Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials

Notices

Trials Current Trials In the news

Old 11-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Verified Attorney

Hi, everyone. I had followed these trials closely, and just checked back to see if there was anything new. I see that Vanessa got a good sentence. I'm sure she will be out in 15-20 years, but at least the prime of her life is taken from her. I do actually feel sorry for her parents though.

As for the unidentified DNA found on channon's clothing, I guess that still remains a mystery. Sure seems that if someone else had been there, the others would have thrown them under the bus. I recall that some of Channon's clothing had been given to Daphne and she said something about being with some guys that weekend. I wonder if somehow their DNA got on those clothes and those clothes found their way back to the house. I don't recall where exactly that DNA was found (item of clothing) and where that clothing was discovered by the police? Any idea?

I do wish a good author would write a book about this crime. There are still a lot of unanswered questions, but the cases were so complicated with the lies everyone was telling that its hard to keep track of what gaps there were. Certainly Boyd was far more involved in chris's killing and has gotten off light so far. I would sort of be interested in seeing some of the evidence admitted at trial (so hard to see on webcasts). But maybe the families dont want a book written which is understandable
The Following User Says Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieWind View Post
Hi, everyone. I had followed these trials closely, and just checked back to see if there was anything new. I see that Vanessa got a good sentence. I'm sure she will be out in 15-20 years, but at least the prime of her life is taken from her. I do actually feel sorry for her parents though.

As for the unidentified DNA found on channon's clothing, I guess that still remains a mystery. Sure seems that if someone else had been there, the others would have thrown them under the bus. I recall that some of Channon's clothing had been given to Daphne and she said something about being with some guys that weekend. I wonder if somehow their DNA got on those clothes and those clothes found their way back to the house. I don't recall where exactly that DNA was found (item of clothing) and where that clothing was discovered by the police? Any idea?

I do wish a good author would write a book about this crime. There are still a lot of unanswered questions, but the cases were so complicated with the lies everyone was telling that its hard to keep track of what gaps there were. Certainly Boyd was far more involved in chris's killing and has gotten off light so far. I would sort of be interested in seeing some of the evidence admitted at trial (so hard to see on webcasts). But maybe the families dont want a book written which is understandable
As previously stated, I wrote several pieces about these trials for Trials & Tribulations. I attended 3 days of the Coleman trial and the sentencing hearings for Davidson and Coleman.

We won't know what the two DNA specimens mean until an ID takes place. They were both male. It is very possible others took part. They may have been juveniles (which could be why they haven't caused a DNA database hit) unknown by name to Cobbins, Thomas, and Coleman, who were strangers in Knoxville. My recollection is the unknown DNA was found on Channon's underwear.

I have learned that someone is going to write a book on the case. Since I found out from the author by a private email, I won't say who until that individual says something publicly. From the same source, I was told that Jupiter Films has made a program on the case and is trying to sell it to one of the networks.

David In TN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Verified Attorney

David, thanks for the info. Very interesting. I do think you're right that that unknown DNA was found on Channon's underwear, but for the life of me I can't remember where her underwear was found. Do you recall?
The Following User Says Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
David, thanks for the info. Very interesting. I do think you're right that that unknown DNA was found on Channon's underwear, but for the life of me I can't remember where her underwear was found. Do you recall?
My recollection is that it was found in the Chipman St. house. The DNA was from male sperm.

David In TN
The Following User Says Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Verified Attorney

Ok, I see from an article about how the semen was found on her panties found in a trashbag inside the Chipman house. Doesnt indicate where in teh house. So many unanswered questions about this case. That unknown DNA is strange. Davidson's defense team knew to have it tested right before trial, so they suspected something was there. So I'm guessing Davidson told them something; he knew there was semen there to be found that wouldnt match the defendants. Strange
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, I see from an article about how the semen was found on her panties found in a trashbag inside the Chipman house. Doesnt indicate where in teh house. So many unanswered questions about this case. That unknown DNA is strange. Davidson's defense team knew to have it tested right before trial, so they suspected something was there. So I'm guessing Davidson told them something; he knew there was semen there to be found that wouldnt match the defendants. Strange
Davidson's defense at his trial was "I wasn't there. I left on my drug-selling run after having consensual sex with the girl who came to my house voluntarily. My brother and his Kentucky friends did it while I was gone. "

Davidson would be well aware of others taking part. It fit his defense.

David In TN
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Verified Attorney

It will be interesting to see if a match is ever made on that DNA. Its just odd that there could have been other men that assualted Channon, but that the four tried never mentioned them. But again, there is so much that is unknown and missing about that weekend. I also found it odd that the DNA was found on channon's underwear. You would have thought once the rape of her began, she would never have had them back on again. Or did they maybe take her somewhere. Just thinking outloud
Old 11-29-2010, 05:31 PM

I know i'm a little late. I knew about this horrible case when it happened. But it was too upsetting to read about for me then.
I spent all weekend catching up on all the trials and stuff.
Is there where everything ends?
I'm so upset about Vanessa getting found not guilty for so many things and her smiling and laughing in court. I wish there was something someone could do.
I wish someone would torture her! I know that wasn't very nice.
Anyway, is the end of the story?
and all the things we didn't say...
I wonder if you misunderstood,
cause I'm no good when it comes to talking....
And I'm sorry,I didn't know the words.......
to make you stay.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soyesterday For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyesterday View Post
I know i'm a little late. I knew about this horrible case when it happened. But it was too upsetting to read about for me then.
I spent all weekend catching up on all the trials and stuff.
Is there where everything ends?
I'm so upset about Vanessa getting found not guilty for so many things and her smiling and laughing in court. I wish there was something someone could do.
I wish someone would torture her! I know that wasn't very nice.
Anyway, is the end of the story?
The story won't be over for a long time. There will be hearings on appeals for a new trial for each defendant early next year. Cobbins comes first in January, Davidson in February. I plan to attend the Davidson hearing.

Since Davidson received a death sentence, it will be appealed to kingdom come for decades. There is almost zero chance of him ever being executed. Two Tennessee death row inmates scheduled to die in the next few days for brutal murders of which there is no doubt, have just had their executions put off for 3-4 months.

As for the other defendants, as long as they are breathing, they can walk out of prison (even the two sentenced to "life without parole"). Vanessa Coleman comes up for parole in about 10 years.

David In TN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William N View Post
The story won't be over for a long time. There will be hearings on appeals for a new trial for each defendant early next year. Cobbins comes first in January, Davidson in February. I plan to attend the Davidson hearing.

Since Davidson received a death sentence, it will be appealed to kingdom come for decades. There is almost zero chance of him ever being executed. Two Tennessee death row inmates scheduled to die in the next few days for brutal murders of which there is no doubt, have just had their executions put off for 3-4 months.

As for the other defendants, as long as they are breathing, they can walk out of prison (even the two sentenced to "life without parole"). Vanessa Coleman comes up for parole in about 10 years.

David In TN
Quote:

David In TN
Ugh
It's so not fair!
They should all be put to death for what they did!
And Vanessa.....i hate her most of all w/ her laughing and smiling at the trial! (What was up w/ her jury? Did they not see and hear the same things we did? Did they not see her journal either????? I mean....come on!)
I think she should be tortured to death!
I'm so angry about this story.
I guess all we can do now is pray for Chris and Channon's familes that they can somehow find peace through all this.
Their lives will never be the same.
All because these monsters were able to breathe the same air as the rest of us.
I wish they would all die.
Ok i better stop.
and all the things we didn't say...
I wonder if you misunderstood,
cause I'm no good when it comes to talking....
And I'm sorry,I didn't know the words.......
to make you stay.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soyesterday For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyesterday View Post
Ugh
It's so not fair!
They should all be put to death for what they did!
And Vanessa.....i hate her most of all w/ her laughing and smiling at the trial! (What was up w/ her jury? Did they not see and hear the same things we did? Did they not see her journal either????? I mean....come on!)
I think she should be tortured to death!
I'm so angry about this story.
I guess all we can do now is pray for Chris and Channon's familes that they can somehow find peace through all this.
Their lives will never be the same.
All because these monsters were able to breathe the same air as the rest of us.
I wish they would all die.
Ok i better stop.
I attended three days of Vanessa Coleman's trial. I was able to watch the jury. In Tennessee, the jurors are allowed to ask questions if the judge approves of the question.

The questions showed that several jurors were obsessed with the idea that Davidson's ex-girl friend, Daphne Sutton, was getting away with something.

Coleman's attorney, Theodore Lavitt, attacked the cops who interviewed Coleman on cross-examination for "tricking Vanessa." I saw some female jurors hurriedly scribbling questions and practically throw them at the judge.

On the third day I attended, the diary was introduced, the most dramatic moment of the trial. It negated what the defense had been claiming to that point. Lavitt could do nothing on cross and looked beaten.

The jury asked no questions about the diary.

David In TN
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Verified Attorney

William; those are some interesting observations there. The defenses all tried to make Daphne out to be more than she was i think. And that is understandable. But the jury's reaction is really disturbing. There was nothing that connected Daphne to anything other than perhaps somehow helping after the fact. But the jury just wanted her to be involved in it I think. Daphne was certainly stupid, and a bad mother, but i dont see any evidence that linked her to the crime itself. But by making themselves believe she was involved and "getting away with it" it allowed the jurors to justify not holding Vanessa fully responsible. I'll tell you this, Daphe is VEEEEEERY lucky that the police didnt find her in that trash can. I have no doubt that Cobbins would have eventually killed her somewhere down the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrairieWind For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 05:10 PM

I'm so very shocked and saddened that this case has gotten very little media attention.

I'm glad that someone is going to write a true crime about this horrible, horrible case. I'll look forward to reading it.

Channon & Chris's voices deserve to be heard.

If these were my kids, I'd WANT everyone to know what my child had to endure.

I, along with many many other people will NEVER forget about what happened to Channon & Chris.

This is probably (imo) the worst crime I've ever heard of. (all murders/crimes are bad, but this one you can't ever forget).

*RIP Channon & Chris*
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iluvmua For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 06:59 PM

The lack of coverage for Channon and Chris is very unfair, and not hard to figure out. It breaks my heart to think about them and their families.

Who is going to write a book about this? I hadn't heard about a book.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedie2 View Post
The lack of coverage for Channon and Chris is very unfair, and not hard to figure out. It breaks my heart to think about them and their families.

Who is going to write a book about this? I hadn't heard about a book.
hi, a poster said that someone was going to write a true crime book about this case but he would not say who. He also said that Jupiter Films ( I think that's right) made a show (?) about this case and they are trying to find a network who will air it.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmua View Post
hi, a poster said that someone was going to write a true crime book about this case but he would not say who. He also said that Jupiter Films ( I think that's right) made a show (?) about this case and they are trying to find a network who will air it.
I know of one person (who told me in a private email) who is definitely going to write a book on the Christian-Newsom murders. This same individual told me of being interviewed by Jupiter Films for a show.

Another individual I am in contact with is thinking of writing a book on the case, but it would have to be self-published.

David In TN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I know of one person (who told me in a private email) who is definitely going to write a book on the Christian-Newsom murders. This same individual told me of being interviewed by Jupiter Films for a show.

Another individual I am in contact with is thinking of writing a book on the case, but it would have to be self-published.

David In TN
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Do you know when the book would get a possible release date?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Do you know when the book would get a possible release date?
I don't have that information, but when I do I will post it here.

David In TN
The Following User Says Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I'm so very shocked and saddened that this case has gotten very little media attention.

I'm glad that someone is going to write a true crime about this horrible, horrible case. I'll look forward to reading it.

Channon & Chris's voices deserve to be heard.

If these were my kids, I'd WANT everyone to know what my child had to endure.

I, along with many many other people will NEVER forget about what happened to Channon & Chris.

This is probably (imo) the worst crime I've ever heard of. (all murders/crimes are bad, but this one you can't ever forget).

*RIP Channon & Chris*
I agree with you about never being able to forget about these horrific crimes. I remember when I first heard about them on the web. I did not keep up with the trials or read about them because I just couldn't do that to my psyche. This case affected me in a way that most don't and it upset me terribly. I am not a very emotional person by nature, and most things don't get to me - but this one did. I can be going about my daily activities or working or playing and something that I read about in this case will just pop into my mind for no reason. I can think I'm having a very bad day and all of a sudden, I think of Shannon and Chris and what they endured and I realize that I'm not having a bad day after all. This case haunts me - what those poor kids went through at the hands of those demons. I often wonder how the families of Shannon and Chris get through every day? How do they even stay sane after knowing how their babies suffered? I have a daughter and I've gotta tell you, I don't know if I could get up every day and face the world, knowing what her last hours were like. I think the anguish, the bitterness, the intense hatred, would be just too much to bear for me. I admire those two families immensely for their courage and tenacity and I hope they are doing as well as can be expected, under the circumstances.

I happened to be browsing the threads on WS and saw this one on VC. I'm glad to know that she got 53 yrs and hope she doesn't get parole for a long time. I hope every one of those perps suffers miserably every single day of their useless lives.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGIAGIRL69 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 PM

I'm shocked that only 1 got the DP. ALL 5 should have gotten the DP.

I just Do Not understand how a jury can listen to the M.E. in Graphic detail, tell what Channon & Chris went through for SEVERAL hours (Longer for Channon) and be shown Horrible, Horrible Autopsy Photos and still not sentence all to Death Row.

These young adults went through PURE Hell and for only one jury to sentence LD to death but not all the others, is imo, a slap in the face to Channon & Chris's Family & Friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvmua For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAGIRL69 View Post
I agree with you about never being able to forget about these horrific crimes. I remember when I first heard about them on the web. I did not keep up with the trials or read about them because I just couldn't do that to my psyche. This case affected me in a way that most don't and it upset me terribly. I am not a very emotional person by nature, and most things don't get to me - but this one did. I can be going about my daily activities or working or playing and something that I read about in this case will just pop into my mind for no reason. I can think I'm having a very bad day and all of a sudden, I think of Shannon and Chris and what they endured and I realize that I'm not having a bad day after all. This case haunts me - what those poor kids went through at the hands of those demons. I often wonder how the families of Shannon and Chris get through every day? How do they even stay sane after knowing how their babies suffered? I have a daughter and I've gotta tell you, I don't know if I could get up every day and face the world, knowing what her last hours were like. I think the anguish, the bitterness, the intense hatred, would be just too much to bear for me. I admire those two families immensely for their courage and tenacity and I hope they are doing as well as can be expected, under the circumstances.

I happened to be browsing the threads on WS and saw this one on VC. I'm glad to know that she got 53 yrs and hope she doesn't get parole for a long time. I hope every one of those perps suffers miserably every single day of their useless lives.
I'm a first time poster here and I just wanted to say that I agree with everything you have said, Georgia Girl.

I heard about the murders of Channon and Christopher when they were first reported in the media, on another website.

Due to the heinous nature of the murders, I really couldn't read much coverage, but never forgot about them.

About a fortnight ago, I found the trial threads and decided to read through them in their entirety. Thank you to all of you who posted on the threads, it was a fascinating but incredibly heartbreaking read, but one I felt I had to do.

It just beggars belief what those scumbags did to those poor young people. It just blows my mind that people could inflict such suffering on people, let alone people they did not know, who had never done anything to them and really were just minding their own business. I just can't fathom it. I just can't even begin to imagine what would go through their heads and how they would justify their own actions in their own minds.

I have the deepest respect for the two families. How they have just kept going and been there every step of the legal process, just astonishes me. Their strength and dignity is amazing. I hope that they will be able to find some peace in the future.

I think the Prosecution did a fantastic job with trying the cases. I am just sorry that Chris Newsom did not get the justice he so badly deserves in some of the trials and that certain juries did not understand the meaning of criminal culpability. VC got off lightly IMHO, I think she was up to her neck in that crime and happy to join in. Her journal and her court room demeanour shows what sort of person she really is and I hope she does not see fresh air for many, many years to come.

RIP Channon Christian & Christopher Newsom
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tricksy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM

I believe there will be an appeal hearing for the first defendant convicted, Letalvis Cobbins, on Friday, January 28. Cobbins received "life without parole." He will be in for a long time, but as long as an inmate is breathing, he can walk out of prison. All it takes is a lame-duck governor to commute a sentence.

The verdict for Cobbins seems to be appeal-proof. He got a jury from Nashville, testified, and didn't receive the death penalty (which appellate courts scrutinize more closely) Cobbins, by the way, was found "not guilty" of Chris Newsom's murder, only of "facilitation" regarding Newsom.

David In TN
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I believe there will be an appeal hearing for the first defendant convicted, Letalvis Cobbins, on Friday, January 28. Cobbins received "life without parole." He will be in for a long time, but as long as an inmate is breathing, he can walk out of prison. All it takes is a lame-duck governor to commute a sentence.

The verdict for Cobbins seems to be appeal-proof. He got a jury from Nashville, testified, and didn't receive the death penalty (which appellate courts scrutinize more closely) Cobbins, by the way, was found "not guilty" of Chris Newsom's murder, only of "facilitation" regarding Newsom.

David In TN
So this first appeal hearing will be this coming Friday then.

I'm British, so I am not very knowledgeable about the USA's Legal System. Will this be a hearing behind closed doors? Or is it open to the public and the media to televise?

As you say, I'm not sure as to what grounds he has to appeal his conviction on. His Jury (as you said) was from Nashville and from what I read, the Judge made every effort to ensure that Cobbins understood the implications of his taking the stand against his Attorney's advice and what he was agreeing to.

I would hope that should any of them come up for parole, there would be a tide of public opposition to the Parole Board.

They all seem to be very tight lipped about their treatment of Chris Newsom. I don't think that the full truth has come out there and I don't think justice has been done for him yet.

I can't help thinking that there were more people involved in this horrible crime.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksy View Post
So this first appeal hearing will be this coming Friday then.

I'm British, so I am not very knowledgeable about the USA's Legal System. Will this be a hearing behind closed doors? Or is it open to the public and the media to televise?

As you say, I'm not sure as to what grounds he has to appeal his conviction on. His Jury (as you said) was from Nashville and from what I read, the Judge made every effort to ensure that Cobbins understood the implications of his taking the stand against his Attorney's advice and what he was agreeing to.

I would hope that should any of them come up for parole, there would be a tide of public opposition to the Parole Board.

They all seem to be very tight lipped about their treatment of Chris Newsom. I don't think that the full truth has come out there and I don't think justice has been done for him yet.

I can't help thinking that there were more people involved in this horrible crime.
The proceeding I mentioned is a hearing on motions for a new trial. It will be held in open court. I don't think it will be streamed live, but a local TV station may carry a report.

None of them admitted to seeing what happened to Chris Newsom for obvious reasons. There were two unidentified specimens of semen found on Channon Christian's undergarments.

David In TN
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William N For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The proceeding I mentioned is a hearing on motions for a new trial. It will be held in open court. I don't think it will be streamed live, but a local TV station may carry a report.

None of them admitted to seeing what happened to Chris Newsom for obvious reasons. There were two unidentified specimens of semen found on Channon Christian's undergarments.

David In TN
Thanks for coming back to me on this.

I will keep an eye out for any details or reports on the hearing. I thought it was unlikely that it would be televised though.

It was those unidentified specimens which unfortunately makes me think more were involved too. So one day we may end up seeing others brought to justice too.