Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Lauren Spierer General Discussion Threads

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
A psychic was claiming a location in Yellow Wood several months ago. So,
it is likely the Aussie simply clicked on a USGS topographic map and came up
with these coordinates. You wouldn't think the bad boy would be dumb enough to tell on himself? Well, maybe better check it out because the guy who committed this crime is an idiot.
An idiot who seems to have gotten away with it, thus far...hope he gets caught, but not feeling a whole lot of hope right now.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mophebius View Post
Does anybody happen to know if the alleged cell phone ping of JR's cell phone between 3 and 4 am june 3rd on a Martinsville cell tower tower is legit? Or is it just a rumor that has become quasi-fact? I have heard it from very early on in this case, including this forum and PT/HT/TG comments section. I just never heard if there was an actual coroboration or if that was just some pie in the sky fact-less rumor that people have ran with? I'm sure most of you have heard about that and we have covered cell phone ping's etc. several times. I just never got a straight answer on the JR cell ping info that has been flying around for the past 9 months. Any info is appreciated, thanks.
There was a search in the Martinsville area early on that prompted this rumor. I don't know if it was a GPS ping though. More likely a record from the billing department. There is a huge difference between the GPS coordinate of a cellphone and tower usage.
June 3 was a 90 degree day. It was 64 degrees when Lauren went missing.
This weather causes temperature inversions which cause tropospheric
ducting on cellphone frequencies. So, we need the cellphones GPS to determine where Jay Rosenbaum was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacobite For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluciano63 View Post
An idiot who seems to have gotten away with it, thus far...hope he gets caught, but not feeling a whole lot of hope right now.
He thinks he's clever and I'd bet he's making some of the nastiest posts you've read. He will be caught though and before this thread hits 30 pages.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacobite For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
He thinks he's clever and I'd bet he's making some of the nastiest posts you've read. He will be caught though and before this thread hits 30 pages.
??? I'd love to think so...but are you aware of any movement in the case?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Malcohm Battersby, the man who recoded the song is a different Australian.
He's not the guy who posted the coordinates in NE Monroe County.
Catherine Rothschild focused on Gabe Rivera for awhile because he told her he was the Mystery Man. We do not believe him. However, I doubt Catherine has ever been called such foul names before in her life.
Who exactly is we? How do you know Malcohm wasn't the poster? That means, you either know Malcohm, or you know the poster, but not both? Also, how are you involved with Catherine to know what names she's been called?

Also, how was does one such as Catherine write lyrics to a song and get a man in Australia to perform her lyrics as a song?

Jacobite, you seem to ever some info that your present, that sometimes seems off, or too good to be true. JMO
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elmorejames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx2 View Post
Thanks for sending it along, but can I ask if you sent them the exact decimal coordinates from the YouTube comment?

To clarify, I believe the coordinates that some people in this thread are using in reference to "North Moon Road about 20 miles North of Bloomington, very close to Van Buskirk Cemetery" is incorrect and is causing a bit of confusion.

edit- 2nd comment here indicates that it was reported also.
I'm missing something...Which comment on the link you posted indicates what was reported?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jupiter812 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 PM
WS Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter812 View Post
I'm missing something...Which comment on the link you posted indicates what was reported?
The one that was flagged as spam. Click on "show".

I don't even know to this day what I meant by what I said.
Casey Anthony, bankruptcy/Zenaida Gonzalez deposition, 01/23/2014
Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 PM

I'm probably going to regret asking this since it seems silly, but i've been reading some older articles related to Lauren's disappearance and i've been seeing a LOT of comments that are supposedly from fellow Bloomington residents that claim the police killer Lauren, or covered her death up.. Can any of the locals clear this up for me. What are the whispers?
The Following User Says Thank You to shotgunhomicide For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunhomicide View Post
I'm probably going to regret asking this since it seems silly, but i've been reading some older articles related to Lauren's disappearance and i've been seeing a LOT of comments that are supposedly from fellow Bloomington residents that claim the police killer Lauren, or covered her death up.. Can any of the locals clear this up for me. What are the whispers?
I'm not a local but as far as I know, there were two people (Gabe Rivera and "Chickjustin") who posted various conspiracy theories about the police somehow being involved with Lauren's disappearance. I don't believe either of them were taken very seriously as both theories seemed far fetched and mostly incoherent (MOO).
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AbbeyR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyR View Post
I'm not a local but as far as I know, there were two people (Gabe Rivera and "Chickjustin") who posted various conspiracy theories about the police somehow being involved with Lauren's disappearance. I don't believe either of them were taken very seriously as both theories seemed far fetched and mostly incoherent (MOO).
Those two names are the only ones I remember talking about that theory as well. Interestingly, from what I've pieced together just from comments I've read online (mostly on twitter) "Chickjustin" is bi-polar and was in a manic state at the time she was making all of those statements and at some point it appears she was hospitalized and once she was stabilized, released and was back online again she sounded much more coherent and it looks like she has deleted most of the statements she had made regarding all of that. I'm not sure if she ever directly states that she officially retracts those statements but that seems to be the case.

I haven't had a chance to review the latest threads so I apologize if this has already been posted and discussed but, does anyone have any updates or thoughts about the likelihood of this being Lauren:

http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=497332
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeeingForThe1stTime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Verified expert in neuroscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmorejames View Post
OK that is really creepy, being that the guy is a semi-famous musician. What seems stranger is that the song was performed by him but written by Catherine Rothschild, who may or may not have been friends with LS. Even creepier is Rothschild's public rant with/ against Gabe Rivera....

http://privateinvesigations.blogspot...rime-case.html

<modsnip>

LET'S CHECK THAT FIELD WITH THE GPS COORDINATES PEOPLE.
I don't think she wrote the song, he wrote a song that featured her poem as lyrics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skigirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeingForThe1stTime View Post
I haven't had a chance to review the latest threads so I apologize if this has already been posted and discussed but, does anyone have any updates or thoughts about the likelihood of this being Lauren:

http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=497332
Snipped by me. I haven't found much about this on-line, except that an anthropologist has been called in to assist the coroner and that Jasper County itself has no missing persons. (http://www.pressmentor.com/news/x872...anthropologist.)

I wonder if the need for an anthropologist suggests the skeleton has been there awhile? That's makes me think it not be LS. But that's just a guess on my part ... maybe there's a lot of decomposition based on environmental factors?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imkeylime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Cold Case Files

Spring has started early in Indiana. Anyone hears about any new searches coming up please post in a new thread so it does not get lost.
Thank-you.

[second chapter twelfth verse of Philippians]
["Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling"]

Emily Rose

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkeylime View Post
Snipped by me. I haven't found much about this on-line, except that an anthropologist has been called in to assist the coroner and that Jasper County itself has no missing persons. (http://www.pressmentor.com/news/x872...anthropologist.)

I wonder if the need for an anthropologist suggests the skeleton has been there awhile? That's makes me think it not be LS. But that's just a guess on my part ... maybe there's a lot of decomposition based on environmental factors?
In warm weather, a body exposed to air and insect life decomposes to a skeletal stage quite rapidly, in a few weeks to a few months.

Were there any reports of people who disappeared near the Embarras (pronounced AM-braw) River around Champaign or Mattoon? I am not sure the Embarras is large enough to carry away a body at Champaign. Anyone else know?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ros For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros View Post
In warm weather, a body exposed to air and insect life decomposes to a skeletal stage quite rapidly, in a few weeks to a few months.

Were there any reports of people who disappeared near the Embarras (pronounced AM-braw) River around Champaign or Mattoon? I am not sure the Embarras is large enough to carry away a body at Champaign. Anyone else know?
There was flooding in southern IL in June of last year. So a location upstream is possible.
The roads are poor from Bloomington to Newton so, it doesn't make sense for this to be Lauren. The chances are this is a murder victim from the Chicago area who was dumped. Newton is just a short drive off the interstate highway that goes south from Chicago.
Besides, we still have a flicker of hope that Lauren will be found alive. I give this 15 percent odds of being Lauren, 85 that it's someone else. Why can't they give us a clue in less than 30 days? That's hard on families and there are dental records and height to go on as well.

Last edited by Jacobite; 03-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
There was flooding in southern IL in June of last year. So a location upstream is possible.
The roads are poor from Bloomington to Newton so, it doesn't make sense for this to be Lauren. The chances are this is a murder victim from the Chicago area who was dumped. Newton is just a short drive off the interstate highway that goes south from Chicago.
Besides, we still have a flicker of hope that Lauren will be found alive. I give this 15 percent odds of being Lauren, 85 that it's someone else. Why can't they give us a clue in less than 30 days? That's hard on families and there are dental records and height to go on as well.
The roads aren't that bad from Bloomington to Newton. You'd take 46 out of town to Terre Haute, then I-70 to Effingham, then get off the Interstate and start looking for a secluded area.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ros For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 PM

You'd think, if they thought this was Lauren, we'd be getting more info from the media.
Let's just hope they can ID ASAP.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacobite For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros View Post

I hate to even say this because it's so icky, but around where I live, a dead deer can be reduced to a skeleton literally overnight, as long as the buzzards see it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skigirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 11:49 PM

Everytime I wear my pink ballet flats I think of Lauren

Hoping we get some answers soon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanInOz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
You'd think, if they thought this was Lauren, we'd be getting more info from the media.
Let's just hope they can ID ASAP.
I share your hope, but I don't know that lack of info from media means anything one way or another. Just my opinion, of course, and heavily influenced by what just happened in Hailey Dunn's case...lots of very strong hints (moo) that her remains had been found, but apparently this wasn't the case at all. But as always I am hoping right along with you...and, like Dan, thinking of Lauren each time I put on my ballet flats.

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PlainJaneDoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 PM

Strange article comments

Hello, I have been reading websleuth threads for some time now, but this is my first to post. I have been reading different articles regarding the LS case, and came across a strange comment to an article from June 18, 2011 describing an area from someone's dream. It just struck me as strange that she mentions a valley, while the coordinates being discussed in this thread mention a ravine. Seems so strange to post something so detailed on a news article for kicks. Just thought it was interesting... and that she claims to be one of her friends?

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28230008/detail.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msam2108 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Cold Case Files

Those things on her wrist. The one in the middle by itself.

Last year on the 4th of July I found one of those while taking photos in the gravel area. It was laying on one of those bricks you park your car against as you park. I still have it and it looks like the one on her wrist.

I posted a picture of it on here somewhere exactly where it was laying before I picked it up. But I cannot find that picture now.

Emily Rose

Last edited by :+:MrTT:+:; 03-25-2012 at 03:35 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :+:MrTT:+: View Post

Those things on her wrist. The one in the middle by itself.

Last year on the 4th of July I found one of those while taking photos in the gravel area. It was laying on one of those bricks you park your car against as you park. I still have it and it looks like the one on her wrist.

I posted a picture of it on here somewhere exactly where it was laying before I picked it up. But I cannot find that picture now.
Actually I can picture this post in my head because I've wondered a lot about how likely a ponytail holder would be to stay at or near the place it was dropped. I would assume not likely, but since I've been thinking about it I've noticed a number of small items, eg a tube of Chapstick on the ground outside the university fitness center, that have been in the same spot for months, through all kinds of weather. I know it is litter and I should pick it up, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

You want me to look for the post?

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlainJaneDoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by msam2108 View Post
Hello, I have been reading websleuth threads for some time now, but this is my first to post. I have been reading different articles regarding the LS case, and came across a strange comment to an article from June 18, 2011 describing an area from someone's dream. It just struck me as strange that she mentions a valley, while the coordinates being discussed in this thread mention a ravine. Seems so strange to post something so detailed on a news article for kicks. Just thought it was interesting... and that she claims to be one of her friends?

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28230008/detail.html
Did you notice the poll on this page about media coverage of Lauren's case? 52% of respondents voted that it had been covered too much.

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter)
The Following User Says Thank You to PlainJaneDoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Cold Case Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJaneDoe View Post
Actually I can picture this post in my head because I've wondered a lot about how likely a ponytail holder would be to stay at or near the place it was dropped. I would assume not likely, but since I've been thinking about it I've noticed a number of small items, eg a tube of Chapstick on the ground outside the university fitness center, that have been in the same spot for months, through all kinds of weather. I know it is litter and I should pick it up, but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

You want me to look for the post?
Thank-you. I have the photo somewhere around here on a CD. But cannot locate it. I think not long after I sent the image to BPD and they never responded back, though I am not 100 percent sure I sent it, I believe I did. I agree the chances it was Lauren is remote, but at the time I found it I did-not know she wore those things until later when I started looking at her photos when I got back home. I was just speculating after being there and if it was hers, it may had been left like a trail. After she came out the alley and dropped her stuff there by the handrail that were found minutes later by another person, that perhaps if she was being taken to a waiting vehicle parked there by the gravel pit maybe she dropped it also to let someone know she was there in that spot also. I agree with you that its a low probability it is hers, but the fact is she did wear those, and I found one in the area where she went missing or was last seen anyways.

I never been a believer she was last seen walking down college from 11th street around 415 am. Because she had been arrested before for public intoxication I believe the charge was. So she would have went back home down the alley and not down college. Though all MOO and speculation on my part. If she is on tape walking home at that time from 11th and college than show it to us. I wont believe it until i see the video tape.

Emily Rose

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to :+:MrTT:+: For This Useful Post: