Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Caylee Anthony 2 years old

Notices

Caylee Anthony 2 years old Not reported missing for a month after she was last seen.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #601  
Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM
zippitydoda's Avatar
zippitydoda zippitydoda is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossva View Post
BBM IIRC The sale of the pictures and videos to ABC for $200,000 happened in August, 2008. Casey Anthony was not indicted for muder until October, 2008. At that time, Baez was only representing her for charges of child neglect, lying to investigators and interfering with a criminal investigation.
hmmmmm... Baez needed two hundred thousand plus to defend OCA against bad check charges and lying to LE?

Hate to see what JB charges for a speeding ticket.
__________________
Judgment is not about destruction, but about setting things right.

Last edited by zippitydoda; 02-29-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to zippitydoda For This Useful Post:
  #602  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
logicalgirl's Avatar
logicalgirl logicalgirl is offline
Peace Hawk
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippitydoda View Post
hmmmmm... Baez needed two hundred thousand plus to defend OCA against bad check charges and lying to LE?

Hate to see what JB charges for a speeding ticket.
Well the weird thing is that's what she was convicted on so clearly paying him isn't the way to go....
__________________
When there is Justice - there is Peace.
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to logicalgirl For This Useful Post:
  #603  
Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
TotallyObsessed's Avatar
TotallyObsessed TotallyObsessed is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,108
Well, what we HAVE NEVER SEEN, and what we WILL NEVER SEE is JB's time records accounting for exactly how (and when) he racked up the billable hours for that money he received as a result of that blood money brokered sale. If he did not (which I strongly believe) keep any time records, and had a flat fee, he had to at least show an accounting to Judge Perry at the hearing they had on this. IIRC, he stated then that he did not have those records, but would provide Judge with them later. Did he? We will never know. We should though. Or at least, the Citizens of the State of Florida should know, as they ultimately ended up footing the bill for the circus.

Of the $200k - JB got what, approximately $80,000. Where oh where did Ms. Anthony hide the rest? Or did JB eventually bill out the remaining $120k leaving his poor client, indeed, indigent?

IOW, what was the timing on eating up $200k and being declared indigent? Eating up $200K before or after being charged with capital murder?
Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TotallyObsessed For This Useful Post:
  #604  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:20 PM
miss plum miss plum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 932
I think he probably kept records of all those hours she spent at his office, feeding him brownies and avoiding her parents, and then billed her for them.
Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to miss plum For This Useful Post:
  #605  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
Intermezzo's Avatar
Intermezzo Intermezzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bytown
Posts: 9,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyObsessed View Post
Well, what we HAVE NEVER SEEN, and what we WILL NEVER SEE is JB's time records accounting for exactly how (and when) he racked up the billable hours for that money he received as a result of that blood money brokered sale. If he did not (which I strongly believe) keep any time records, and had a flat fee, he had to at least show an accounting to Judge Perry at the hearing they had on this. IIRC, he stated then that he did not have those records, but would provide Judge with them later. Did he? We will never know. We should though. Or at least, the Citizens of the State of Florida should know, as they ultimately ended up footing the bill for the circus.

Of the $200k - JB got what, approximately $80,000. Where oh where did Ms. Anthony hide the rest? Or did JB eventually bill out the remaining $120k leaving his poor client, indeed, indigent?

IOW, what was the timing on eating up $200k and being declared indigent? Eating up $200K before or after being charged with capital murder?
BBM

It was more than $200K

Money Received
ABC $200,000
Todd Macaluso $70,000
Anonymous $5,000 ( IMO it could be the money River C "gave" to George)
IIRC Andrea Lyons also donated $50,000 from her DePaul law center/legal aid clinic or something like that..
TOTAL Received $330,000

Baez received payment of $89,000
Andrea Lyons received payment of,iirc, $22,500
TOTAL Paid (that we know of) $111,500

Leftover was $221,500K to pay for Casey's Defense..and was, I assume, used up by March 2010 when she was declared Indigent when myself and other Floridians began to pay for her expenses...

I remember Baez said the rest was used for Casey's defense...
LKB never received money, she said in an interview she probably would not be paid her retainer fee..

Looks like Baez went thru a TOTAL of $330,000 between Aug/Sept 2008 to March 2010
__________________
----------------------------------------------------



--------------------------------------------------
"There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"

Last edited by Intermezzo; 02-29-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Intermezzo For This Useful Post:
  #606  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
TotallyObsessed's Avatar
TotallyObsessed TotallyObsessed is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,108
I guess my point on the dates of what portion of blood money went for what charges? is that, to me, there is a HUGE conflict of interest when your attorney - if he knew the "truth" from Casey pretty early on, was out making deals with you sitting in a prison cell, all the time planning on using the State of Florida's money to defend you while pocketing blood money SHOULD be a charge that could and SHOULD have been looked into by the Bar. Not just the discovery violations, which were pretty serious in this case. They were not just your every day run of the mill "late filed interrogatory or request for production" violations.
Ah well, not worth getting worked up over, because the Florida Bar Association seems to be falling all over themselves trying to get into JB's good graces. He's such an ass-et, you know?
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Horace Finklestein Horace Finklestein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermezzo View Post
BBM

It was more than $200K

Money Received
ABC $200,000
Todd Macaluso $70,000
Anonymous $5,000 ( IMO it could be the money River C "gave" to George)
IIRC Andrea Lyons also donated $50,000 from her DePaul law center/legal aid clinic or something like that..
TOTAL Received $330,000

Baez received payment of $89,000
Andrea Lyons received payment of,iirc, $22,500
TOTAL Paid (that we know of) $111,500

Leftover was $221,500K to pay for Casey's Defense..and was, I assume, used up by March 2010 when she was declared Indigent when myself and other Floridians began to pay for her expenses...

I remember Baez said the rest was used for Casey's defense...
LKB never received money, she said in an interview she probably would not be paid her retainer fee..

Looks like Baez went thru a TOTAL of $330,000 between Aug/Sept 2008 to March 2010
Oh yes I forgot about Ms. Lyon's claims that some 22k went to "computers" and "research"...
__________________
Justice for GEORGE!
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Horace Finklestein For This Useful Post:
  #608  
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM
ZsaZsa ZsaZsa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein View Post
Oh yes I forgot about Ms. Lyon's claims that some 22k went to "computers" and "research"...
Research covers trying to find someone else to blame.
As far as I remember Baez never did pay their D Casey for his attempts to dig up dirt on some hapless person...
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ZsaZsa For This Useful Post:
  #609  
Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 PM
LambChop's Avatar
LambChop LambChop is offline
WS Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT/NC
Posts: 17,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein View Post
Oh yes I forgot about Ms. Lyon's claims that some 22k went to "computers" and "research"...
Don't forget, too, JB represented her for the fraud case and charged her for that. Bet a good portion of the money went for fees to represent her. JB also said the remainer of the money went to pay for experts but we heard most of them were never paid. My guess is Dr. Spitz got his fee but the rest claim not to have been paid. Even Dr. Lee was complaining he was owed money. He wanted $8,000 from the State even after CM claimed Dr. Lee would probably work for a crate of oranges. lol jmo
__________________
A lie will go round the world before the truth gets its pants on - Charles Spurgeon
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:
  #610  
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Nore's Avatar
Nore Nore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZsaZsa View Post
Research covers trying to find someone else to blame.
As far as I remember Baez never did pay their D Casey for his attempts to dig up dirt on some hapless person...
-------------------
Isnt he one of the reasons Judge Perry allowed him 300.00 a couple times to pay for investigating? Not worded right but I am so tired.LOL
__________________
~Welcome to Lake Erie Snow~
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nore For This Useful Post:
  #611  
Old 03-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Intermezzo's Avatar
Intermezzo Intermezzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bytown
Posts: 9,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nore View Post
-------------------
Isnt he one of the reasons Judge Perry allowed him 300.00 a couple times to pay for investigating? Not worded right but I am so tired.LOL
That was PI Jeremy Lyons

Domenic Casey was a PI early on in the case, he filed Bar complaints against Baez about not being paid and he stated Baez told him if he found Caylee not to call LE.

After he stopped working for Baez in, iirc, October 2008 he was the PI for George and Cindy
__________________
----------------------------------------------------



--------------------------------------------------
"There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Intermezzo For This Useful Post:
  #612  
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Horace Finklestein Horace Finklestein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZsaZsa View Post
Research covers trying to find someone else to blame.
As far as I remember Baez never did pay their D Casey for his attempts to dig up dirt on some hapless person...
Still can't believe Perry let him get away with the "let us search for Caylee - but with no law enforcement following us" and the fact that he was actively trying to frame any TES volunteer that he possibly could. If it was a drowning, why investigate TES people and Roy Kronk?
__________________
Justice for GEORGE!
Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Horace Finklestein For This Useful Post:
  #613  
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
TotallyObsessed's Avatar
TotallyObsessed TotallyObsessed is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein View Post
Still can't believe Perry let him get away with the "let us search for Caylee - but with no law enforcement following us" and the fact that he was actively trying to frame any TES volunteer that he possibly could. If it was a drowning, why investigate TES people and Roy Kronk?
I guess because a judge can’t tell a defense lawyer “pick a card, any card, and stick with it”.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TotallyObsessed For This Useful Post:
  #614  
Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
TotallyObsessed's Avatar
TotallyObsessed TotallyObsessed is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyObsessed View Post
I guess because a judge can’t tell a defense lawyer “pick a card, any card, and stick with it”.
Or...... pick one strand of pasta to see if it sticks to the wall, instead of throwing the entire package.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TotallyObsessed For This Useful Post:
  #615  
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Horace Finklestein Horace Finklestein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyObsessed View Post
I guess because a judge can’t tell a defense lawyer “pick a card, any card, and stick with it”.
But when he is obviously trying to frame an innocent person, the judge needs to put a stop to it. Baez had no problem with ruining an innocent person's life and depriving them of their freedom as long as he benefited from it. He should be in jail, blessings of the Bar notwithstanding.
__________________
Justice for GEORGE!
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Horace Finklestein For This Useful Post:
  #616  
Old 03-01-2012, 01:29 PM
TotallyObsessed's Avatar
TotallyObsessed TotallyObsessed is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein View Post
But when he is obviously trying to frame an innocent person, the judge needs to put a stop to it. Baez had no problem with ruining an innocent person's life and depriving them of their freedom as long as he benefited from it. He should be in jail, blessings of the Bar notwithstanding.
Oh I totally agree. However, judges don't work that way.
Granted there were absolutely no facts whatsoever to support JB’s opening statement. HHJP did instruct the jury to disregard it...but you cannot unring a bell. But legally, that is all that could be done. It stinks. It really does.
I read a fantastic Law Review article the other day....I’ll try to find it and link to it...where a fantastic argument was made for being able to redress acquittals when it was an obvious and egregious error. Which I believe 90%+ believe this verdict to have been. While it was arguing federal law (vs. state) it still made some very good points about double jeopardy and how that law came about and how the meaning as applied by today’s standards is far, far, far from the initial intent of preventing double jeopardy.
I can’t find my exact link, but you can get it off of Lexis (how iornic is that? JB?). It was written by Thomas DiBiagio and it appeared in The Catholic University Law Review. Among other things it states: “A judgment of acquittal obtained in such a manner ... calls into question the legitimacy and integrity of the criminal process and denies the public a fair opportunity to enforce its criminal laws”. DiBiagio maintains that limited judicial review and retrial of, what he calls a faulty judgment of acquittal would not violate the guarantee against double jeopardy because an appeal and retrial in such circumstances would not infringe upon the policies underlying the guarantee. Rather it would merely be affording the government and the public an opportunity to convict the accused in and error-free trial.

It is well worth the read. And for those who start screaming “then the government would never stop - they would keep on going until they got the guilty verdict they were after”....not so. Why is the state or government not afforded the same rights the defendant is? Why was HHJP bending over backwards to make sure there were not appealable errors on behalf of FCA. But - IMHO - there were appealable errors made on behalf of the state. Namely, striking down the juror selection challenge that the state made on THAT juror - due to race when that WAS NOT why they were challenging that juror??? That was an error. There were others.

Sorry this is sooooo long, but I wanted to start a thread the other day on this....it would be a whopper of a debate. But I was busy. And tired. And now that I think of it, I’m sure there would be many MANY timeouts to be had if we did have a thread on this subject!

That’s all.
Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TotallyObsessed For This Useful Post:
  #617  
Old 03-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Horace Finklestein Horace Finklestein is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyObsessed View Post
Oh I totally agree. However, judges don't work that way.
Granted there were absolutely no facts whatsoever to support JB’s opening statement. HHJP did instruct the jury to disregard it...but you cannot unring a bell. But legally, that is all that could be done. It stinks. It really does.
I read a fantastic Law Review article the other day....I’ll try to find it and link to it...where a fantastic argument was made for being able to redress acquittals when it was an obvious and egregious error. Which I believe 90%+ believe this verdict to have been. While it was arguing federal law (vs. state) it still made some very good points about double jeopardy and how that law came about and how the meaning as applied by today’s standards is far, far, far from the initial intent of preventing double jeopardy.
I can’t find my exact link, but you can get it off of Lexis (how iornic is that? JB?). It was written by Thomas DiBiagio and it appeared in The Catholic University Law Review. Among other things it states: “A judgment of acquittal obtained in such a manner ... calls into question the legitimacy and integrity of the criminal process and denies the public a fair opportunity to enforce its criminal laws”. DiBiagio maintains that limited judicial review and retrial of, what he calls a faulty judgment of acquittal would not violate the guarantee against double jeopardy because an appeal and retrial in such circumstances would not infringe upon the policies underlying the guarantee. Rather it would merely be affording the government and the public an opportunity to convict the accused in and error-free trial.

It is well worth the read. And for those who start screaming “then the government would never stop - they would keep on going until they got the guilty verdict they were after”....not so. Why is the state or government not afforded the same rights the defendant is? Why was HHJP bending over backwards to make sure there were not appealable errors on behalf of FCA. But - IMHO - there were appealable errors made on behalf of the state. Namely, striking down the juror selection challenge that the state made on THAT juror - due to race when that WAS NOT why they were challenging that juror??? That was an error. There were others.

Sorry this is sooooo long, but I wanted to start a thread the other day on this....it would be a whopper of a debate. But I was busy. And tired. And now that I think of it, I’m sure there would be many MANY timeouts to be had if we did have a thread on this subject!

That’s all.
Brilliantly put. People seem to buy into the concern of prosecution and not the more rational concern of having a freshly/wrongly acquitted Jeffrey Dahmer type move in next door.
__________________
Justice for GEORGE!
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Horace Finklestein For This Useful Post:
  #618  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 AM
bayouland's Avatar
bayouland bayouland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 1,502
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyObsessed View Post
Oh I totally agree. However, judges don't work that way.
Granted there were absolutely no facts whatsoever to support JB’s opening statement. HHJP did instruct the jury to disregard it...but you cannot unring a bell. But legally, that is all that could be done. It stinks. It really does.
I read a fantastic Law Review article the other day....I’ll try to find it and link to it...where a fantastic argument was made for being able to redress acquittals when it was an obvious and egregious error. Which I believe 90%+ believe this verdict to have been. While it was arguing federal law (vs. state) it still made some very good points about double jeopardy and how that law came about and how the meaning as applied by today’s standards is far, far, far from the initial intent of preventing double jeopardy.
I can’t find my exact link, but you can get it off of Lexis (how iornic is that? JB?). It was written by Thomas DiBiagio and it appeared in The Catholic University Law Review. Among other things it states: “A judgment of acquittal obtained in such a manner ... calls into question the legitimacy and integrity of the criminal process and denies the public a fair opportunity to enforce its criminal laws”. DiBiagio maintains that limited judicial review and retrial of, what he calls a faulty judgment of acquittal would not violate the guarantee against double jeopardy because an appeal and retrial in such circumstances would not infringe upon the policies underlying the guarantee. Rather it would merely be affording the government and the public an opportunity to convict the accused in and error-free trial.

It is well worth the read. And for those who start screaming “then the government would never stop - they would keep on going until they got the guilty verdict they were after”....not so. Why is the state or government not afforded the same rights the defendant is? Why was HHJP bending over backwards to make sure there were not appealable errors on behalf of FCA. But - IMHO - there were appealable errors made on behalf of the state. Namely, striking down the juror selection challenge that the state made on THAT juror - due to race when that WAS NOT why they were challenging that juror??? That was an error. There were others.

Sorry this is sooooo long, but I wanted to start a thread the other day on this....it would be a whopper of a debate. But I was busy. And tired. And now that I think of it, I’m sure there would be many MANY timeouts to be had if we did have a thread on this subject!

That’s all.
Bumping this excellent post I just read this morning!
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bayouland For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida Bar Allegedly Prepares Case against Baez tangerinemoon Caylee Anthony 2 years old 664 02-27-2011 08:45 PM
2009.04.07 Baez Under Investigation Again By Florida Bar Secretsolver Caylee Anthony 2 years old 194 06-17-2009 07:07 PM
Jose Baez rejected by Florida Bar on first try (Orlando & Miami News Articles) KeysBreeze Caylee Anthony 2 years old 361 05-07-2009 09:38 AM
Jose Baez olive Caylee Anthony 2 years old 539 10-31-2008 12:13 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!