Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Located Forum Discussion

Notices

Located Forum Discussion Discussion for those who were missing and are now located

Old 10-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Hello everyone,
I've been reading the posts here for a while, hoping that something new will be shared about the case. Sadly, there's no news. In my opinion, the police have nothing. In the Global News interview, Sonia's father said something to the effect of "this was not done by a junior, the person has probably done this before". That leads me to believe that there may not have been any evidence, or very little evidence left behind. When police hunted for the killer of Holly Jones, they used DNA evidence, and her killer was arrested within a week or two. Sadly, Sonia has been gone for a LOT longer than that. I'm sure any DNA evidence that was found, has already been processed. People have criticized Sonia's neighbours for not calling police when they heard screams. If you've ever tried calling the police for a disturbance, you'll know that they don't come very quickly, if at all. I doubt that a call to the police would have saved Sonia. However, I encourage all those people who have 5 minutes on their hands now, to call the police. This killer is still living among us all. They could be in Orangeville. Sonia lived there. They could be in Mississauga. She worked there. They could be in any city where she worked before. They could be in Bolton, where her parents live. They could be your next door neighbour. Call the police and ask, why NOTHING is being shared with the public. Think about the kind of person who can come into a woman's home, kill her, and drag her body outside, and dump her in a field. They could be someone you know. The police won't tell us anything. Nothing at all. Who among us is then safe? Either they literally know nothing, or they owe society an answer. How can Sonia's neighbours sleep at night, not knowing if they are next? The least they can do is tell us if they are looking for a male or a female. Do they know for certain it was someone she knew? How? People can't just accept that Sonia died, and that's the end. At the very least, email your local newspaper, and ask that investigative reporters continue to hound this case and report on it. This reminds me very much of the Leah Sousa case, where someone broke into her home and killed her, then dragged her outside to her backyard, raped her, and left her. The only evidence there, was also a shoe print, about a size 9 or 10. That was 20 years ago. Are we willing to wait 20 years for Sonia's killer to be found?
Sadly, some police forces do not respond quickly, if at all, to "domestics", or if they think the call is a "domestic". There was a very sad case of a mother having to make repeated calls to LE in one major city, only for LE to find her children dead once they finally got to the home. The father had been looking after the children while the mother was at work.

I can't say what happened in Sonia's case, but with 40 officers now canvassing the Orangeville, it looks like they're putting effort into the search for her killer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 06:08 PM

Anyone know the name of the pharmaceutical company Sonia worked at? Also, can anyone tell me why a nurse might take a job at a pharmaceutical company, and in what capacity would they likely be employed there? (Maybe the nursing/medical department of a large company??)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
Anyone know the name of the pharmaceutical company Sonia worked at? Also, can anyone tell me why a nurse might take a job at a pharmaceutical company, and in what capacity would they likely be employed there? (Maybe the nursing/medical department of a large company??)
There's money in sales.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersolstice View Post
There's money in sales.
There's money in nursing too:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/weird...-15575956.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonfictionrocks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Better hours, less stress, more autonomy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Grumpy Old Man..

Quote:

I have a sister who went through for a Pediatric nurse and after a few years the government started cut backs so she never knew where she would be working.
One week it might be with the elderly , next week it might be emerg., next week it might be in the psych ward.
She just got fed up and went to work in a factory .

I believe Sonia was at her last Hospital job just a short time so maybe this is why she changed jobs.

Ther are many different jobs at a pharm. company.
Maybe in the lab
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Valleyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyboy View Post
I have a sister who went through for a Pediatric nurse and after a few years the government started cut backs so she never knew where she would be working.
One week it might be with the elderly , next week it might be emerg., next week it might be in the psych ward.
She just got fed up and went to work in a factory .

I believe Sonia was at her last Hospital job just a short time so maybe this is why she changed jobs.

Ther are many different jobs at a pharm. company.
Maybe in the lab
Or clinical trials.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Bumping for Sonia. Can't believe LE hasn't come forth with a POI yet, given 3 CRIME SCENES!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratislava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 PM

I won't reveal the company in question but it is a company that isn't about selling pharmaceuticals per se. This company represents other companies involving patients receiving oncology drugs and treatments for MS. Nurses are employed there as patient case managers as well as front line nurses who deliver care to patients.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rudie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudie View Post
I won't reveal the company in question but it is a company that isn't about selling pharmaceuticals per se. This company represents other companies involving patients receiving oncology drugs and treatments for MS. Nurses are employed there as patient case managers as well as front line nurses who deliver care to patients.
Would this be clinical trials, then? Wouldn't regular treatment take place in a hospital or cancer clinic, in the case of cancer patients?

Something else is continuing to bother me. The jasmineandco account at POF was closed on January 13, 2010:

http://www.plentyoffish.com/basicusersearch.aspx

Thanks to Kamille for posting this link in the previous thread. It still bothers me that so many people were going missing -- and later turning up dead -- in January 2010.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2010, 01:57 PM

A lovely picture of Sonia that I had not seen before:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sillybilly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Could it be then that the perp was someone who had a family member die of cancer and was taking his anger out on Sonia as the company couldn't save the patient?

Just putting it out there
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to katecav For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katecav View Post
Could it be then that the perp was someone who had a family member die of cancer and was taking his anger out on Sonia as the company couldn't save the patient?

Just putting it out there
Or someone who was undergoing treatment and was displeased with it?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:53 AM

I don't believe she was at her new job long enough, or even if she had started it yet, from what I recall reading. However, someone from her last job, maybe that wanted treatment, or wasn't satisfied with her treatment could be suspect IMO.
The more this drags on, the more I believe it to be a transient, either still around town, or is long gone. Everyone needs to try and think of people they may have even casually have met, who may have disappeared since, or has gone underground, or may have disappeared for a bit, and is now starting to show their face again. They may feel safe enough now that the focus has been taken off of Orangeville, and it's been relatively quiet. Anyone with any info. needs to conatct LE whether they think it's pertinent or not.
Of curiosity, there appears to be a Psychic fair this weekend in Orangeville. If anyone knows of anyone attending or knows any of the psychic's- they may be able to help? Maybe the LE should be attending and soliciting their help. It seemed to help in the 2 missing girls found in Orangevile a couple weeks back........ just throwing that out there.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Haylee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Just me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylee View Post
Of curiosity, there appears to be a Psychic fair this weekend in Orangeville. If anyone knows of anyone attending or knows any of the psychic's- they may be able to help? Maybe the LE should be attending and soliciting their help. It seemed to help in the 2 missing girls found in Orangevile a couple weeks back........ just throwing that out there.
I bet that will be the buzz there at that convention. I hope some news is shared soon and justice is brought for her
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Rudie, you said oncology drugs and treatments for MS

would this be somewhat related to ISOTOPES?

- Stable Isotope Dilution Method (treatment for MS)

- Medical Isotopes, Radioisotopes (cancer treatment)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hazel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 PM

I think the murder was a sexual assult murder, I don't think there was a disgruntled patient involved in this crime. I believe this because of how the murderer took her body and the covers, trying to hide evidence of DNA.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to colette For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 AM

Do any of the locals know where this area that the resident is talking about in this letter to the editor? Would it involve the ravine area behind Sonia's home?

http://www.orangeville.com/opinion/l...right-decision
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kamille For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colette View Post
I think the murder was a sexual assult murder, I don't think there was a disgruntled patient involved in this crime. I believe this because of how the murderer took her body and the covers, trying to hide evidence of DNA.
I'm of the same opinion....that it wasn't related to her work. I think it was a local, who knew SV tangentially, perhaps had a couple of casual conversations where she was pleasant with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he worked at a local service business such as a retail store, a garage, or such.

I don't think a transient would break into her home...and know she was a single woman living alone. Instead I think someone watched her from afar and found that out over time.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snoopster For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Grumpy Old Man..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
Do any of the locals know where this area that the resident is talking about in this letter to the editor? Would it involve the ravine area behind Sonia's home?

http://www.orangeville.com/opinion/l...right-decision

I believe she is refering to the old rail line behind her house on Margaret St. (A on the map.) which is not near Sonia's house but about 3 blocks further west.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=r...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valleyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Unhappy

Not sure if this trail map will help- roads aren't identified:

http://www.orangeville.org/cms/docum...lways_Plan.pdf

Sonia's house would be near the dark blue trail- just east of ES - is my guess.
Would be nice if we could get an update from LE. Does anyone know if they are still canvassing the neighborhoods? Everybody I know in the area is still feeling uneasy. Need everyone to speak up and not let this go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haylee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopster View Post
I'm of the same opinion....that it wasn't related to her work. I think it was a local, who knew SV tangentially, perhaps had a couple of casual conversations where she was pleasant with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he worked at a local service business such as a retail store, a garage, or such.

I don't think a transient would break into her home...and know she was a single woman living alone. Instead I think someone watched her from afar and found that out over time.
I've google mapped her house from Broadway and you can see those townhouses behind the water treatment plant and the U-Haul place in the street view. There is a large open area between the two and it looks like you could get through there to the area behind her home. It would be easy to sit and watch those homes from that ravine IMO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kamille For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM

Still no news?
The Following User Says Thank You to Summersolstice For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 05:07 PM

This is the best news about Sonia's investigation that I have heard in a long time:

Quote:
Russell Williams’ profilers working on Varaschin case

Among the investigative team are members of the OPP Behavioural Science Unit, which works to create a profile of the suspect in hopes of revealing his identity.

“Some of the people that we’re using came from the same team that put the Colonel away, so we have the best of the best,” Tomei added, referring to recently convicted sex offender and murderer Russell Williams, who has since been stripped of his Canadian Forces rank.

The chief encourages anyone who has information about Sonia’s murder, or has suspicions about someone they know, to contact police. The killer’s boots — men’s size 10 or 11 Dakota or Wind River brand — continue to be of key interest to investigators.

“Continue to call with tips. No tip is insignificant,” Tomei said. “That’s all we can ask the public to do, to be aware, to be our eyes and ears out there and to call.”

The Orangeville Police Service dedicated tip line can be reached at 519-941-2522, ext. 2211. Anonymous calls can be made to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

http://www.orangeville.com/website/o...varaschin-case
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Grumpy Old Man..

.Russell Williams’ profilers working on Varaschin case

http://www.orangeville.com/website/o...varaschin-case

Mom misses Sonia's daily phone calls.

As the family of Orangeville murder victim Sonia Varaschin pack up her belongings, they can’t help but wonder about her killer — someone who remains on the loose more than two months after the woman’s body was discarded in a nearby wooded area.

“Your mind is always working. There’s always something there,” Michele Varaschin, Sonia’s mother, said. “I hope they will find him (the killer) and soon.”

The family is sorting Sonia’s belongings at her Spring Street townhouse, where police believe the 42-year-old pediatric nurse was killed on the night of Aug. 29 or early morning Aug. 30.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Valleyboy For This Useful Post: