Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post
harrison, was the SO registry of any use? What were your conclusions regarding potentials in the area?
yeah thanks for the list, still working on it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harrison For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Fairly new here too, but have read every thread I hope so as to not waste anyone's time. Motive seems to be implied here...LS meets new boy (CR) couple week ago, now LS is hanging out with CR and friends, (JR & MB), none of which are in the same circle of friends as boyfriend. LS goes not, can't be contacted, is sooo intoxicated forgets shoes and phones and is with this new fiend from 12:30 AM to 2:51, often alone and in back alleys. I agree with bessie that in todays 'texting' world, informaiton is much more real time....that fact that JW friends are 'waiting' at Smallwood and altercation, someone knew or strongly suspected there was something going on, as stated, "inappropriate attention" on the elevator. LS was likely allowing this attention by bringing CR into Smallwood. JMO!

Who were the friends? Why were they at Smallwood? Who let them in? Where there any other witnesses?

The one wildcard in this '2 sided' motive, is that roomate HT was friends with CR's friends (introduced LS & CR at Indy 500) and was at JR's prior to LS leaving for bar, but yet seems to be friends (gave keys to) with JW and defends him and his relationship with LS?

Very possible with the heart condition, alcohol and other activities, there may have been an accident, and someone (maybe driving white truck) to come and help dispose.

Eitherway, it's apparent that LE and Mom are on the right track trying to get the friends and other to talk, cause some knows more than they are leading on, most likely to protect themslves or someone close.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to LongTallTexan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissdegirl View Post
Hey Btown, the Lofts at 11th and College, #27. Do they have any camera's?

On google maps I see 2 buildings behind the waffle house that have a view of the corner of 10th and College from the back. Do they have any camera's back there?
The Lofts do not have any security cameras outside that I can find. I've looked.

The building behind the Waffle House is a Massage Parlor called Spaah! on the ground floor, and apartments on the upper level. I got my wife a massage there not too long ago. They don't have any security cameras that can see the sidewalk, the road, or out back unfortunately.

Right beside the massage parlor, is Square Donuts. They do have cameras, but also only show interior images. Nothing on the sidewalk or street.

Forgot to add that a couple days ago the City Police went door to door to all the businesses on the road the massage parlor is on , (Walnut St.), asking for video. I'll never understand what took them almost 2 weeks to do that. At anyrate, word is there was nothing noteworthy on those cameras from that night.

Last edited by Btown; 06-17-2011 at 04:12 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Btown For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissdegirl View Post
Ya really. And if someone were to try to hide evidence I doubt they would do it in a public place at Smallwood. But, glad to see the security not overlooking things.
According to HT, police just cordoned off LS's room on Monday, June 13, to preserve possible evidence:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...cops-her-story
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to epiphany For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 03:59 PM

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read someplace that JR and JW were frat brothers? Is this true? In that case, JR and JW likely knew each other and may have been friends.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to illinialum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
According to HT, police just cordoned off LS's room on Monday, June 13, to preserve possible evidence:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...cops-her-story
Boy, that took a while if true...
Not impressed...
Old 06-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Mr & Mrs Spierer's agony is so apparent! Doggonit I wish I could do more to help....

It's just not fair what these parents are going thru

WM

Numbers,32:23
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaNJsc View Post
Evidence taken this morning was apparently a bag of men and women's clothing found behind a trash bin ....

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28273283/detail.html

"A security officer discovered the bag of men's and women's clothes behind an indoor trash bin on the sixth floor of the Smallwood Apartments early Friday, police told 6News' Stacia Matthews.

Investigators were looking at surveillance video Friday afternoon to determine who left the bag."
I bet it's not connected to this case at all.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinialum View Post
I may be mistaken, but I thought I read someplace that JR and JW were frat brothers? Is this true? In that case, JR and JW likely knew each other and may have been friends.
According to the roommate, Lauren herself knew JR for some time and roommate and Lauren hang out in JR's apartment a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM

I work in the heart of the government district for a fairly large city. While both walking around at lunch today, and driving home from work yesterday, I passed a few City service trucks and a utility truck for the utility company that services the greater metropolitan area.

I noticed that several of these City service/utility trucks were white Chevy Colorados! The City trucks had no writing on the side, but rather the City's logo on the back, a City license plate and a "How Am I Driving?" sticker on the back. The utility truck had its logo and its company name on the side.

I just thought this was interesting that this particular car and color seems to be a favored service truck.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to illinialum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:19 PM

What do supposed the parents of these POI's are telling them? Are they seeing Lauren's parents pleas? I would like to think they are insisting on their children telling the truth, no matter what, but I fear that might be naive on my part...there is so much of an element of self-preservation in our society, it seems.

Clearly Mrs. Spierer thinks they are holding back. She could be wrong, of course, and just needs a place to direct her frustrations and pain. I hope they find this darned truck today and rule that in or out...this must be beyond horrifying for this family.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered Fence Sitter

IMO, if you look at it in a filtered sort of way, you see that there was a "flow" of anger and some violence from one group of people, towards another group of people that night. I think it might even be possible to reduce that to a flow of anger from one specific person to another. It's very possible that this is a key to solving this case.

However, when you remove all "filters", you are left with a very confusing situation that night (courtesy of alcohol and possibly drugs). That, might be possibly the reason LE is doing what the are doing. While they might have a strong feeling about what occurred, and maybe even who was responsible, they may be quite concerned about getting blindsided by something. There very easily could have been an "outside" opportunist that inserted themselves into the drama of that night.

I feel real bad for the parents. I have a son who is going into college this fall. I just can't even imagine
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Barry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinialum View Post
I work in the heart of the government district for a fairly large city. While both walking around at lunch today, and driving home from work yesterday, I passed a few City service trucks and a utility truck for the utility company that services the greater metropolitan area.

I noticed that several of these City service/utility trucks were white Chevy Colorados! The City trucks had no writing on the side, but rather the City's logo on the back, a City license plate and a "How Am I Driving?" sticker on the back. The utility truck had its logo and its company name on the side.

I just thought this was interesting that this particular car and color seems to be a favored service truck.
My neighboring city uses the same trucks for community landscaping. I don't remember where, but someone (perhaps on one of the fb groups dedicated to finding LS) said that the side could have the Bloomington logo on the side. Personally I don't agree, since the Bloomington logo is like a snowflake/flower design and the "writing" appears long and wavy on the surveillance photos. Also, I'd think that the city knew where their own service trucks were at all times.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM

Poor Lauren may be on her way to becoming a poster girl of what can happen when booze enters the mix in college socializing...add in drama from high emotions and hormones, anything can happen.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Great point, are JR and JW frat brothers and do they know each other. We assume so much becuase we take the MSM reports verbatum, however there is always so much more between the lines. As Barry stated, the flow of anger or potential thereof between the 2 groups was prevelent and the best motive we have at this point.

Truck, while may or may not be involved, if it was involved, it may or may not be unrelated to the POI's involved in LS's evening of activities.

There is so much more to this story.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongTallTexan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Regarding the white Chevy 4x4 truck, I really do hope he took her because then there's more of a chance he's keeping her alive somewhere. However, do any of you think he's an independent contractor who:
A. Drives around early and picks up his quota of illegal immigrants who he uses as dirt cheap labor for the day's job. This happens some miles from where I live.
B. Is a guy who drives around to construction sites in the dark wee hours of the morning to steal anything he can lift into the truck bed for free (still a criminal, but not a murderer or abuser).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MuuMuu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuuMuu View Post
Regarding the white Chevy 4x4 truck, I really do hope he took her because then there's more of a chance he's keeping her alive somewhere. However, do any of you think he's an independent contractor who:
A. Drives around early and picks up his quota of illegal immigrants who he uses as dirt cheap labor for the day's job. This happens some miles from where I live.
B. Is a guy who drives around to construction sites in the dark wee hours of the morning to steal anything he can lift into the truck bed for free (still a criminal, but not a murderer or abuser).
I hope the truck can lead to a big break, but your point is a good one. I'll add that when college students leave for the summer, they throw a sickening amount of perfectly good stuff away (think TVs, furniture, appliances, clothes, etc). This guy could just be a scavenger. Again, I hope that's not the case.

For the one who continues, failure becomes impossible.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Glaucon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 05:00 PM

Where were the keys found? I saw one map that showed them as an "X" on a rail along College, but another map showed them on a handrail on the N side of the College Apts W of the infamous N-S alley way. Any speculation on how or why from the POI's or interviews as to why she lost her keys, too. Would she head home, or would JR allow her to leave if she was aware she lost her keys? If she had them when she left and they were found on a rail over by College Apts by Morton, than that creates another potential route.

Anything more on the keys scenario?

Sad to say, but forget your phone...OK, forget you shoes, phone and lose you keys all in a couple of hours....this poor girl was really messed up that night.
The Following User Says Thank You to LongTallTexan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 05:04 PM

Since she apparently lost her keys on her way to CR's apartment then the only POI who would know why she lost her keys presumably would be CR-and he claims memory loss so he wouldn't remember anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown View Post
Thank you very much.

However, if, as the article says, she left Smallwood, (9th St.), and walked 2 blocks North before ducking into the alley, that would be 11th Street. She would never have showed up on the alley video at 10th.

So, how can that be accurate?
Smallwood is between 8 and 9. So looks more like a block and a half before turning into alley on 10th. And why turn into alley?
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyGatto For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Where is Kyron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessie View Post
Where were the keys found? I saw one map that showed them as an "X" on a rail along College, but another map showed them on a handrail on the N side of the College Apts W of the infamous N-S alley way.
<snip by me>
Sad to say, but forget your phone...OK, forget you shoes, phone and lose you keys all in a couple of hours....this poor girl was really messed up that night.
Okay, I think I am starting to put my own puzzle together, so if other can help set me straight that would be great.

Here is my *THEORY*, I think the keys were not on the rail originally. I think they were found, then put on the rail as if "hey, when they realize they lost their keys they will be right here."
I don't think they were left on the rail, I think they were found in the street. I've read reports on this (I can't find each article, I have been here all day, but the Indiana Daily Student has been my main source for hours now).

I think it was stated that the bar has a sand pit, like a beach type area, where you can take your shoes off and stick your feet in the sand. Hence, why her shoes were off.

I lose my phone daily, but that's because I am not a phone talky-talky person.

I do agree though, by the looks of reports and commenter's... she wasn't in a good state of mind that night. That's unfortunate.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Yes, she took them off because there was sand, but she never got them back on and was walking around barefoot. In one evening she lost her shoes, her cell phone, her purse and her keys. By the way what happened to her jacket, the one she was carrying in the photo? Did she still have that with her, or did she lose that as well? It's not included in the updated description of the clothes she was wearing when she went missing, is it?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 05:37 PM

TG says witness is not a student, but is the age-range of the guy with the girl?

http://twitter.com/#!/gattotony
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epiphany For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
TG says witness is not a student, but is the age-range of the guy with the girl?

http://twitter.com/#!/gattotony
It sounds to me like since the witness came forward right away and told LE, LE doesn't believe it. They're not looking for this guy. They're looking for a white truck, and other stuff.

It seems the witness could fully believe they saw Lauren, but didn't.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Where is Kyron?

I REALLY hope this Tony Gatto is of creditable character and really has this information he says he has (why MSM hasn't reported it is beyond me. Seems a sketch should of come out DAYS ago.)

I hope that this is for finding Lauren, and what happened to her, rather than drawing in hits/credit for himself. That would be unethical, so I am really throwing my hat in to the "humanity" aspect of his posts. Hope he is being truthful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
It sounds to me like since the witness came forward right away and told LE, LE doesn't believe it. They're not looking for this guy. They're looking for a white truck, and other stuff.

It seems the witness could fully believe they saw Lauren, but didn't.
I understand what you are saying, but I think having a two pronged, maybe even three or four pronged approach at this point wouldn't be a bad thing. Lauren has been missing 2-weeks now.
I dunno, maybe there is LE reason for it.