Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Up to the Minute

Notices

Up to the Minute Breaking news happening right now! (This is not for crime news. Please post breaking crime in the "Crimes in the News" forum).

Old 09-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Post Particles found to break speed of light

GENEVA, Sept 22 (Reuters) - An international team of scientists said on Thursday they had recorded sub-atomic particles travelling faster than light -- a finding that could overturn one of Einstein's long-accepted fundamental laws of the universe.

Antonio Ereditato, spokesman for the researchers, told Reuters that measurements taken over three years showed neutrinos pumped from CERN near Geneva to Gran Sasso in Italy had arrived 60 nanoseconds quicker than light would have done.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7KM4CW20110922

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dark Knight For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 04:54 PM

Bazinga!
Old 09-22-2011, 04:56 PM
"It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."

Hmm. Way above my intelligence level, but still cool!

Have you ever seen that "Through the Wormhole" with Morgan Freeman? It is very interesting! Half the time I have no idea what that are talking about, but they "dumb" it down for me by showing cute little animations. They had a whole show about the string theory that was very interesting. Don't ask me to explain it, though!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justbeachy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM

brian greene is good at making this stuff easy to understand, not to mention he's a bit easy on the eyes.
The Following User Says Thank You to aspiring drifter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM

brian greene is good at making this stuff easy to understand, not to mention he's a bit easy on the eyes. and no, not brian austin green! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to aspiring drifter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 AM

So ... wait ... I'm heading to bed atm. I don't have the energy to read up on this until tomorrow, so ... does this new discovery mean/prove that neutrinos are tachyons?

ETA: If what I *did* read is correct ... holy carps!
The impossible will take a little while
I say I'll care forever
And I mean forever
If I have to hold up the sky
Crazy he calls me
Sure, I'm crazy
Crazy in love am I"

I Love You DH and 9YO!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Interrobang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM

My science knowledge comes from "Star Trek." Could we get the speed of the neutrinos in warp factors?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Kind words do not cost much

I'll wait to see if the test results can be duplicated.

I have a very vague memory of a test result that was supposed to rock the science world and it was found that the test results couldn't be duplicated. After a few years of trying it was debunked. I'll think on it and see if I can remember which one it was. I want to say it involved scientist's in CA. I'll try to remember.

ETA: I can't recall the one I was thinking of and for some reason I think it was about a semiconductor. There was one back in the early 2000's that I did remember that was about new additions to the periodic table that had to be retracted. This isn't unusual so that's why I'm going to wait and see what happens. JMHO Yes I'm a geek but not a science geek. I'm a reading geek, I have no discretion when it comes to reading. I'll read anything (which is why I have a mish mash of trivial and useless facts crammed into my head thank you very much)

Last edited by Kat; 09-23-2011 at 06:56 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 07:19 PM

I'd feel a lot better about this finding if it was 10 times the speed of light or something like that. The way I figure it, it's only about 240 millionths of 1% (.000240%) faster than light. Certainly a huge finding if it's true but an error is possible when it's that close, I think - maybe some curved space factor.

Stan Reid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STANDREID For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post

I have a very vague memory of a test result that was supposed to rock the science world and it was found that the test results couldn't be duplicated. After a few years of trying it was debunked. I'll think on it and see if I can remember which one it was. I want to say it involved scientist's in CA. I'll try to remember.

ETA: I can't recall the one I was thinking of and for some reason I think it was about a semiconductor. There was one back in the early 2000's that I did remember that was about new additions to the periodic table that had to be retracted. This isn't unusual so that's why I'm going to wait and see what happens. JMHO Yes I'm a geek but not a science geek. I'm a reading geek, I have no discretion when it comes to reading. I'll read anything (which is why I have a mish mash of trivial and useless facts crammed into my head thank you very much)
Happens all the time (and not usually because of fraud in testing). It's just the way science works and, unfortunately, the really bad science reporting we get from the media. Each new discovery is headline news, but the disclaimer that conclusions may be premature is buried at the end of the article.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 PM
"We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass

WooHooTime traveling is coming!!
I'm gonna start saving now for my Delorean-but I want a red one!!

"It's time to tell the story of a little girl named Caylee" Linda Drane Burdick
The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to essies For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post

Cold Fusion and the University of Utah kinda fit your description.

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/courses/...old_fusion.htm

It took only a handful of people to convince the general public worldwide into believing that a limitless, clean energy source was just around the corner. A combination of foolishness, greed, and carelessness played a role in creating one of the biggest scientific blunders of the century. At the top of the list of these people are B. Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann, whose claim of accomplishing a successful cold nuclear fusion experiment set the scientific community and pretty much the rest of the world wondering about what the future would bring.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay D For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Kind words do not cost much

Thank you Jay D!

Yes that was the one I was thinking about from the early 00's.

There was also another that I vaguely remember that was about a semiconductor. Like Nova said it's not that uncommon to have it either disproved or sometimes even data amended ( I think that's a polite way of saying fraud sometimes)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 PM
chien méchant

And how does a tabloid tackle this complex subject?

'I'll eat my shorts if they're right': Physicist dismisses 'discovery' of particles that can travel faster than the speed of light
Quote:
---
Others were more cynical. Jim Al-Khalili, Professor of Physics at the University of Surrey, said: ‘Let me put my money where my mouth is: if the CERN experiment proves to be correct and neutrinos have broken the speed of light, I will eat my boxer shorts on live TV.’
---
the rest at Daily Mail link above
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post: