Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Susan Cox Powell

Notices

Susan Cox Powell Missing from West Valley City, Utah, and last seen on December 6, 2009.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM

The social worker is very lucky to be alive today. Period! This man was evil!!

For anyone who thinks you know exactly what you would do in any & every given scenario...i am here to tell you that, IMO (and experience), you are probably wrong. Dangerous events occur so fluidly and don't follow a script, and IMO it's impossible to know how you will react when stress, stamina, survival mode, and the safety of others all encompass your mind and being at once. What happens in your individual "crisis mode" is, well, very individual.

ETA: Did I post my own post twice? Huh, weird, never done that before...sorry, but... I am feeling it was meant to be, so I am going to leave it!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 PM
Justice for Travis and his family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
For those who don't want to listen to calls: this link has a description of her first 911 call. Now, be careful, it does list her name so don't post it here.

""They have to respond to emergency, life threatening situations first," the dispatcher responds"

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...html?s_cid=s10
How frustrating, she was telling him this is a life threatening situation good grief
Old 02-07-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christee View Post
Are you being scarcastic about posting her name?
I provided a link to the description of her 911 call since some people were afraid to open the files. So I really don't understand what you are trying to imply here.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
Very true in this case, but in other cases.. effective 911 call and response time could save a life.
I agree with you on that. I heard a 911 call from a potential murder victim, where she said nothing because she was hiding from the perp who had broken into her home. Since she said nothing, the 911 operator hung up and did not bother to send police or to call the victim back, which was supposedly protocol. On the call you could hear the person breaking in. So, I do agree that 911 operators needs to be very astute and consider all possibilities of what a situation might be.

In this situation when the SW said two little boys had been let into the home and the door then slammed shut and locked, I think the protocol for getting info like "what is he wearing?" should have been set aside to make way for more pertinent questions to be asked. The SW was clearly in shock but would have been more forthcoming had she been prompted with the right questions. However, I still think it would not have saved Charlie and Braden, as this horror went down too quickly for an effective response by anyone.

I PRAY those little ones were crying only to go home, and not out of fear of what was to come.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Best Behavior is Overrated!!!!

Angry

I am so tired of the second guessing of this poor woman. I just wish that posters would just STOP! None of us were there, so I don't see how judging her for her actions is right. Clearly, she knew these boys were in danger and she tried to tell the 9-11 dispatcher this, but he just seemed indifferent to what she was saying. This is not her fault, she did the best she could under the circumstances. She knew something was seriously wrong, and she acted on it. She is another victim of Josh Powell.

My_Tee_Mouse, thank you for your wonderful post. And thank you for doing a job that often goes unappreciated. (((Hugs)))

Mods, thank you for all of your hard work!

This has to be one of the most devastating cases I've ever followed. I haven't been able to sleep for longer than 45 minutes at night since this happened. I can't imagine how the social worker is faring.

JMO, MOO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.
My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indicat View Post
How frustrating, she was telling him this is a life threatening situation good grief
It doesn't appear that that first 911 call was considered an emergency. It is very frustrating since we all know what had happened since then.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Done. Put a Fork in Me.

People might want to listen to #7 first and then go back to #1 and listen from that point forward. It might make things a bit easier to understand.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Custom User Title goes here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNL View Post
And the make, model and color of her car. Oh, and her license plate #.

I really think all of that should have been redacted.

I also wasn't impressed with the 911 operators.
BBM

Neither was I.
They were snippish, short, curt, and quite frankly, bordering on ignorant.

The only one that impressed me was the one who was talking to JP's sister. She was helpful & put things together.

Call #7, the male operator seems so high & mighty. Like he was just making the contracted social worker repeat herself multiple times & talk in circles before realizing what is really going on. Then he pulls himself back into the conversation, acting as if he understands & wants to know all the details of supervised visitation. What is JP wearing, hair color, height, weight, age....etc. Oh I was just dying on the inside listening.

Social Worker: "How long will it be?"
911 Operator: "I don't know ma'am. They have to respond to emergency, life threatening situations first."

I hope & pray that call #7 from the link provided by ynotdivein is used by whatever county/city 911 call center as a way to NOT handle a call.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:00 AM
WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison

911 Operator: "I don't know ma'am. They have to respond to emergency, life threatening situations first."

That is just WAY out of line, IMO. He made a horrible mistake because now that the whole world gets to hear him, he'll probably lose his job.
The Following 85 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post:
Ada, Aedrys, Alcina, AnaTeresa, AnonymousD, Aqua, Baxter, beach, Blue_Dolphin308, butwhatif?, CarmelEyesD, Cherry Baby, christee, cleo612, Columbo, coopzoo, Cortne, dallasnc, dog.gone.cute, dolfin09, Dr.Fessel, Dum-Dum Sucker, E's mommy, elfie, ERRN1313, Farfalla40, flourish, gitana1, grandmaj, Gypsy Road, hollyblue, imamaze, indicat, Juno, KathrynL, KMouse, koonark, ksnurse, LaLaw2000, LemonCloud, LinasK, LydiaDeetz, MagnoliaMom, Maven2379, menmo, michmi, mimi56, Mosby, my_tee_mouse, noexplanation, packerdog, pam2u4u, Peachy, pharmchick, pip, pjcitizen, PMLsmom, Quiche, Reckless, redfish, rosemary, Sammiejam, shana, sherbetjello, slug, smart blonde, sorrell skye, spamelope, Starry Night, stephieras, sunniTX, TallCoolOne, tezi, theBritster, thefragile7393, TorisMom003, Turnadot, TXredhead178, uvamerica, wenwe4, whisperOFwings, Wise Old Owl, x_files, ynotdivein, Zoe Bogart
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Custom User Title goes here

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_tee_mouse View Post
People might want to listen to #7 first and then go back to #1 and listen from that point forward. It might make things a bit easier to understand.
Absolutely
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AnonymousD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
It doesn't appear that that first 911 call was considered an emergency. It is very frustrating since we all know what had happened since then.
Might you agree that this really was the unthinkable? Don't forget, no matter how you slice it, you are 'monday morning quarterbacking' the situation.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to andalso For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimster View Post

That is just WAY out of line, IMO. He made a horrible mistake because now that the whole world gets to hear him, he'll probably lose his job.
IA he made a horrible mistake and will probably lose his job over that!! I felt terrible listening to the desperation in her voice, for him to only poo-poo her concerns away!!

Also the woman who was talking to his sister kept asking for JP's address, she kept saying she didn't know it, the 911 operator sounded like she wanted her to go over there to tell her where he lived!!! They should never send anyone into a possibly dangerous situation!!

I think they will learn many lessons from this tragic event
(.(. (..`..♥
♥ forever in our hearts♥ TO HONOR CAYLEE'S MEMORY.... R.I.P. Baby girl Fly with Angels

There was no Justice for Caylee
Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousD View Post
BBM

Neither was I.
They were snippish, short, curt, and quite frankly, bordering on ignorant.

The only one that impressed me was the one who was talking to JP's sister. She was helpful & put things together.

Call #7, the male operator seems so high & mighty. Like he was just making the contracted social worker repeat herself multiple times & talk in circles before realizing what is really going on. Then he pulls himself back into the conversation, acting as if he understands & wants to know all the details of supervised visitation. What is JP wearing, hair color, height, weight, age....etc. Oh I was just dying on the inside listening.

Social Worker: "How long will it be?"

I hope & pray that call #7 from the link provided by ynotdivein is used by whatever county/city 911 call center as a way to NOT handle a call.
To get myself in my happy place I imagine that guys supervisor calling him in on his day off. She tells him you know how we tell you we will listen into your calls at anytime to see how you are doing? He says yes. She says well the whole world is listening to this call and you are not getting good reviews.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 AM

I cant listen. This unspeakable horror, its too much for me to take on right now. I was in enough pain when I thought the wee darlings died quickly without knowing... this is too much.

*SOB*
Old 02-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Retired WS Staff

Location: The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...html?s_cid=s10

'In the 911 call, <modsnip> anxiously asks the dispatcher how long it will take for police to arrive.

"They have to respond to emergency, life threatening situations first," the dispatcher responds.

"Well this could be life threatening. He went to court on Wednesday and he didn't get his kids back, and I'm afraid for their lives," <modsnip> says.

She tells dispatchers the children got just a step ahead of her, and when she got to the door, he "shut it in my face. ... He looked right at me and closed the door."

<modsnip>said she knocked and rang the doorbell several times and "begged him to let me in." She then got into her car and backed it out of the driveway because she could smell gasoline. She can be heard in the recording explaining that Powell was part of a high profile case. She said the children were inside the house for about 10 minutes.'

Much more at link

Be not simply good. Be good for something.
HDT

Last edited by bessie; 02-08-2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: redacting names
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Karma got OJ, karma will get CA, and mark my words, the jurors WILL convict JA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezi View Post
I am so tired of the second guessing of this poor woman. I just wish that posters would just STOP! None of us were there, so I don't see how judging her for her actions is right. Clearly, she knew these boys were in danger and she tried to tell the 9-11 dispatcher this, but he just seemed indifferent to what she was saying. This is not her fault, she did the best she could under the circumstances. She knew something was seriously wrong, and she acted on it. She is another victim of Josh Powell.

My_Tee_Mouse, thank you for your wonderful post. And thank you for doing a job that often goes unappreciated. (((Hugs)))

Mods, thank you for all of your hard work!

This has to be one of the most devastating cases I've ever followed. I haven't been able to sleep for longer than 45 minutes at night since this happened. I can't imagine how the social worker is faring.

JMO, MOO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.
No one is bashing this poor woman. I certainly am not. I feel very awful for her. We are examining failures of a broken system in hopes that there will be no future Charlie's and Braden's. New laws must be in place to prevent any POI in a murder case from having home visitation privileges. This poor woman should have never been placed in that dangerous situation. It is not her fault. The WA State system failed Charlie and Braden, and it also failed it's employee by sending her to the home in the first place, and by also not having her as a crisis worker SOLIDLY trained in emergency activation protocol, as all cases workers should be. It is a dangerous business.

Perry, who was dubbed the "Velvet Hammer" by tweeters,
went on to say that he believed there was sufficient evidence to sustain a
first-degree murder conviction

"Justice has been served in the sense that the jury has spoken but justice will
finally be served one day by the Judge of
judges," Perry said during the morning show.
"And she's going to live, deal with this for
the rest of her life."

RIP Caylee Marie

Last edited by pip; 02-08-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 AM
elsewhere

Somewhat OT: Thanks to the Mods for keeping this discussion OT.

Entirely OT: tezi, wishing you well :-)

Last thought: I hope the caseworker is receiving lots of support from those who would provide it to her...family, friends, co-workers and more.

bt/dt
Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shana View Post
Somewhat OT: Thanks to the Mods for keeping this discussion OT.

Entirely OT: tezi, wishing you well :-)

Last thought: I hope the caseworker is receiving lots of support from those who would provide it to her...family, friends, co-workers and more.

bt/dt
Thank you shana.

Thank you again mods. I know your job has been tough the last few days. Please take time to breathe!
My posts are to stay at WS, not to be moved to other forums for their members to judge. I know who is moving posts and this is fair warning. If I want my posts moved to other places, I will do it myself.

The above post is JMO, MOO, MHO, and all other disclaimers. Please leave it here at WS! TIA
Old 02-08-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
No one is bashing this poor woman. I certainly am not. I feel very awful for her. We are examining failures of a broken system in hopes that there will be no future Charlie's and Braden's. New laws must be in place to prevent any POI in a murder case from having home visitation privileges. This poor woman should have never been placed in that dangerous situation. It is not her fault. The WA State system failed Charlie and Braden, and it also failed it's employee by sending her to the home the first place, and by also not having her as a crisis worker SOLIDLY trained in emergency activation protocol, as all cases workers should be. It is a dangerous business.
RBBM: There were posters that were bashing this woman, since the first thread about the explosion. I am sorry if you thought I was implying that you were, because I wasn't. I understand

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tezi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Until they all come home

here's another link where people can listen to the 911 calls:

http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/0...ys-caseworker/
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 AM

oh my gosh.. the male 911 operator wasted valuable time with all the demanding basic questions. I know that is his job.. but the woman was in a panic.. the sarcastic and rude remarks about her supervising herself took up alot of time.. why her license plate.. oh my .. life theatning emergency.. after she told him it was emergency he ignored it..

he should be fired asap

incidentally she said could hear child crying.. and it was about 10 minutes they had been in there.. this gets worse. It was reported 2 minutes after they were there.. so now 10 minutes of pure torment.. sick each development even more so than the last.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Until they all come home

OMG - 911 operator to caseworker:

"wait a minute, you can't supervise yourself if it's a supervised visit"

I've searched all this time for a link to listen at (the other ones wouldn't work for me) and now I'm so freaking frustrated I wish I hadn't bothered.

RIP boys. I'm so sorry.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Until they all come home

btw the link I posted, they've beeped out the social worker's name & phone #
Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 AM

...she knocked and rang the doorbell several times and "begged him to let me in." She then got into her car and backed it out of the driveway because she could smell gasoline."
Powerful words and high drama moves on the SW's part...........what a heroine.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 AM
WS Adminstrator, Verified Posters Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
btw the link I posted, they've beeped out the social worker's name & phone #
Thank goodness!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Kimster For This Useful Post: