Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Located! Information and Support

Notices

Located! Information and Support This Forum is for Information on Located Missing Persons and Family Support

Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
WS Moderator

WI - Eric Duffey, 21, Stevens Point, 2 Mar 2012

UW-Stevens Point student from Fitchburg missing

http://www.wkow.com/story/17073956/f...-stevens-point

Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-05-2012 at 05:36 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CatFancier For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
WS Moderator

Update: Volunteers to begin search for missing student

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.co...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

11:18 AM, Mar. 4, 2012

Quote:
UPDATE 1:16 p.m.: About 150 volunteers, including students, community members and university officials, are beginning a search for missing student Eric Duffey. The group is gathered in downtown Stevens Point near Joe's Bar, where Duffey was last seen at 1:15 a.m. Saturday.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to summer_breeze For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 AM

Police told reporters Sunday they did not suspect foul play, and that they believed alcohol was a factor in Duffey's disappearance, the Stevens Point Journal reported. The official search was suspended Sunday evening, but police, family and friends continued to search neighborhoods near the campus, the newspaper said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/04...#ixzz1oDY5iRgy

Hope he is found safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lori59 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM

I live near campus, there's a lot of woods and the WI river runs right by the bars, I hope they check those areas, too, and that he is found safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to ariannen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Police says firefighters are searching Wisconsin river

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/...isconsin-river
The Following User Says Thank You to KivaSupporter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM

Bumping follow up on article above with a body pulled from the WI River.

Quote:
STEVENS POINT (AP) - Emergency personnel say they've removed a body from the Wisconsin River they believe could be a missing college student.

Stevens Point Sgt. Dan Wheeler says officials removed a body around 1:10 p.m. Monday afternoon. The coroner's office has not made a positive ID but they believe the body is 21-year-old Eric Duffey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saribella For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Twitter sources coming out that the body found in WI River is Duffey. Waiting for more info as it comes along.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saribella For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 04:18 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...tsR_story.html

Duffey's body was Positive ID'd by Family it looks like.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saribella For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM
50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gatTfRlPkMWGm9vGDFyg_GzDiarQ?docId=fec9319df 4b0432db4a424df7d88160f

Emergency personnel say a coroner's office has identified a body removed from the Wisconsin River as a college student who went missing over the weekend.

The above was originally posted by KivaSupporter in the discussion thread.

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM

My son goes to school there and I know where the river is in relation to the bars. They are close,but not like steps. He would have to travel in a totally different direction to get back to school. His friends said he had been drinking but wasn't totally wasted. Did he just decide to stroll along the river on a cold winter night?
This is freaking me out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockeymom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Hello Hockeymom, was just wondering, what are your thoughts about this? Have you heard other locals talking about it, and if so, are there any theories being discussed? We have young men in the (mainly) midwest going into rivers. I rarely hear of this happening on the east coast -- or the west for that matter. This is just an awful loss of life -- so much potential. Could it be as simple as drinking + leaving a bar late at night = go to river and drown? I don't live in that neck of the woods, I'm trying to picture how it goes down. I agree with whoever said the bar tenders need to stop serving alcohol when someone is clearly already drunk. But I still wonder, is anyone slipping a drug into people's drinks?
The Following User Says Thank You to ThePhantom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Most people just believe he had too much to drink,but his friends say he wasn't that drunk. From my understanding,his apartment is in the opposite direction of the river. Why would he be walking the other way? It wasn't like a nice night or anything,as a matter of fact it snowed that day.
Some people are saying they think its the smiley face thing. I tell you I've worried about this for 2 years since my son has been there.
If I hear anything more,I'll post.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hockeymom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Verified Juanette

I am really confused by these deaths too. On one hand, I know how my husband is when he goes out drinking with friends. He LOVES to walk around a bit after and stop for a taco and especially he likes to sit by water. If there is an ocean view or a river nearby then he always wants to walk along there for the beauty of it. I have tried a couple of times to explain about the 'happy face' killer theory but he thinks I am whack-o.

But then we live on the west coast so it is not snowing and frozen....

If Eric D. did go walking by himself, why would he go on a cold night by himself to the river bank?

And if there are Happy Face killers---how do they get young, strong college kids to go down there without putting up a noisy fight?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom View Post
Most people just believe he had too much to drink,but his friends say he wasn't that drunk. From my understanding,his apartment is in the opposite direction of the river. Why would he be walking the other way? It wasn't like a nice night or anything,as a matter of fact it snowed that day.
Some people are saying they think its the smiley face thing. I tell you I've worried about this for 2 years since my son has been there.
If I hear anything more,I'll post.
Of all the drownings thought to be SFK victims, I feel most assuredly that Eric Duffey was one. Too many things point to it. His family seems to accept it was an accident though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheerLuckHolmes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
I am really confused by these deaths too. On one hand, I know how my husband is when he goes out drinking with friends. He LOVES to walk around a bit after and stop for a taco and especially he likes to sit by water. If there is an ocean view or a river nearby then he always wants to walk along there for the beauty of it. I have tried a couple of times to explain about the 'happy face' killer theory but he thinks I am whack-o.

But then we live on the west coast so it is not snowing and frozen....

If Eric D. did go walking by himself, why would he go on a cold night by himself to the river bank?

And if there are Happy Face killers---how do they get young, strong college kids to go down there without putting up a noisy fight?
One of the theories is that there is a female involved. She lures him to the water. In the case of Duffey and a couple guys in Milwaukee, they crossed multiple lanes of traffic, in a direction opposite of their apartments, and to rather difficult places to reach at night besides, to end up in the water. They did not go alone, I am sure and cannot imagine them going that way with a man or men.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheerLuckHolmes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Fiery redhead

I followed Eric's case back then and whenever I hear of the SFK I think of him.