Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Retired WS Staff

CO- Victim says she was tortured for 20 hours, a woman led attack

I've tried to find out when this happened - just guessing this week - but haven't found it reported. What happened to "Monique" is terrifying - still trying to figure out why - unless for thrill - those people did this to her.

GLENDALE - Seeing her injuries would take your breath away. The skin on her face is peeling from where they ripped off the duct tape.

"It was wrapped around my entire head," she said.

There is a big white cast on her arm. The bone under her right eye is broken.

The injuries that aren't as obvious reveal more about a crime Glendale Police say is as brutal as it is unexplainable.

The woman is in her mid 20s. She asked 9NEWS that we only identify her as Monique since her attackers have not been arrested.

When we met with her on Friday, she pulled down her sock to show us the deep welt that is starting to heal.

"That is from the duct tape wrapped around my ankles," she said.

It was so tight it broke into her skin.

Then she lifted her sweater. On her stomach; deep round burns - cigarette burns.

more here

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...0628&catid=222
~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
Rachel's thread - WS
RachelCookeSearch.org
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 03:38 AM

This is a screwy case. I think this group started out partying together and something went terribly awry. One of the wanted women is named Kalena. Do a search on that name in Greeley, CO on MS. Compare those pics with the photo below--sure looks like a mugshot. You can enlarge the pics here:

http://cbs4denver.com/crime/glendale...2.1987607.html

Her MS says that she's in Greeley, 75 miles away from Glendale. However, whitepages is showing her coming up in Englewood, only 9 miles from Glendale. You also might want to check the most recent comment by a friend.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 03:52 AM

Kelly Mahana aka "Choice":

http://www.myspace.com/Stellar_Blue_Eyed_Hottie

Thinks he's tough, anyway. Surenos. So he runs from the Springs to Denver. Originally from Whittier. That would be. It makes me so sad to see an identification with nothing more than an area code.

Last edited by Missizzy; 10-30-2010 at 04:00 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 04:04 AM

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=160628

I believe they'd added new details. Full descriptions of the three who are wanted.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:24 PM

Gang related, with the Surenos, but none of what they do has to make sense to someone like me.
The Following User Says Thank You to grayjay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Justice for Shaniya!!!!

In the parking lot, one of the suspects accused the victim of stealing something out of her purse.

"It wasn't drugs and it wasn't a gang related thing. I don't know if it was money or what ... but there was an altercation," Ross said.

They punched her, knocked her out while she was in her car, and then drove her to an apartment in the southern metro area Ross said.

"Once there, the woman was bound and gagged, blindfolded and beaten repeatedly for nearly 20 hours ... and for whatever reason, they decided to let her, and they let her go," Ross said.

The victim was driving home, making her escape, when she got into a single-car crash in Sheridan, Ross said.

Sheridan police responded to the crash, saw the victim's significant injuries and heard the victim tell them what happened, and that's when they contacted Glendale police.

Glendale officers interviewed the victim at the hospital and started on the investigation.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...38/detail.html
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tinsamd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 04:30 PM

The article linked above explains a lot but I still can't believe that a gang influence is not involved. These people sound vicious. From the link:

"The three suspects are considered to be extremely violent and may also be armed. Anyone coming in contact with the three suspects is urged to notify police immediately."

Concerning the MS I mentioned above, I'm not certain that that's the correct Kalena although an awful lot pans out, even a relative's unique name. Given her AKA, here's another. Notice that this one links her to Mahana...."lady choicez".

http://www.myspace.com/kalena0203

I can't find anything on Jessica Escedy and that sure looks to be a mug shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Missizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 06:00 PM
There is no original thought....

Denver and the suburbs of Denver, have some very scary people. I need to learn a bit more about this case, however, in my expierence, I feel safer in Compton than Denver.... MOOOO. Gangs are everywhere, and drug use is hitting an all time high around here. Very scary!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommy23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Compton, CA?? Really? That's saying something. I had no idea you guys were dealing with so much gang violence. The Nortenos and the Surtenos have been known to tag occasionally in Medford, OR (15 miles north of me) but it's really rare to hear of anything gang related in Ashland. I guess it's a matter of time as we're on the I-5 corridor. Ashland is known as a hippie town and there's really very little violence. Most sit around and whine about panhandling by street kids, some camping in the park, pot gardens in every other backyard, and naked women riding their bikes around town. I really need to remind Ashlanders to shut it up and count their blessings. I'll deal with what we've got, thank you very much.

I just noticed that the Denver Post identifies one of the young women by two very different spellings of her name; Jessica Escany and Jessica Escedy. I found a few Escedys in the Denver area but not the other spelling. Being that I'm pretty sure that's a mug shot of Jessica, I'd like to know what she's been arrested for in the past. I wish they'd get their facts straight:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16473748

Which is it?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
Compton, CA?? Really? That's saying something. I had no idea you guys were dealing with so much gang violence. The Nortenos and the Surtenos have been known to tag occasionally in Medford, OR (15 miles north of me) but it's really rare to hear of anything gang related in Ashland. I guess it's a matter of time as we're on the I-5 corridor. Ashland is known as a hippie town and there's really very little violence. Most sit around and whine about panhandling by street kids, some camping in the park, pot gardens in every other backyard, and naked women riding their bikes around town. I really need to remind Ashlanders to shut it up and count their blessings. I'll deal with what we've got, thank you very much.

I just noticed that the Denver Post identifies one of the young women by two very different spellings of her name; Jessica Escany and Jessica Escedy. I found a few Escedys in the Denver area but not the other spelling. Being that I'm pretty sure that's a mug shot of Jessica, I'd like to know what she's been arrested for in the past. I wish they'd get their facts straight:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16473748

Which is it?
Oh yeah, I am from Rogue River.... I know the gangs have grown around there a bit, but still nothing like the bigger cities. Thankfully.

Denver Is a beautiful place, but there are areas that you just don't go! Where this attack started isn't the really bad part, but def a place that I wouldn't go to alone. Hard to tell if this is gang related or not, a little unclear in the articles. Drugs have a huge presence around here. And I would guess they were all using something during this
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommy23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Retired WS Staff

New suspect named in kidnapping, beating case

GLENDALE - Police have named a fourth suspect in the kidnapping and beating case of a woman last week, and the three previous suspects have been arrested and could now face charges of attempted murder.

Glendale Police say 21-year-old Justin Drake Wasinger is being sought in connection with the kidnapping and beating of a woman in her 20s who wished to be known only as Monique.

Police have already arrested three people accused of kidnapping and torturing the woman. The three suspects, 22-year-old Kalena Joeckel, a.k.a. Kalena Rodriguez, 22-year-old Kelly Mahana, a.k.a. Choice, and 19-year-old Jessica Ecsedy were arrested in California after they fled the state.

According to authorities, the three may now face upgraded charges of attempted murder.

more here - but above is pretty much the only new updates I've seen

http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...0985&catid=222
~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
RachelCookeSearch.org
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Retired WS Staff

3 outta 4 arrested

Three suspects arrested in Glendale abduction, torture

By Joey Bunch
The Denver Post
POSTED: 10/31/2010 05:01:14 PM MDT
UPDATED: 10/31/2010 05:31:34 PM MDT

Three people suspected of abducting and torturing an acquaintance they had been out partying with in Glendale on Oct. 22 were arrested Saturday in San Diego as they prepared to cross the border into Mexico, police said Sunday.
Kalena Joeckel, 22, Kelly Mahana, 22, and Jessica Escedy, 19, are being held in California on $100,000 bond each, pending their extradition.

Ross said investigators received information about the three's approximate location, and San Diego police quickly closed in and made the arrests.

"They were still traveling in the same car they left here in," he said.
Glendale police on Sunday named a fourth suspect in the case.

Justin Drake Wasinger, 21, was last seen in Tempe, Ariz. and might be on his way back to Colorado, Ross said.

"He has an extensive criminal history and we do consider him to be extremely violent and possibly armed as well," Ross said.

more here

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16485722
~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
RachelCookeSearch.org
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM

http://cbs4denver.com/local/glendale...2.1989629.html

Another article and photos. Where's Wasinger? He's been in the news before:

http://www.gazette.com/articles/poli...-bondsman.html

His MS:

http://www.myspace.com/chilocg

Thank God they got the three.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 PM

Yeah they caught them, and wtg for San diego LE for stepping into help. I sure hope the 4th one is really coming back to CO, and is stupid enough to go home. They'll be watching I'm sure. I sure hope no one else is involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommy23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 PM

The Wasinger name is very familiar to me, and I've only lived here for 8 months... I'm not sure where I heard it, but I'm gonna keep checking to see if there are more priors that are recent.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommy23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 AM

I'm not seeing Wasinger on Vinelink and no other articles seem to come up since the incident with the bail bondsman last November. Maybe he's had some trial dates which have been in the news. Wonder why his bail bondsman was arresting him?

Rogue River, huh? Not far from me....
Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Not really that tough...

