Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing but not forgotten Discussion

Notices

Missing but not forgotten Discussion This Forum is for case discussion and opinion regarding all missing persons who have not been forgotten despite the number of years they have been missing. Many members have loved ones here & need your help to bring them home!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 PM

Doesn't sound good at all for this precious baby girl.

<snipped>
“I had heard somebody say they had smelled a foul odor,” said Charlie Mae, “So that was brought to my attention.” Could she compare that smell to anything? “Something dead to me, you know. It doesn’t make any sense to me you know? It didn’t really make any sense to me… it really didn’t.”

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news...LkQrLiA_w.cspx
(more at link)

Interesting...the above article mentions a missing person from same apartments. I found this thread on that missing person here at WS:
TN TN - Marlon Thomas - 22 years old - Memphis - June 16,2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

(Although it doesn't seem to be connected, i still found it interesting...so thought I would share).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to everyoneneedsavoice For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 PM

It sounds like we're not the only ones with the "bad feelings" about this beautiful baby.

<snipped> (much more at link)

Lauryn Dickens: Police Director hopes his hunch about her disappearance is wrong

FAST FACTS:

(Memphis 09/22/2010) Memphis' top cop broke the department's silence.
They say Shakara gave conflicting statements about the disappearance of her missing daughter.
When asked whether she was cooperating, Godwin responded by saying, "she's to the same story that basically she gave the child to someone else."
Homicide detectives are now investigating this case. A spokeswoman for the police department says this is still a missing person's case.

Asked about what his gut tells him after 20-years on the force, Director Larry Godwin says " I hope I'm wrong."

http://www.wreg.com/wreg-police-dire...,1867762.story
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to everyoneneedsavoice For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Where is Kyron?

Shades of Caylee's and Gabriel's cases cadaver dog hits, a foul odor in the apartment and waiting days to report her missing? Doesn't sound good at all. I hate to be graphic, but her body must've been there for some time because of the smell. Saying prayers for Lauryn and for those investigators.

The truest love there is
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sarah7855 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Just 1 tip to find a killer

Poor detectives, they have hearts also...........this has to hurt deep down.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Just 1 tip to find a killer

Did I hear right...........mom is 19 and has 2 children?
Her mother is raising the older child?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Kind words do not cost much

I heard that too Passion. They never could confirm if the 4 (or 5) yr old boy was hers but neighbors said there was one living there for a while.

Where is this child and the baby?

Rumor speculated on NG was that the Mom of Shakara took the boy for a while, I sure do hope so, but why not Lauryn too? I know money is tight especially nowadays but surely someone could have also taken Lauryn? I hope this little boy is okay too. JMHO

As soon as NG has a transcript up I'll try to link it, if someone else doesn't first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 AM
WS Moderator

Memphis Police Director Can't Confirm If Child Is Alive

Nine month old Lauryn Dickens has been missing for weeks. Police can't confirm her mother, Shakara Dickens, story that she gave the baby girl to a person she didn't know. It all equals to a bad feeling for Memphis' top cop.

[snip]

Shakara Dickens is behind bars. She has not been charged but police have her on a 48-hour hold for aggravated child neglect and endangerment. They say she gave conflicting statements about her daughter's disappearance.

[snip]

Now, Godwin says they are left to rely on clues, possibly found from a car seat and walker, pulled from Dickens' Raleigh Village apartment. It is the last place little Lauryn was seen.

[snip]

Shakara Dickens can be held until 5:30pm Thursday under the 48 hour hold.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-lauryn...,7194158.story

STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE:
http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=32037

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107247
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 AM
WS Moderator

Nine month old Lauryn Dickens has been missing for weeks. Police can't confirm her mother, Shakara Dickens, story that she gave the baby girl to a person she didn't know. It all equals to a bad feeling for Memphis' top cop.

[snip]

Shakara Dickens is behind bars. She has not been charged but police have her on a 48-hour hold for aggravated child neglect and endangerment. They say she gave conflicting statements about her daughter's disappearance.

[snip]

Now, Godwin says they are left to rely on clues, possibly found from a car seat and walker, pulled from Dickens' Raleigh Village apartment. It is the last place little Lauryn was seen.

[snip]

STILL DOING IT FOR DYLAN GROENE. REST IN PEACE:
http://www.amw.com/missing_children/brief.cfm?id=32037

HELP FIND MISSING 7-YEAR-OLD PATRICK ALFORD: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107247
The Following User Says Thank You to SheWhoMustNotBeNamed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
"Son, no matter how you slice that, that's dangerous."

Very similar case that is in the works locally to me.

IA IA - Cecilia Denise Harris, 20 months, Dubuque, Early June 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

After a few weeks of no one seeing the baby the mother is questioned and says she gave the baby to the grandmother in North Carolina when that story doesn't check out, mother changed her story to giving the child to a friend in a near by town but that story didn't check out either.

The big break in the case came when a text message was found on the mother's phone that suggested she had done harm to the child and also asking her what the foul smell was in the house along with what the mother was burning in the back yard. ""they said u told jan u did sumthin real bad n kiki said wen she went up there it smelled really bad n u wouldn't let her clean tha basement or take tha garbage out n she want to no wat u burned cuz it wasent garbage cuz its still n tha basement." It turns out there were human remains recovered in the fire pit in the back yard. Still awaiting identification of those remains to determine if they are that of Cecilia. Mother is sitting in jail on neglect charges and is scheduled for court in mid October. I'm sure those charges will be dropped and she will be charged with murder once identification is made.

I sure hope LE in this case has checked the mother's phone records and questioned everyone that she has been in contact with in the past few weeks. Also a look around the yard might be helpful too, maybe she is a copy cat killer.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joe Friday For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 AM

FAST FACTS:
Mother Of Missing Baby Still Behind Bars
Being Held On 48 Hour Hold For Aggravated Child Neglect
Police Director Godwin Can't Confirm If Child Is Alive
danya.bacchus@wreg.com

(Memphis 09/22/2010 ) Nine month old Lauryn Dickens has been missing for weeks. Police can't confirm her mother, Shakara Dickens, story that she gave the baby girl to a person she didn't know. It all equals to a bad feeling for Memphis' top cop.

"I hope I'm wrong on this one and we find the child safely," said Memphis Police Director Larry Godwin.

Shakara Dickens is behind bars. She has not been charged but police have her on a 48-hour hold for aggravated child neglect and endangerment. They say she gave conflicting statements about her daughter's disappearance. According to police records, Dickens told police she gave her daughter to a stranger on September 7th. she says the woman claimed to be a friend of her daughter's father, 19-year old Benjamin Norfleet. He's behind bars for breaking into cars. Director Godwin says time isn't on their side because the mother waited 8 days before reporting the disappearance to police.

"When it's nine days old you've eliminated an Amber Alert and fresh tracks. If she gave the child to someone where did they go?" said Godwin.

more
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LiveLaughLuv For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM

<<<<article snipped>>>>

Dickens told police she gave the child to a stranger after a conversation with her boyfriend, Benjamin Norfleet, on September 7. Dickens did not report her daughter missing until September 15.

Norfleet's attorney, Robert Spence, said his client thinks Dicken's story does not add up.

"He's trying to figure out what is going on," said Spence.

Dickens told police Norfleet orchestrated the handoff, saying the middle-aged woman would show up at her apartment to get the child. Dickens said she could not care for the baby.

Norfleet, the son of a prominent Collierville family, has been behind bars since June. He is a convicted felon with a long list of arrests.

Spence said Dickens started blocking Norfleet's phone calls several weeks ago. He found out his daughter was missing when police showed up at his jail cell.

"They wanted to interview him about his baby missing," sand Spence.

Spence said Norfleet is very worried about his daughter.

"He's very distraught about it," said Spence. "His baby is missing, the mother won't talk and he's concerned."

Police said Norfleet is still the subject of an ongoing investigation.
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13200398

The father of precious Lauryn has no idea what SD is talking about. Seems she blocked his phone calls several weeks ago. Did she think LE would not check into this??? (Boy this rings of Gabriel Johnson and Caylee's story...)

Also heard on the news, SD has asked her mother if she could take care of Lauryn for her. Mom turned her down told her she couldn't afford to...so sad that mothers turn to evil deeds instead of handing the children over to someone who truly will care for these precious children. If not a family member, then use the "safe haven" laws...JMHO

I am so tired of hearing of these stories that have a terrible outcome for the innocent children.

Where is Lauryn????
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LiveLaughLuv For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 PM

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../22/ng.01.html

Aired September 22, 2010 - 20:00:00 ET
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Praying for Justice!

Car Confiscated in Missing Baby Case

Updated: Thursday, 23 Sep 2010, 1:50 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 23 Sep 2010, 1:50 PM CDT

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...sing-baby-case

<snipped>

Memphis Police have confiscated the vehicle they believe Shakara Dickens was driving around the time her 10-month old baby disappeared.

The vehicle belongs to Shakara's mother, and was towed from Brownsville Road Elementary School.
"His overall behavior, they wrote, showed "a total lack of respect for the rights of others and a total lack of respect for the legal system, which is absolutely inconsistent with the character and fitness qualities required of those seeking to be afforded the highest position of trust and confidence recognized by our system of law." (Thank you to TWA) Read their opinion here: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d...ps/sc95855.pdf
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nums24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Praying for Justice!

Car Confiscated in Missing Baby Case

Updated: Thursday, 23 Sep 2010, 1:50 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 23 Sep 2010, 1:50 PM CDT

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...sing-baby-case

<snipped>

Memphis Police have confiscated the vehicle they believe Shakara Dickens was driving around the time her 10-month old baby disappeared.

The vehicle belongs to Shakara's mother, and was towed from Brownsville Road Elementary School.
"His overall behavior, they wrote, showed "a total lack of respect for the rights of others and a total lack of respect for the legal system, which is absolutely inconsistent with the character and fitness qualities required of those seeking to be afforded the highest position of trust and confidence recognized by our system of law." (Thank you to TWA) Read their opinion here: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d...ps/sc95855.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to nums24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Praying for Justice!

Mother Questioned about Missing Baby

Updated: Thursday, 23 Sep 2010, 10:08 AM CDT
Published : Thursday, 23 Sep 2010, 9:05 AM CDT

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...t-missing-baby
The Following User Says Thank You to nums24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Praying for Justice!

Danya Bacchus - 11:41 AM CDT, September 23, 2010

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-lauryn...tory?track=rss

Video Report In Article

<snipped>

Director Godwin says time isn't on their side because the mother waited 8 days before reporting the disappearance to police, "When it's nine days old you've eliminated an Amber Alert and fresh tracks. If she gave the child to someone where did they go?"

"Were going to take those things send those off just to make sure that something didn't happen and it was cleaned up."

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nums24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Praying for Justice!

Charges to be filed against mother of missing 9-month-old girl

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13208034

<snipped>

As of Thursday, Dickens had been in jail on a 48-hour investigative hold. She faces criminal charges in this case.

"We will formally charge her," said Godwin. "She will not be going home tonight."

Godwin said Lauryn Dickens' whereabouts are a complete mystery and her safety is unknown.

"My gut tells me that it's not good," Godwin said. "I hope that I'm wrong."
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nums24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Praying for Justice!

Memphis police expect to file charges against mother of missing baby

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...other-missing/

<snipped>

Charges are expected to be filed before Dickens’ 48-hour investigative hold ends around 6 p.m., MPD spokesman Karen Rudolph said.

Police also confirmed that a cadaver dog registered the odor of human remains in the yard of the mother's apartment. But upon digging, police found no body.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nums24 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
WS Moderator

Memphis police expect to file charges against mother of missing baby

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...other-missing/

By Jody Callahan
Memphis Commercial Appeal
Posted September 23, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.,
updated September 23, 2010 at 5:24 p.m.

Quote:
Memphis police are working with the Shelby County District Attorney’s office tonight to determine what charges to file against Shakara Dickens, mother of the missing 10-month-old girl Lauryn Dickens.
The Following User Says Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 PM
"Son, no matter how you slice that, that's dangerous."

Affidavit for search warrant.

http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2010-09/56329029.pdf
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Joe Friday For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 PM

NG will be covering this tonight.

YOU GOT TO LOVE JUDGE STRICKLAND
At it's core, the defense counsel's motion accuses the undersigned of being a "self aggrandizing media hound". Indeed. The irony is rich.

Motion granted.

Stan Strickland
Circuit Judge
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to butterfly1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
WS Moderator

Memphis police charge mom of missing 9-month-old

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13208888

Associated Press - September 23, 2010 7:35 PM ET

Quote:
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Memphis police have charged a mother with aggravated child neglect and endangerment after she told authorities she gave her missing baby girl to a stranger.

Police spokeswoman Karen Rudolph says Shakara Dickens also was charged Thursday with false reporting in connection with 9-month old Lauryn Dickens' disappearance. Police are still looking for the baby.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 PM

Memphis police charge mom of missing 9-month-old

Police spokeswoman Karen Rudolph says Shakara Dickens also was charged Thursday with false reporting in connection with 9-month old Lauryn Dickens' disappearance. Police are still looking for the baby.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13208888

Not much else at link...but at least we know there are additional charges.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to everyoneneedsavoice For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM

Ooof.

OT but on NG they showed her doing the perp walk.

You have to see it for yourself but it was a saunter and it reminded me of another young Mother in a high profile case and how she sauntered and strutted for the cameras.

JMHO.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM
Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.

Poor baby. This is not good at all.
Picture Takin'
Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post: