Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Currently Awaiting Trial

Notices

Currently Awaiting Trial Where the suspects are in jail, awaiting the start of the trial


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:23 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
UK - Joanna Yeates, Clifton, Bristol, 17 December 2010 - #3

And it's on to Round # 3, the unfortunate death of Joanna Yeates, her body found on Longwood Lane on 25 December.

REMEMEBER, disagree, but don't bicker for the sake of it; attack the post if need be, but never the poster; maintain your sense of politesse; and PLEASE do not re-introduce into the equation things which currently have no bearing on the case, e.g., paedophiles, or the perceived presence of a gay community in Clifton, Bristol - the first of these is by law condemnable; the second in practice may be exemplary. But neither at this time appear to be at issue in this case.

Absolutely terrific discussion and sleuthing so far, and welcome to those new to the case. Excellent links to information from media abound on Threads #1 and #2; familiarizing yourself with the case will enhance your understanding of the discussion on this, its third thread.

MORE LINKS

WebSleuths Terms of Service: The Rules

Thread #1 here

Thread #2 here


NOTE FROM MODS

If you see a post that violates the TOS - you need to report it by hitting the little red triangle in the upper right corner of the post. If you respond to the post, you will be held accountable as having broken the TOS.

Read the rules and know them. This is a moderated forum and we don't do ugly here.

Salem

Last edited by Salem; 01-08-2011 at 05:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:31 PM
mikeymot's Avatar
mikeymot mikeymot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wales, U.K.
Posts: 281
Totally agree with your entire post.
__________________
"There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:36 PM
whitedove's Avatar
whitedove whitedove is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wales UK.
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
And it's on to Round # 3, the unfortunate death of Joanna Yeates, her body found on Longwood Lane on 25 December.

REMEMEBER, disagree, but don't bicker for the sake of it; attack the post if need be, but never the poster; maintain your sense of politesse; and PLEASE do not re-introduce into the equation things which currently have no bearing on the case, e.g., paedophiles, or the perceived presence of a gay community in Clifton, Bristol - the first of these is by law condemnable; the second in practice may be exemplary. But neither at this time appear to be at issue in this case.

Absolutely terrific discussion and sleuthing so far, and welcome to those new to the case. Excellent links to information from media abound on Threads #1 and #2; familiarizing yourself with the case will enhance your understanding of the discussion on this, its third thread.

MORE LINKS

WebSleuths Terms of Service: The Rules

Thread #1 here

Thread #2 here
Thanks Wfgodot, lets hope third time lucky and we catch him, been a bit busy today, need to catch up, hope to get back later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitedove For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Not to repeat myself, but you all have made this a terrific thread.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Nausicaa Nausicaa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 192
Several voices were raised towards the end of the last thread to demand that the police should publicly and unequivocally state their conviction of GR's total innocence. Call me a cynic if you wish, but if I were GR and innocent (as I think he is) I'd being asking them to do no such thing. I'd be too fraid that the announcement might have the opposite effect on public opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nausicaa For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
whitedove's Avatar
whitedove whitedove is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wales UK.
Posts: 143
Jo joined a Rowing Club, I don't think Greg was member, anyone know if this could be the one, lots of photo's of people.

http://www.bristolrowing.co.uk/gallery.php
  #7  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 PM
mikeymot's Avatar
mikeymot mikeymot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wales, U.K.
Posts: 281
Teibreid last post:

I cannot agree that that where the body was found is on the route from Clifton to Sheffield. In fact that route involves a lot of extra miles compared to picking up the M32 just north of the city centre.
The police must have strong evidence from enforcement cameras, cctv, whatever, that he drove to Sheffield at the time he said he did. Otherwise he would have been arrested. And surely they carried out a full forensic examination of the car he drove to Sheffield in- has that ever been mentioned, though?
So far his alibi is holding up. But I don't exclude the possibility that he got to Sheffield, then immediately drove back in another car to sort things out with Jo, and found a situation he couldn't handle.

Sorry...lost this post when they decided to AGAIN change the thread address. I did a route map from Bristol to Sheffield and if taking the SECOND bridge crossing and passing through Longwood Lane...and out at Gordano Services...would probably add 20mins to his journey...which could easily be 'consumed' by bad weather road conditions.
__________________
"There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:48 PM
naturally suspicious naturally suspicious is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 139
i rather agree with the professor quoted in today's bristol evening post....to me cj displays the necessary traits for this murder....an overwhelming feeling of his guilt....just a personal response to his portrayal of himself compared with version he wd like society to believe....

anyone agree.....

think all the other things eg tesco, times, cider all extra items...


but....how was the body taken out....
The Following User Says Thank You to naturally suspicious For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:50 PM
mikeymot's Avatar
mikeymot mikeymot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wales, U.K.
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Several voices were raised towards the end of the last thread to demand that the police should publicly and unequivocally state their conviction of GR's total innocence. Call me a cynic if you wish, but if I were GR and innocent (as I think he is) I'd being asking them to do no such thing. I'd be too fraid that the announcement might have the opposite effect on public opinion.
On the other hand...their statement that G/R was only a witness has raised, maybe unfair, suspicions about his guilt.
__________________
"There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"
  #10  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
MMENJBRIT MMENJBRIT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 132
Re: wfgodot
Not to repeat myself, but you all have made this a terrific thread.

You too Godot... I am really enjoying the level of investigative sleuthing. I am heartbroken that this lovely young lady met such an awful death. This is pure evil in our society. I hope this perp is caught soon. By the way I think the cops are doing a great job.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MMENJBRIT For This Useful Post:
  #11  
Old 01-08-2011, 02:59 PM
MMENJBRIT MMENJBRIT is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 132
Re: Naturally Susp.

i rather agree with the professor quoted in today's bristol evening post....to me cj displays the necessary traits for this murder....an overwhelming feeling of his guilt....just a personal response to his portrayal of himself compared with version he wd like society to believe....

anyone agree.....

think all the other things eg tesco, times, cider all extra items...


but....how was the body taken out....

We're on the same page Naturally Susp .... the cider is a non issue for me,( watch it will be the critical link!!)
It strikes me that he feels he is above the law... it is ALL about him and his being high above the 'rabble', that he can tell L/E where it's at, and can sue them taboot.
The Following User Says Thank You to MMENJBRIT For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:09 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Here's the link again from the Daily Express article posted on Thread #2, for either those just coming upon the case, or those who missed it last time - it is, I think, quite informative in terms of how a murder case like Jo's is investigated; written by "one of our top retired detectives," it gives a sense of what law enforcement is up against in terms of specific evidence in this case:

JOANNA YEATES: THE CRUCIAL QUESTIONS

By the way, I do want to invite those reading as guests - I saw that there were 17 looking on a short time ago - to join WebSleuths. We do value input, and yours would be greatly appreciated!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:33 PM
mikeymot's Avatar
mikeymot mikeymot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wales, U.K.
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMENJBRIT View Post
Re: Naturally Susp.

i rather agree with the professor quoted in today's bristol evening post....to me cj displays the necessary traits for this murder....an overwhelming feeling of his guilt....just a personal response to his portrayal of himself compared with version he wd like society to believe....

anyone agree.....

think all the other things eg tesco, times, cider all extra items...


but....how was the body taken out....

We're on the same page Naturally Susp .... the cider is a non issue for me,( watch it will be the critical link!!)
It strikes me that he feels he is above the law... it is ALL about him and his being high above the 'rabble', that he can tell L/E where it's at, and can sue them taboot.
Yeah, agree that CJ feels he is above the 'rabble'...but then..he is. This is a very intelligent, well educated individual. Okay...weird hair (but, in the 60s' weren't we all?)
bit nosey...but part of the Neighbourhood Watch (and believe me,, they are very nosey).
I do, however, think this man knows a little more...not necessarily because he was part of any crime...but more that he knows his neighbours a liitle more than us or the police. He, like many educated, retired professors, is solitary...but that does NOT make him a murderer...it just makes him...(a little like me) not want to mix with most of his neighbours/contemporaries. This is not strange behaviour...in my mind...it is very, very normal. Why mix with anyone you do not wish to?..nor those you share no empathy with?
__________________
"There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Phillb's Avatar
Phillb Phillb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
Here's the link again from the Daily Express article posted on Thread #2, for either those just coming upon the case, or those who missed it last time - it is, I think, quite informative in terms of how a murder case like Jo's is investigated; written by "one of our top retired detectives," it gives a sense of what law enforcement is up against in terms of specific evidence in this case:

JOANNA YEATES: THE CRUCIAL QUESTIONS

By the way, I do want to invite those reading as guests - I saw that there were 17 looking on a short time ago - to join WebSleuths. We do value input, and yours would be greatly appreciated!
Hi.

I'm was one of those guests lurking for a few days. I must say this is a very puzzling and absorbing case. I have a few things that i can't get to grips with. Like why is there no mention of the Quarry at all? We know the body was left on the grass verge outside the quarry entrance. But when did the quarry close for Christmas. Was there no security, nightwatchmen on such a big site? Someone must have opened the gate only feet away from the body if it was left there weekend 17th. Snow cover or not, I think you would notice a body there.

Also are the Police only considering the Clifton suspension bridge as the only route taken? Just because it's the quickest way, It doesn't mean it's the only way to Longwood Lane. Someone having just commited a murder doesn't act rationally. Some can think better under pressure than others I guess. But in all honesty anyone living in Bristol would know the Clifton suspension bridge is a notorious suicide spot. You have to stop the car infront of C.C.T.V to pay the toll. Even someone in a mass panic would give that route a very wide berth. We've all seen Crimewatch and the news, everyone is wise to C.C.T.V catching criminals these days.

If the police are only counting on that route and discounting others. I think there making a big mistake myself. They want to look at the next bridge down, the Avon bridge route in my opinion.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Phillb For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Hello PhillB, and welcome to WebSleuths. Thank you for joining us.
  #16  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Nausicaa Nausicaa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillb View Post
If the police are only counting on that route and discounting others. I think there making a big mistake myself. They want to look at the next bridge down, the Avon bridge route in my opinion.
Welcome Phillb. Good point. How big a detour does the Avon Bridge route involve in terms of time and miles ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nausicaa For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Phillb's Avatar
Phillb Phillb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
Hello PhillB, and welcome to WebSleuths. Thank you for joining us.
Thanks.

And one more thing i forgot..

The missing sock.
We've heard everything it could have been used for, from a ligature to it was taken as a trophy. But how about it was used for a practical reason at the body deposit site? One i've not heard mentioned before. What if the sock was used as a glove in a panic situation. Wear it like a glove to avoid fingerprints. Or wipe your hands with, wouldn't there be dirt on your hands after placing the body of the wet ground/snow. Surely some attempt at covering the body with leaves or snow was made?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Phillb For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:48 PM
mikeymot's Avatar
mikeymot mikeymot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wales, U.K.
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillb View Post
Hi.

I'm was one of those guests lurking for a few days. I must say this is a very puzzling and absorbing case. I have a few things that i can't get to grips with. Like why is there no mention of the Quarry at all? We know the body was left on the grass verge outside the quarry entrance. But when did the quarry close for Christmas. Was there no security, nightwatchmen on such a big site? Someone must have opened the gate only feet away from the body if it was left there weekend 17th. Snow cover or not, I think you would notice a body there.

Also are the Police only considering the Clifton suspension bridge as the only route taken? Just because it's the quickest way, It doesn't mean it's the only way to Longwood Lane. Someone having just commited a murder doesn't act rationally. Some can think better under pressure than others I guess. But in all honesty anyone living in Bristol would know the Clifton suspension bridge is a notorious suicide spot. You have to stop the car infront of C.C.T.V to pay the toll. Even someone in a mass panic would give that route a very wide berth. We've all seen Crimewatch and the news, everyone is wise to C.C.T.V catching criminals these days.

If the police are only counting on that route and discounting others. I think there making a big mistake myself. They want to look at the next bridge down, the Avon bridge route in my opinion.
Welcome Phillb....great points..there are two obvious other routes other than the Clifton bridge...but think the police have already discounted this as a route taken by the perp.
__________________
"There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 PM
mikeymot's Avatar
mikeymot mikeymot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wales, U.K.
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymot View Post
Welcome Phillb....great points..there are two obvious other routes other than the Clifton bridge...but think the police have already discounted this as a route taken by the perp.
Hi again, if you google earth the flat and where the body was found...then put in Gordano services...you will see the easy route (exluding Clifton suspension bridge) from the flat to the M5 motorway.
__________________
"There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Slewth Slewth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Several voices were raised towards the end of the last thread to demand that the police should publicly and unequivocally state their conviction of GR's total innocence. Call me a cynic if you wish, but if I were GR and innocent (as I think he is) I'd being asking them to do no such thing. I'd be too fraid that the announcement might have the opposite effect on public opinion.
Do the police ever make such statements? Isn't it a bit like HMRC ( = IRS) advertising the fact that something isn't taxable?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slewth For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Destroyer's Avatar
Destroyer Destroyer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London - UK
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillb View Post
Thanks.

And one more thing i forgot..

The missing sock.
We've heard everything it could have been used for, from a ligature to it was taken as a trophy. But how about it was used for a practical reason at the body deposit site? One i've not heard mentioned before. What if the sock was used as a glove in a panic situation. Wear it like a glove to avoid fingerprints. Or wipe your hands with, wouldn't there be dirt on your hands after placing the body of the wet ground/snow. Surely some attempt at covering the body with leaves or snow was made?
The sock looked rather big & possibly stretchy, is it possible the murderer used the sock as a balaclava ??

__________________
'IMO'


Click for list of Tia Sharp 'Names in Discussion'

Justice for Tia
  #22  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Phillb's Avatar
Phillb Phillb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leeds
Posts: 466


This is the reason why I think anyone just commiting such a serious crime would avoid the suspension bridge like the plague. You can see the toll point with no less than 3 C.C.T.V cameras visible.



I've marked the Clifton suspension bridge route to the Quarry in blue. The alternative Avon bridge route in orange, which is also the route most people in Bristol would be familiar with and know i should imagine. It certainly leads more to the centre of Bristol by the looks of things.

All has gone quiet on the C.C.T.V front, and they've have had 14 days to go through it now.

Last edited by Phillb; 01-08-2011 at 04:33 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Phillb For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM
mikeymot's Avatar
mikeymot mikeymot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wales, U.K.
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
The sock looked rather big & possibly stretchy, is it possible the murderer used the sock as a balaclava ??

No way if it was my sock...they would have passed out and been caught immediately!
__________________
"There are some that should be behind bars....and some that shouldn't"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeymot For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Slewth Slewth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillb View Post
Hi.

I'm was one of those guests lurking for a few days. I must say this is a very puzzling and absorbing case. I have a few things that i can't get to grips with. Like why is there no mention of the Quarry at all? We know the body was left on the grass verge outside the quarry entrance. But when did the quarry close for Christmas. Was there no security, nightwatchmen on such a big site? Someone must have opened the gate only feet away from the body if it was left there weekend 17th. Snow cover or not, I think you would notice a body there.

Also are the Police only considering the Clifton suspension bridge as the only route taken? Just because it's the quickest way, It doesn't mean it's the only way to Longwood Lane. Someone having just commited a murder doesn't act rationally. Some can think better under pressure than others I guess. But in all honesty anyone living in Bristol would know the Clifton suspension bridge is a notorious suicide spot. You have to stop the car infront of C.C.T.V to pay the toll. Even someone in a mass panic would give that route a very wide berth. We've all seen Crimewatch and the news, everyone is wise to C.C.T.V catching criminals these days.

If the police are only counting on that route and discounting others. I think there making a big mistake myself. They want to look at the next bridge down, the Avon bridge route in my opinion.
The quarry may have packed up early for Xmas in view of the bad weather - I imagine snow interferes with the quarrying process.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slewth For This Useful Post:
  #25  
Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Total CCTV cameras on the Clifton Suspension Bridge:

Quote:
Police were today examining footage from Clifton Suspension Bridge's 32 CCTV cameras to trace the final journey of Miss Yeates who was found dead on Christmas Day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-killer.html
That certainly would convince me to consider an alternate route, based on the circumstances.
The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK - Joanna Yeates, Clifton, Bristol, 17 December 2010 - #2 wfgodot Currently Awaiting Trial 508 01-08-2011 02:26 PM
UK - Architect: Jo Yeates, 27, Clifton, Bristol, 17 Dec 2010 - #1 wfgodot Currently Awaiting Trial 541 01-04-2011 09:38 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!