Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 PM

Girl Killed by Japanese Akita

Sadly enough, I come across stories about dogs killing children with some amount of regularity, but I have never known the aggressor canine to be an Akita.

My prayers for the family:

http://www.ajc.com/news/girl-killed-...xtype=rss_news
Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM

How sad
My friend had an Akita and she bite my son.
I never trusted that dog
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Lisa~ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Akita's IMO are more dangerous than a pit bull. IMO I'm 46 years old and have known only four in my entire life. All four were involved in separate and unprovoked attacks & caused massive and severe damage to children.

Comparatively, I've known many pits...all terrific dogs, none ever had a single instance of aggressive behavior.

Myself, I've always owned German shepards and dobermans, so I'm not a sissy when it comes to dogs...imo

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Linda7NJ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM

We just bought a house and our home owners insurance policy lists Akitas as a dog they will not cover for.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wildTrose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 PM

This is so sad. Those poor parents. Imagine the guilt??? My 10 yr old DD walks our dog (I usually hang out on the front porch and watch her and her brother walk him up and down the block). I cannot imagine how devastated I would feel.

Do we know how long the family had had this dog? Was it a relatively new pet or one they had had for a numer of years?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 PM

My 10 year old walks our enormous Great Pyrenees regularly, but he (dog and boy) is gentle as a lamb.

This story jarred me! Thanks to those of you who have school me a bit more about Akitas. I had no idea.

TL, I don't know anymore about the story's details, but will post any links I run across.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
My 10 year old walks our enormous Great Pyrenees regularly, but he (dog and boy) is gentle as a lamb.

This story jarred me! Thanks to those of you who have school me a bit more about Akitas. I had no idea.

TL, I don't know anymore about the story's details, but will post any links I run across.
TY, like yours our "baby" is a two year old great pyrenees, and DD likes to walk him. He is gentle as a lamb, and is not a big "runner" so I never thought anything of her walking him with him as described above. The story hit me exactly the same way for the same reasons.

Last edited by tlcya; 01-25-2011 at 10:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Seek Brotherhood, Cherish Solitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
This is so sad. Those poor parents. Imagine the guilt??? My 10 yr old DD walks our dog (I usually hang out on the front porch and watch her and her brother walk him up and down the block). I cannot imagine how devastated I would feel.

Do we know how long the family had had this dog? Was it a relatively new pet or one they had had for a numer of years?
My daughter is a 5th grader at the same school this little girl attended for 4th grade. It is a small school and everyone generally knows everyone, at least in passing. From what I understand, the Grandfather had purchased the dog for the grandchildren 3 weeks before this tragedy. The little girl was at her Grandfather's and he was inside helping her younger brother with homework. She had walked the dog earlier in the day, and she had taken him for another walk and was putting the dog back in it's pen when she was attacked. He bit her throat several times from what I understand. I researched Akita's yesterday, and found a site that discussed how protective Akita's can be. If raised with children, they will consider the family children to be in need of protection, and may be dangerous to friends of the children that visit. They are highly territorial, and make excellent guard dogs because of their dominant protective nature. They also may appear to be very "indifferent" and even "aloof" in their attitude, but this is often really an attitude of "alpha male" and "disdain" for those in their surroundings. From what I learned, an Akita would be a great dog for a single guy, or couple, but maybe not so much for a home with children. I am sure this Grandfather did not know this information, and I can't imagine the pain and agony the entire family is going thru tonight. My heart breaks for the family, and for our school. I found this site about Akita's, and this statement seems to sum it up:

"The Akita should never be left alone with a child even if you are certain you have a dog that adores all children. A large dog can accidentally injure a child. Often, Akitas raised with children will tolerate their own children but may not accept the neighborhood kids. As a general rule it is wise not to leave an Akita or any large dog alone with children under 12 years of age."

Lot of other information here about Akita's. They are beautiful, noble animals, but probably would not be a good fit for my family.

http://www.akitarescue.com/Facts%20about%20Akitas.htm

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Seek Brotherhood, Cherish Solitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post

Southcitymom, I looked up information related to your dog too.... the Great Pyrenees sounds like it can also be a very "loyal, yet aggressive" dog, but it doesn't sound like he is as unpredictable as an Akita. From the linked site below:

"The AKC Standard describes the Great Pyrenees as "strong willed, independent, and somewhat reserved, yet attentive, fearless, and loyal to his charges -- both human and animal." ..... "The Great Pyrenees is patient with his own family's children, but some are overprotective when neighbors join in for rough-and-tumble play. Likewise, he may be protective of his own family's pets while aggressively driving off others."

From what I read, the Great Pyrenees is much more predictable and sociable than the Akita, but may also be very protective, so maybe it is wise to watch the dog around visiting children??? I love all dogs, and completely understand this "dominant" personality trait. My family has a beagle who is hysterically funny in her attempts to 'dominate us'. People who don't have pets may not understand any of this conversation. Dogs can have SO much personality, and really do become a part of the family. I think that is why an aggressive dog has to be a part of the family early on.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/rev...tpyrenees.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reannan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 PM

tyvm Reannan

Yeah, the literature is right about my Bear. He is very protective of his family and his "pet" cats, lol. I am always cautious and present to supervise whenever we have guests but particularly children. I have noticed him lately getting protective even when my own are tussling around or rough housing.

He doesn't intervene but he barks, growls, whines and then comes to find me, as if to say "you need to handle this, someones gonna get hurt here." I have had to talk to the kids and explain that they are worrying him when they play too loud and rowdy in this house, he can't figure out what all the screaming means and thinks one of his kids is getting hurt.

So, for that reason, I always keep an extra "eyes on" tact when other children etc are over.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reannan View Post
Southcitymom, I looked up information related to your dog too.... the Great Pyrenees sounds like it can also be a very "loyal, yet aggressive" dog, but it doesn't sound like he is as unpredictable as an Akita. From the linked site below:

"The AKC Standard describes the Great Pyrenees as "strong willed, independent, and somewhat reserved, yet attentive, fearless, and loyal to his charges -- both human and animal." ..... "The Great Pyrenees is patient with his own family's children, but some are overprotective when neighbors join in for rough-and-tumble play. Likewise, he may be protective of his own family's pets while aggressively driving off others."

From what I read, the Great Pyrenees is much more predictable and sociable than the Akita, but may also be very protective, so maybe it is wise to watch the dog around visiting children??? I love all dogs, and completely understand this "dominant" personality trait. My family has a beagle who is hysterically funny in her attempts to 'dominate us'. People who don't have pets may not understand any of this conversation. Dogs can have SO much personality, and really do become a part of the family. I think that is why an aggressive dog has to be a part of the family early on.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/rev...tpyrenees.html
Thanks, Reannan! Our GP is a rescue who was brought to the pound and no one knows his backstory. He was skinny and about 1.5 years when we got him a few months ago. Thus far, he has a wonderful disposition with all children and animals (not just our own), but he is protective and independent, for sure. Luckily, he is also crazy mellow. I would not leave him alone around a small or strange child, but my 10-year-old is adult-sized and great with animals, and I am comfortable with him walking the dog.

This story is so sad - thanks for filling in some of the blanks. My prayers for this family.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,6542251.story
9-year-old Girl Killed by Grandfather's Dog

Quote:
KLD's grandfather says the fourth-grader was playing well with the family's 98-pound Japanese Akita when he left them alone in the backyard.

About 15 minutes later, he told his grandson to tell K it was time for her to come in.

The grandson came back in and told the grandfather K was lying on the ground, said Jackie Crawford-Rivers of the county sheriff's department.
+

Quote:
"She played with him everyday. She walked him on the weekends. He was never aggressive toward her or nothing. I don't know what made him do it."

The dog, which the grandfather had owned for about three weeks, was expected to be tested for rabies and then euthanized, said Crawford-Rivers.
My sympathies to the family, but no way would I leave my fourth grader with a dog I had only had for three weeks, no matter what the breed.

A tragedy all the way around.

A few more details here:
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...killed-pet-dog

Last edited by IWannaKnow; 01-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IWannaKnow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM
There is no original thought....

How sad;( I had no idea Akitas were like that! We have a yellow lab puppy, and very happy with our chew monkey
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommy23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM

ANY dog is capable of biting. Pits, Rotties and Dobies get the bad rap most of the time - but even Labs and Goldens have been known to bite.

My Golden is crazy - her nicknames are "CrackDog" and "Demon Beast from He//" - but loveable as all get-out....but I would *never* leave her unsupervised around any children! My almost 13 year old son (adult-sized) just got permission to walk her around our cul-de-sac - but with strict orders to avoid all other animals and even kids.

I feel for this family greatly - but with a little knowledge about dog breeds and more supervision, this tragedy could have been avoided...

Your source for Scentsy, Velata & Grace Adele...PM me for more info!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WestCoastLady For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Pooh just is.

To me? Akitas are much more aggressive than pit bulls. But, it's correct: Any animal can bite/attack.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gibby207 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM
The key to change... is to let go of fear

I saw this article yesterday it is so sad. I was shocked actually to read about this, I owned an Akita for years until he was stolen from me. He was a really good dog and gentle even to other people who would come visit, he went every where with me and never once was agressive.

My prayers are with the family............
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysticrose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 PM

God bless this little girl, her grandfather and her family. I feel so sorry for them.

I feel sorry, too, for the Akita, who should not have ever been left alone with that child.

I have commented previously in threads about other children who have been killed and maimed by dogs. This Grandfather, although well meaning, should have researched child-friendly dog breeds before purchasing the dog for his grandchildren. I have three dogs, two Karelian Bear Dogs and one Border Collie/Shepherd cross. All are non-aggressive, well behaved dogs, but there is NO WAY I would ever leave them alone with a child.

I remember when my male Bear Dog was about 8 months old, finding my 7-year stepdaughter laying on her back on the floor wrestling with the dog who was almost on top of her. I immediately got her up and away from him, then corrected her from behaving in a submissive manner around him and for putting herself in potential harm's way. God forbid if something had happened to her-- my husband and I would never have forgiven ourselves.

We kept watch from then on. Nothing ever happened... but it's better safe than sorry.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Penelope For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM

I had a friend who had several Akitas. When visiting her, she cautioned us against hugging her hello or goodbye, as the dog would think we were attacking her. She also said that Akitas may let someone INTO the house, but may not let them OUT of the house.

I'm a "dog person," but was always very aware of those warnings when at her home. How terribly said for this family.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 AM

At 98 lbs this was obviously already an adult dog, or close to being an adult, when the grandfather brought it home. I wonder about the history of the dog, such as had it bitten anyone before? Sounds like an Akita can be dangerous around children even when raised from a pup, so I would think an adult dog in new surroundings and with a new family could be even more so. I feel badly that a child lost her life and can only imagine the grief her family must feel. So sad!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melly53 For This Useful Post: