Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul125 View Post
I believe the sheriff stated the receipt was for tarps, trash bags, a t shirt, and a sandwich. If I recall correctly.
These reports don't mention the sandwich, but I remember "hearing" it too (reading).

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio (AP) -- A sheriff in central Ohio says a tarp and trash bags were taken from the home of a 13-year-old girl who was found bound and gagged in the basement of a man's home about 10 miles away.

Knox County Sheriff David Barber said Tuesday that the items found in the girl's home in Howard are significant to the investigation. He also says a Wal-Mart receipt listing tarps and trash bags has been found, but would not say where or when.

http://wsbradio.com/common/ap/2010/11/16/D9JHEOK00.html

Does anyone have a somewhat reliable news source? I mean one that has about 50 percent of the facts straight ...

ETA
Sandwich source (at least one anyway)

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...g.html?sid=101

The sheriff also confirmed that investigators had a receipt indicating that Matthew J. Hoffman, the man accused of kidnapping a 13-year-old girl and holding her captive at his Mount Vernon home, bought a tarp, trash bags, a t-shirt and a sandwich at a local Walmart.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Noway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 PM

Per FB, channel 6 just said a hunter found something behind TH's house. A news crew is on the way there.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Soul125 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 PM

WBNS 10TV had breaking news at the start of their 11:00 PM newscast.

A night time search is being conducted right now in a remote wooded area near Tina's home. It is an area that LE hasn't yet searched.

A hunter reported seeing buzzards flying over a remote wooded area this morning and this evening.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerosleuth View Post
WBNS 10TV had breaking news at the start of their 11:00 PM newscast.

A night time search is being conducted right now in a remote wooded area near Tina's home. It is an area that LE hasn't yet searched.

A hunter reported seeing buzzards flying over a remote wooded area this morning and this evening.
I know this might be a dumb question, but why wouldn't they search near her home to begin with. I thought a search is normally conducted where you being close to the crime and branch out.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Soul125 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerosleuth View Post
A night time search is being conducted right now in a remote wooded area near Tina's home.
Wouldn't this be one of the 1st places they would think of searching?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Laddsy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM

That's what I was going to say...they didn't search the wooded area close to her home??
Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

Someone else on FB saying that he did not act alone and that there is more than is being told. I may have once believed that, but no longer. Especially hearing that he is a loner.

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 PM

I have a very bad feeling about this. Praying and holding my breath that it isn't bad news. So close to her home makes sense though with 3 bodies to hide. He may not have made much effort to hide them at all.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Soul125 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

Quote:
I have a very bad feeling about this. Praying and holding my breath that it isn't bad news. So close to her home makes sense though with 3 bodies to hide. He may not have made much effort to hide them at all.
Maybe the truck and bags at the campus were a red herring after all.

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 PM

If this is where they are found, then LE has really dropped the ball. JMO
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JenRen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 PM

Ironic. I was just watching TV10 news Jeff Hogan saying, "they're running out of ideas and places to look."
http://www.10tv.com/live/content/loc...h.html?sid=102 at 1:45 on video upper right
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to grayjay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Websleuth Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRen View Post
If this is where they are found, then LE has really dropped the ball. JMO
I'm not really prepared to be that hard on LE at this point....I think they've been doing all they can. Its obvious they really want to find these victims.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 PM
Montana

Tina's house, based on a picture posted in one of the previous threads, was in a somewhat remote area ... didn't look like neighbors were that close.

I won't be hard on LE at all. If they are found in a place they had searched, well then, maybe.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Noway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noway View Post
Tina's house, based on a picture posted in one of the previous threads, was in a somewhat remote area ... didn't look like neighbors were that close.

I won't be hard on LE at all. If they are found in a place they had searched, well then, maybe.
I was looking at the googlemap and it looks like most of the land near Tina's house is farmland. Of course, you can't really tell from a map I guess. It just seems odd to place a body where it would be found so easily.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soul125 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Montana

Sadly, people don't always search their properties when someone in their area goes missing.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Noway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:42 PM
"From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class."*

Quote:

I saw a video of them searching a few days back, and it was in a place with dense growth. I mean shoulder-high grass or something. It would be easy to miss the bodies. LE aren't supermen. I think they're doing a great job.

*Raymond Chandler
Old 11-17-2010, 11:44 PM
"From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class."*

Quote:
Originally Posted by belimom View Post
Someone else on FB saying that he did not act alone and that there is more than is being told. I may have once believed that, but no longer. Especially hearing that he is a loner.
I will not be surprised at all if it turns out someone else is also involved.

*Raymond Chandler
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to STEADFAST For This Useful Post:

I thought it was ironic that the news made a comment like they did, is all.

They hadn't searched there, but I don't think it makes them look incompetent in the least. They have to coordinate this whole thing spread over such an area.

I've seen before, that even places that have been searched can later come back into play. They are suddenly expected to look everywhere at the same time.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to grayjay For This Useful Post:
This is love

SIGH. Please, please, find these 3 people and 1 dog...alive.

Option 2, just find them.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the googlemap and it looks like most of the land near Tina's house is farmland. Of course, you can't really tell from a map I guess. It just seems odd to place a body where it would be found so easily.
I guess we'll see. But it's not always easy to find a body on farmland. Morgan Harrington's body was placed on farmland and she was missing for quite a spell.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Deeemdee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I think the issue is: Did S last see her mom on Wednesday morning when S left for school?

Or Wednesday afternoon when she returned from school? Or that evening?

It could be that Tina and Stephanie were taken during the morning/early afternoon, and the kids when they returned from school.
All that we know is that Sarah last saw her mom and brother on Wednesday. I don't think there was a time given. I do know it was stated by LE in an article on 10news columbus today that the kids rode the bus home Wed, and that is when they were last seen, before LE rescued Sarah. Sarah states she did not see Stephanie Wed, but on tues. Fits with the schedule of Steph coming over AFTER kids left for school, BEFORE TH's shift to look for apt's.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to snapdragon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 PM
This is love

Even if the unspeakable happens or has already happened...

There are at least 6 very powerful and positive things that have happened:

1. Sarah's alive and as well as can be expected
2. MH behind bars
3. Community bonding even stronger than before
4. New friendships and bonds made
5. Rainbow over Mount Vernon today (photo of it showing Foundation Park)
6. Love and caring from hundreds (thousands?) of people who never knew these people...many who don't live in Ohio and never did

Oh heck...way more than 6.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Montana

Bringing forward from another thread

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH OH - 2 women and 2 children, Apple Valley - 13 year old rescued - Media Links

originally posted by: crocus
A - 481 King Beach Drive, Howard, OH Tina Hermann home
B - 13787 Magers Road, Howard, OH 43028 Stephanie Sprang home
C - 3730 Apple Valley Dr, Howard, OH 43028 Matt Hoffman Parents home
D - 9781 Laymon Road, Gambier, Ohio 43022 Hermann's truck found
E - 49 Columbus Rd, Mt. Vernon, OH 43050 Matt Hoffman home - Sarah Maynard found here
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Noway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefner View Post
I'm not really prepared to be that hard on LE at this point....I think they've been doing all they can. Its obvious they really want to find these victims.
And there's so many police agencies involved, including the state police and the FBI, and county sheriff deputies from surrounding counties.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
Even if the unspeakable happens or has already happened...

There are at least 6 very powerful and positive things that have happened:

1. Sarah's alive and as well as can be expected
2. MH behind bars
3. Community bonding even stronger than before
4. New friendships and bonds made
5. Rainbow over Mount Vernon today (photo of it showing Foundation Park)
6. Love and caring from hundreds (thousands?) of people who never knew these people...many who don't live in Ohio and never did

Oh heck...way more than 6.

AMEN! The biggest powerful to me is that MH is behind bars.. Hopefully they can collect enough to charge him beyond kidnapping. This man, IMHO, is the next Dahmer, Bundy.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to snapdragon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread