray Stacy Peterson 67 11-14-2007 11:28 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!