Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Rebecca Zahau Nalepa

Notices

Rebecca Zahau Nalepa Was Rebecca's death a homicide or a suicide?


View Poll Results: What do you think happened to Rebecca Zahau?
It was a suicide. 31 13.14%
It was not a suicide. 50 21.19%
It was a hired hit. 22 9.32%
It was a murder committed by someone angry about Max's accident. 106 44.92%
I am unsure of what really happened (on the fence). 27 11.44%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #176  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:18 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieRose View Post
Since you believe it was murder, why do you think they tied her hands up? And why didn't they tie them up tighter?
I have yet to see a reasonable explanation for why a murderer would bind the hands and feet and leave them tied if the goal was to make it appear to be a suicide.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyBelle For This Useful Post:
  #177  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:21 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieRose View Post
Was there any evidence that her body was dragged?
No. Such evidence would point to a homicide. My take from the press conference is that LE couldn't find any evidence of homicide.
  #178  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 AM
CDS22 CDS22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 708
Evidence at Spreckels mansion quickly pointed to suicide



http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,44787.story
The Following User Says Thank You to CDS22 For This Useful Post:
  #179  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Pach Pach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 142
1.) thats the reason why people want to reopen the case since they are not convinced of the suicide findings(i.e. no signs of struggle)

2.) there are head wounds(bonking the head hard enough can make her unconscious), and another thing/scenario - if strangulation is done very quickly by a very strong person, the victim won't have time to struggle since death will occur rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
That's a very good point. The AR made a point of stating that there were no signs of a struggle.

Last edited by Pach; 09-22-2011 at 01:43 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pach For This Useful Post:
  #180  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
Evidence at Spreckels mansion quickly pointed to suicide



http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,44787.story
And the tide turns toward suicide. Without new evidence, I now doubt LE will re-open the suicide investigation.

JMO
  #181  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:36 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
1.) thats the reason why people want to reopen the case since they are not convinced of the suicide findings(i.e. no signs of struggle)

2.) there are head wounds(bonking the head hard enough can make her unconscious), and another thing/scenario - if strangulation is done very quickly, the victim won't have time to struggle sincedeath will occur rapidly.
The LE theory includes her going over a wrought iron railing which would make a head injury very plausible.

JMO
  #182  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Pach Pach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 142
there is nothing new in this news article except summarize what we already know.

I dont understand why the L.A. times reporter did not find it strange for LE to declare it a suicide even though this same reporter states in this article the following:
"Inside the mansion, investigators found Zahau's journal and discovered that she had painted a kind of farewell note on the wall of her bedroom.(LOL-certainly a confusing farewell if it was one)) Later, forensic evidence found only her DNA on the rope around her neck.(LOL-it just means the rope was around her neck, how about a perp using gloves, hello !)

Also, Shacknai's brother, Adam, who found Zahau's body, voluntarily took a polygraph exam soon after her death. Although the examiner said the tests were inconclusive, she also said that she felt he was telling the truth when he denied any involvement in the death, according to the warrants.(LOL-inconclusive ? hello ! then do the test again, not use your feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
Evidence at Spreckels mansion quickly pointed to suicide



http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,44787.story
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pach For This Useful Post:
  #183  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
there is nothing new in this news article except summarize what we already know.

I dont understand why the L.A. times reporter did not find it strange for LE to dclare it a suicide even though this same reporter states in this article the following:
"Inside the mansion, investigators found Zahau's journal and discovered that she had painted a kind of farewell note on the wall of her bedroom.(LOL) Later, forensic evidence found only her DNA on the rope around her neck.(LOL)

Also, Shacknai's brother, Adam, who found Zahau's body, voluntarily took a polygraph exam soon after her death. Although the examiner said the tests were inconclusive, she also said that she felt he was telling the truth when he denied any involvement in the death, according to the warrants.(LOL)
The LA Times reporter also mentions that the investigator who initially suspected homicide changed his opinion after finding the journal, farewell note and only her DNA on the rope around her neck. None of that points to homicide, it points to a suicide.

JMO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyBelle For This Useful Post:
  #184  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 AM
CDS22 CDS22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
1.) thats the reason why people want to reopen the case since they are not convinced of the suicide findings(i.e. no signs of struggle)

2.) there are head wounds(bonking the head hard enough can make her unconscious), and another thing/scenario - if strangulation is done very quickly, the victim won't have time to struggle sincedeath will occur rapidly.
The head wounds were very minor, according to police reports. They were not enough to render her unconcious.
  #185  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Pach Pach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 142
the head injuries can support at least 2 theories- the going over the iron rail(staged suicide or voluntary suicide) or she was bonked on the head by a perp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post
The LE theory includes her going over a wrought iron railing which would make a head injury very plausible.

JMO
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pach For This Useful Post:
  #186  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 AM
CDS22 CDS22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
there is nothing new in this news article except summarize what we already know.

I dont understand why the L.A. times reporter did not find it strange for LE to declare it a suicide even though this same reporter states in this article the following:
"Inside the mansion, investigators found Zahau's journal and discovered that she had painted a kind of farewell note on the wall of her bedroom.(LOL-certainly a confusing farewell if it was one)) Later, forensic evidence found only her DNA on the rope around her neck.(LOL-it just means the rope was around her neck, how about a perp using gloves, hello !)

Also, Shacknai's brother, Adam, who found Zahau's body, voluntarily took a polygraph exam soon after her death. Although the examiner said the tests were inconclusive, she also said that she felt he was telling the truth when he denied any involvement in the death, according to the warrants.(LOL-inconclusive ? hello ! then do the test again, not use your feelings)
The article states that they quickly changed their viewpoint to suicide because the evidence was overwhelming.
  #187  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 AM
TorisMom003's Avatar
TorisMom003 TorisMom003 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 3,167
At the link provided above I see at least 3 things wrong in the story. It is difficult for one to believe the entire story/article when there are clearly things reported falsely in it.


1. Inside the mansion, investigators found Zahau's journal and discovered that she had painted a kind of farewell note on the wall of her bedroom. Later, forensic evidence found only her DNA on the rope around her neck.

The above bolded section is not accurate. The message was on the door to the guest bedroom, not the wall of Rebecca's bedroom.

2. Adam Shacknai was the only adult present when Zahau killed herself, the warrants said. Jonah Shacknai and his ex-wife, Dina, were keeping a vigil at Rady Children's Hospital for their son, injured two days earlier in a fall at the mansion.

Again, the above bolded is not accurate. It is reported that Dina was at the hospital during the time that Rebecca died, however Jonah was not. Jonah was absent from the hospital for at least 6 hours which includes the time that Rebecca died.

3. Within minutes she had found a rope, cut it to appropriate lengths and committed suicide, according to the medical examiner.

The above has not been stated before. The estimated time of death is not "within minutes" of Rebecca receiving the news that Max had taken a turn for the worst.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorisMom003 For This Useful Post:
  #188  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Pach Pach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 142
the evidence can point to suicide as a theory, but the evidence is not convincing because it can also point to a murder theory. therefore, this should be declared "undetermined" cause in the higher interest of truth, thats the reason majority of posters are calling for reopening the case since there are a lot of holes in the suicide theory as mentioned.

now, if this LA. Times story is another PR offensive , thats another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post
The LA Times reporter also mentions that the investigator who initially suspected homicide changed his opinion after finding the journal, farewell note and only her DNA on the rope around her neck. None of that points to homicide, it points to a suicide.

JMO
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pach For This Useful Post:
  #189  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Pach Pach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 142
if the evidence was overwhelming, then the Rebecca threads here would not be this long.the evidence is simply not convincing - unless there is still evidence , the public has not seen - thats why news organizatons and rebecca's family wants or had this unsealed, e.g cellphone records etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
The article states that they quickly changed their viewpoint to suicide because the evidence was overwhelming.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pach For This Useful Post:
  #190  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:56 AM
CDS22 CDS22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
if the evidence was overwhelming, then the Rebecca threads here would not be this long.the evidence is simply not convincing - unless there is still evidence , the public has not seen - thats why news organizatons and rebecca's family wants or had this unsealed, e.g cellphone records etc
Just because you or others don't find the evidence overwhelming, doesn't mean that it wasn't. Four independent investigations found the suicide evidence overwhelming.
  #191  
Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
the evidence can point to suicide as a theory, but the evidence is not convincing because it can also point to a murder theory. therefore, this should be declared "undetermined" cause in the higher interest of truth, thats the reason majority of posters are calling for reopening the case since there are a lot of holes in the suicide theory as mentioned.

now, if this LA. Times story is another PR offensive , thats another topic.
The majority of posters aren't LE and haven't seen all the evidence. The evidence in totality conviced LE that suicide was more than just a theory. There is evidence the public has not seen. If the ME views it as conclusive, I seriously doubt he will change the death certificate at this point without new evidence.

JMO
The Following User Says Thank You to MyBelle For This Useful Post:
  #192  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:02 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
if the evidence was overwhelming, then the Rebecca threads here would not be this long.the evidence is simply not convincing - unless there is still evidence , the public has not seen - thats why news organizatons and rebecca's family wants or had this unsealed, e.g cellphone records etc
With all due respect, not all evidence was released to the public. The news organizations wanted documents unsealed because RN's attorney was implying a cover-up and influence peddling was involved. The unsealed documents help show that there was a very thorough investigation.

JMO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyBelle For This Useful Post:
  #193  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 AM
deanna82437's Avatar
deanna82437 deanna82437 is offline
The dead can't cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post
The LA Times reporter also mentions that the investigator who initially suspected homicide changed his opinion after finding the journal, farewell note and only her DNA on the rope around her neck. None of that points to homicide, it points to a suicide.

JMO
Do you have a link to that article in the LA Times? TIA
__________________

"Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent." - Adam Smith
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deanna82437 For This Useful Post:
  #194  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Pach Pach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 142
it is not just "mere" posters but 3rd party experts such as polygrapher, etc that are questioning the results. this was already pointed out in previous threads/posts. additionally, the newly released evidence just raises even more questions rather than satifying the doubters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
Just because you or others don't find the evidence overwhelming, doesn't mean that it wasn't. Four independent investigations found the suicide evidence overwhelming.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pach For This Useful Post:
  #195  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS22 View Post
Just because you or others don't find the evidence overwhelming, doesn't mean that it wasn't. Four independent investigations found the suicide evidence overwhelming.
And reporters can see for themselves with the unsealed documents that there was no rush to cover-up anything.

JMO
  #196  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 AM
CDS22 CDS22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
it is not just "mere" posters but 3rd party experts such as polygrapher, etc that are questioning the results. this was already pointed out in previous threads/posts. additionally, the newly released evidence just raises even more questions rather than satifying the doubters.
They don't have all the evidence that the LE do. Also, it must be said that some of these naysayers are being paid by the Zahau family for their help.
The Following User Says Thank You to CDS22 For This Useful Post:
  #197  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 AM
SophieRose SophieRose is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
the head injuries can support at least 2 theories- the going over the iron rail(staged suicide or voluntary suicide) or she was bonked on the head by a perp.
When was she bonked? How did this perp get the body to the balcony without leaving any footprints and why wasn't there dragging found on the carpet or the balcony?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SophieRose For This Useful Post:
  #198  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Pach Pach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 142
the problem is that the investigation does not appear thorough at all. what makes you say it was thorough ?? look at all the sub-threads that has spawned from the mother of all rebecca threads...., the only motivation i get from posting here is to find the truth, I get bothered when not every aspect is investigated. if it turns out its suicide then fine, if its a murder fine too, but in either case, the evidence has to be convincing that can stand the rigors of cross-examination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post
With all due respect, not all evidence was released to the public. The news organizations wanted documents unsealed because RN's attorney was implying a cover-up and influence peddling was involved. The unsealed documents help show that there was a very thorough investigation.

JMO
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pach For This Useful Post:
  #199  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 AM
MyBelle MyBelle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pach View Post
the head injuries can support at least 2 theories- the going over the iron rail(staged suicide or voluntary suicide) or she was bonked on the head by a perp.
There is no evidence a perp was in the room with her or on the balcony with her, thus the conclusion that her death was suicide.

JMO
The Following User Says Thank You to MyBelle For This Useful Post:
  #200  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Pach Pach is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 142
I said "theories" for goodness sakes the so-called suicide is a theory, just as the bonking is a possible theory. as for the prints on the balcony, you need to backread the other threads where it was mentioned that there is another print that was not mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieRose View Post
When was she bonked? How did this perp get the body to the balcony without leaving any footprints and why wasn't there dragging found on the carpet or the balcony?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pach For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA Rebecca Zahau Nalepa Suicide or Murder? Media links&Timelines ONLY-NO DISCUSSION Salem Rebecca Zahau Nalepa Reference Forum 135 12-27-2013 09:53 AM
CA - Rebecca Zahau Nalepa - suicide or murder? #11 Salem Rebecca Zahau Nalepa 740 09-15-2011 01:57 AM
CA - Rebecca Zahau Nalepa - suicide or murder? #10 Salem Rebecca Zahau Nalepa General Discussion Threads 1142 09-09-2011 12:58 PM
POLL- What will happen at Rebecca Zahau's briefing 9/2/11? arielilane Rebecca Zahau Nalepa General Discussion Threads 3 09-02-2011 11:07 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!