Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials

Notices

Trials Current Trials In the news

Old 07-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Semper Fi

Norwegian, what kind of penalties will this murderer face in Norway? Does Norway have the death penalty? If so, how is it carried out and how quickly is the sentence carried out?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Bama Alum

Senseless, scary and overwhelmingly heartbreaking. My prayers go out to the families and friends of all the victims....and to beautiful Norway as a whole. This is a sad time indeed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RammerJammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I start off slow, then taper off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasdon View Post
Anders Behring Breivik had set up his own business, Breivik Geofarm, and a month ago had started to run an organic farm in Hedmark in eastern Norway. There he reportedly produced and stored fertilizers that he was able to use in explosives.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...killer/242398/
New details emerged:
An employee at a Norwegian agricultural cooperative told CNN that the man identified in media reports as the suspect bought 6 tons of fertilizer from her company in May.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe...=BN1&hpt=hp_t1

...a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dallasdon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 AM

This is devastating. A wake up call for many of the so called "soft" countries. Prayers to all
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allusonz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Police investigating second suspect in spree

http://news.yahoo.com/report-police-...120330168.html

Witnesses report there was a second shooter on the island. Police are looking into this.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoeFromLB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tasha View Post
http://www.npr.org/2011/07/23/138634...attack?ps=cprs

A common topic of coversation in Norway is that this person will be convicted to the harshest penalty that we can give him, which is 21 years in prison," Sandberg said. "That means he is out after 16 years. He might be out after 14 years. And then he will be a free man. And he killed so many. We don't have laws that could lay out a penalty for what he's done."

I'll stop complaining about verdicts I don't like, at this point.
We have similar punishments here. I sure hope they will find a way to lock him up in an institution for the mentally ill . There should be no way he could get free. I am not pro death penalty even in some case it is hard to maintain that position. This is certainly one of those situations. Still there is no relief in revenge.
I hope he will be haunted by this for the rest of his life but I doubt it given his willingness to talk. That alone for me sounds like he thinks he got something important to say. This not only makes one sick in the stomach, it hurts all over the body.

Last edited by Bertha21; 07-23-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bertha21 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
Norwegian, what kind of penalties will this murderer face in Norway? Does Norway have the death penalty? If so, how is it carried out and how quickly is the sentence carried out?
Norway does not have the death penalty and, in fact, has tried to persuade other countries to abandon capital punishment.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian View Post
After all the school massacres world wide, a special training program was established for the police last year. No one thought we'd come to see a situation of this seriousness that fast.

The fake policeman was on a two hour killing spree. Media is questioning why he could go around like that... I would never blame anyone but the perpetrator for this. First of all, everything happened on a small Island, with a man disguised as a police officer. Also, when the youth understood the policeman was fake, it led to more chaos. Because they didn't feel they could trust ANYONE... So when people came to help, everything became out of control once again.

"Our answer is, more openness, more democracy." - Norwegian PM Jens Stoltenberg.

Remember that.
BBM - that is of course the wisest response to a senseless violent spree like this. I'd bet my last dollar that this man is not only spiritually ill, but also mentally ill.

All my love to sweet Norway and its people.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertha21 View Post
We have similar punishments here. I sure hope they will find a way to lock him up in an institution for the mentally ill . There should be no way he could get free. I am not pro death penalty even in some case it is hard to maintain that position. This is certainly one of those situtions. Still there is no relief in revenge.
I hope he will be haunted by this for the rest of his life but I doubt it given his willingness to talk. That alone for me sounds like he thinks he got something important to say. This not only makes one sick in the stomach, it hurts all over the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
Norway does not have the death penalty and, in fact, has tried to persuade other countries to abandon capital punishment.
Please read my comments on punishment on page 3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm watching the police press conference right now.

The shooter appears clear and logical (within his means) and is willing to talk. Still, the questioning is very difficult. I can totally understand that... how is the detectives going to even start interrogating this person?!?

The shooter has said he is guilty of everything. When caught, he put his weapons down and peacefully let the police hand cuff him.

He obviously have an agenda and that is to continue to spread his thoughts and ideology. I've read all his post in a anti multicultural and racist internet forum in Norway and he holds very disturbing meanings.

He has written a 1100 page book in English with predictions of what society will become. Also, he has done investments and business and has enough money to "not work so I can focus on the development of politics and the work with the Vienna school".

So, all this information, his easy capture, political beliefs, professional photos from Facebook etc... makes me believe he wants to become famous - a living martyr.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 12:20 PM

Although this case is all over the media, information is still sparse and conflicting reports occur.

So bare with me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Please read my comments on punishment on page 3.
you are right, I overlooked your post. Sorry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertha21 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
http://www.npr.org/2011/07/23/138634...attack?ps=cprs

A common topic of coversation in Norway is that this person will be convicted to the harshest penalty that we can give him, which is 21 years in prison," Sandberg said. "That means he is out after 16 years. He might be out after 14 years. And then he will be a free man. And he killed so many. We don't have laws that could lay out a penalty for what he's done."

I'll stop complaining about verdicts I don't like, at this point.
No, that can't be right! Each count of murder must carry a seperate sentence - to be served consecutively. Count one, 21 years. Count two, 21 years, etc.

The total crimes aren't grouped into one crime - are they?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulette View Post
No, that can't be right! Each count of murder must carry a seperate sentence - to be served consecutively. Count one, 21 years. Count two, 21 years, etc.

Maximum 21 years TOTAL. But, you can get "forvaring" (custody) which means your sentence can be renewed unlimited times.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, the maximum sentence in Norway is 21 years.

But we have this other arrangement called "forvaring", which can be directly translated as "custody". This means that the original sentence can be extended an unlimited number of times - meaning you can get life in prison.

However, this has never been done before.
First time for everything!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulette View Post

You can tell what part of the world I'm from by the fact that I can't wrap my head around a country that hasn't doled out a life sentence before. No, they can't ever let him go. A 2 hour shooting spree. I have no idea how the survivors are even keeping it together.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1tasha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:17 PM

But isn't 21 years for each murder? So if he killed 90+ people, shouldn't that be 21 X 90+? If he gets 21 years for killing 90+ people, how much time do people get for killing one person? A month?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:18 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe...html?hpt=hp_t1

This is a good (but sobering) lesson for those who assumed that this horrific attack was carried out by Muslims.

Anders Behring Breivik is a blond-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian of Nordic heritage who is described as a "right-wing Christian fundamentalist" and who had an issue with Norway's multi-cultural society, and especially Muslims. His identify as an extreme conservative is what links him to terrorists past and present. It has nothing to do with skin or hair color, or nationality or any specific religion. It originates from close-minded, fundamentalist, prejudice which is directly linked to an inability to cope with his problems in a rational and socially acceptable manner.

My heart goes out to ALL of the people of Norway, especially the victims and their families.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cypros For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Norway's police website said the suspect is currently charged with breaking paragraph 147a of the penal code -- a terrorism offense, with a maximum sentence of 21 years.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1tasha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
You can tell what part of the world I'm from by the fact that I can't wrap my head around a country that hasn't doled out a life sentence before. No, they can't ever let him go. A 2 hour shooting spree. I have no idea how the survivors are even keeping it together.
About the survivors... my heart bleeds for them.

But for the families of the missing even more. No one has been identified yet, because it is such a difficult and chaotic scene. And so many.

Rescuers are still finding body parts in the water.

Just imagine being a relative and sitting there waiting for 24 hours.. hoping.. He hasn't "only" killed 92 people.. he has killed the spirit of so many others too.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:30 PM

Why is it when a Muslim extremist commits a terrorist act, all Muslims get blamed, their religion is mocked, immigration complaints, etc but when a Christian extremist commits a terrorist act, he's simply a "lone nut-job"?
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 PM

http://home.online.no/~jon-o2/index.cfm

Picture of the Island...
Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
Why is it when a Muslim extremist commits a terrorist act, all Muslims get blamed, their religion is mocked, immigration complaints, etc but when a Christian extremist commits a terrorist act, he's simply a "lone nut-job"?
You raise an interesting questions and I have no answers although I've been thinking about this a lot.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
It's called racism.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cypros For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypros View Post

This is a good (but sobering) lesson for those who assumed that this horrific attack was carried out by Muslims.

Anders Behring Breivik is a blond-haired, blue-eyed Caucasian of Nordic heritage who is described as a "right-wing Christian fundamentalist" and who had an issue with Norway's multi-cultural society, and especially Muslims. His identify as an extreme conservative is what links him to terrorists past and present. It has nothing to do with skin or hair color, or nationality or any specific religion. It originates from close-minded, fundamentalist, prejudice which is directly linked to an inability to cope with his problems in a rational and socially acceptable manner.

My heart goes out to ALL of the people of Norway, especially the victims and their families.
First I want to make it clear that I believe that we all can live peacefully side by side.

However, I don't blame anyone for thinking that it could be Muslim extremist doing these horrible acts.

Muslim extremist tweeted right after the incidents that they took responsibility for what had happened. This was reported in the media worldwide too.

I think we all can learn a lesson from this... also journalists and media!!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I doubt this guy was even a Christian. I think he liked to hide behind it to justify his actions and beliefs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Norwegian For This Useful Post: