Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials

Notices

Trials Current Trials In the news


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #126  
Old 08-11-2011, 09:21 AM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighGD View Post
Thanks! I'm far out of "that circle", but I'll keep my ear to the ground

I am curious. There was a segment of this discussion where a lot was cited about trials and attorneys in detail. (I've personally had a good experience with HM in the past, btw, but I'm not shocked about his involvement...) You guys really seem to be in the know. How can I best keep up when this trial occurs? Are transcripts available somewhere or is it from news and discussion? A message would be fine, and thanks in advance!
Good Morning Raleigh GD and please forgive me for not extending a warm welcome to you yesterday.
With the big ticket trials, WRAL.com and another tv station WTVD? will stream them live on the internet. That is how most of us have kept up with the doctor/ballerina, Cooper, Young trials this year. If you can't watch live during the day, WRAL will put up the feed in the late afternoon/early evening so people can watch and catch up that way. WRAL is very good about posting the legal documents on their website as soon as they get them.
It's better than anything on tv, and I've truly become addicted to watching these sordid trials. And with each one, I gain a little bit more weight
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #127  
Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 AM
jrb0124 jrb0124 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
I do want to take issue though with the suggestion that false allegations of abuse, and specifically sexual abuse are common in the context of divorce/custody proceedings, and that revenge is a common motivator.
Sorry, that was a poor choice of wording on my part. instead of writing that "its not uncommon", I should have wrote "its not unheard of".

The 2 things that give me pause in this particular situation are:

1) that RA had to suspect these allegations would be aired publically (and nationally), and would be an issue which would be front and center at the custody hearing. If they are true, or even believeable for that matter - certainly a judge will rule against him taking custody of his grandsons. Why would he even attempt to do so?

2) the family dynamics at the time of the allegations. Without knowing all the details, we do know that RA had custody of his 3 children from his first wife (for whatever reason), then married a much, much younger woman, then had a child (Laura) with her. This could have exaberated already simmering relationships. Shortly thereafter the allegations rose and his 2 previous daughter (7 and 10 at the time) left to go live with their mother. According to RA, the report from the "friend of the court" supports his claim. I'm not sure if this report was for the divorce or transfer of custody though.

Having said that, the allegations could of course be true.

This is what I was suggesting before - now in a more detailed manner.

ETA: there was an incident of a false allegation in my extended family, during a divorce, which was coached. While the actual accusor (not the coach) apologized personally to the accused, the matter was never brought up/discussed again within the extended family...so my outlook could be a bit weighted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrb0124 For This Useful Post:
  #128  
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 AM
jrb0124 jrb0124 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandi View Post
Hi Jbr, I'm remembering with Michelle Young how long it took for the State to bring their case to trial - seemingly forever and a day. then having to retry the b@*tard. I hope with Laura's case things move along faster and they get it right the first time. xox
With MY, I think its the arrest that took forever. 14-18 months to trial seems like a long time, but its the norm for a WC homicide at this point.

If this is a DP case, it will for sure take its time getting to trial. There will be a hearing on making the case DP eligible. There will be probably be a motion for a change of venue (among other things), and each will push the process back a few months.

There may also be the issues of gathering evidence across 7 states, digital forensics, interviewing hundreds of potential witnesses in Raleigh, Kinston, New York, VI...combing through financial records, reviewing the entire custody case, DNA testing of many items in custody, and some not yet discovered...it all piles up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrb0124 For This Useful Post:
  #129  
Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 AM
jrb0124 jrb0124 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimeAddict View Post
I thought it was the storage unit on Glenwood?
would this be it?
7012 Glenwood Avenue Raleigh, NC 27612
919-275-3826
http://www.securcareselfstorage.com/...orth-carolina/
YES, that is the actual one - same hours though, so it still puts GH and AH there with the SUV and the U-Haul trailer before 6:00 on 7/13.

Since as we know GH is now the person referred to as the last to see LA on 7/13 at 9:30 PM...suppose he is lying? What if LA actually came by at 5:00?

She left Wilson around 2:00 I believe, had 2 appointments after that (talked to CM on phone around then). 9:30 seems pretty late to be bringing back a 1 and 3 yr old from dinner and leave a huge time gap. Maybe LA really got there at 5:00 and she was dead shortly thereafter?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jrb0124 For This Useful Post:
  #130  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 AM
jrb0124 jrb0124 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,234
story about RA being robbed a few years back

Also gives a bit of background.
Today, he's out much more money. A collection he had been gathering for 15 years, worth an estimated $36,000, was stolen from his Collector's Korner shop July 20.
.
.
Ackerson, who retired from the Lansing post office in 2000, grew fond of Lowell during his years at Flat River Antique Mall, where he had a booth. The Lake Odessa resident stayed there until the mall closed in 2005. A year later, he opened his shop on Main Street.
[LINK]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrb0124 For This Useful Post:
  #131  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb0124 View Post
YES, that is the actual one - same hours though, so it still puts GH and AH there with the SUV and the U-Haul trailer before 6:00 on 7/13.

Since as we know GH is now the person referred to as the last to see LA on 7/13 at 9:30 PM...suppose he is lying? What if LA actually came by at 5:00?

She left Wilson around 2:00 I believe, had 2 appointments after that (talked to CM on phone around then). 9:30 seems pretty late to be bringing back a 1 and 3 yr old from dinner and leave a huge time gap. Maybe LA really got there at 5:00 and she was dead shortly thereafter?
I thought the same thing last night when I was absorbing the info about the storage unit. I would hate to think they left her dead body in the apartment while they ran 'errands'. But it's possible, especially if she arrived that early.
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #132  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb0124 View Post
Also gives a bit of background.
Today, he's out much more money. A collection he had been gathering for 15 years, worth an estimated $36,000, was stolen from his Collector's Korner shop July 20.
.
.
Ackerson, who retired from the Lansing post office in 2000, grew fond of Lowell during his years at Flat River Antique Mall, where he had a booth. The Lake Odessa resident stayed there until the mall closed in 2005. A year later, he opened his shop on Main Street.
[LINK]
Insured, hmmm? Attorney fees perhaps?
For some reason I don't yet truly trust this man.
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
  #133  
Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM
SurfieTX's Avatar
SurfieTX SurfieTX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,001
JRB, would you be so kind as to update the timeline with the Storage sighting? I'm wondering when they bought the coolers.....
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
  #134  
Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM
cocomod's Avatar
cocomod cocomod is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb0124 View Post
Sorry, that was a poor choice of wording on my part. instead of writing that "its not uncommon", I should have wrote "its not unheard of".

The 2 things that give me pause in this particular situation are:

1) that RA had to suspect these allegations would be aired publically (and nationally), and would be an issue which would be front and center at the custody hearing. If they are true, or even believeable for that matter - certainly a judge will rule against him taking custody of his grandsons. Why would he even attempt to do so?

2) the family dynamics at the time of the allegations. Without knowing all the details, we do know that RA had custody of his 3 children from his first wife (for whatever reason), then married a much, much younger woman, then had a child (Laura) with her. This could have exaberated already simmering relationships. Shortly thereafter the allegations rose and his 2 previous daughter (7 and 10 at the time) left to go live with their mother. According to RA, the report from the "friend of the court" supports his claim. I'm not sure if this report was for the divorce or transfer of custody though.

Having said that, the allegations could of course be true.

This is what I was suggesting before - now in a more detailed manner.

ETA: there was an incident of a false allegation in my extended family, during a divorce, which was coached. While the actual accusor (not the coach) apologized personally to the accused, the matter was never brought up/discussed again within the extended family...so my outlook could be a bit weighted.
Forgive me if this has been discussed; however, were the allegations ever proven? Did he ever serve time for "these allegations"? I am just wondering what became of the allegations made so long ago.

RUMOR: The brother of LA said on the FB page that he did NOT want his father to have custody. Are these allegations the reason why?
__________________
This is where Sky belongs!! Proud member of the Sky Crew & proud supporter of Solomon's quest to find his precious son!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195327
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cocomod For This Useful Post:
  #135  
Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomod View Post
Forgive me if this has been discussed; however, were the allegations ever proven? Did he ever serve time for "these allegations"? I am just wondering what became of the allegations made so long ago.

RUMOR: The brother of LA said on the FB page that he did NOT want his father to have custody. Are these allegations the reason why?
No, the allegations were never proven and the father hopes the ex wife will retract her statements about this. I haven't read that there was any type of court proceedings regarding the allegations--just her word against his. He knows this will be a huge concern with his trying to get custody of the little boys. I read the FB rumors a couple of weeks ago and that, in combination with several other issues, just makes me leery of everybody involved in this case.
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #136  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
say2when say2when is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCEast View Post
No, the allegations were never proven and the father hopes the ex wife will retract her statements about this. I haven't read that there was any type of court proceedings regarding the allegations--just her word against his. He knows this will be a huge concern with his trying to get custody of the little boys. I read the FB rumors a couple of weeks ago and that, in combination with several other issues, just makes me leery of everybody involved in this case.
I am with you I think LA distanced her self from her family for a reason, none of them seemed to have her nor her children in their lives until this point. I am not sure if it is just the way I was raised, but I just could not imagine my life without my sister/brother in it. I wonder just how many of her family members other than JA have even laid eyes on these children?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to say2when For This Useful Post:
  #137  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Boodles's Avatar
Boodles Boodles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,959
I am so surprised about this information regarding the storage unit and U-Haul. It never occurred to me they already had the U-Haul on Wednesday when Laura went missing. I have been assuming they killed her, then rented a U-Haul, then went to Texas. I thought the Texas trip was an impromptu one intended to dispose of the body. I assumed that because of the very short time they stayed there (24 hours or so).

But why would they have rented a U-Haul and already had it by (assumption) 6PM on Wednesday and be at the storage facility? Maybe they had previously planned to travel to Texas that weekend and it wasn’t an impromptu decision.

They did not leave for Texas until Saturday morning (maybe so Grant could pretend to go to Wilson to wait for Laura at the Sheetz), which means Laura was dead and stored somewhere, somehow from Wednesday evening/night until Saturday morning!

I expect Laura arrived at Grant's in the late afternoon/evening. You wouldn’t go to visit a 2 and 3 year old at night, especially if you had planned to visit a friend in Cary later the same evening. (The drive from Cary back to Kinston would take about 2 hours.)

It’s at least an hour drive from Wilson to Raleigh. So maybe Laura arrived around 4 or 5, they killed her, and then took her body to the storage facility while they tried to figure out what to do with her. But then why did they already have the U-Haul and need rope?

The timing of this visit to the storage facility is really interesting. Because I think they did the gruesome work at their apartment on Thursday, the following day (when they asked Amanda’s daughter to pick up the kids, bring a vacuum and food). If they had put her body in the storage unit, they would have then have had to pick it up and bring it back to the apartment on Thursday to (I can’t even say it)…

Then, they may have waited to leave for Texas until Saturday morning so that Grant could pretend that Laura was a no-show at Sheetz on Friday afternoon. Assuming Laura’s body had been dismembered and stored in the chests, were the chests sitting in the U-Haul in the parking lot for 2 days? Or did they use the storage facility? Five chests would take up a lot of space.

But why did they have a U-Haul prior to killing her? That’s perplexing.

The police will surely know from cell phone pings and surveillance video whether Grant was actually at the Sheetz station in Wilson. And the storage facility should also have surveillance video as well. RPD will also know the date and time of the ice chest purchases. Has that already been disclosed?

I wish there was no issue of the death penalty. I believe it’s an “easy way out” (I know that sounds crazy). If there is no question of the death penalty, maybe they would confess to some sort of involvement and then get life in prison without the possibility of parole. Although, IMO, I don’t believe Amanda would go for this – she will want Grant to go down and make herself appear as a victim.

Because, it is so obvious from dismembered body parts found in a creek across from Amanda’s sister’s house where they had just arrived with 5 coolers, that they did this. It’s just the details that are missing. And I hate to think of the time and resources being spent on investigating this when it’s done and over with, there is no question of their involvement. Just slam the door on the cell for the rest of their lives and may Laura rest in peace.

I sound so hawkish and anti-criminal rights, but these two truly don’t deserve any more time and attention (just like Casey Anthony). If Amanda ends up with a bona-fide case of PP psychosis, then I’ll eat my words and apologize. But what is known of her involvement so far does not sound like a case of psychosis to me. This took much too long to orchestrate and execute. She had DAYS during which she could have had moments of lucidity and/or escape from the situation, if as some believe, she was suffering from PPP or “Grant’s spell.”

Sorry for this long rambling post, but the U-Haul sighting at the storage facility on the 13th really threw a wrench into my vision of what transpired. This case gets more bizarre at every turn.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boodles For This Useful Post:
  #138  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:27 PM
JeannieC's Avatar
JeannieC JeannieC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,991
Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb0124 View Post
YES, that is the actual one - same hours though, so it still puts GH and AH there with the SUV and the U-Haul trailer before 6:00 on 7/13.

Since as we know GH is now the person referred to as the last to see LA on 7/13 at 9:30 PM...suppose he is lying? What if LA actually came by at 5:00?

She left Wilson around 2:00 I believe, had 2 appointments after that (talked to CM on phone around then). 9:30 seems pretty late to be bringing back a 1 and 3 yr old from dinner and leave a huge time gap. Maybe LA really got there at 5:00 and she was dead shortly thereafter?
Are there any witnesses who saw LA and the boys at dinner or any who saw them anywhere that evening?
__________________
Quote:
A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ



Write to:
Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:
  #139  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:31 PM
SurfieTX's Avatar
SurfieTX SurfieTX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,001
They took a truck to Texas, correct? Why did they need the U-Haul? The five coolers would have fit in the bed of the truck. AH's mother had just passed. Presumably, the Hayes' were thinking about moving (per Grant's FBs posts). Could the U-Haul be needed to drop off some things with AH's sister or pick up some items that her mother had willed to her?

I would love to hear what AH's sister and family has to say about the visit, how it went, the Hayes' demeanor, etc. AH's daughter said that AH was not acting as she normally did on the 14th and the days thereafter. I wonder if AH's sister picked up on that too?

ETA: I'm assuming the Wednesday visit with the boys was an impromptu visit? How would Grant and Amanda have known that Laura was coming on Wednesday, which was not a normally scheduled visit and not something Laura would usually do life/work-wise. Also, being that custody was a huge issue, I wonder if either one of them would have tried to stray from the formal court orders. So, if this was premeditated, I would guess Laura called Grant when she was in Raleigh just to talk to the boys on the phone and he lured her over to the apartment with the promise of seeing the boys (which if he were being nice, I'm sure she would have jumped at the chance to see her boys mid-week).
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
  #140  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by say2when View Post
I am with you I think LA distanced her self from her family for a reason, none of them seemed to have her nor her children in their lives until this point. I am not sure if it is just the way I was raised, but I just could not imagine my life without my sister/brother in it. I wonder just how many of her family members other than JA have even laid eyes on these children?
I totally agree with you.
Even with her family being fractured early on I still haven't figured out why, as adults, they seem to have remained that way.
I am still waiting (wishing) LA's mother will pop up with an interview. I would love to see what kind of feel I get from her.
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #141  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM
JeannieC's Avatar
JeannieC JeannieC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,991
Texas trip, u-haul, storage shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodles View Post
I am so surprised about this information regarding the storage unit and U-Haul. It never occurred to me they already had the U-Haul on Wednesday when Laura went missing. I have been assuming they killed her, then rented a U-Haul, then went to Texas. I thought the Texas trip was an impromptu one intended to dispose of the body. I assumed that because of the very short time they stayed there (24 hours or so).

But why would they have rented a U-Haul and already had it by (assumption) 6PM on Wednesday and be at the storage facility? Maybe they had previously planned to travel to Texas that weekend and it wasnít an impromptu decision.

They did not leave for Texas until Saturday morning (maybe so Grant could pretend to go to Wilson to wait for Laura at the Sheetz), which means Laura was dead and stored somewhere, somehow from Wednesday evening/night until Saturday morning!

I expect Laura arrived at Grant's in the late afternoon/evening. You wouldnít go to visit a 2 and 3 year old at night, especially if you had planned to visit a friend in Cary later the same evening. (The drive from Cary back to Kinston would take about 2 hours.)

Itís at least an hour drive from Wilson to Raleigh. So maybe Laura arrived around 4 or 5, they killed her, and then took her body to the storage facility while they tried to figure out what to do with her. But then why did they already have the U-Haul and need rope?

The timing of this visit to the storage facility is really interesting. Because I think they did the gruesome work at their apartment on Thursday, the following day (when they asked Amandaís daughter to pick up the kids, bring a vacuum and food). If they had put her body in the storage unit, they would have then have had to pick it up and bring it back to the apartment on Thursday to (I canít even say it)Ö

Then, they may have waited to leave for Texas until Saturday morning so that Grant could pretend that Laura was a no-show at Sheetz on Friday afternoon. Assuming Lauraís body had been dismembered and stored in the chests, were the chests sitting in the U-Haul in the parking lot for 2 days? Or did they use the storage facility? Five chests would take up a lot of space.

But why did they have a U-Haul prior to killing her? Thatís perplexing.

The police will surely know from cell phone pings and surveillance video whether Grant was actually at the Sheetz station in Wilson. And the storage facility should also have surveillance video as well. RPD will also know the date and time of the ice chest purchases. Has that already been disclosed?

I wish there was no issue of the death penalty. I believe itís an ďeasy way outĒ (I know that sounds crazy). If there is no question of the death penalty, maybe they would confess to some sort of involvement and then get life in prison without the possibility of parole. Although, IMO, I donít believe Amanda would go for this Ė she will want Grant to go down and make herself appear as a victim.

Because, it is so obvious from dismembered body parts found in a creek across from Amandaís sisterís house where they had just arrived with 5 coolers, that they did this. Itís just the details that are missing. And I hate to think of the time and resources being spent on investigating this when itís done and over with, there is no question of their involvement. Just slam the door on the cell for the rest of their lives and may Laura rest in peace.

I sound so hawkish and anti-criminal rights, but these two truly donít deserve any more time and attention (just like Casey Anthony). If Amanda ends up with a bona-fide case of PP psychosis, then Iíll eat my words and apologize. But what is known of her involvement so far does not sound like a case of psychosis to me. This took much too long to orchestrate and execute. She had DAYS during which she could have had moments of lucidity and/or escape from the situation, if as some believe, she was suffering from PPP or ďGrantís spell.Ē

Sorry for this long rambling post, but the U-Haul sighting at the storage facility on the 13th really threw a wrench into my vision of what transpired. This case gets more bizarre at every turn.
I believe LA was alive when they went to the storage but the "Plan" for her demise was underway. That was why GH was in a hurry. He wanted to be ready for her. They had to get this stuff and get home before she arrived.

They might have gotten things out of the storage to take to Tx to AH's sister and/or things they needed for the dismemberment.

The rope might have been needed to hold the item they were taking to LA's sister in the U-haul.

I don't believe they would put the body in the storage building. Not enough time to dismember it and put it in coolers. Not to mention clean up the mess. It closed at 6. It would take longer to do the deed.

Does anyone remember the date LA's nephew put the message on his FB page that his aunt was coming to visit with her new baby?

That would tell us if the trip was planned before the murder or after.
__________________
Quote:
A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ



Write to:
Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:
  #142  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:53 PM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodles View Post
I am so surprised about this information regarding the storage unit and U-Haul. It never occurred to me they already had the U-Haul on Wednesday when Laura went missing. I have been assuming they killed her, then rented a U-Haul, then went to Texas. I thought the Texas trip was an impromptu one intended to dispose of the body. I assumed that because of the very short time they stayed there (24 hours or so).

But why would they have rented a U-Haul and already had it by (assumption) 6PM on Wednesday and be at the storage facility? Maybe they had previously planned to travel to Texas that weekend and it wasnít an impromptu decision.

They did not leave for Texas until Saturday morning (maybe so Grant could pretend to go to Wilson to wait for Laura at the Sheetz), which means Laura was dead and stored somewhere, somehow from Wednesday evening/night until Saturday morning!

I expect Laura arrived at Grant's in the late afternoon/evening. You wouldnít go to visit a 2 and 3 year old at night, especially if you had planned to visit a friend in Cary later the same evening. (The drive from Cary back to Kinston would take about 2 hours.)

Itís at least an hour drive from Wilson to Raleigh. So maybe Laura arrived around 4 or 5, they killed her, and then took her body to the storage facility while they tried to figure out what to do with her. But then why did they already have the U-Haul and need rope?

The timing of this visit to the storage facility is really interesting. Because I think they did the gruesome work at their apartment on Thursday, the following day (when they asked Amandaís daughter to pick up the kids, bring a vacuum and food). If they had put her body in the storage unit, they would have then have had to pick it up and bring it back to the apartment on Thursday to (I canít even say it)Ö

Then, they may have waited to leave for Texas until Saturday morning so that Grant could pretend that Laura was a no-show at Sheetz on Friday afternoon. Assuming Lauraís body had been dismembered and stored in the chests, were the chests sitting in the U-Haul in the parking lot for 2 days? Or did they use the storage facility? Five chests would take up a lot of space.

But why did they have a U-Haul prior to killing her? Thatís perplexing.

The police will surely know from cell phone pings and surveillance video whether Grant was actually at the Sheetz station in Wilson. And the storage facility should also have surveillance video as well. RPD will also know the date and time of the ice chest purchases. Has that already been disclosed?

I wish there was no issue of the death penalty. I believe itís an ďeasy way outĒ (I know that sounds crazy). If there is no question of the death penalty, maybe they would confess to some sort of involvement and then get life in prison without the possibility of parole. Although, IMO, I donít believe Amanda would go for this Ė she will want Grant to go down and make herself appear as a victim.

Because, it is so obvious from dismembered body parts found in a creek across from Amandaís sisterís house where they had just arrived with 5 coolers, that they did this. Itís just the details that are missing. And I hate to think of the time and resources being spent on investigating this when itís done and over with, there is no question of their involvement. Just slam the door on the cell for the rest of their lives and may Laura rest in peace.

I sound so hawkish and anti-criminal rights, but these two truly donít deserve any more time and attention (just like Casey Anthony). If Amanda ends up with a bona-fide case of PP psychosis, then Iíll eat my words and apologize. But what is known of her involvement so far does not sound like a case of psychosis to me. This took much too long to orchestrate and execute. She had DAYS during which she could have had moments of lucidity and/or escape from the situation, if as some believe, she was suffering from PPP or ďGrantís spell.Ē

Sorry for this long rambling post, but the U-Haul sighting at the storage facility on the 13th really threw a wrench into my vision of what transpired. This case gets more bizarre at every turn.
Love your thought on this Boodles. Good post!
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #143  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:57 PM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieC View Post
I believe LA was alive when they went to the storage but the "Plan" for her demise was underway. That was why GH was in a hurry. He wanted to be ready for her. They had to get this stuff and get home before she arrived.

They might have gotten things out of the storage to take to Tx to AH's sister and/or things they needed for the dismemberment.

The rope might have been needed to hold the item they were taking to LA's sister in the U-haul.

I don't believe they would put the body in the storage building. Not enough time to dismember it and put it in coolers. Not to mention clean up the mess. It closed at 6. It would take longer to do the deed.

Does anyone remember the date LA's nephew put the message on his FB page that his aunt was coming to visit with her new baby?

That would tell us if the trip was planned before the murder or after.
I am certain had they left the body in the storage unit for a few days the odor would have become a problem. The storage unit has sort of thrown me for a loop with respect to how it plays into all of this.
I will try to go back and find the post referencing the nephew's FB message and see if there is a date associated with it.
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #144  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM
JeannieC's Avatar
JeannieC JeannieC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,991
Unexpected visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfieTX View Post
They took a truck to Texas, correct? Why did they need the U-Haul? The five coolers would have fit in the bed of the truck. AH's mother had just passed. Presumably, the Hayes' were thinking about moving (per Grant's FBs posts). Could the U-Haul be needed to drop off some things with AH's sister or pick up some items that her mother had willed to her?

I would love to hear what AH's sister and family has to say about the visit, how it went, the Hayes' demeanor, etc. AH's daughter said that AH was not acting as she normally did on the 14th and the days thereafter. I wonder if AH's sister picked up on that too?

ETA: I'm assuming the Wednesday visit with the boys was an impromptu visit? How would Grant and Amanda have known that Laura was coming on Wednesday, which was not a normally scheduled visit and not something Laura would usually do life/work-wise. Also, being that custody was a huge issue, I wonder if either one of them would have tried to stray from the formal court orders. So, if this was premeditated, I would guess Laura called Grant when she was in Raleigh just to talk to the boys on the phone and he lured her over to the apartment with the promise of seeing the boys (which if he were being nice, I'm sure she would have jumped at the chance to see her boys mid-week).
LA was going to be in Raleigh so she called and arranged to see the boys for a few hours before she went to dinner with a friend. I think AH was taking something to her sister. They wouldn't rent a u-haul to take to Tx to pick something up. They could get that in Tx if that were the case. jmo

GH and AH knew LA was coming. I think that unexpected visit from LA is when they put a plan into action.

They were going to Tx the next day to see AH's family and show them the baby. They would be going the VI soon after returning and were selling things. Perfect opportunity to get LA out of the picture and move to the VI with the boys. mho
__________________
Quote:
A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ



Write to:
Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeannieC For This Useful Post:
  #145  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 PM
SurfieTX's Avatar
SurfieTX SurfieTX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 10,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieC View Post
LA was going to be in Raleigh so she called and arranged to see the boys for a few hours before she went to dinner with a friend. I think AH was taking something to her sister. They wouldn't rent a u-haul to take to Tx to pick something up. They could get that in Tx if that were the case. jmo

GH and AH knew LA was coming. I think that unexpected visit from LA is when they put a plan into action.

They were going to Tx the next day to see AH's family and show them the baby. They would be going the VI soon after returning and were selling things. Perfect opportunity to get LA out of the picture and move to the VI with the boys. mho
BBM: Good point, and I seem to remember reading that they turned the U-Haul in while in Texas.
__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:
  #146  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
I went back to the first group of posts in this case and could not for the life of me see the one about the nephew's FB message. On July 25 a poster said the nephew's FB account had been made private. Sorry I couldn't help with the date the nephew indicated his happiness that his aunt was coming for a visit.
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following User Says Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #147  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 PM
hellinor hellinor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 421
Can someone please tell me the ages of GH & AH?
I am confused since I've read LA was 27 and AHs daughter, SE, is 22?
The Following User Says Thank You to hellinor For This Useful Post:
  #148  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
http://*****************/viewArticle.a...81474979706733

For some reason I had the surveillance photos on my mind ....the ones that were released pretty early in the case right after LA was reported missing. I found the link above which states that the shots were taken just before she dropped her boys off at GH's apartment. The time is not indicated in the report but I'm sure the video is time stamped. Hopefully that time frame info will come out soon and it will help give us an idea of about what time she took the boys back to GH's apartment---and was subsequently murdered.
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following User Says Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #149  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM
NCEast's Avatar
NCEast NCEast is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellinor View Post
Can someone please tell me the ages of GH & AH?
I am confused since I've read LA was 27 and AHs daughter, SE, is 22?
GH is 32 and AH is 39. AH had her daughter at a very early age.
pat
__________________
Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
............Harper Lee
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:
  #150  
Old 08-11-2011, 03:53 PM
borndem's Avatar
borndem borndem is offline
Anglophile & registered demwit
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 6,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb0124 View Post
In fact, one WS'er in the last thread noticed that on the craigslist photo for the living room set (listed at 11:45 AM on THU, the day after the murder) there is a laundry basket in the background with what appears to be a pinkish stained bath mat or towel in it:



http://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/2493826660.html

Ewwwwww! I can't remember if a bath mat (or whatever -- small area rug?) was on the SW "list of things taken" or not.... Hope so -- I certainly would have taken it -- um, it it were still there -- bet not!
__________________


All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
_________________


This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
William Shakespeare, King Richard II



The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City
The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
amanda hayes, custody dispute, grant hayes, grant haze, kinston, laura ackerson, laura jean ackerson, murder, murdered mother, north carolina, oyster creek, raleigh, richmond, texas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Found Deceased NC - Laura Jean Ackerson - 27 years old - Kinston - 13-Jul-2011 momof7 Located! Information and Support 16 03-01-2013 03:20 PM
Ruled out NC - Douglas Stephen Simmons, 20, Raleigh, July 1990 christine2448 Grateful Dead fan -Possible Matches 18 07-23-2012 04:13 PM
Found Deceased NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kiniston/Raleigh, 13 July 2011 KaylynnCouture Located Forum Discussion 677 08-08-2011 09:31 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!