Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads

Notices


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #226  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:58 AM
StrayKat StrayKat is offline
Meowww
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom54 View Post
I don't get the reference to CS and Starbucks... what am I missing??

TIA!
I was just wondering why her mom mentioned Starbucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to StrayKat For This Useful Post:
  #227  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
holly2325 holly2325 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliecog View Post
I'm not too sure about this tweet either. I wonder if he tweeted more about his Bloomington visit? If this is the only btown related tweet, that would be fishy though.
Does the Runcible Spoon accept credit cards?

tks
-holly
The Following User Says Thank You to holly2325 For This Useful Post:
  #228  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Jupiter812 Jupiter812 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter812 View Post
Stepping away from the circus and back to the case, I wonder which of the following applies to DB's Runcible Spoon tweet:
  • He was not a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet before she was reported missing.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made a coded tweet to communicate the deed was done.

Other?
Number 3 is only possible if he was seen by others while visiting; otherwise why would he place himself in Bloomington.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jupiter812 For This Useful Post:
  #229  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
holly2325 holly2325 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter812 View Post
Number 3 is only possible if he was seen by others while visiting; otherwise why would he place himself in Bloomington.
4. To give the impression he was still in town and never left.

Not that I have a theory about this. Just throwing out a possibility.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to holly2325 For This Useful Post:
  #230  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Jupiter812 Jupiter812 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
4. To give the impression he was still in town and never left.

Not that I have a theory about this. Just throwing out a possibility.
Ah, yes. Good one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jupiter812 For This Useful Post:
  #231  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 PM
bx2 bx2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliecog View Post
We're not central, we're eastern
Right, if you look at the screen capture of the tweet, it has the time noted as noon. It is pertinent to understand the time zone of whoever captured it, in this case Central, in order to figure out the time it was actually sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
Does the Runcible Spoon accept credit cards?
Yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to bx2 For This Useful Post:
  #232  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM
AbbeyR AbbeyR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
4. To give the impression he was still in town and never left.

Not that I have a theory about this. Just throwing out a possibility.
But if someone had just committed a serious crime, don't you think that they would realize that a tweet alone would be useless as an alibi, while using their cell phone to tweet would easily pin point their location?

If code, it seems there would be a lot of easier ways to communicate with JR rather than publicly setting yourself up to be caught in a lie. Also, why wouldn't JR and DB have just used each other as an alibi and to confirm their story about LS, if they were both involved? I find it hard to believe that DB, if present, would have totally avoided all suspicion. I think more likely, if he was visiting JR, it was established early on that he was not a POI, because he was not around that night or for some other reason.

Also, when someone only has a few tweets, it's very hard to tell what is or isn't normal for them. I didn't find it weird at all.

Just my opinion.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AbbeyR For This Useful Post:
  #233  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
imkeylime imkeylime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx2 View Post
The tweet was 100% 1:00pm ET/10:00am PT. Not sure how you are realizing JR wasn't with him; if DB was the out of town guest, I'd fully expect both of them to have been there.

Here's a capture, the commenter who provided this made sure to note that they are located in the Central time zone.
Thank you! Well, I guess it's logical that JR would be with him if DB was his guest, unless he was on his way home with someone else or meeting somebody. For some reason, I was thinking it was 10 am EST ... and that JR might be sleeping since he'd stayed up with LS. Then again ...

Last edited by imkeylime; 09-26-2011 at 01:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to imkeylime For This Useful Post:
  #234  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM
imkeylime imkeylime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayKat View Post
Thanks, she seems to choose her every word to the public very carefully. I think they want us the public to know exactly who they are targeting. IMO
Hmmm ... I'm not sure, StrayKat. Sometimes I think that, but other times I think that she processes by getting stuff out there, perhaps to see how others will respond, even. I also think she must be extremely exhausted, which might inhibit being careful. JMO.

I myself have flip-flopped on what she said. I don't even know if the PsOI have campus jobs ... I can't see them doing that, actually. They wouldn't have the need financially, and jobs get in the way of other activities. So that part of the statement implies more of a random abduction to me.

Re: Starbucks, though ... I realize on second thought that most kids love going there. So that might refer to almost anybody, PsOI, other student, whoever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imkeylime For This Useful Post:
  #235  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:32 PM
holly2325 holly2325 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyR View Post
But if someone had just committed a serious crime, don't you think that they would realize that a tweet alone would be useless as an alibi, while using their cell phone to tweet would easily pin point their location?

If code, it seems there would be a lot of easier ways to communicate with JR rather than publicly setting yourself up to be caught in a lie. Also, why wouldn't JR and DB have just used each other as an alibi and to confirm their story about LS, if they were both involved? I find it hard to believe that DB, if present, would have totally avoided all suspicion. I think more likely, if he was visiting JR, it was established early on that he was not a POI, because he was not around that night or for some other reason.

Also, when someone only has a few tweets, it's very hard to tell what is or isn't normal for them. I didn't find it weird at all.

Just my opinion.

Like I said, not necessarily my theory, but DB could be a MPOI. An appearance at a restaurant could give the illusion that he was not hiding anything nor in any hurry to get out of town. This tweet would not qualify as an alibi, just an effort to throw off suspicion. And like you, I don't find a tweet from a restaurant weird either. But I do find it odd that HT references a friend from home yet this person's name has never surfaced. Even in the context of sleeping in another room, out at another party or collaborating JR's story.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to holly2325 For This Useful Post:
  #236  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:45 PM
AbbeyR AbbeyR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
An appearance at a restaurant could give the illusion that he was not hiding anything nor in any hurry to get out of town.
That's true...if they actually went there. I'm really just skeptical that someone worried enough about getting caught that they were trying to build an alibi or speak in code, would place themselves in a public place in Bloomington, using a cell phone, if they were really already out of town.

And yeah, he could be an MPOI... but why would the Spierers, who have gone so far as to include photos of the POI at the last public event, not give any indication that an out of town guest may be important to the story?

Again, not jumping on your post, just thinking (/typing) out loud...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbbeyR For This Useful Post:
  #237  
Old 09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
jenbo1 jenbo1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 14
I love Websleuths! I must admit that I have been just a reader. I am 40 years old now, but when I was in college at UGA, LS could have been me or any of my friends. We were doing the same things that are rumored to have been going on-partying-out at all hours of the night-etc., and that was 20 years ago! I can only imagine how much worse it is now! I think this is why the case intrigues me so much. I can remember thinking that all of my "friends" were really "friends"-and I am sure that LS thought the same thing. In all that I have read, while a stranger abduction is certainly possible, it seems more probable that one or more of her "friends" had something to do with her disappearance. I read the new replies here every day. I check for updates every day. It troubles me that there is no new news and that it is taking so long for LE to find LS. I have read stories of others who have been missing for 20, 30, 40 + years, and I just hope that this does not go on like that. Anyway, thanks for keeping this thread going!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jenbo1 For This Useful Post:
  #238  
Old 09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Jupiter812 Jupiter812 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyR View Post
That's true...if they actually went there. I'm really just skeptical that someone worried enough about getting caught that they were trying to build an alibi or speak in code, would place themselves in a public place in Bloomington, using a cell phone, if they were really already out of town.

And yeah, he could be an MPOI... but why would the Spierers, who have gone so far as to include photos of the POI at the last public event, not give any indication that an out of town guest may be important to the story?

Again, not jumping on your post, just thinking (/typing) out loud...
5. Not a coded message but to establish that he was in fact in town and never left.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jupiter812 For This Useful Post:
  #239  
Old 09-26-2011, 02:15 PM
holly2325 holly2325 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyR View Post
That's true...if they actually went there. I'm really just skeptical that someone worried enough about getting caught that they were trying to build an alibi or speak in code, would place themselves in a public place in Bloomington, using a cell phone, if they were really already out of town.

And yeah, he could be an MPOI... but why would the Spierers, who have gone so far as to include photos of the POI at the last public event, not give any indication that an out of town guest may be important to the story?

Again, not jumping on your post, just thinking (/typing) out loud...
Hi Alliecog edit to AbbeyR, sorry
My post assumes that the tweet came from the Runcible Spoon. And (IF) DB knows or is involved, he did whatever he did, then came back to Bloomington and placed himself in public to give the illusion that he had nothing to hide. I am not saying this is what happened, but I think if a person did take LS away there could have been some cold hearted/risky/foolhardy efforts made later to divert suspicion.

And a mention by HT of a friend from home with JR and no plea from the Spierers for other students to come forward to confirm sightings of this guest Thursday or any days before. I don't see them giving this a pass. I am as confused as you are.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to holly2325 For This Useful Post:
  #240  
Old 09-26-2011, 02:32 PM
imkeylime imkeylime is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
4. To give the impression he was still in town and never left.

Not that I have a theory about this. Just throwing out a possibility.
If he was visiting for the weekend and decided to leave before LS was reported missing, it might look weird to his parents (unless he has his own place and doesn't check in). I'm not saying he'd decide to leave even after the report, just that we don't know much about his stay. I'd hope his parents would want to know when/why he left if he didn't stay the expected time (providing he was actually there, of course).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imkeylime For This Useful Post:
  #241  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
TobyWong* TobyWong* is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forum Purgatory
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter812 View Post
Stepping away from the circus and back to the case, I wonder which of the following applies to DB's Runcible Spoon tweet:
  • He was not a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet.

  • He was a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet before she was reported missing.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made a coded tweet to communicate the deed was done.

Other?
BBM IMO if he were a guest of jr then by 1pm I would think there would already be gossiping going on as to where Lauren disappeared to. especially since jw was already searching and ht seems to have a line to everyone. Soo to me both db and jr would've woken to the questions especially if cr was suppsedly asking if anyone had seen the lilttle blond girl .And cr lives but 2 doors down from jr.
I can be silly cuz when I read about the tweet, i thought it was code and thought it was because both db & jr are from right near me here in MI and we have some of the best corned beef deli's. One within blocks of jr's house. I know random and just me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TobyWong* For This Useful Post:
  #242  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
bloom54 bloom54 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bloomington IN
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyWong* View Post
BBM IMO if he were a guest of jr then by 1pm I would think there would already be gossiping going on as to where Lauren disappeared to. especially since jw was already searching and ht seems to have a line to everyone. Soo to me both db and jr would've woken to the questions especially if cr was suppsedly asking if anyone had seen the lilttle blond girl .And cr lives but 2 doors down from jr.
I can be silly cuz when I read about the tweet, i thought it was code and thought it was because both db & jr are from right near me here in MI and we have some of the best corned beef deli's. One within blocks of jr's house. I know random and just me.
I believe your timing is off. JW didn't start searching until after he got the phone from Sports -- so that was in the afternoon. In addition, I think we've established that it was really the NEXT day that CR was asking about "the little blonde girl" -- someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bloom54 For This Useful Post:
  #243  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:14 PM
bloom54 bloom54 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bloomington IN
Posts: 373
Bo Dietl apologized on Don Imus show...

from the Herald Times

Quote:
But he did apologize publicly to “the great state of Indiana and Bloomington,” telling Imus he wasn’t going to say more. When Imus asked what was wrong, Dietl replied, “I feel bad. Sometimes I open my mouth and don’t think before I talk.”
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bloom54 For This Useful Post:
  #244  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 PM
plaidmom plaidmom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayKat View Post
I was just wondering why her mom mentioned Starbucks.
Link please?

I missed that comment.

TIA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plaidmom For This Useful Post:
  #245  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:29 PM
cluciano63's Avatar
cluciano63 cluciano63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Link please?

I missed that comment.

TIA.
I don't have the link, but I believe it was from the recent concert, as in "when he (referring to the perp) is drinking his Starbucks, is he thinking of what he did", kind of thing...
__________________
Just my opinion, of course.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:
  #246  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 PM
holly2325 holly2325 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 139
Link from Daily Beast "Is he going to Starbucks"

http://tinyurl.com/3g7n4ms

"What’s this person doing?” she continues, seeming to follow every move of the man in her mind’s eye. “Is he going to work? Is he getting his Starbucks? What’s he doing and how is he doing it?”


Wow, I think CS is just on overload. JR wouldn't be going to work. What about his alleged guest. Would he be going to work?
Hmmm?????
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to holly2325 For This Useful Post:
  #247  
Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM
cluciano63's Avatar
cluciano63 cluciano63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
http://tinyurl.com/3g7n4ms

"What’s this person doing?” she continues, seeming to follow every move of the man in her mind’s eye. “Is he going to work? Is he getting his Starbucks? What’s he doing and how is he doing it?”


Wow, I think CS is just on overload. JR wouldn't be going to work. What about his alleged guest. Would he be going to work?
Hmmm?????
Or else she is keeping all options open...going to work could refer to an unknown person, getting Starbucks more to a student...JMO
__________________
Just my opinion, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to cluciano63 For This Useful Post:
  #248  
Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
AnalyticalExaminer AnalyticalExaminer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
http://tinyurl.com/3g7n4ms

"What’s this person doing?” she continues, seeming to follow every move of the man in her mind’s eye. “Is he going to work? Is he getting his Starbucks? What’s he doing and how is he doing it?”


Wow, I think CS is just on overload. JR wouldn't be going to work. What about his alleged guest. Would he be going to work?
Hmmm?????
I think it's important to note that these comments are not necessarily her present thoughts, but the thoughts she has had over the last few months. Which includes the Summer. I would imagine that any and all of the POIs would have Summer jobs, but when I hear work, I think of DB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalyticalExaminer For This Useful Post:
  #249  
Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM
holly2325 holly2325 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
Does anyone else believe that if RS/CS don't know these things they must not have a very good PI.

1. who was present at 5 North Townhomes June 2/3
2. which vehicles were available,
3 who texted/called who that night and the following days among LS,JW,CR,JR,MB, DR,AB,DB,HT
4. who contacted their parents and what time
5. what time DR entered Smallwood and what time he next exited
6. if HT called JR before JW contacted HT
7. if DB was at the Runcible spoon
8. If CR bought LS a drink (Class B misdemeanor)
9. Who interacts now among CR, MB, JR, AB, HT
10. The statements verbatum of the 10 POIs.
11. MB's computer usage 6/2
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to holly2325 For This Useful Post:
  #250  
Old 09-26-2011, 06:23 PM
plaidmom plaidmom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly2325 View Post
http://tinyurl.com/3g7n4ms

"What’s this person doing?” she continues, seeming to follow every move of the man in her mind’s eye. “Is he going to work? Is he getting his Starbucks? What’s he doing and how is he doing it?”


Wow, I think CS is just on overload. JR wouldn't be going to work. What about his alleged guest. Would he be going to work?
Hmmm?????
Thanks. That puts the "Starbucks" quote into context for me. I think that "Starbucks" is just the new generic term for "coffee".

I'm not sure she pointing a finger here. Just wondering how on earth any human being with a conscience could go about their daily ritual, knowing that they had caused harm to, or taken the life of, another human being.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to plaidmom For This Useful Post:
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #22 SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads 803 08-29-2011 03:33 AM
IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #18 bessie Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads 655 07-22-2011 03:19 AM
IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #15 bessie Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads 639 07-05-2011 09:32 AM
IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #11 bessie Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads 737 06-26-2011 12:05 PM
IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #7 bessie Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads 707 06-19-2011 08:51 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!