Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 PM

You know, that terrible story above kind of made me think... All this time, I've thought that the odds that a stranger was involved in Lauren's disappearance were very low -- based both on the facts of the story and behavior from certain POI. But crazy random violence does happen and sometimes I wonder if that night could have just been a perfect storm of bad circumstances.

Check out this article from IDS (the student paper in Bloomington) from March 2011:

Local Man arrested in assault, robbery investigation. While the title says "Local man", the article is actually about two guys suspected of assaults in the Bloomington area where girls were knocked down and robbed/assaulted on the way home from bars late at night -- in one case described, breaking the woman's jaw.

Quote:
The suspects appeared to target female IU students who were walking home from the downtown area late at night, or from other areas students might frequent, such as restaurants or apartment complexes, according to the release.
(!) Scary, huh? Scarier to do a search of "assault" on this website and see how many stories come up, given how many people have described feeling totally safe walking home in this area alone late at night. Anyway, I'm not suggesting that there is a link between these cases... I hope these people were both in jail by then (although it's not clear from this article). It just has me wondering if I'm maybe a little naive about the possibilities of random violence, and reconsidering some of the scenarios I dismissed early on in this case...

Last edited by AbbeyR; 10-28-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AbbeyR For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkeylime View Post
I'm trying to recreate it ... 1. CR gave her a ride on his back since she had no shoes and it fell from her wrist, 2. she stumbled and dropped it without noticing, 3. something spooked her and she dropped it, 4. she was carrying something else and it slipped out of her hand. The last has happened to me (keys vs. keys with a wristlet), but IDK what she would have been carrying. I opt for 1. or 2. With either, the fact that she didn't notice could validate her condition, as you note.
I also opt for 1 or 2. I can't help but think of the disturbing image suggested by TG's witness (although I know the time and place doesn't match) of her stumbling, falling and being thrown over someone's shoulder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbbeyR For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyR View Post
You know, that terrible story above kind of made me think... All this time, I've thought that the odds that a stranger was involved in Lauren's disappearance were very low -- based both on the facts of the story and behavior from certain POI. But crazy random violence does happen and sometimes I wonder if that night could have just been a perfect storm of bad circumstances.

Check out this article from IDS (the student paper in Bloomington) from March 2011:

Local Man arrested in assault, robbery investigation. While the title says "Local man", the article is actually about two guys suspected of assaults in the Bloomington area where girls were knocked down and robbed/assaulted on the way home from bars late at night -- in one case described, breaking the woman's jaw.

(!) Scary, huh? Scarier to do a search of "assault" on this website and see how many stories come up, given how many people have described feeling totally safe walking home in this area alone late at night. Anyway, I'm not suggesting that there is a link between these cases... I hope these people were both in jail by then (although it's not clear from this article). It just has me wondering if I'm maybe a little naive about the possibilities of random violence, and reconsidering some of the scenarios I dismissed early on in this case...
BBM
So true about the "perfect storm" - considering all the times when people (including myself) have been in a vulnerable situation and nothing bad happens; this could be that one-in-a-millionth time when some bad does happen.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Carina's resemblance to LS is downright eerie IMHO...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bloom54 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Location: Where our Governors actually make our license plates
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyR View Post
I also opt for 1 or 2. I can't help but think of the disturbing image suggested by TG's witness (although I know the time and place doesn't match) of her stumbling, falling and being thrown over someone's shoulder.
I think I can speak for most of us who have had too much to drink at one point in our lives. All of a sudden, something that sets our adrenaline going sobers us up a bit so that we realize a bit of reality. No matter how drunk you may be, you know danger. I believe Lauren may have dropped those items for a reason, as in, "help me." Perhaps the perp took her and threw her over his shoulder. Her first instinct is to get help but no one could hear her screams, so she drops her belongings, as if to tell us something went wrong here, look for me, help me.

JMOO
Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosmom View Post
I think I can speak for most of us who have had too much to drink at one point in our lives. All of a sudden, something that sets our adrenaline going sobers us up a bit so that we realize a bit of reality. No matter how drunk you may be, you know danger. I believe Lauren may have dropped those items for a reason, as in, "help me." Perhaps the perp took her and threw her over his shoulder. Her first instinct is to get help but no one could hear her screams, so she drops her belongings, as if to tell us something went wrong here, look for me, help me.

JMOO
The timing seems off, though. I believe the keys/wristlet were found almost immediately after LS and CR walked through the alley ... her being carried off at that point makes little sense unless everyone is lying from that point on. That could be the case, but it begs the question as to why MB and JR would put themselves on the line and say she made it to SW ... unless they, too, were involved.

I agree that you can sense danger when intoxicated ... but not so much if you've totally passed out.

IDK ... but it does seem like a pivotal part of the night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imkeylime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 AM
WS Super Moderator

I hoped we wouldn't need a thread #26, but this one has gotten long. Maybe a new thread will bring new progress in bringing Lauren home.

Please continue here...

IN-Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #26

I don't even know to this day what I meant by what I said.
Casey Anthony, bankruptcy/Zenaida Gonzalez deposition, 01/23/2014