Trials Current Trials In the news

Old 07-22-2011, 04:16 PM
chien méchant

Tabloid coverage:

MASSACRE AT KIDS' CAMP: More than 30 dead as terrorist
opens fire at Norwegian summer camp and car bomb devastates Oslo

Quote:
*1.30pm: Massive car bomb explosion kills at least seven in Oslo
*3.30pm: Between 25 and 30 dead as man disguised as police officer opens fire on island youth meeting Norwegian prime minister was due to attend
*Eyewitnesses say bodies floating in the sea around the island
*Man arrested on the island was 6ft tall, had blonde hair and spoke Norwegian - reports he was shot and wounded before being detained
*Police fear explosives may have been laid at camp
*Unknown group called 'Helpers of the Global Jihad' said to have posted message saying this is reaction to publication of Muhammed cartoons
*Islands residents told not to reveal their location on Twitter or Facebook
*British Foreign Minister William Hague condemns 'horrific' attack
*Oslo Mayor: 'Wish I were on island to be shot instead of children'
*Police believe the two attacks may be linked and can not say whether there was more than one shooter on island
much, much more, including disturbing pictures, at Mail Online link above
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
chien méchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tasha View Post
Anybody have information about Findland's Labour Party? I read that this camp is largely known as the "breeding ground" for its future leaders. I'm in complete ignorance. TIA.

Trying to research it now.
Labour Party (Norway) (Wiki)
Quote:
The Norwegian Labour Party is officially committed to social-democratic ideals. Its parole since the 1930s has been "work for everyone", and the party seeks a strong welfare state, funded through taxes and duties. During the last 20 years, the party has included more principles of social market economy in its policy, allowing for privatisation of government-held assets and services and reducing income tax progressivity, following the wave of economic liberalism during the 1980s. The Labour Party profiles itself as a progressive party that subscribes to cooperation on a national as well as international level. Its youth wing is the Workers' Youth League.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 PM
chien méchant

from Guardian link above:
Quote:
9.07pm: On Twitter runehak, who works for the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, says:

News agency NTB says police do NOT think this is international terrorism. #osloexpl #oslobomb #whys

and then

Nationen also writes police think its a local variant directed at the current political system. #osloexpl #oslobomb #whys

9.02pm: According to David Berry, from the department of Political Studies at Swansea University, on NRK in the last few minutes they interviewed the head of police in Oslo and he stated that the gunman was NOT wearing a police uniform, rather a blue jumper which had a Norwegian police badge or sign on it. He also confirmed that the suspect had never worked for the police.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Nationen also writes police think its a local variant directed at the current political system. #osloexpl #oslobomb #whys

Rendering an attack with a high volume of children even more nonsensical..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1tasha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Good God, the world has indeed gone crazy; Norway? Really?

I will have all affected in my prayers, and hope that those who organized and committed this vicious, horrific, evil crime be caught and dealt with rapidly and finally.

Best-
Herding Cats
Disclaimer: while I have graduated nursing school and hold a degree in nursing, I am not yet licensed due to circumstances outside of my control. Therefore, if I say anything which could possibly be considered medical advice, or if I explain anything related to anatomy, physiology, medicine, medication, or anything related to nursing, please be aware that I do not yet hold a nursing license. Please always, always talk to your personal doctor, and follow their directions as to medication, disease process, and procedures. Please also follow the TOS in regards to all unverified posters. Thank you!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herding Cats View Post
Good God, the world has indeed gone crazy; Norway? Really? Best-Herding Cats
SNIPPED.

The world has gone crazier with targeting young people. 500 teens were at this island camp. Can you imagine sending your child to camp, then finding he/she was injured or dead?
Incredible madman.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trino For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 PM
chien méchant

Excerpts from the unclassified 2011 national security outlook published by
the Norway Police Security Service (PST) in February 2011 at:

Norway security outlook: "Increased uncertainty" (Reuters)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 06:49 PM
chien méchant

Quote:
10.41pm: On BBC's Newsnight Security Correspondent Gordon Corera says a youth rally is not a usual type of target for an Islamist terrorist - a factor which suggests the attacks may have been carried out by someone with a national agenda, but he points out that the car bombing in Oslo was big, so it would have been a lot for someone working alone to achieve.
Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...-live-coverage
Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 PM

I'm really surprised that they took the shooter alive.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1tasha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM

From the Guardian Link:

1.38am: ketilbstensrud, who has worked for the Independent and the Daily Mirror, and now works for Radio NRJ Kristiansand, has tweeted this:

Just been directed to what is reportedly the Facebook profile of the Utøya gunman. For obvious reasons I cannot share that yet. Looks crazy. The gunman had his own company, dealing with geofarming, which would explain access to explosives. The Oklahoma bomb was made of ammonium nitrate, which is frequently used in geo-farming. The Utøya gunman has a company dealing with it... The 32 year old ethnic Norwegian national arrested for the Utøya shootings belongs to a right-wing group, reports TV2.

1.33am: AP has this:

A Norwegian police official says the 32-year-old Norwegian man suspected of the Oslo bombing and a shooting at a youth camp does not appear to be linked to Islamist terrorism.
The official says the attacks probably have more in common with the 1995 attack on a U.S. federal building in Oklahoma City than the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
He says the suspect appears to have acted alone, and "it seems like that this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all." He added that the investigation is still ongoing and that things can change.
The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because that information has not yet been released by Norway's police.

Dear God. Didn't Mcveigh even say he wasn't aware the number of children in the Federal Building? This feels like an awful precedent.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1tasha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 PM
chien méchant

Here's ketilbstensrud's Twitter; nothing in last couple of hours though.

Yes, when I heard about the explosion I thought "Murrah Building." I'll never forget seeing that place within a week or so after it happened. My God.

This Norwegian shooter guy at the youth camp (and the rest who participated) are true Quislings. These didn't let the Nazis into their country. But they let them into their souls.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 PM
chien méchant

More tabloid coverage from Daily Mail; much more, with picture of alleged Utøya gunman, at link:

The blond Norwegian, 32, arrested over 'holiday island massacre' and linked to Oslo car bomb blasts
Quote:
The 32-year-old Norwegian man arrested for gunning down children on the holiday island of Utoya has been named locally as Anders Behring Breivik.

Described as 6ft tall and blond, he is reported to have arrived on the island of Utoya and opened fire after beckoning several young people over in his native Norwegian tongue.

Reports suggest he was also seen loitering around the site of the bomb blast in Oslo two hours before the island incident.
---
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 PM
"From 30 feet away she looked like a lot of class."*

Here's the guy's facebook account, according to msnbc: https://www.facebook.com/people/Ande...290254?sk=wall

This is so tragic. Can you imagine kids at summer camp being massacred? Or domestic terror attacks in Norway?? Unimaginable!

*Raymond Chandler
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to STEADFAST For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
chien méchant

Pictures from Anders Behring Breivik's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q...6884?sk=photos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:18 PM

There are some reports that 80 - 80!!! - people were killed in these attacks.

There is also some thought that he acted alone - meaning, he did the car bomb, and was then able to get to Utoya, and start massacreing there. And there were apparently unexploded devices on the island, too.

Tragic. Terrible. Domestic terrorism is still terrorism, and yes, this reeks of McVeigh.

Best-
Herding Cats
Disclaimer: while I have graduated nursing school and hold a degree in nursing, I am not yet licensed due to circumstances outside of my control. Therefore, if I say anything which could possibly be considered medical advice, or if I explain anything related to anatomy, physiology, medicine, medication, or anything related to nursing, please be aware that I do not yet hold a nursing license. Please always, always talk to your personal doctor, and follow their directions as to medication, disease process, and procedures. Please also follow the TOS in regards to all unverified posters. Thank you!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 PM

Norway police say gunman kills at least 80 youths

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76M0AU20110723
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 PM

The pictures of the children hiding in fear are heartbreaking. I am sure there will be many more.

Absolutely devastating, so evil, omg.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 PM

UPDATE 8:35 p.m. ET: Dagbladet has more details on Anders Behring Breivik, 32, who has been identified as the suspect in Friday's attacks:

Neighbors tell Dagbladet that they have seen the 32-year-old in what looked like a military uniform several times. ...

Late last night, he was still being questioned. It was not known what might have been the motive behind the attacks.

"We have not formulated a basis for charges so far. We will formulate a charge during the night when we see what comes out of the interrogation," said prosecutor Trine Dingelan to Dagbladet at 1 a.m.

Behring Breivik for a time lived in the same street as a number of prominent white politicians on the west side of Oslo.

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ing-questioned
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:17 PM

Andre Skeie, 26, who lives near the island, was one of about 20 people who answered a police call for those with boats to come and help the rescue effort.

In a telephone interview, he said he and his friends left the small town of Honefoss, drove to shore and took their boats out to the island, where they saw about 50 people standing near the water, many of them severely wounded.

“It was like a war zone,” he said. “You could see badly injured people. Some of the people didn’t have a face. The injuries were so bad that [the gunman] must have used a large-caliber weapon.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...TUI_story.html
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
Pictures from Anders Behring Breivik's Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q...6884?sk=photos
One of the two pictures has a man set in a rectangular yellow box. I assume it's him shooting at people. How the heck did it get on his page?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Until they all come home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulette View Post
One of the two pictures has a man set in a rectangular yellow box. I assume it's him shooting at people. How the heck did it get on his page?
that doesn't appear to be his personal page

his page has actually been deleted already

I think it's just a page someone made like people do with other murderers & then upload pictures to it
Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Well here's what he looks like. Waiting to hear more about what set him off. Tragic

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/norway...Fid%3D14139886
The Following User Says Thank You to Peliman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:40 PM

As soon as I heard about the bomb blast, before the news about the shooting, I had a feeling it was domestic terrorism. It reminded me a lot of the OKC bombing. It looks like he chose that specific summer camp for his rampage because of its political connections, but I also think the fact that it's on an island was also appealing to him.

Shooting 80 people is just unimaginable. My thoughts go out to the people of Norway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I start off slow, then taper off....

Anders Behring Breivik had set up his own business, Breivik Geofarm, and a month ago had started to run an organic farm in Hedmark in eastern Norway. There he reportedly produced and stored fertilizers that he was able to use in explosives.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...killer/242398/

...a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dallasdon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 AM

This is just so despicable. My heart just breaks.

Quote:
Shooter gathered campers in Norway for security check before opening fire

The stranger beckoned to some of the 550 young people attending a summer camp organized by the youth wing of the ruling Labour Party.

“Come here,” he said, claiming he was performing a routine security check after a bomb blast hours earlier in downtown Oslo killed at least seven people and injured many others.

Once a sizeable group had gathered, the man — who looked like a typical Norwegian, with blond hair and spoke with an eastern Norwegian accent — said this was just the beginning and opened fire.

The campers, aged 15 to 25, scattered in panic, many throwing themselves in the water in an attempt to escape the island, which had no bridge to the mainland. Others cowered in nearby buildings.

Police said at least 80 people were killed, a number that is expected to rise as more bodies wash ashore.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wondergirl For This Useful Post: