Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 PM
50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176

OH - Tina Herrmann, K Maynard, S Sprang, Murdered, 11.10.2010 - 13 yo rescued #6

Please continue here.

If you know anything about the 4 missing please contact:
Knox County Sheriffs Office: (740)397-3333

Detective Division of KCSO: (740)393-6800
2 kids & 2 adults are missing. Kody Maynard (10), Tina Herrmann (32) and Stephanie Sprang (41).
Sarah Maynard (13) - Rescued!

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

Thread 5

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Retired WS Staff

is it just me or does today seem to be dragging on?

It must be 1000 times worse for the families of Tina, Kody & Stephanie.
~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
Rachel's thread - WS
RachelCookeSearch.org
Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM
This is love

Cubby, thanks for putting links to all the threads!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Cazzie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 PM

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_articl...storyid=159071

Quote:
AKRON -- An expert in serial killers believes Matthew Hoffman, charged with kidnapping and a suspect in the 3 mssing people near Mount Vernon, will be a unique challenge to police because his crime is so unusual.

Dr. Mary E. Myers, an associate professor at the University of Akron, teaches a course on serial killers and is a retired Akron Police Captain.

Myers believes that Hoffman's eight years behind bars most likely led to an anti-social personality which makes his future behavior unpredictable.
Thanks to Texas Mist for posting this article just before the fold in the last thread.

BBM - It bothers me that he says this, because I suspect another expert could very well argue that the antisocial tendency was well established before MH spent time in prison. I don't think prison "led him" to it AT ALL.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayjay View Post
BBM - It bothers me that he says this, because I suspect another expert could very well argue that the antisocial tendency was well established before MH spent time in prison. I don't think prison "led him" to it AT ALL.
I agree. Furthermore, I hate quotes like this. Dr. Myers is making these statements from the scant information available from the media, some of which are statements from neighbors possibly looking for a few minutes on television, rather than accurate observations.

I really, really hate psychologists, doctors, and profilers who make statements to the media about cases because they aren't privy to the the full information necessary to even back up the claims they are making.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to AnaTeresa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM
To thine ownself be true

Hi, all, I'm a few day behind due to hospitalization. Have they checked the basement of TH's house?

Does anyone else remember the case where the family was missing but they were deceased in the basement but no one looked down there?
“The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment.” ~Bertrand Russell
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ScorpRising For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks to Texas Mist for posting this article just before the fold in the last thread.

MH did spend a considerable amount of time in prison, eight years, when you think that he was only 20 years old when he went in so who really knows. I wonder what he was like before he went to prison. It would be interesting to see prison reports on what kind of inmate he was in prison, his behavior and such. But he clearly had major problems before he ever went to prison. I think that the article posted by TexasMist makes an excellent point. The expert said this crime poses a unique challenge for LE.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Soul125 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Just 1 tip to find a killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpRising View Post
Hi, all, I'm a few day behind due to hospitalization. Have they checked the basement of TH's house?

Does anyone else remember the case where the family was missing but they were deceased in the basement but no one looked down there?
hope you feel better real soon!!!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to passionflower For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul125 View Post
MH did spend a considerable amount of time in prison, eight years, when you think that he was only 20 years old when he went in so who really knows. I wonder what he was like before he went to prison. It would be interesting to see prison reports on what kind of inmate he was in prison, his behavior and such. But he clearly had major problems before he ever went to prison. I think that the article posted by TexasMist makes an excellent point. The expert said this crime poses a unique challenge for LE.
I think being a retired police captain would have a lot of insight to dangerous criminals & the horrible crimes they commit.

I don't agree either that going to prison caused any personality disorders tho -- I think it fueled him w/ more rage making him more dangerous on release.

Wish we knew why Myers thinks going to prison could cause APD.
~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
RachelCookeSearch.org
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Someone posted up-thread (last thread?) that MH did have incidents while in prison.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Greener For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Retired WS Staff

Quote:

Hope all is better now, Scorp.

I think it's safe to say LE checked the basement -- that's where Sarah was found.

Sheriff Barber made a comment in the presser today about them not getting much sleep, and Knox County seems to be working very hard on this case & they've got lots of help from the big guns: OSHP, OBCII, FBI, and LE from surrounding counties.

I hope they get enough evidence against Hoffman soon so he can be pressured into talking....I don't think he'll talk until there's something in it for him- like avoiding the DP.
~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Rachel's thread - WS
RachelCookeSearch.org
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Someone posted his prison report in the last 2 threads somewhere it listed how many reports he had filed on his and stuff like that.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peeples For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mist View Post
Hope all is better now, Scorp.

I hope they get enough evidence against Hoffman soon so he can be pressured into talking....I don't think he'll talk until there's something in it for him- like avoiding the DP.
It's hard for them to do that with these numbers, though. Prosecutors will sometimes spot you one to recover a body, but three would be a little much.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Deeemdee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM

many profilers will tell you that when you're looking for a sexual predator, and I know we don't know that yet to be true in this case, but their crimes often start with simple peeping, then burglary , and then assualt....then murder....

your personality is pretty much fixed by the time you are 5 yrs old....granted, 7 yrs in prison for a soft looking young man must have been horrendous....

I suspect that MH has been an active criminal for many years....probably early on in life and when he was out of prison...
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to peel For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
This is love

JH on FB posted that they'd reported seeing him on the Heart of Ohio trail. They went down there and were told that there were live mines in the woods and to stay out of there. Police and FBI going in.

No words.

Perhaps this is part of why Barber seemed so different at the presser and it was so brief.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeples View Post
Someone posted his prison report in the last 2 threads somewhere it listed how many reports he had filed on his and stuff like that.
Ok, thanks. I must have missed it somehow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soul125 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Pretty place:
http://www.knoxcountyparks.org/ohio%20trail.htm
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Deeemdee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeemdee View Post
OT, but one thing I have learned about Ohio having never visited the state is how many trails, beautiful parks, lakes there are compared to flat IL.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Soul125 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Where is Kyron?

Just blabbering here, these are all my own thoughts from what has happened today.
1. I thought the press conference had an emphasis on press, as in pressed for time. The tempo was much different than past press conferences.
2. I heard nothing of another press conference taking place. Could mean nothing, not in the least, but...
3. The chatter today from FB (which are still just rumors at this point) gives me this feeling in my stomach that I am not too happy with. (The posts have been removed, rightfully so, but they appeared pre-press conference and the tone of the conference didn't help relieve any of the feelings I have.) [mods, snip me if this isn't allowed.]
4. I can not help but really, really wonder about Stephani (MS?) and her time line. From what she was wearing, to who saw her last (wouldn't that be her child??), to how her car showed up at Tina's. I can not say this enough, her information is a BIG gap for me in this time line.
5. My heart bleeds for this community. I see how diligently they are all working, the support and generosity is out of this world, and personally I couldn't think of a better community to live in. Wicked people exist everywhere but it is nice to see where those that are evil exist the strong unite as the beacon of humanity.

I pray that there are answers soon.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sherbetjello For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM

I'm bringing this post over from Thread 5, to answer it.

Originally Posted by Leila
">
Stephanie has three children two boys and a girl, ages 9, 17, and 19. I've found the divorce records for Stephanie and two husbands. She was divorced from the first husband in 1995 and they had two children. She was divorced from the second husband in 2007 and I'm assuming that the youngest child was from that marriage.

I think the children are living with their fathers. In the first divorce, the two children had a week with one parent and a week with the other. That may be the case with the youngest too.

I'm stumped. According to this post
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley, 11.10.2010 - 13 year old rescued #5
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley, 11.10.2010 - 13 year old rescued #5
, she has had five different surnames. One has been proven to be her maiden name (Thompson). She is probably not divorced from her last husband. That still leaves one extra name unaccounted for. Just trying to make sense of too many things in this case that don't add up.

This is what I've found so far.....................

Stephanie was evidently married to ******* Kupiec and had two children, a boy and a girl with him. They were divorced in 1995. On February 25, 2010 they went back to court for a modification of child support based on the fact that the oldest child was now an adult. The youngest child of that marriage is now 17. The modification of child support was settled on Sept. 7, 2010.

Stephanie then married a man named ********Glancy. There were no children from this brief marriage. They were divorced on Sept. 15, 1997.

Stephanie then married a man named *******Sprang. She had one child from this marriage, the youngest child, a boy. They were divorced on November 19, 2007. It's been stated on other forums that the father has custody of the youngest son.

I find no records of Stephanie having been married to a man by the name of Cochran, unless it was in another county. Interestingly, she shares the same birthday - month and day - as the suspect, MH.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:

That's an excellent question! Does Tina's house have a basement and if so, I wonder if MH put them in the basement? Perhaps that's where they were when the deputy did the two welfare checks on Wednesday evening?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't see how Stephanie's different marriages (and various surnames, hence probably the surnames of her children as well) play into the public sleuthing of this case. Unless it's a possible connection somehow to MH, then I think it's way too much info on a victim being posted.

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Last edited by belimom; 11-17-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
I'm bringing this post over from Thread 5, to answer it.

Originally Posted by Leila
Stephanie has three children two boys and a girl, ages 9, 17, and 19. I've found the divorce records for Stephanie and two husbands. She was divorced from the first husband in 1995 and they had two children. She was divorced from the second husband in 2007 and I'm assuming that the youngest child was from that marriage.

I think the children are living with their fathers. In the first divorce, the two children had a week with one parent and a week with the other. That may be the case with the youngest too.

I'm stumped. According to this post Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley, 11.10.2010 - 13 year old rescued #5
, she has had five different surnames. One has been proven to be her maiden name (Thompson). She is probably not divorced from her last husband. That still leaves one extra name unaccounted for. Just trying to make sense of too many things in this case that don't add up.

This is what I've found so far.....................

Stephanie was evidently married to ******* Kupiec and had two children, a boy and a girl with him. They were divorced in 1995. On February 25, 2010 they went back to court for a modification of child support based on the fact that the oldest child was now an adult. The youngest child of that marriage is now 17. The modification of child support was settled on Sept. 7, 2010.

Stephanie then married a man named ********Glancy. There were no children from this brief marriage. They were divorced on Sept. 15, 1997.

Stephanie then married a man named *******Sprang. She had one child from this marriage, the youngest child, a boy. They were divorced on November 19, 2007. It's been stated on other forums that the father has custody of the youngest son.

I find no records of Stephanie having been married to a man by the name of Cochran, unless it was in another county. Interestingly, she shares the same birthday - month and day - as the suspect, MH.
BBM

The same exact birthday...now that is very weird!!!
Wonder what the odds are of that...a killer and this victim having the exact same birthday??
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cher352 For This Useful Post:

Quote:

That's the first thing I thought when I read it too. I don't think the prosecutor in that trial would have said that it was prison that caused his anti-social tendecies--I think he would say that things were off well before that. Although I doubt that prison helped the situation either.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nyc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Is this what you are speaking of Peoples & Greener? Posts - #10 & #12
------
“a spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Corrections said Tuesday that he (Hoffman) had received 11 disciplinary actions between 2001 and 2007. Those included three for assaults, damage to property and threats against another inmate. He also was penalized four times for refusing to work.”

Last edited by Java; 11-17-2010 at 08:03 PM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Java For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread