Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:13 PM

Time of death was 11:08

R.I.P. Troy Davis...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 PM

The time of death is 11:08, Georgia time.

Best-
Herding Cats
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:
Inactive

Troy Davis is dead. Time of death 11:08pm Eastern Time
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
WS Super Moderator

so what can we do now...

this is a time for action.. not inaction

I'm almost crying right now and I don't even know all specifics of this case.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WillenFan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Verified registered nurse

God, what is wrong with the world!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Isabelle For This Useful Post:
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

I'm signing off... Love to all of you

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belimom View Post
I'm signing off... Love to all of you

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 PM
*~a mere mortal~*

I feel badly for all the people that have worked hard on this case for so many years only to have their hopes shattered...
It's all so sad.

RIP Troy Davis
RIP Mark Macphail

No one wins here....

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deelytful1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 PM
DV Advocate

Safe home Troy Davis; they can't hurt you anymore. You are now free!

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives!

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacie Estes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
so what can we do now...

this is a time for action.. not inaction
My only recommendation is to do what I have always done when I see something like this happen and that is, in honor of Troy or any number of people who may have been innocent who have been executed, or in honor of the people like Marie who always fought and find a case of innocence that interests you, investigate it to the fullest to ensure that you believe their claims and then fight for them. I, personally, will be contacting Joe Giarratano's lawyers tomorrow to ask to rejoin the defense team.

ETA: If you contact your local Innocence Project and offer to volunteer, I can't imagine that they would turn you away.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:19 PM
WS Super Moderator

http://www.thenation.com/blog/163555...is-be-executed

interviews.. his last statements... heartbreaking
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 PM
*~a mere mortal~*

He claimed his innocence until the end.....

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deelytful1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 PM
WS Super Moderator

he addressed the family of the victim... he said he didn't do it and asked that those that killed him had mercy from God on their souls.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Inactive

"I did not have a gun, I did not take your father, son, brother. I am innocent"
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:
WS Super Moderator

he did not eat his last meal or take his ativan

http://www.thenation.com/blog/163555...is-be-executed

He did not take the Ativan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 PM

I think I am going to go lay down and try to get some sleep. I've got to get some rest because I intend to strap my boots back on tomorrow and get back into the fight.

Good night everyone. I'm so grateful for WS, and that I had all of you to be with tonight to help try to deal with this.

Perhaps we could talk to Trisha and see if we can get a sub forum for innocence cases to help shed some light on them. There are lots of them out there....
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:41 PM

I am worried that Georgia may have it wrong this time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Searchfortruth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 PM
elsewhere

I had read that Troy had refused a Last Meal as a special one. As he did times before, he opted for the regular prison food (cheeseburger, etc).

I do not know if he ate it, but there were prison officials who were apparently monitoring his food intake, mood, etc.

fwiw...matters little now. I am more empowered for the fight going forward, thanks to this case. So sorry for Troy having been the additional impetus by having to die for what I perceive as a true injustice.

I was always on his side, for good REASON.

Peace and good rest to all this night...the fight continues tomorrow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shana For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Registered Snoozer

I have only been following this case since it appeared in the local (Australia) paper a day or two ago.

I've tried to read up on things and haven't seen anything yet to convince me he isn't guilty. I'm hearing all the same things I usually hear from people about to be executed. I studied up on the Michael Perry case when his execution was nearing last year and the story was the same.

Now I know I'm half a planet away, but at what stage do we step back and say "actually, this guy IS guilty"?

The irony of us all (myself included) being part of the websleuths community isn't lost when I say this, but are we perhaps putting ourselves ahead of the justice system a bit too much these days?

I have a US cousin who is a priest who visits prisoners on death row every week and he assures me, they're all innocent....just like Mr Davis.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wonderllama For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderllama View Post
I have only been following this case since it appeared in the local (Australia) paper a day or two ago.

I've tried to read up on things and haven't seen anything yet to convince me he isn't guilty. I'm hearing all the same things I usually hear from people about to be executed. I studied up on the Michael Perry case when his execution was nearing last year and the story was the same.

Now I know I'm half a planet away, but at what stage do we step back and say "actually, this guy IS guilty"?

The irony of us all (myself included) being part of the websleuths community isn't lost when I say this, but are we perhaps putting ourselves ahead of the justice system a bit too much these days?

I have a US cousin who is a priest who visits prisoners on death row every week and he assures me, they're all innocent....just like Mr Davis.
As a Legal Studies major (who can't sleep) and a person who volunteered for the Innocence Project cases for years and was there when one of the 138 innocent death row prisoners was released and held his face in my hands, I can assure you that it is always the public's duty to keep a watchful eye on our government and the judicial system. I don't know what things are like in Australia, but the founders of America and the Framers of our Constitution expected us to be vigilant in the defense of our Constitutional rights and insisted that these processes be transparent and a matter of public record so that we could look for ourselves.

I have worked many cases. I have been asked to assist on at least ten times as many as I have actually taken on. I refuse to assist on a case in which I have not read the entire record because there are so many innocence cases out there and I don't have time to help those I don't believe in, nor do I believe that I would be truly helping if my heart were not in it. Of the 17 cases I had a hand in, all of the men except 2 have been released. One I was wrong about. The other had his sentence commuted to life WITH parole, but procedural rules block him from getting a new trial.

After seeing so many injustices in this country and knowing how they happen, I am never ready to execute until the evidence proves their guilt. And by evidence, I mean physical evidence. Not recanted eye witness testimony.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 AM

I think this case may be the tipping for me switching my major to criminal justice. Not sure what I would do with it but I'm feeling more passionate about crime then political science.

I hope his supporters can go back and prove he didn't do it in some court or place of authority. I'm drawing a blank on the gentleman's name, the wit who said Troy was shooter but later told other people he did it and possibly threatened a witness. CNN tried to interview him but they couldnt find him.

I understand double jeopardy but if they gathered enough evidence could this guy be charged with the murder as well? I'm not optimistic that this would ever happen but I was just wondering about it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greycoupon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greycoupon View Post
I think this case may be the tipping for me switching my major to criminal justice. Not sure what I would do with it but I'm feeling more passionate about crime then political science.

I hope his supporters can go back and prove he didn't do it in some court or place of authority. I'm drawing a blank on the gentleman's name, the wit who said Troy was shooter but later told other people he did it and possibly threatened a witness. CNN tried to interview him but they couldnt find him.

I understand double jeopardy but if they gathered enough evidence could this guy be charged with the murder as well? I'm not optimistic that this would ever happen but I was just wondering about it.
The man's name is Sylvester "Redd" Coles. And from my understanding, he was not charged with this crime. I will have to go look and find out. He did admit to the police that he was the person who started the fight with the homeless man as well. If he was charged and tried in this crime, he can never, ever be tried again, regardless of any evidence, even if someone were to come up with a video tape of him doing it. If he has not been tried, he could be brought to justice, but it would NEVER happen. Because to try him--much less convict him, the state of GA would have to admit that they murdered Troy Davis tonight and that is a mistake that they can never admit.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Registered Snoozer

See, we're about to change that rule here in Victoria, Australia.
Removal of Double Jeopardy in cases where indisputable evidence arises and the like.

It's an interesting prospect, but also a little worrying.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wonderllama For This Useful Post: