Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Caylee Anthony 2 years old

Notices

Caylee Anthony 2 years old Not reported missing for a month after she was last seen.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM
. . . only the pure of heart can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faefrost View Post
Why even enter a motion regarding the kitchen knife? Why make any sort of a big deal about it? It's not something that the SA is going to wave around the courtroom making slashing motions with? Autopsy seemed to indicate that Caylee probably was not shot stabbed or subjected to trauma, nor was she dismembered. So the kitchen knife was simply in the car. Nothing more than evidence of KC's live out of her car lifestyle. The SA would not be calling much attention to it if any, simply because it is a lousy piece of evidence. It has no forensics. Was cleaned by CA so they might not have gotten the right one back, and there is no indication it was used in the crime? Attempting to do anything more than listing it on the list of things reported found in the car would be insane for the SA. It would be giving the defense a piece of dodgy evidence to grandstand over. Heck thinking on it some more I can't imagine why the defense would want it eliminated now? Having it used at trial would allow them some courtroom theatrics that they just will not be able to get from the more solid actual evidence?
ITA with everything you've said, faefrost. And on top of all that, I've always wondered how and who decided that was the exact knife that was the one in the car. As I understand it, it was one of a set of several, had been washed and put back in the drawer; how could anyone be certain it was even the same knife?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faefrost View Post
Why even enter a motion regarding the kitchen knife? Why make any sort of a big deal about it? It's not something that the SA is going to wave around the courtroom making slashing motions with? Autopsy seemed to indicate that Caylee probably was not shot stabbed or subjected to trauma, nor was she dismembered. So the kitchen knife was simply in the car. Nothing more than evidence of KC's live out of her car lifestyle. The SA would not be calling much attention to it if any, simply because it is a lousy piece of evidence. It has no forensics. Was cleaned by CA so they might not have gotten the right one back, and there is no indication it was used in the crime? Attempting to do anything more than listing it on the list of things reported found in the car would be insane for the SA. It would be giving the defense a piece of dodgy evidence to grandstand over. Heck thinking on it some more I can't imagine why the defense would want it eliminated now? Having it used at trial would allow them some courtroom theatrics that they just will not be able to get from the more solid actual evidence?
Because Casey told them something about the knife that would be detrimental to the case and he's scared the SA knows, too?

Because the knife was used for some unrelated nefarious deed and Baez doesn't want the SA to even go there?

Because Baez is desperate to win *something* so his girl will be proud of him once more?

Because "logical" isn't wired into Baez's mind?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpectingUnicorns View Post
ITA with everything you've said, faefrost. And on top of all that, I've always wondered how and who decided that was the exact knife that was the one in the car. As I understand it, it was one of a set of several, had been washed and put back in the drawer; how could anyone be certain it was even the same knife?
This was early in the investigation before LE became fully aware of some of CA's antics such as the dogs brush. Cindy said this was the knife. They took her word for it. There was never anything related to the kife that would have had them go back and re-examine it or the full set.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to faefrost For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 04:19 PM
WS Moderator

Quote:
Maybe LE examined all of them and just returned all but the one which had the fabric pieces attached.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Because Casey told them something about the knife that would be detrimental to the case and he's scared the SA knows, too?

Because the knife was used for some unrelated nefarious deed and Baez doesn't want the SA to even go there?

Because Baez is desperate to win *something* so his girl will be proud of him once more?

Because "logical" isn't wired into Baez's mind?

because he's trying to draw attention away from something else?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
If justice doesn't get you, karma will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
Maybe LE examined all of them and just returned all but the one which had the fabric pieces attached.
This is what I am hoping. I can't believe LE would be stupid enough to just take Cindy Anthony at her word. I believe they took that whole dang drawer just in case. So why worry about a knife, then? It almost sounds like these motions are to try to draw out the prosecution to see what they have, you know, that mysterious stuff they aren't sharing with the defense for some nefarious reason *huge eyeroll*
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aedrys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Peace Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondJamesBond View Post
Apparantly not.

Against what's left of my better judgement...

There's a new thread here moving from "General" discussion to a specific topic re: relevancy of Casey's Lies, Stealing & Social/Sex Life.

There's an invisible sign that only the mods can see over that thread that reads, "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enters Here". :HBwhiteflag:

Will do what we can to sort this out. Just do your part to post w/ TOS in mind and keep the nightmare PG-rated. TIA.
In the most respectful manner, I read your post and broke out into song!!

"Because you're mine - I walk the line......"
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Peace Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
because he's trying to draw attention away from something else?
You could be so right - we do know Baez creates drama and lets off a few fireworks when he doesn't want us to notice the main act that is hiding behind the curtain.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
Did we see any forensics come back indicating they found anything on the knife? I am pretty sure that we have all of the LE and prosecution forensic reports back. I don't think there are anymore hidden surprises in that regard, outside of some autopsy specifics such as photos. So if we have not found anything big about the knife in the document dumps, its probably nothing more than what it seems. just another piece of household junk that KC tossed in her car and couldn't be bothered to take out. Along with other stuff such as dirty laundry, shoes, household garbage and her daughters decomposing body.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to faefrost For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM

I was googling for info on the knife when I came across this picture at http://livewire.wesh.com/Event/Casey..._6_2009?Page=0

At first I thought it just looked like a regular knife from a steak knife set but then I looked at the scale below. It looks like that knife is about 16 inches long. That's no dinner or steak knife. (I measured mine and they're only 10 inches.) I do have a fancy carving set that's one large fork and one large knife ~ I'm wondering if this is the kind of "set" that the Anthony's knife came from and why they knew which knife (from the "set") was the exact one that was in the car.

This might answer that question but, in turn, presents a new one. What the heck was she doing with such a large knife like that in her car? She sure wasn't spreading any peanut butter and jelly on crackers for Caylee with that huge thing!!!! moo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Casey's Knife.jpg (22.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Cached

Yep, way to draw attention to the 'previously not' but now 'oh so' suspicious knife JOSE!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I was googling for info on the knife when I came across this picture at http://livewire.wesh.com/Event/Casey..._6_2009?Page=0

At first I thought it just looked like a regular knife from a steak knife set but then I looked at the scale below. It looks like that knife is about 16 inches long. That's no dinner or steak knife. (I measured mine and they're only 10 inches.) I do have a fancy carving set that's one large fork and one large knife ~ I'm wondering if this is the kind of "set" that the Anthony's knife came from and why they knew which knife (from the "set") was the exact one that was in the car.

This might answer that question but, in turn, presents a new one. What the heck was she doing with such a large knife like that in her car? She sure wasn't spreading any peanut butter and jelly on crackers for Caylee with that huge thing!!!! moo
The scale on the ruler says it's 6 inches long. I'd say that knife is, at best, 10 inches.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to FaerieB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:

If you look, that is a 6 inch ruler, I believe. Regular table knife.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SondraK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Hinky's Discovery lists it as a dinner knife.

"OCSO property form for items recovered from car including mama doll, Dora backpack, dinner knife, blue plastic crate, KC’s black leather bag, Caylee’s toothbrush; and recovery of laptop and power cord, plastic clothes hangers (possibly from car) and “various papers”; trash bag from trunk – all recovered on 7/16/08 (230-231)"

Drat. It would have been so much more interesting had it been a machete.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieB View Post
The scale on the ruler says it's 6 inches long. I'd say that knife is, at best, 10 inches.
OMGosh; I am so sorry! And guess what? I already had my cataract surgery done earlier this year. Guess those SmartLens they put in aren't so smart after all!
Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Of the boyfriends who were deposed, who said that KC spent the night and the 3 of them (boyfriend, KC and Caylee) were in the same bed?
Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kathy1964 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Praying for Justice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy1964 View Post
Of the boyfriends who were deposed, who said that KC spent the night and the 3 of them (boyfriend, KC and Caylee) were in the same bed?
Thanks
Ricardo Morales - Page 11 of this: http://www.thehinkymeter.com/Library...ales072508.pdf
"His overall behavior, they wrote, showed "a total lack of respect for the rights of others and a total lack of respect for the legal system, which is absolutely inconsistent with the character and fitness qualities required of those seeking to be afforded the highest position of trust and confidence recognized by our system of law." (Thank you to TWA) Read their opinion here: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d...ps/sc95855.pdf
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nums24 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Retired WS Staff

JB's "stream of motions" was IMO, timed for maximum impact and news effect. I can almost see his smirk now as he imagined the reaction and news coverage that it would garner.

But.... the single motion for sanctions filed by the SA, clearly trumped JB's attempt at "shock and awe" and dropped him "below the fold".

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Better Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleutherontheside View Post
JB's "stream of motions" was IMO, timed for maximum impact and news effect. I can almost see his smirk now as he imagined the reaction and news coverage that it would garner.

But.... the single motion for sanctions filed by the SA, clearly trumped JB's attempt at "shock and awe" and dropped him "below the fold".

Now I know why we needed that knife. To cut up the red herrings! Yumm Yumm!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM
'wild rose country...'

regarding the knife-----was there ever anything in Discovery re: the pocketknife?

cindy---state Depo---July 29 2009

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/Library...depo072909.pdf

Q Okay. The console, does it have storage?
A Yes.

Q Did you check inside there for anything?
A Yes.. I didn't take anything out, though.

Q Okay.
A There was items in there.

Q That were left there by you and then -
A Right

Q -- when law enforcement eventually took the
car --
A It was in their possession. And I never got
a receipt for those items.

Q -- those items remained. Do you remember
anything that could have been in there?

A I know there was change and probably some
notes or something and there was a pocketknife in the
console.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Peace Hawk

Can't wait for January 3rd to roll around and it's gonna come quickly. It's Christmas Eve Day, then Christmas Day, then Boxing Day, then New Years Eve, New Years Day, then put the decorations away, do some vacuuming, compare stories because no one is actually doing any work yet, and then,

BA-DA-BOOM! Do I hear clanking chains and say Hello HHJP?

But unlike ICA in her little cell, I'll be having a good time waiting.

Tick Tock Baez.....buckle up, ya got a tough four months ahead before things really blow up in your face.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
Can't wait for January 3rd to roll around and it's gonna come quickly. It's Christmas Eve Day, then Christmas Day, then Boxing Day, then New Years Eve, New Years Day, then put the decorations away, do some vacuuming, compare stories because no one is actually doing any work yet, and then,

BA-DA-BOOM! Do I hear clanking chains and say Hello HHJP?

But unlike ICA in her little cell, I'll be having a good time waiting.

Tick Tock Baez.....buckle up, ya got a tough four months ahead before things really blow up in your face.
LG - you are too funny!

But you are right . Things are moving at a faster pace. I've got a house to pack up and move in the next few weeks. That ought to make it go quickly for me. But I see a lot of activity coming up with hearings and motions and final depositions. Its going to get very interesting in the next couple of months. I think there are big developments coming.

By the way, Merry Christmas everyone!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to QB. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Peace Hawk

Yowsers QB - you are the brave one! Moving!!

Thanks for the Christmas wishes - and many back to you !

We were yakking away on the threads the other day when one of the posters said not long - four and a half months.....B-O-I-N-G! We've all been waiting so long it was a shock to me to hear it's now actually that close.

Time is gonna fly - you are right - action packed leading up to it. I was expecting a slow walk to Christmas, and just look what happened - BAM!
Lots of news! Here we are!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Peace Hawk

Talking

Only five more sleeps!!!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 AM
If justice doesn't get you, karma will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalgirl View Post
Only five more sleeps!!!
ROFL. Sadly, on New Year's Day, I'll be celebrating because it'll be two more days and my boss won't be here, so I'll be able to follow along on WS! WOOT!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aedrys For This Useful Post: