Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Darlie Routier

Notices

Darlie Routier Darlie Routier is on death row, convicted of murdering her two sons. Darlie claims that an intruder attacked her and the boys and is responsible. Many feel Darlie deserves a new trial. Discuss it here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM
JenniferTx's Avatar
JenniferTx JenniferTx is offline
I love Jesus but I like to drink a little. :)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,719
How much longer will Darlie be on death row?

I'm wondering how many more years Texas is going to keep Darlie on death row. Shouldn't her execution date be coming up soon?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JenniferTx For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 03-06-2012, 04:19 PM
TXN4LIFE TXN4LIFE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferTx View Post
I'm wondering how many more years Texas is going to keep Darlie on death row. Shouldn't her execution date be coming up soon?
Since they are allowing the additional DNA testing, I dont believe they can set a date.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TXN4LIFE For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
wonders's Avatar
wonders wonders is offline
My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here There and Everywhere
Posts: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXN4LIFE View Post
Since they are allowing the additional DNA testing, I dont believe they can set a date.
Seems to me there should be a time limit on that DNA testing as it was a couple of years ago. KWIM?
__________________
A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wonders For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
JenniferTx's Avatar
JenniferTx JenniferTx is offline
I love Jesus but I like to drink a little. :)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonders View Post
Seems to me there should be a time limit on that DNA testing as it was a couple of years ago. KWIM?
I was under the impression that her family hadn't raised enough money yet for the additional testing. I didn't think the testing is something that is paid for by the state of Texas. I suppose I really don't know who is supposed to pay for the testing.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JenniferTx For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
wonders's Avatar
wonders wonders is offline
My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are mine and mine alone.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Here There and Everywhere
Posts: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferTx View Post
I was under the impression that her family hadn't raised enough money yet for the additional testing. I didn't think the testing is something that is paid for by the state of Texas. I suppose I really don't know who is supposed to pay for the testing.
Sorry JenniferTx, I should have mentioned that. I was just being a smart alec really.
__________________
A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wonders For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
TXN4LIFE TXN4LIFE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferTx View Post
I was under the impression that her family hadn't raised enough money yet for the additional testing. I didn't think the testing is something that is paid for by the state of Texas. I suppose I really don't know who is supposed to pay for the testing.
Cami knows better than I do, but I believe some of the items were tested at the State level and they have to raise the money for the Federal testing....or it could be visa versa. Maybe Cami will help us out on this.

I would think there would be a time limit on how long you have to get the testing done, but no one seems to know.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TXN4LIFE For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 AM
dodie20 dodie20 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXN4LIFE View Post
Cami knows better than I do, but I believe some of the items were tested at the State level and they have to raise the money for the Federal testing....or it could be visa versa. Maybe Cami will help us out on this.

I would think there would be a time limit on how long you have to get the testing done, but no one seems to know.
I think there must be, or they'd all use it as a ploy to avoid the punishment...just say they were working on raising the money. Do you have any idea how much money they are talking about?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM
texaslb218's Avatar
texaslb218 texaslb218 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: DFW area
Posts: 1,137
Bet Darlie wishes she were in Connecticutt!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to texaslb218 For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 07-17-2012, 01:39 AM
jimben jimben is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
once the test results are reported, Darlie's lawyer will motion for new hearing which will be denied. The new trial motion will probably have to work its way up to Federal Courts. Six to ten years.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
JenniferTx's Avatar
JenniferTx JenniferTx is offline
I love Jesus but I like to drink a little. :)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimben View Post
once the test results are reported, Darlie's lawyer will motion for new hearing which will be denied. The new trial motion will probably have to work its way up to Federal Courts. Six to ten years.
So Darlie could be on death row for another 6 to 10 years?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM
jimben jimben is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
JenTx --

It will likely take 6 to 10 years to resolve the new wave of appeals spawn as a result of the "new evidence" and questions of whether or not it is sufficient to possibly change the original guilty finding. It is not out of the realm of possibility that, if the "new evidence" does raise puzzling questions, the State might offer her a life sentence to dispose of it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimben For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM
txsvicki's Avatar
txsvicki txsvicki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 14,090
No sure where to ask this but since this thread is active: did they ever resolve the fingerprint issue? I was looking at book reviews on amazon and saw one said to be from darlie's mom. An old comment saying the boys were exhumed and not their fingerprint. I did not recall any info of exhumation.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txsvicki For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
DevilsPlayThing's Avatar
DevilsPlayThing DevilsPlayThing is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 276
Wasn't there a major problem with the court reporter at her trial. The court reporter relied on tape recorder or something. Then went home with the trial transcripts and played one tape - and heard silence and figured all tapes were blank. So she had her daughter type up the transcripts from notes or something - I do not remember. Then it was discovered the tapes were not blank afterall. And the court reporter kept them in some storage unit. Finally when recovered and compared to the official trial transcripts that she filed as case record - her transcripts were so far off from the recordings it was unreal. Witness Yes answers were recorded as No in the official court transcripts and I believe testimonies were missing - jumbled etc. I hope I am remembering the correct case.
__________________
~Human Beings Are All Members Of One Body.
They Are Created From The Same Essence.
When One Member Is In Pain,
The Others Cannot Rest.
If You Do Not Care About The Pain Of Others,
You Do Not Deserve To Be Called A Human Being.~


A Quote From 13th Century Famous Persian Poet Saadi Shirazi

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic72981_1.gif
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DevilsPlayThing For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 07-19-2012, 03:57 AM
jimben jimben is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6
I just read through the appealate transcripts and once again find that I often speak too soon. Texas law has tough standards with respect to granting new trials. At this point, it may not be enough to show that some unknown "intruder" was likely in the house. They might be required to show that the "intruder" is in fact the attacker.

There are several fingerprints in question. One was identified as belonging to Darien (the husband). The other two have not been identified which does Darlie no good at all.

After a year of rework, the transcripts are repaired. But errors in transcription do not in any way provide proof of Darlie's innocents.

This will all come down to what they find with the additional DNA testing and whether or not it is sufficient to get a US Circuit Court to order the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to grant a new trail. Texas probably will not give her a new trial without a federal order.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jimben For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 07-29-2012, 01:32 AM
trustice trustice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
not sure how long she will be on death row. But after they change her sentence in "life without parole", she will not longer be there. When that happends? I dont know...

But she will never be executed. You can be certain of that...
__________________
excuse my english
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trustice For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM
TXN4LIFE TXN4LIFE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustice View Post
not sure how long she will be on death row. But after they change her sentence in "life without parole", she will not longer be there. When that happends? I dont know...

But she will never be executed. You can be certain of that...
How can you be certain of that?
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXN4LIFE For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 08-05-2012, 03:51 PM
cami's Avatar
cami cami is offline
Keep your fork......
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Atlantic
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimben View Post
JenTx --

It will likely take 6 to 10 years to resolve the new wave of appeals spawn as a result of the "new evidence" and questions of whether or not it is sufficient to possibly change the original guilty finding. It is not out of the realm of possibility that, if the "new evidence" does raise puzzling questions, the State might offer her a life sentence to dispose of it.
There is no "new evidence." She's granted tests on the old evidence. Tests that weren't available in 1996. Darlie's appeals were delayed because of the transcript issue. The federal court granted a stay and threw it back to the state court to conduct the dna tests. The new Y-STR typing is now being used.

They are now in the testing process but as noted it could take years. It won't be resolved any time soon.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cami For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 08-05-2012, 03:59 PM
cami's Avatar
cami cami is offline
Keep your fork......
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Atlantic
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustice View Post
not sure how long she will be on death row. But after they change her sentence in "life without parole", she will not longer be there. When that happends? I dont know...

But she will never be executed. You can be certain of that...
If that happened she'd be subject to 1996 rules and she would be eligible for parole.

If the dna tests go against her, her sentence will stand.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cami For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
cami's Avatar
cami cami is offline
Keep your fork......
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Atlantic
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsPlayThing View Post
Wasn't there a major problem with the court reporter at her trial. The court reporter relied on tape recorder or something. Then went home with the trial transcripts and played one tape - and heard silence and figured all tapes were blank. So she had her daughter type up the transcripts from notes or something - I do not remember. Then it was discovered the tapes were not blank afterall. And the court reporter kept them in some storage unit. Finally when recovered and compared to the official trial transcripts that she filed as case record - her transcripts were so far off from the recordings it was unreal. Witness Yes answers were recorded as No in the official court transcripts and I believe testimonies were missing - jumbled etc. I hope I am remembering the correct case.
Quote:
her transcripts were so far off from the recordings it was unreal. Witness Yes answers were recorded as No in the official court transcripts and I believe testimonies were missing - jumbled etc. I hope I am remembering the correct case
That didn't happen. That's just Routier bs.

The recorder did not have the transcript ready on time. She lied about the audio tapes and she was disciplined for it. Another recorder, Susan Simmons I think the name is, took the tapes and steno books and corrected the transcript, which contained typos and spelling mistakes, nothing more. The transcript was accepted by court. IOW no appeal was granted on the transcript. NOw the federal courts might have something to say about it but only if she meets Brady.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cami For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 08-05-2012, 04:17 PM
cami's Avatar
cami cami is offline
Keep your fork......
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Atlantic
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXN4LIFE View Post
Cami knows better than I do, but I believe some of the items were tested at the State level and they have to raise the money for the Federal testing....or it could be visa versa. Maybe Cami will help us out on this.

I would think there would be a time limit on how long you have to get the testing done, but no one seems to know.
Jennifer, she was granted further testing on the sock, a pubic hair, a limb hair and the knife and the fingerprints.

Anything else, she has to pay for. i.e. Judge Royal did not grant her the nightshirt. If she wants that nightshirt tested by the new tests, she has to pay for it. They need about $200,000 to pay for the tests they want done.

All of these tests are delay tactics. However, we don't want to go executing an innocent woman so no one has a problem with them. I would say to Darlie be careful what you wish for. Jeff MacDonald's dna tests only proved he was the killer and exonerated the two people he insists killed his family.

But as Jim noted, these tests will take years because they are post-conviction tests. Until then she is under a stay.

Anyway here's the link to Judge Royal's decision.

http://www.fordarlieroutier.org/Legal/Habeas/081105.pdf

All the specimens are now in the Dept of Public Safety lab in Austin but as to when the testing will take place is anyone's guess.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cami For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 08-05-2012, 04:32 PM
cami's Avatar
cami cami is offline
Keep your fork......
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In the Atlantic
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimben View Post
I just read through the appealate transcripts and once again find that I often speak too soon. Texas law has tough standards with respect to granting new trials. At this point, it may not be enough to show that some unknown "intruder" was likely in the house. They might be required to show that the "intruder" is in fact the attacker.

There are several fingerprints in question. One was identified as belonging to Darien (the husband). The other two have not been identified which does Darlie no good at all.

After a year of rework, the transcripts are repaired. But errors in transcription do not in any way provide proof of Darlie's innocents.

This will all come down to what they find with the additional DNA testing and whether or not it is sufficient to get a US Circuit Court to order the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to grant a new trail. Texas probably will not give her a new trial without a federal order.
Darin's latent print is on the back door. Not surprising since he lived in the house. But it's the bloody print on the back door that is in question. According to Darlie's expert, not the state, that print is not hers or anyone at the CS.

The two bloody prints in question are unidentifiable because they are partial prints. However, the defence believes and the court agrees there is enough points to run them through AFIS.

Quote:
This will all come down to what they find with the additional DNA testing and whether or not it is sufficient to get a US Circuit Court to order the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to grant a new trail. Texas probably will not give her a new trial without a federal order.
ITA, what scares me is artifact dna, like in the Ramsey case, taking the heat off the parents.

IMO that print on the back door is Darlie's. She's the only person with bloody hands, her blood leads up to it and away from it and she puts herself in that area. There's no blood dripped from the hand of an intruder leading up to that print or away from it, no blood in the garage, window, outside the house.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cami For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM
neesaki's Avatar
neesaki neesaki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cami View Post
Darin's latent print is on the back door. Not surprising since he lived in the house. But it's the bloody print on the back door that is in question. According to Darlie's expert, not the state, that print is not hers or anyone at the CS.

The two bloody prints in question are unidentifiable because they are partial prints. However, the defence believes and the court agrees there is enough points to run them through AFIS.



ITA, what scares me is artifact dna, like in the Ramsey case, taking the heat off the parents.

IMO that print on the back door is Darlie's. She's the only person with bloody hands, her blood leads up to it and away from it and she puts herself in that area. There's no blood dripped from the hand of an intruder leading up to that print or away from it, no blood in the garage, window, outside the house.
Am just wondering how the print has not already been identified as Darlie's. Would this not be pretty cut and dried? TIA
__________________
~ "You can be much more alone with other people than you are by yourself, even if it's people you love."~ Mrs. Muir
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neesaki For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM
geslina geslina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimben View Post
JenTx --

It will likely take 6 to 10 years to resolve the new wave of appeals spawn as a result of the "new evidence" and questions of whether or not it is sufficient to possibly change the original guilty finding. It is not out of the realm of possibility that, if the "new evidence" does raise puzzling questions, the State might offer her a life sentence to dispose of it.
6 to 10 years? Oh, for God's sake. That is ridiculous. I suppose it is good that the taxpayers don't have to pay for all her tests, but we do have to pay to feed and house her for all this time. The one good thing is that even if they do find some loophole to get her out, it won't necessarily mean she is innocent, and at least she will have spent some of the best years of her life paying for what she did.

The DNA (mitochondrial) testing was supposedly completed in 2010. The fact that we haven't heard about the results probably means it isn't in her favor. Who knows when the rest of the tests will be completed? Good to know she has to suffer on DR until then. Even if things turn out in her favor, she could be in her 50's before all that happens. That is some consolation. Unless the "real" killer is caught or confessess, she aint going anywhere. But if it were up to me, she wouldn't have the privacy and protection of death row, she'd be a baby killer thrown in with the general population. And she probably wouldn't be getting most of the attention she gets today, since a large marjority of it is from those against the death penalty.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to geslina For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Peiper72's Avatar
Peiper72 Peiper72 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Forest Hills Gardens, NY
Posts: 23
Frances Newton was on DR for 19 yrs and amazingly she managed to keep her crime a secret from the other inmates. I wonder if Darlie's "friends" on DR know why she's there.
I predict 5 more yrs, if that.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peiper72 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone written to Darlie on death row? JenniferTx Darlie Routier 36 06-19-2011 10:43 PM
Fl Death Row momtective Caylee Anthony 2 years old 57 10-30-2008 01:45 AM
Darlie on "Women On Death Row" JuJuBee Darlie Routier 33 12-13-2007 10:44 AM
Darlie's Death Row Roomies Kaly Darlie Routier 105 10-31-2005 08:08 PM
Row row row your boat, slowly cross the Sea Casshew Bizarre and Off-Beat News 4 10-01-2005 09:34 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!