Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Kyron Horman

Notices

Kyron Horman Kyron went missing from his school in Oregon. His mother has a civil suit on his step-mother and his father is in the middle of a divorce. WHERE IS KYRON?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 08-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Calliope Calliope is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cahoots
Posts: 6,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran View Post
I also agree with pittsburghgirl. I followed a case here on WS a few years ago, it really opened my eyes as to how selective the 'evidence' released to the public could be. It's either because of the bias of the news agency, or control by LE. In that particular case, I saw both. It has made me view cases, entirely different than I did a few years ago.

Sadly to say, in that particular case, because of the manipulation of the evidence and how it was presented, or NOT, I feel there's a horrible injustice for the 'alleged,' although now admitted, (plea deal) perp.

To be honest, that's why in this case, I'm still not convinced as to what the heck happened to this child. But as STEADFAST said, IF it were me and I knew I had absolutely nothing to do with this crime, I would have a press conference of my own, permission from my attorney or not. He could sit next to me.

Course, that's just me,
fran
Why should she speak out?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calliope For This Useful Post:
  #27  
Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 AM
evelyn24's Avatar
evelyn24 evelyn24 is offline
cray cray
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami View Post
There was a stretch when Terri when Terri WAS talking to the media. The thumbs up, everything is peachy, the rumors about her impending divorce were not true, etc. Clearly if KH told her not to speak to the media, she wasn't following his orders.

Also, in the case that she is completely innocent, her attorney has decried the "witch hunt" without ever releasing a statement of innocence. In other words, if her atty spoke out enough about the case to say "it's a witch hunt!", then why not add the logical conclusion, "...my client had nothing to do with the disappearance of her step son." Surely that couldn't be *worse* for her image. Keeping Terri out of the spotlight is one thing, but even keeping quiet over official channels (attorney releasing a sanitized statement) feels very odd to me at this point.
She was also leaving comments on a news website talking in first person.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evelyn24 For This Useful Post:
  #28  
Old 08-07-2010, 08:38 AM
mmmagique's Avatar
mmmagique mmmagique is offline
Deliver us from evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
Why should she speak out?
Fran didn't say she should. She said she (Fran) would if she were in that position and were innocent.

Most of us couldn't help ourselves (well, ok, I wouldn't be able to, personally.) I would want everyone to know that I darn well didn't have anything to do with it at all, and if they want to find my beloved step son, they should take the focus off of me, and start looking elsewhere!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmmagique For This Useful Post:
  #29  
Old 08-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Calliope Calliope is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cahoots
Posts: 6,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmagique View Post
Fran didn't say she should. She said she (Fran) would if she were in that position and were innocent.

Most of us couldn't help ourselves (well, ok, I wouldn't be able to, personally.) I would want everyone to know that I darn well didn't have anything to do with it at all, and if they want to find my beloved step son, they should take the focus off of me, and start looking elsewhere!
If Terri had said she was innocent, how many people convinced she was involved would simply say, "Oh my bad!" and believe her?
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Calliope For This Useful Post:
  #30  
Old 08-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Calliope Calliope is offline
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cahoots
Posts: 6,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami View Post
There was a stretch when Terri when Terri WAS talking to the media. The thumbs up, everything is peachy, the rumors about her impending divorce were not true, etc. Clearly if KH told her not to speak to the media, she wasn't following his orders.
sbm

She spoke to a WW reporter. Sat with him on her property and chatted. Didn't run him off. The next day, 'no trespassing' signs were up.

Wonder who did that?
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calliope For This Useful Post:
  #31  
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 AM
daisy.faithfull's Avatar
daisy.faithfull daisy.faithfull is offline
RIP Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joey Jr.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaF513 View Post
I wish I knew what questions caused her to fail the polygraphs. They very well could have been nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance, but once deception is established by the polygrapher, doubt is cast on every aspect.

As much as I would like to hear her side of the story, I think she is wise to remain silent now. I believe that LE set its sights on her from the getgo and made it abundently clear without coming out and saying so.

If she is indeed innocent of involvment with Kyron's disappearance, LE has given the true perp more than 2 months to cover his/her tracks. Not to mention, a child predator remains at large while a case is being built based upon innuendo and suspicion. Let's hope that they have sufficient evidence to justify their modality.
A predator who is bold enough to kidnap a child from his school.

I don't know if LE has been gunning for Terri from the beginning and has continued to do so. I am on the fence when it comes to her innocence or guilt. I have spent more time thinking that she is guilty but when I am of that mind its because I am angry and scared.

Since I am willing to withhold judgement until facts are available I am placing my faith in LE to do the same.

I do know that I just don't really like Terri. That could be and probably is at least in part the result of the media's portrayal of her, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't want Tyron to be at home where he belongs. I don't much care for husbands who cheat on their wives, but that doesn't mean my heart doesn't break for Kaine.

I just wish Kyron weren't missing. This stuff is just so heartbreaking its unbearable. I can't imagine what it is like for everyone involved. Children shouldn't have to live in fear that something like this could happen. What the is going on in this world?
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daisy.faithfull For This Useful Post:
  #32  
Old 08-07-2010, 09:34 AM
STEADFAST's Avatar
STEADFAST STEADFAST is offline
"From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class."*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: One word: Cheese Curds
Posts: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
If Terri had said she was innocent, how many people convinced she was involved would simply say, "Oh my bad!" and believe her?
If Terri had come out and loudly and continually proclaimed her innocence, begged for someone to bring Kyron back, showed grief and fear on her fb page, continued to aid the investigation, publicly explained her whereabouts on June 4 so that anyone who saw her could corroborate, refrained from hinky doings, and made media appearances to get Kyron's name out there, I think a lot of people would believe her.

Anyway, the argument that denying guilt isn't helpful when people don't believe you doesn't make sense to me. If people thought I did something bad, I sure wouldn't think, "Oh, well, what's the point of denying I did it?"
__________________

*Raymond Chandler
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to STEADFAST For This Useful Post:
  #33  
Old 08-07-2010, 09:51 AM
mmmagique's Avatar
mmmagique mmmagique is offline
Deliver us from evil
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
If Terri had said she was innocent, how many people convinced she was involved would simply say, "Oh my bad!" and believe her?
It might depend on what she said and how she said it. I'd be more inclined to believe someone who is vehemently proclaiming their innocence than someone who has done everything (imho) to avoid discussing the situation at all.
No matter how much she ignores it, there's a HUGE elephant in the room, and it's not going to go away.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmmagique For This Useful Post:
  #34  
Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Kat010 Kat010 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Logic Land
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
Hey, I just got done reading Dave Cullen's book Columbine, about that school shooting, its causes and aftermath. It's a freaking eye-opener, a textbook case about how mainstream media (usually cable television) creates and perpetuates myths and misinformation. In the Columbine case, the inept work of television reporters was only part of the story, as Cullen demonstrates that local politicians and law enforcement officers covered up a number of blunders, mostly pertaining to how earlier complaints to LE about one of the school shooters were ignored or underestimated. In addition, some groups knowingly spread what they knew was a false story in order to push their own agenda and that false story reverberated through the cable echo chamber.

And what do we in the public have left as "evidence" if mainstream media sources are so inaccurate, sloppy, and riddled with error and innuendo? Cullen points to the good job (relatively) done by local newspapers--which we are in danger of losing. So we might need to look to the local print sources for the best information.

Here's a link to the website of the author of the Columbine book. It's available through major retailers and as an e-book.
http://www.davecullen.com
Thanks, thanks, thanks! That is an incredible book.

Another shocker: Cullen exposes how the police actually were given numerous warnings about Klebold/Harris by concerned citizens. And they blew them off.

Even worse, LE bungled many things--and then proceeded to try and cover up their mistakes. In fact, some evidence even went "missing."

LE got an idea in their heads: nothing to it with these boys acting weird, just teenaged stuff.

Then they learned that those trying to get their attention were right.

Then they got other ideas in their head. And then they also had ego problems, territorial problems, and some bouts of just plain incompetence.

And then they tried to cover up their mistakes.

It's all in Cullen's book.

Cullens' painstaking tracking of the details, including LE actions, gives real insight into how easy it is to be lulled into thinking LE is on top of things. In fact, LE is filled with people of varying degrees of competence, varying degrees of intelligence, varying degrees of honesty, and all the human elements of ego, arrogance, fear, buddyism, personal feuds, etc.

In short, LE is just like any other profession--except they have enormous power.

Frankly, in this case, I'm afraid that LE focused on TH early on, KH & DY's statements adding to it (for awhile it seemed that LE worked for KH rather than for the public!) and set out to prove themselves right in their TH theory.

A clue to that--when LE immediately assured parents their kids were safe, nothing to worry about folks. And they said that right away. What colossal arrogance--"don't you worry your pretty little head, missy, the law is here." All ego and PR. Yes, I understand they didn't want a panic, but that statement so quickly showed their frame of mind.

Unless and until LE shows up with an 18-wheeler filled with solid provable evidence that TH did something to Kyron, I'm going to continue to believe that they targeted her early on--and wanted a quick 'n easy solution and to be heroes.

Just like at Columbine. This syndrome, for lack of a better word, is fairly common and well-known.

Understand, I am not saying that TH is innocent--but there's no facts so far to prove her guilty of anything except indulging in ill-advised, tacky, and stupid behavior. And she's not the only one in this whole mess.

The Cullen book is a must-read (also available on Kindle, which is how I read it). I'm going to add in another link to his website:

http://www.davecullen.com/columbine.htm

And, on the right, click on The Columbine Guide to view actual documents, videos, and evidence (warning: very graphic).

And, overall, this story has suffered from some very very bad, amateurish, poorly-edited (or not edited at all), personal-slant (bad!) "news" and incompetently done rumor-mongering dressed up as journalism. I've seen things published that had they crossed my desk would have gone into the circular file. Too many things that were just ego stuff for on-air reporters. Too many unattributed sources with nothing added to provide any substantiation to any claim that anyone makes (apparently). Sloppy, sloppy writing, editing, and interviewing.

All in all, the media in this case, especially local--who IMHO have the greatest responsibility to their community--have earned a D- and teeter dangerously close to an F. Warning: I'm an old-school journalist raised and trained by demanding editors who put ethics and "doing it right" before everything else, including "being first." If you're first to the BBQ with a pile of dog poop instead of steak (excuse me) it doesn't much matter that you're first.

Ooops. Ranting here. Must stop now.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kat010 For This Useful Post:
  #35  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 AM
ami's Avatar
ami ami is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
sbm

She spoke to a WW reporter. Sat with him on her property and chatted. Didn't run him off. The next day, 'no trespassing' signs were up.

Wonder who did that?
Maybe Terri herself did.

Just goes to show that she was willing and able to speak with the media if she wanted to. Even *if* Kaine told her not to - she still spoke to them. If she wanted to say she had nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance - she could have.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ami For This Useful Post:
  #36  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 AM
ami's Avatar
ami ami is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
If Terri had said she was innocent, how many people convinced she was involved would simply say, "Oh my bad!" and believe her?

A false child abduction and murder accusation has to be the most gut-wrenching, disgusting and horrifying accusations to heap upon an innocent person. It can be life-wrecking just to be accused, even falsely. The thought that someone facing such an accusation would think: "I should tell people I'm innocent, but... they probably wouldn't believe me." and then remaining silent- doesn't make any sense.

I can believe that after saying, "I am innocent, I had nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance, I am heartbroken and scared." --- and the public still condemning you, at a certain point you'd give up protesting. I can see that. But to not even say it once?
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ami For This Useful Post:
  #37  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Kat010 Kat010 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Logic Land
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
If Terri had come out and loudly and continually proclaimed her innocence, begged for someone to bring Kyron back, showed grief and fear on her fb page, continued to aid the investigation, publicly explained her whereabouts on June 4 so that anyone who saw her could corroborate, refrained from hinky doings, and made media appearances to get Kyron's name out there, I think a lot of people would believe her.

Anyway, the argument that denying guilt isn't helpful when people don't believe you doesn't make sense to me. If people thought I did something bad, I sure wouldn't think, "Oh, well, what's the point of denying I did it?"
Steadfast, another perspective. Right now, I'm discounting FB stuff 'cause 'net junkies tend to run to their comfy online communities almost automatically. (Don't we all do that?) And if in shock, she might have just posted...anything. Especially normal stuff. Like that "poke" people have seized on. I hate those things and try to ignore them. But the fastest way to deal with 'em is just with one click to do a poke back. And it's not clear if she was initiating or responding. And it's a little thing.

That's just one example of the tsunami of stuff about her that's been publicized, criticized, analyzed, amateur pscyhoanalyzed, etc. etc.

Early on, she was working on getting flyers picked up and out. She did family stuff with media. Then suddenly--wham! The alleged MFH plot rears up, and suddenly her husband and baby are gone, and she's slapped with an RO, and oh yes, there's that stupid sting. Plus whatever happened on the LDTs. And being ambushed by media even at her own front door.

She's now a stranger in a very strange land.

The way I see it, at first she followed KH's lead. Then she was voted off the island, left adrift, and found herself questioned and maligned in the media.

Frankly, only an idiot at that point would go to the media and say "Hey! I'm innocent!" Because that opens the door. If she has her own press conference, there'll be tons of questions that she's best off not answering as any answers can be manipulated, wrongly analyzed, misquoted, etc. Let alone everyone's interpretation. Referece: see Bean's links to the "why you shouldn't talk to the cops" videos.

Had she had a competent media advisor, it would have been good to issue one single statement something like this: "My heart is broken over the loss of Kyron. I'm also grieving over the fact that my husband chose to steal my baby, get a restraining order against me, and that he also chose to believe a story LE got out of some guy I hired for yard work months ago. After years of working to be the best parent I could be to Kyron and my other children, now I find that Kyron's biological mother, who I kept well-informed, has always believed me to be a liar. There is so much coming at me that I barely know which way to turn. But I do know this: I did not harm Kyron. And long-term, that truth will be revealed. Kyron is the most important thing here. And I hope that LE continues to investigate the possibility of a predator loose among our children. (Insert one-sentence ref to attempt to grab another child right around the time Kyron went missing, can't recall exact details right now, peeps). This country seems to be suffering from increased child abuse and predators, and like you, I never thought that I or my family would wind up in a situation like this. To whoever took or has Kyron--please, let us bring him home. Please."

That's very rough draft, folks, and needs editing. But if she had issued one written statement like that before she'd gotten an attorney--who then told her to be silent if he's as good as he's made out to be--she would have fulfilled a public-perceived need to speak out.

Again, the draft above would receive extreme editing if it were mine to follow on and do. And in no way would I ever recommend that she do a press conference, interviews, etc. I've literally trained a very smart first-time candidate with lots of community work and experience, on how to handle the media and questions from the public at debates. Even given her expertise with public works, she was easy prey when we started. (She wasn't when we finished!).

The fact that TH didn't have a media advisor and didn't issue one written statement shouldn't, IMHO, count against her. Especially not when her husband and Kyron's other parents were doing the TH bash--and at that point, throwing around phrases like "LE told us this and that". Notice that now they're backing off from that and they've had to say that their info didn't come from LE?

Please note: I'm not saying that TH is innocent. I am looking at this "in theory" of what she could have done better to appease public demands for another act in this circus. (Ahem--let alone the idiot stuff of bat phones, sexting, etc.)

If she wanted to snap back, the statement could have read something like "My heart is broken at Kyron's loss. But the focus should not be on me, or any parent. We have suffered a terrible blow, and the focus should be on Kyron and bringing him home. I intend to keep the focus on Kyron, and one way to do that is to stay out of the liimelight and therefore, out of LE's way. To whoever took Kyron--please, please let us know where he is. Send a note to the principal, call anonymously, do something, Kyron, I love you. We all love you."
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kat010 For This Useful Post:
  #38  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Kat010 Kat010 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Logic Land
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami View Post
Maybe Terri herself did.

Just goes to show that she was willing and able to speak with the media if she wanted to. Even *if* Kaine told her not to - she still spoke to them. If she wanted to say she had nothing to do with Kyron's disappearance - she could have.
Ami, it's amazing what people will say when media ambush them. Especially if they don't have media experience.

Which is why media ambush people. And in a society where "polite" is valued--especially for women--it's almost guaranteed that someone under stress will say something. Doesn't really matter what it is for some forms of "journalism" because the "journalist" will have achived the real goal: be able to say he/she "interviewed" the person and to get a quote, any quote.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kat010 For This Useful Post:
  #39  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 AM
ami's Avatar
ami ami is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,128
Kat, I totally agree with you. And I don't fault her for not having a media consultant, of course that wasn't anything that was part of her world before Kyron's disappearance. And as much as I believe a lot of her behavior has been fishy and ill-advised, I don't believe every single thing she's done is suspicious. (such as trying to take her daughter from daycare - this is an impulse I completely understand and a very natural reaction to your child being held from you).

Still, a simple statement of innocence, even one that was not run past legal departments and advisors, even one conceived and written out of impulse after the first round of accusations and later perhaps regretted - would have seemed like a more "normal" reaction to such a heinous accusation.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ami For This Useful Post:
  #40  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 AM
IBsleuthin's Avatar
IBsleuthin IBsleuthin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Wild Divine
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondering1 View Post
My google search came up with the link posted here. It's the first post in the "Terri Horman may talk to the media thread" lol. I knew I remembered reading that in msm. The link posted at WS is to the main news site only, but the article was snipped and quoted. I'm sure a google search of a snippet of the text would find the correct link.

Terri Horman May Talk To Media

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Quote:
Terri may talk to the media
PORTLAND, Ore. – Terri Moulton Horman was “blindsided” by the divorce papers, according to a close friend.

A friend of Terri who wished to remain anonymous, told KOIN Local 6 Kyron Horman’s step-mother was caught off guard when she was served divorce papers as well as a restraining order from her husband and Kyron’s father, Kaine Horman.

“Terri didn’t know she was going to be hit with divorce papers or a restraining order,” the friend said.

The friend said Terri may consider talking publicly and airing her side of the story.

“She’s been doing what Kaine said all along and he’s been telling her to stay quiet. The public will benefit from hearing what she has to say.”
http://www.koinlocal6.com/default.aspx

Interesting a friend is saying TH has followed the advice her of her husband to stay quiet.....and that she may now talk to the media.
Isn't this an OLD article? And to be clear, Kaine Horman sent out an email to many of his friends and co-workers early on telling them NOT to talk to the media. This statement from Terri does coincide with what he had asked others to do.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IBsleuthin For This Useful Post:
  #41  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
IBsleuthin's Avatar
IBsleuthin IBsleuthin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Wild Divine
Posts: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
sbm

She spoke to a WW reporter. Sat with him on her property and chatted. Didn't run him off. The next day, 'no trespassing' signs were up.

Wonder who did that?
Me thinks the control freak did it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IBsleuthin For This Useful Post:
  #42  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 AM
ami's Avatar
ami ami is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,128
Honestly, I look at some of the pictures the media doesn't publish with their Terri-skewering articles, the pics they have on that FB page that show a happy, serene and content Terri holding an unbelievably gorgeous and smiling baby K. And I want that woman in that picture to tell me she didn't do this terrible thing. That mother in the picture looks like a nurturer, and I want her to really be one, to not live in a world where a woman who looks content could abduct or kill or stash a child.

I guess part of my issue is that as a mother, I'm angry at Terri for acting so irresponsibly after Kyron vanished (sexting) and for not not caring what we the public think and not saying to hell with us and going about the business of leading searches and organizing picture drives and fundraisers for reward money. And yes I know that each of these things people would mock and deride and twist into something guilty-seeming, but I want her to be the sort of mother who is heartbroken by that and yet still marches forward doing what she can in spite of that.

I know I have unrealistic expectations... !! I know that would take backbone I myself might not have. But that's how I feel when I see those happy pictures of Terri the mother, and it's part of what makes me so upset by her actions after Kyron went missing.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ami For This Useful Post:
  #43  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Kat010 Kat010 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Logic Land
Posts: 766
Ami, and I agree with you--especially on the trying to get her baby back or at least confront Kaine. It's ironic that those who claim that she didn't care about her baby because she didn't "fight back" also thwack her for doing something very active to see her baby, and possibly get her back, right then. (Note: remember, at that point she did not know about the RO coming.)

And no, we don't all keep media advisors at hand! But most folks don't realize how hard it is to speak in public, especially in a time of crisis, and especially so when one is at risk in a criminal case.

In today's world, where everyone seems to have a video camera and be putting stuff online, it may seem simple stuff to make a statement. But there's a world of difference between "I looked up and there was the tornado" or "I heard shots and screaming and I hid" and being in the middle of a missing child crisis.

And, it's also more stressful than most people realize when the cameras, those bright lights, the still cameras, those mikes are all focused on you. KH seems to thrive on it; DY is holding herself together for her son's sake. And they're on the "up river" part of this in comparison to TH, who's been painted as the Mistress of all Evil.

Most people don't know how to deal with the media. Nor with LE. And both professions take advantage of that fact. So best to get help in what you say and how you say it to media, and also best to lawyer up to deal with LE. (I know that's not a popular stance, but sorry!)

I sometimes wonder if KH didn't get advice from the PR folks at his company.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kat010 For This Useful Post:
  #44  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:54 AM
STEADFAST's Avatar
STEADFAST STEADFAST is offline
"From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class."*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: One word: Cheese Curds
Posts: 9,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat010 View Post
Steadfast, another perspective. Right now, I'm discounting FB stuff 'cause 'net junkies tend to run to their comfy online communities almost automatically. (Don't we all do that?) And if in shock, she might have just posted...anything. Especially normal stuff. Like that "poke" people have seized on. I hate those things and try to ignore them. But the fastest way to deal with 'em is just with one click to do a poke back. And it's not clear if she was initiating or responding. And it's a little thing.

That's just one example of the tsunami of stuff about her that's been publicized, criticized, analyzed, amateur pscyhoanalyzed, etc. etc.

Early on, she was working on getting flyers picked up and out. She did family stuff with media. Then suddenly--wham! The alleged MFH plot rears up, and suddenly her husband and baby are gone, and she's slapped with an RO, and oh yes, there's that stupid sting. Plus whatever happened on the LDTs. And being ambushed by media even at her own front door.

She's now a stranger in a very strange land.

The way I see it, at first she followed KH's lead. Then she was voted off the island, left adrift, and found herself questioned and maligned in the media.

Frankly, only an idiot at that point would go to the media and say "Hey! I'm innocent!" Because that opens the door. If she has her own press conference, there'll be tons of questions that she's best off not answering as any answers can be manipulated, wrongly analyzed, misquoted, etc. Let alone everyone's interpretation. Referece: see Bean's links to the "why you shouldn't talk to the cops" videos.

Had she had a competent media advisor, it would have been good to issue one single statement something like this: "My heart is broken over the loss of Kyron. I'm also grieving over the fact that my husband chose to steal my baby, get a restraining order against me, and that he also chose to believe a story LE got out of some guy I hired for yard work months ago. After years of working to be the best parent I could be to Kyron and my other children, now I find that Kyron's biological mother, who I kept well-informed, has always believed me to be a liar. There is so much coming at me that I barely know which way to turn. But I do know this: I did not harm Kyron. And long-term, that truth will be revealed. Kyron is the most important thing here. And I hope that LE continues to investigate the possibility of a predator loose among our children. (Insert one-sentence ref to attempt to grab another child right around the time Kyron went missing, can't recall exact details right now, peeps). This country seems to be suffering from increased child abuse and predators, and like you, I never thought that I or my family would wind up in a situation like this. To whoever took or has Kyron--please, let us bring him home. Please."

That's very rough draft, folks, and needs editing. But if she had issued one written statement like that before she'd gotten an attorney--who then told her to be silent if he's as good as he's made out to be--she would have fulfilled a public-perceived need to speak out.

Again, the draft above would receive extreme editing if it were mine to follow on and do. And in no way would I ever recommend that she do a press conference, interviews, etc. I've literally trained a very smart first-time candidate with lots of community work and experience, on how to handle the media and questions from the public at debates. Even given her expertise with public works, she was easy prey when we started. (She wasn't when we finished!).

The fact that TH didn't have a media advisor and didn't issue one written statement shouldn't, IMHO, count against her. Especially not when her husband and Kyron's other parents were doing the TH bash--and at that point, throwing around phrases like "LE told us this and that". Notice that now they're backing off from that and they've had to say that their info didn't come from LE?

Please note: I'm not saying that TH is innocent. I am looking at this "in theory" of what she could have done better to appease public demands for another act in this circus. (Ahem--let alone the idiot stuff of bat phones, sexting, etc.)

If she wanted to snap back, the statement could have read something like "My heart is broken at Kyron's loss. But the focus should not be on me, or any parent. We have suffered a terrible blow, and the focus should be on Kyron and bringing him home. I intend to keep the focus on Kyron, and one way to do that is to stay out of the liimelight and therefore, out of LE's way. To whoever took Kyron--please, please let us know where he is. Send a note to the principal, call anonymously, do something, Kyron, I love you. We all love you."
See, and that's exactly what she DIDN'T do. She was busy filling her time sexting and buying batphones. Lots of parents of missing children reach out to the media without having a media advisor, and they do a great job.
__________________

*Raymond Chandler
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to STEADFAST For This Useful Post:
  #45  
Old 08-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Kat010 Kat010 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Logic Land
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami View Post
Honestly, I look at some of the pictures the media doesn't publish with their Terri-skewering articles, the pics they have on that FB page that show a happy, serene and content Terri holding an unbelievably gorgeous and smiling baby K. And I want that woman in that picture to tell me she didn't do this terrible thing. That mother in the picture looks like a nurturer, and I want her to really be one, to not live in a world where a woman who looks content could abduct or kill or stash a child.

I guess part of my issue is that as a mother, I'm angry at Terri for acting so irresponsibly after Kyron vanished (sexting) and for not not caring what we the public think and not saying to hell with us and going about the business of leading searches and organizing picture drives and fundraisers for reward money. And yes I know that each of these things people would mock and deride and twist into something guilty-seeming, but I want her to be the sort of mother who is heartbroken by that and yet still marches forward doing what she can in spite of that.

I know I have unrealistic expectations... !! I know that would take backbone I myself might not have. But that's how I feel when I see those happy pictures of Terri the mother, and it's part of what makes me so upset by her actions after Kyron went missing.
I'm quoting this post (another excellent one) to make sure it's clear which one I'm replying to here.

I so agree with you. And the manipulation of public opinion via careful selection of imagery is a very valid concern. Sadly, media in this new age now seems to use their choice of imagery to convey a message--which makes that propaganda and not reporting.

Like you, I've looked at those pictures, and I've wondered how they can all lie. But pictures lie--we all know that. Yet, how is it that a woman who took so many family pictures for everyone to enjoy, could suddenly become someone who set out to destroy that world?

If she is innocent and is vindicated, there will be a whole lot of 'splaining to do for many, many people, starting with LE and KH.

And if she isn't innocent, then there's a whole lot of psychological stuff that will need looking into.

Last edited by Kat010; 08-07-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kat010 For This Useful Post:
  #46  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Kat010 Kat010 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Logic Land
Posts: 766
Steadfast, I agree. But I'm offering these caveats: a) KH was clearly in charge at first. b)after that, TH was isolated and maligned. So she wasn't in the category of "distraught parents speak to media to plead for child."

She had knockout punches one after the other.

I really can't recall any other similar case where one spouse (KH) so clearly runs the show, and where then one spouse is cast in the role of Mistress of all Evil and clarly ostracized from the "grieving family" circle.

KH snatched that opportunity. There wasn't much left for her to say, IMHO.

And I bet he had media advice. He's been working the loops very adroitly. I haven't said that out loud before.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kat010 For This Useful Post:
  #47  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Kimster's Avatar
Kimster Kimster is offline
WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Google Earth
Posts: 32,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat010 View Post
I just came across this in an ABC news story. But I haven't seen TH's denial elsewhere.

"Terri Horman has remained steadfastly silent through most of the investigation, only releasing brief statements through her attorney that she did not have anything to do with Kyron's disappearance. "

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/search-kyr...ry?id=11303564

Interestingly enough, at the end of the video, the presenter says that TH has neither admitted nor denied that she's involved, but that her attorney calls this a witch hunt.

So their text says one thing, and it seems that their video says another.

Has anyone else heard of any MSM saying that TH has denied being involved, via her attorney? To me, "witch hunt" does not equal "TH says she didn't do this."

Stay on topic - comment about where we've heard TH deny that she isn't involved please.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:
  #48  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Kat010 Kat010 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Logic Land
Posts: 766
Ooops, sorry Kimster. My bad. We did veer off into "should she and how" comment type discussion.

Train back on track.Choo! Choo!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Kimster's Avatar
Kimster Kimster is offline
WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Google Earth
Posts: 32,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat010 View Post
Ooops, sorry Kimster. My bad. We did veer off into "should she and how" comment type discussion.

Train back on track.Choo! Choo!
Thanks!

That is the most common way a thread gets off track. There is a thread about TH's involvement already. If this thread becomes another one of the same topic, it ends up getting merged.

Kat, just say "SAVE MY THREAD, STAY ON TOPIC". LOL

Last edited by Kimster; 08-07-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Kat010 Kat010 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Logic Land
Posts: 766
SAVE MY THREAD, STAY ON TOPIC! LOL

(Especially because I'll wander off into the gardens of theory and good/bad journalism at the drop of a bit and a byte...)

I found this interesting link from July, in which sources say that TH denied the MFH plot. It references the Oregonian, but I can't tell quickly if it's just a reprint of their story:

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms...landscaper.csp
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kat010 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion: Is TH responsible for Kyron's disappearance? #2(POLL ADDED) Kimster Kyron Horman 326 08-10-2010 04:01 AM
If Terri truly had no part in Kyron's disappearance... cluciano63 Kyron Horman 117 07-17-2010 11:11 PM
What facts point to Kaine's lack of involvement in Kyron's disappearance? oxymoran Kyron Horman 184 07-05-2010 02:49 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!