Quote:
http://cbs4denver.com/local/glendale...2.1989629.html

Another article and photos. Where's Wasinger? He's been in the news before:

http://www.gazette.com/articles/poli...-bondsman.html

His MS:

http://www.myspace.com/chilocg

Thank God they got the three.
Wow, real nice guy:

Anyone know what the gang sign is that he's flashing? ETA - found it. It's WEST SIDE

Last edited by Tuffy; 11-01-2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: gang sign
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuffy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM

That's odd as the other male, Kelly Mahana, came from Whittier, CA and that would be considered East side. But definitely blue....and BAD.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Scary pics! I couldn't seem to find any more info on him.... I sleep derived brain is incapable of sleuthing!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not seeing Wasinger on Vinelink and no other articles seem to come up since the incident with the bail bondsman last November. Maybe he's had some trial dates which have been in the news. Wonder why his bail bondsman was arresting him?
That usually happens if someone out on bond skips a court date (the bond being the guarantee that they'll show up).

That is sick and scary what happened to this woman! I'm so glad LE was on top of it and nailed these freaks.
The Following User Says Thank You to reen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 06:33 PM

But reen--Only three of them!! There's still one scary one out there. Justin Wasinger--the guy Tuffy posted above. Vicious. This had to be be some sort of reprisal. They probably thought that the victim wouldn't go to LE but she had no choice when she had the accident. It's got to be gang related, IMO. I think that's the only reason victims are ever let go--to be a warning to others.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Find Kyron

Glendale is, or at least used to be, known as a city with one of the highest concentrations of bars within its limits. That being said, I think the total area of Glendale is maybe 4 square miles. It's very tiny and most people wouldn't even realize they're in the city unless they saw the city limit signs. I grew up in Denver, so I know the geography fairly well....haven't lived there in 10 years, though. And I don't want to go back - it's too big.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Glendale is pretty small, but there have been a few major crimes there this summer... I just moved here this year, so not sure if this is normal or not. This one started in the Aurora area, and moved to Glendale..... If I follow correctly. Although I keep mixing up my geography, so I could be totally wrong
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommy23 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Find Kyron

and Aurora is a TOTALLY different story. Part of Aurora (Smoky Hill, for example) is okay...that would be the west and south sides...but any place close to old Stapleton airport, Chambers, Peoria, I-225, 6th Ave, Alameda (the parts of these streets that go through Aurora)...definitely gang territory. I lived there right when the gangs really started making their presence known. Moved, and am very happy I did. Lots of activity right my old neighborhood.

Not to say that there is not any gang activity anywhere else. I live in a much smaller community north of Denver, and it's here too....just not as bad. FWIW, I lived in Pueblo, HATED that. Co. Spgs. is nice, but the activity seems to be picking up there, as well. But, it is on the I-25 corridor, and we know that I-25 is a major drug trafficking route. Drugs come up from the south....
Old 11-02-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThinker View Post
and Aurora is a TOTALLY different story. Part of Aurora (Smoky Hill, for example) is okay...that would be the west and south sides...but any place close to old Stapleton airport, Chambers, Peoria, I-225, 6th Ave, Alameda (the parts of these streets that go through Aurora)...definitely gang territory. I lived there right when the gangs really started making their presence known. Moved, and am very happy I did. Lots of activity right my old neighborhood.

Not to say that there is not any gang activity anywhere else. I live in a much smaller community north of Denver, and it's here too....just not as bad. FWIW, I lived in Pueblo, HATED that. Co. Spgs. is nice, but the activity seems to be picking up there, as well. But, it is on the I-25 corridor, and we know that I-25 is a major drug trafficking route. Drugs come up from the south....
Ya, we are in the springs and see a lot... We moved here blind from Oregon, and are in one of the worst areas of town. We see a lot... Thankfully we are moving to widefield in 2 weeks! Hopefully the gangs stay away!

I don't know that I could name any gangs in the area, just that there are a lot of crimes related to gang violence. Drugs are also a huge issue, as they are all over! Our neighbors belong to a gang, not sure what, but they like us and protect us, so I'll just go with that for now.... The younger guy (early 20's) woke us up around 1 am one night to tell us to get our kids out of thier rooms... Their windows face the back, to a big empty field, and people had guns, all he said was "get them babies out of those back windows, ***** is going down!" And then he ran off. We didnt question, just ran and got our kids and held them real close that night. Sad, that this is just part of life sometimes!

A lot different from growing u in Southern Oregon!

Sorry for rambling o/t!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mommy23 For This Useful Post: