Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials > Michelle Young

Notices

Michelle Young Michelle Young, 29 and pregnant was murdered in her North Carolina home. Who killed Michelle?


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:44 PM
pjcitizen pjcitizen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 487
I edited my post above with info I was searching for re: jury instructions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjcitizen For This Useful Post:
  #77  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:48 PM
gracielee's Avatar
gracielee gracielee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: N.C.
Posts: 4,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Medical personnel would have had to testify as to the type of patients at the hospital, and we didn't hear any testimony from hospital employees.
.
Which is exactly why Michelle questioned Shelly Schaad about it. She is 'medical personnel'.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:
  #78  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 PM
otto otto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
I am getting confused. So does the State think he meant to come there and strangle Michelle and something went wrong or he planned all along to beat her with a blunt object in her head?

IMO
There is evidence of attempted strangulation and evidence that after that failed, blunt force with a weapon occurred. Was he wearing size 10 shoes to strangle his wife, or was he wearing the size 12 hush puppies and switched to the size 10 shoes when strangulation failed?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
  #79  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 PM
otto otto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,247
This is funny .. bumbling police officer that was taking a statement regarding the hit and run that my daughter witnessed this morning drove off while she was writing her statement and ... he still has her driver's license. That's a bit like the bumbling officers that took photos of the bathroom but didn't put a ruler in the photo to give scale to the prints.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
  #80  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 PM
otto otto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
Which is exactly why Michelle questioned Shelly Schaad about it. She is 'medical personnel'.
Hospital intake should have testified regarding the type of patients admitted to hospital that day, not a friend of the witness's wife that works at a hospital.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
  #81  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:58 PM
fran fran is offline
WS Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 31,383
Does anyone recall if JY testified as to when he found out his FIL wasn't coming? or when he called his mom's house to say he was coming there?

tia
fran

PS....JusttheFax; was that email entered into evidence? Wonder if JY knows that Raven is waiting trial? tia,fran
  #82  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM
dja230 dja230 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 42
I apologize if this has been said before but when JY found out is wife was did, did he rush to get his daughter to make sure she was all right and safe, and stay with her because of the trauma she had been through with her beloved mother now dead? I feel I know the answer but would like confirmation.
  #83  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:07 PM
fromageball fromageball is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Hospital intake should have testified regarding the type of patients admitted to hospital that day, not a friend of the witness's wife that works at a hospital.
I don't remember the details of the accident...but would the person necessarily have even been taken to Shelley's hospital?

Last edited by fromageball; 03-03-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: words
The Following User Says Thank You to fromageball For This Useful Post:
  #84  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:07 PM
dja230 dja230 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 42
Sorry for misspelled words, in a hurry.
  #85  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:12 PM
otto otto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromageball View Post
I don't remember the details of the accident...but would the person necessarily have even been taken to Shelley's hospital?
We don't even know where the accident occurred.
The Following User Says Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
  #86  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:13 PM
otto otto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran View Post
Does anyone recall if JY testified as to when he found out his FIL wasn't coming? or when he called his mom's house to say he was coming there?

tia
fran

PS....JusttheFax; was that email entered into evidence? Wonder if JY knows that Raven is waiting trial? tia,fran
A defense witness friend of Jason testified that he confirmed with Jason at noon on Nov 2 (that was my understanding of the dates) that Jason's FIL was not visiting. The friend was planning on tailgating with Jason on the weekend and I think they were going to stay at the Young house at least one night on the weekend. If Jason wouldn't miss a game for his wedding, would he miss a game by committing murder?
The Following User Says Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
  #87  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:17 PM
cody100 cody100 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by dja230 View Post
I apologize if this has been said before but when JY found out is wife was did, did he rush to get his daughter to make sure she was all right and safe, and stay with her because of the trauma she had been through with her beloved mother now dead? I feel I know the answer but would like confirmation.
He was in Brevard, which is in the mountains of NC. They left and came straight back to where CY (his daughter) was. He immediately went in and spent time with her. They did stop at a restaurant parking lot to make a couple of calls reference an attorney. There was no evidence that they stopped for dinner or procrastinated his departure from Brevard. It simply takes time to drive back to Raleigh from Brevard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cody100 For This Useful Post:
  #88  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM
SteelerGirl43 SteelerGirl43 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dja230 View Post
I apologize if this has been said before but when JY found out is wife was did, did he rush to get his daughter to make sure she was all right and safe, and stay with her because of the trauma she had been through with her beloved mother now dead? I feel I know the answer but would like confirmation.

He did get to his daughter....
  #89  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Lori59 Lori59 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
This is funny .. bumbling police officer that was taking a statement regarding the hit and run that my daughter witnessed this morning drove off while she was writing her statement and ... he still has her driver's license. That's a bit like the bumbling officers that took photos of the bathroom but didn't put a ruler in the photo to give scale to the prints.
Not seeing any correlation with the JY case...just criticizing LE
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lori59 For This Useful Post:
  #90  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:19 PM
gracielee's Avatar
gracielee gracielee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: N.C.
Posts: 4,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Hospital intake should have testified regarding the type of patients admitted to hospital that day, not a friend of the witness's wife that works at a hospital.
Shouldn't the defense have called them then? To rebut Shelly Schaads testimony? If they had evidence to the contrary, then it would be their responsiblity to call that witness. As it stands, Shelly's testimony of the black man with the leg injury stands as undisputed IMO.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:
  #91  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Elisaa444's Avatar
Elisaa444 Elisaa444 is online now
"The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it."
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 142
Hey, THANK YOU, PJCITIZEN for finding and posting that part of the instructions. You're the best. I couldn't find it for the life of me.

moo. moo. moo.
__________________
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."


The Following User Says Thank You to Elisaa444 For This Useful Post:
  #92  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Tipstaff Tipstaff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,257
Otto during closing arguments 3/1/12 you posted "I think he is toast". What has changed your mind if anything.

After paying attention to your posts it was impressive to see your statement at that point so just wondering where you are now. TIA
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tipstaff For This Useful Post:
  #93  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
gracielee's Avatar
gracielee gracielee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: N.C.
Posts: 4,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
We don't even know where the accident occurred.
So how then can you refer to it as *evidence* in the trial. Undisputed evidence? It would be up to the defense to rebut the testimony of Shelly Schaad. The prosecution put it forth in their case in chief. The defense did not rebut it, yet you've listed it as *evidence* to be held in truth.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:
  #94  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
otto otto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipstaff View Post
Otto during closing arguments 3/1/12 you posted "I think he is toast". What has changed your mind if anything.

After paying attention to your posts it was impressive to see your statement at that point so just wondering where you are now. TIA
I missed the later part of the prosecution's closing. I thought they did an excellent job of presenting the evidence in a linear, storytelling manner that demonstrated that each piece of evidence faciliated Jason committing the murder. I assumed that they also carefully addressed the gas issue that was unresolved at the end of the first trial, and didn't learn until later that evening that the prosecution simply said they didn't want to discuss the gas issues. That's a weakness in their case. They should have presented evidence that Jason committed the murder with, or without, the gas attendant testimony especially since her testimony was weak and contradicted her earlier testimony.
The Following User Says Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:
  #95  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:28 PM
SteelerGirl43 SteelerGirl43 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromageball View Post
I don't remember the details of the accident...but would the person necessarily have even been taken to Shelley's hospital?
Not sure where it happened... But here in Columbus we have 23 hospitals.... If in an accident normally you are taken to the nearest hospital.. If they are busy they will transport you to the next nearest one...

They will also ask which one you prefer to go too... So the person could have went to any hospital...
  #96  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
gracielee's Avatar
gracielee gracielee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: N.C.
Posts: 4,028
[quote=otto;7658109]There is evidence of attempted strangulation and evidence that after that failed, blunt force with a weapon occurred.



Could you cite that evidence please? That the first assault on Michelle was an attempted strangulation and not a 'knock out blow to the head'? I don't recall the testimony to which you are referring?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:
  #97  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Tipstaff Tipstaff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
I missed the later part of the prosecution's closing. I thought they did an excellent job of presenting the evidence in a linear, storytelling manner that demonstrated that each piece of evidence faciliated Jason committing the murder. I assumed that they also carefully addressed the gas issue that was unresolved at the end of the first trial, and didn't learn until later that evening that the prosecution simply said they didn't want to discuss the gas issues. That's a weakness in their case. They should have presented evidence that Jason committed the murder with, or without, the gas attendant testimony especially since her testimony was weak and contradicted her earlier testimony.
Actually the PT said that there were many many gas stations en route that JY may have obtained gasoline - they didn't ignore it - they just didn't elaborate on something they could or could not prove. Nor could they prove he didn't take gasoline from his home gas can or if he did or didn't have one.

So you believe the PT case for guilty hangs on this one thing?

Thank you.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tipstaff For This Useful Post:
  #98  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:33 PM
otto otto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 19,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
So how then can you refer to it as *evidence* in the trial. Undisputed evidence? It would be up to the defense to rebut the testimony of Shelly Schaad. The prosecution put it forth in their case in chief. The defense did not rebut it, yet you've listed it as *evidence* to be held in truth.
We knew that Jason search "head trauma" on the computer. That information was released well before either trial. That information made Jason look guilty. During trial, we heard testimony about that search with the implication that he may have done this while planning the murder.

Defense witness testmony proved, using information that the prosecution knew all along, that the prosecution was well aware of the fact that even Michelle knew about the accident that Jason witnessed. Jason explained that after the accident he was traumatized and searched the injuries suffered by the accident victim.

Are we to believe that Jason, the notoriously disorganized guy, search "head trauma" as part of his murderous plan, anticipated that the searches might be found, created an alibi by mentioning a fake accident to his wife and his wife then told others about this fake accident ... all to cover up the fact that Jason used his own computer to search head trauma? Why didn't he just go to the library to make the searches if he thought they might come back to him when he did the search?
  #99  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Just the Fax's Avatar
Just the Fax Just the Fax is offline
Justice For The Fisher's
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
I missed the later part of the prosecution's closing. I thought they did an excellent job of presenting the evidence in a linear, storytelling manner that demonstrated that each piece of evidence faciliated Jason committing the murder. I assumed that they also carefully addressed the gas issue that was unresolved at the end of the first trial, and didn't learn until later that evening that the prosecution simply said they didn't want to discuss the gas issues. That's a weakness in their case. They should have presented evidence that Jason committed the murder with, or without, the gas attendant testimony especially since her testimony was weak and contradicted her earlier testimony.
Weakness?
You must have missed the evidence presented by Spivey as to gas mileage.
Even the defense admitted he could have made it back to King w/o running out of gas. Based on 20.3 MPG proven, he would have had a little over 1/2 gallon (enough to drive 10 more miles).
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Just the Fax For This Useful Post:
  #100  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:33 PM
SteelerGirl43 SteelerGirl43 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipstaff View Post
Actually the PT said that there were many many gas stations en route that JY may have obtained gasoline - they didn't ignore it - they just didn't elaborate on something they could or could not prove. Nor could they prove he didn't take gasoline from him home gas can or if he did or didn't have one.

So you believe the PT case for guilty hangs on this one thing?

Thank you.
You mean like the size 10 shoes? You know NOT proving JY wore the size 10 shoe...
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelerGirl43 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**Verdict Watch** 3-2-2012; deliberations started at 1016am nursebeeme Michelle Young 734 03-03-2012 11:30 AM
State vs Jason Lynn Young: weekend discussion 11-18 Feb 2012 otto Michelle Young 773 02-20-2012 09:49 AM
State vs Jason Lynn Young: weekend discussion 11-12 Feb 2012 nursebeeme Michelle Young 227 02-13-2012 06:12 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!