Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Caylee Anthony 2 years old

Notices

Caylee Anthony 2 years old Not reported missing for a month after she was last seen.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Baez no longer represents Casey--it's finally legal

Steve Helling @stevehelling
It's official: #JoseBaez has filed a withdrawal of counsel. He no longer represents #CaseyAnthony.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM

bob kealing @bobkealing
#JoseBaez makes it official. No longer representing #CaseyAnthony. Motion filed today. Name crossed off the clerk's docket.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM

Baez no longer represents Casey--it's finally legal

Bye Bye Baez: Jose's Off Casey Case
Jose Baez Files Paperwork To Remove Self

http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-ex...28/detail.html

From the Orange County Clerk of the Courts:

02/21/2012 Notice of Withdrawal
of Attorney of Record
Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM
WS Administrator

I'm opening this thread for discussion - BUT any bashing or vereing off topic and I will close it up. This is to discuss JB's removal as ICA's attorney - NOTHING ELSE.

Thanks,

Salem
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Verified Juanette

Does this mean he cannot secure her any interviews or book deals? Or can he be her 'agent' instead?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM
WS Administrator

It means, I think because I have not seen the paperwork, that he no longer legally represents her. So.... it is highly doubtful he would represent her in any contract deals - because that would be legal representation and he is off the record. I don't think he would still be her "agent." He's done

Salem
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Peace Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
Does this mean he cannot secure her any interviews or book deals? Or can he be her 'agent' instead?
That's an interesting question and one AZLawyer may be able to answer. Seems to me those would be two different "categories".

We speculated about FCA removing Baez or Baez removing himself a month or so ago - I'm wondering if he was waiting for some kind of payout from one of his TMZ deals or something like that. It would make sense to me to get that completed before officially signing off.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM

I'm a little shocked to be honest. I would have thought he would have held on longer just to make sure he doesn't get cheated out of any interview money. But it does make me really happy because imo he was the only one who supposedly believed she was truly innocent. If CM wanted her to plea deal we all know what he really thinks. Now we can all just hope and pray she screws up again without it harming anyone or anything!

Last edited by MaryAnn; 02-21-2012 at 07:54 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MaryAnn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Well...lookie lookie what we have here...I guess it was a good time to take a break from working on an assignment.

Has any media outlet shown the complete copy of the Notice to Withdraw?

So What took so long for Baez to file the notice to withdraw?
If Cheney Mason's statement is true, that Baez stopped representing Casey once she was sentenced...I am am guessing that is Probation...that was over 6 months ago...

--------------------------------------------------
"There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Intermezzo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,4739013.story

Baez still faces a pair of Florida Bar complaints stemming from the case, one of which involves his failure to share discovery information with the prosecution as the trial loomed.

--------------------------------------------------
"There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Hopefully he gets paid more than $3.00 and hour (slave wages) for his speaking engagements? IF Casey and Jose had some kind of falling out, you can bet that Casey will not allow him to profit off her or Caylee's name (books, interviews, etc...). She'll sue him in a New York minute for breaching attorney/client privilege.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 PM

Does this match up with his statement about him not representing her/his job was over after the trial?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Insomniac Extraordinaire

So very interesting. I am left to wonder about the greater implications of this as well as the backstory to it. Obviously it is no longer profitable to him and he has seen that there will never be a payoff for defending her. She has probably just used him all up and has gone one to finding bigger people to use. I wonder if he will ever realize or acknowledge that she was guilty and that he allowed a child killer to get away with murder.

GUILTY!!!

Cyrus C. convicted of 2004 arson in Harvey, La. that killed 4 people, including his 19-month-old daughter, his teenage girlfriend, the girlfriend's mom and GF's young brother (age 11). He was acquitted in 2008 (state charges) in 2008 and found GUILTY (federal charges) in 2013

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...d_of_2004.html
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SwampMama For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 PM
''I'm sorry if that sounds selfish, sweetie, but it's me! Me! Me! Me!''

Hey, do we know who called it quits or why? Did he leave because he wanted to, or because he felt it was simply time to? Or did she "fire" him? I know there were rumors since the trial that they weren't getting along, or not even rumors as much as just pure speculation based on how they behaved towards each other.

Also, and PLEASE don't fry me for saying this, but I think that she was a HUGE boost to his career. Personally, if I were in his shoes I would never want to be associated with her at all, but, there are people out there requiring a defender who would see him as being very successful. JMO.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DaughterAlice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Peace Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intermezzo View Post
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,4739013.story

Baez still faces a pair of Florida Bar complaints stemming from the case, one of which involves his failure to share discovery information with the prosecution as the trial loomed.
I especially like the part you bolded.... ...and the article talks about Mason saying Baez was off the case the day the trial ended...methinks there is a little discord in them thar defense ranks...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Peace Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterAlice View Post
Hey, do we know who called it quits or why? Did he leave because he wanted to, or because he felt it was simply time to? Or did she "fire" him? I know there were rumors since the trial that they weren't getting along, or not even rumors as much as just pure speculation based on how they behaved towards each other.

Also, and PLEASE don't fry me for saying this, but I think that she was a HUGE boost to his career. Personally, if I were in his shoes I would never want to be associated with her at all, but, there are people out there requiring a defender who would see him as being very successful. JMO.
What's to forgive? Who knew who Jose Baez was before this trial? Famous or infamous - most folks now know that name....
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM
For nothing is secret that will not be revealed

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
― Maya Angelou
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to believe09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.

Now that it is official I gotta say all of the original attorney's are now gone. CM joined later and brought LF with him. So I wonder how long before he abandons the MOTY. I can hardly wait.
I need to say this too. I really believe that JB disliked Convicted Casey Anthony as time kept marching on. I feel certain that he really didn't like her the day he told her that she was acting like a two year old but think the feeling was mutual. Don't get me wrong, I still can't stand anything JB. He was clearly in it for fame and fortune and I feel he is going to cut his losses and hope for another high profile case that only comes up once in a lifetime. I personally hope I never see him in action again.

I also need to add that when all of these current lawyers are done, will another lawyer want to touch her with a ten foot pole? I truely believe if I were a lawyer I'd be scared to death to get within a mile of her as I predict she will double cross them sooner or later and I'm surprised it hasen't happened yet.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterAlice View Post

No fry from me - I think you are absolutely correct. Additionally, I think JB may well have realized his liability in continuing to be "officially" associated with her. I think he's banking more on an entertainment-based career than a legal one anyway - and there are a barzillion "guilty" folks out there that will venerate him - until, imho, he actually represents them - so he's gonna throw commentary from the sidelines, give speeches, and "consult" and leave the actual lawyering to those who are better suited.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain
Old 02-21-2012, 08:42 PM

I was thinking that JB has been on TV since the trial ended, discussing the case and saying that he was still representing FCA.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to watcher9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
On the road to Utopia

Maybe JB is just off of the criminal stuff, but still steers the book deal/entertainment ship. Cheney is handling her probation appeal and is probably monitoring the civil case, meanwhile JB is available for national promo's. They haven't acheived anything yet, so I'm sure he's still around, he just has to feed his family...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 PM

skinny jeans...

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BigFatMommyDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanner View Post
Bye Bye Baez: Jose's Off Casey Case
Jose Baez Files Paperwork To Remove Self

http://www.wesh.com/casey-anthony-ex...28/detail.html

From the Orange County Clerk of the Courts:

02/21/2012 Notice of Withdrawal
of Attorney of Record
Rats! I was hoping to read he was under a 91 day suspension by the Florida Bar for misconduct instead.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bayouland For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Call Me Butter, I'm On A Roll

I just want to say
Go away Jose!

I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
كلي
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to gogrannypop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMommyDog View Post
skinny jeans...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to egnarts For This Useful Post: