Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Crimes and Trials > Trials > George Zimmerman Trial/Trayvon Martin > George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion threads

Notices

George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion threads All closed discussion threads about George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin.Not open for posting- but there is plenty of reading.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #126  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM
rossva's Avatar
rossva rossva is offline
George Zimmerman: Innocent until proven guilty.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,782
I agree; Martin didn't deserve to be killed. What I am looking at are all the circumstances that led up to the confrontation.

If I saw some one do what Martin did, I most likely would have called 911 and reported it also. I may have also followed and observed at a safe distance till LE did infact arrive, especially if there had been unsolved breakins recently. I would not have gone up to him personally, nor would I have carried a weapon.

The problem is there is only one living person who knows exactly what happened. It is possible what Zimmerman is claiming is EXACTLY what happened that night. It's also just as POSSIBLE that Zimmerman called out to Martin, Martin stopped, and Zimmerman just shot him point blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedrys View Post
So what does that mean, that he deserved to be killed for looking suspicious? A lot of people look suspicious. That doesn't give anyone the right to chase them down and kill them. That is the problem here.
__________________
" When ever you find yourself on the side of majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
- Mark Twain







The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossva For This Useful Post:
  #127  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM
gitana1's Avatar
gitana1 gitana1 is offline
Verified Attorney
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
If you read the actual statute it does have a part on using deadly force by an aggressor.
You have been alerting everyone as to the ramifications of this law from the beginning of this case. Few have listened. But it's all over the papers and radio now. I still think Zimmerman can be prosecuted, the law notwithstanding. But I will review it more deeply. Thanks for sounding the alarm.
__________________
For Travis Alexander, a human being. Justice will prevail.

Last edited by gitana1; 03-20-2012 at 05:19 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gitana1 For This Useful Post:
  #128  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:24 PM
rossva's Avatar
rossva rossva is offline
George Zimmerman: Innocent until proven guilty.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,782
In addition to the discussion's going on, should we perhaps discuss why Zimmerman was able to get a concealed carry permit in the first place? Are Florida's laws regarding that too lax?
__________________
" When ever you find yourself on the side of majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
- Mark Twain







The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rossva For This Useful Post:
  #129  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Talina Talina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHater View Post
You might have a point if it had been George Zimmerman's porch. Maybe you would have a point if Trayvon was shot on that porch, because Zimmerman thought he was about to attempt a burglary or something.

Since neither of those scenarios are true....

Just sayin.
Good point.

To also further that, if a person were to see someone that they thought was suspicious on a neighbor's porch, I can't imagine approaching and confronting that person. I believe the proper thing to do is call 911.

I understand the premise of standing your ground and self defense and I agree with there being protections under the law such as this; however, I see NOTHING at all in this situation that even remotely leads me to believe self defense had anything to do with Zimmerman pulling the trigger on his gun. I'd like to ask Zimmerman one question: "Precisely at what point in your pursuit and following Tray did you switch roles and you become the hunted with him being the hunter?"

It seems very apparent to me that it was Tray that stopped and stood his ground against his aggressor, not the other way around.

IMO
__________________
Unless I've provided a link, everything I say is IMO
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Talina For This Useful Post:
  #130  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:29 PM
daisy7's Avatar
daisy7 daisy7 is offline
Retired WS Staff
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,186
Zimmerman said he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck, police said. He said he feared for his life and fired the semiautomatic handgun he was licensed to carry because he feared for his life.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...#storylink=cpy

I just read about his excuse for getting out of of his car. Where did this statement come from? Wonder what his explanation was for chasing Trayvon as evidenced in his own 911 call?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to daisy7 For This Useful Post:
  #131  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM
LolaMoon08's Avatar
LolaMoon08 LolaMoon08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
Zimmerman said he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck, police said. He said he feared for his life and fired the semiautomatic handgun he was licensed to carry because he feared for his life.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...#storylink=cpy

I just read about his excuse for getting out of of his car. Where did this statement come from? Wonder what his explanation was for chasing Trayvon as evidenced in his own 911 call?
It's just a big mess! I want to listen to the actual interview with Zimmerman that recorded his statements about what happened that night... if one even exists?!
__________________
Justice for Trayvon
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LolaMoon08 For This Useful Post:
  #132  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Wise Old Owl's Avatar
Wise Old Owl Wise Old Owl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South FloriDUH
Posts: 13,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
Zimmerman said he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck, police said. He said he feared for his life and fired the semiautomatic handgun he was licensed to carry because he feared for his life.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...#storylink=cpy

I just read about his excuse for getting out of of his car. Where did this statement come from? Wonder what his explanation was for chasing Trayvon as evidenced in his own 911 call?
ITA Daisy - but if you listen on the 911 call, GZ clearly states the name of a street - early on, in the beginning. He knew the street names - you bet on that. No way am I going to believe he got out of his truck to see the street sign.

JMHO
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Wise Old Owl For This Useful Post:
  #133  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
SuziQ SuziQ is offline
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 33,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
Zimmerman said he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck, police said. He said he feared for his life and fired the semiautomatic handgun he was licensed to carry because he feared for his life.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...#storylink=cpy

I just read about his excuse for getting out of of his car. Where did this statement come from? Wonder what his explanation was for chasing Trayvon as evidenced in his own 911 call?
It says it came from police. IIRC, in other articles it actually was a statement made by Lee. Sorry I don't have a link for you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuziQ For This Useful Post:
  #134  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
wishuwerehere wishuwerehere is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
ITA Daisy - but if you listen on the 911 call, GZ clearly states the name of a street - early on, in the beginning. He knew the street names - you bet on that. No way am I going to believe he got out of his truck to see the street sign.

JMHO
Agreed.

If Zimmerman was the neighborhood “watch” captain, and it has been reported that he called 911 46 times last year, wouldn’t he know the names of the streets in that area like the back of his hand? So, no need to get out of his vehicle, right?

jmo
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to wishuwerehere For This Useful Post:
  #135  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Talina Talina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
Zimmerman said he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck, police said. He said he feared for his life and fired the semiautomatic handgun he was licensed to carry because he feared for his life.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...#storylink=cpy

I just read about his excuse for getting out of of his car. Where did this statement come from? Wonder what his explanation was for chasing Trayvon as evidenced in his own 911 call?
That clearly does not correlate with what he is describing on his 911 call. He's already out of his vehicle following and pursuing Tray while he is on the phone with 911 operator.

I wonder where in his story line does he then get back into his car, get out again to look at the street name and then is ambushed from behind by Tray.

That story also does not match at all what Tray's girlfriend is saying she overheard.

I'm thinking we'll now hear several different versions from Zimmerman about what happened that fateful day because a lie is harder to remember than the truth.

IMO
__________________
Unless I've provided a link, everything I say is IMO
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Talina For This Useful Post:
  #136  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Lovejac's Avatar
Lovejac Lovejac is offline
These boys are my heartstrings!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: State of Disbelief. SC
Posts: 7,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaTwinn View Post
"Trayvon said, 'What, are you following me for,' and the man said, 'What are you doing here.' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell. I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

If it were a cell phone, wouldn't GZ have seen him on the phone? I'm guessing he wouldn't have wanted to confront anyone if he saw them on the phone talking. But if it were a blue tooth/ear piece, it's possible he couldn't see it. I guess it doesn't matter at this point and I don't know why it's bugging me. MOO
Remember, it was rainy and Trayvon was wearing his hood up. GZ probably wasn't able to see it.
__________________
Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:
  #137  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Anadarko Anadarko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
Zimmerman said he had stepped out of his truck to check the name of the street he was on when Trayvon attacked him from behind as he walked back to his truck, police said. He said he feared for his life and fired the semiautomatic handgun he was licensed to carry because he feared for his life.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...#storylink=cpy

I just read about his excuse for getting out of of his car. Where did this statement come from? Wonder what his explanation was for chasing Trayvon as evidenced in his own 911 call?
Wasn't he on neighborhood watch patrol? Shouldn't he already know the names of the streets? Who does he think he's kidding?

GZ was following TM, against the advice of the dispatcher. So how did he get attacked from behind?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anadarko For This Useful Post:
  #138  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Lovejac's Avatar
Lovejac Lovejac is offline
These boys are my heartstrings!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: State of Disbelief. SC
Posts: 7,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
Change.org released a list Tuesday of celebrities who are supporting an online petition for Trayvon Martin.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/slideshow/news/3...#ixzz1pgGv1FNv
Hooray! Thank you, thank you, thank you Hollywood peeps!

ETA: imagine how many fans they can reach with just one tweet!!
__________________
Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:
  #139  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Talina Talina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
Remember, it was rainy and Trayvon was wearing his hood up. GZ probably wasn't able to see it.
I'm thinking GZ had no idea that Trayvon was on the phone. His girlfriend is quoted in the newspaper article as saying his ear piece fell out while she was one the phone with him, during the verbal exchange she overheard right before their call got disconnected.

I bet that this news release of that conversation/verbal confrontation being overheard is the first Zimmerman is finding out that Tray was on the phone when this all went down.

Surprise, surprise.

IMO
__________________
Unless I've provided a link, everything I say is IMO
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Talina For This Useful Post:
  #140  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM
ziggy's Avatar
ziggy ziggy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern Cal
Posts: 4,209
This case is tragic. I don't want to attack the "Stand Your Ground" law or conceal carry laws because they are not the problem.

The problem is this individual who seems to have a policeman fantasy. There are bad people who abuse laws designed for good citizens to protect themselves.

This guy will go down eventually. I don't think there is enough evidence for him to successfully argue self defense AND I want justice for this young man.
__________________
__________________
Disclaimer: while I have graduated law school and hold a JD, I am not yet licensed to practice. Therefore, if I say anything which could possibly be considered legal advice, or if I explain anything related to legal matters, rules of evidence, legal procedures, or anything related to law, please be aware that I do not yet hold a bar card and we have no attorney/client relationship. Please always, always talk to a personal attorney, and follow their directions. Please also follow the TOS in regards to all unverified posters. Thank you!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Useful Post:
  #141  
Old 03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
GiantPickle's Avatar
GiantPickle GiantPickle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,565
Its a natural reaction to duck quickly out of the rain, assess it and as a kid decide "eh, I'll be alright if I put my hood up. I've just got a block more to go." two seconds later. I don't find anything suspicious in that at all. It would have been weirder if he hung out.

I don't necessarily fault GZ for calling 911. If you isolate this incident itself and don't take any of his side comments on the 911 tape in to account, its OK for him to phone in an unknown teen walking in the gated community. It would have been a 2 second well-check from the police and that'd be that. Though it is very creepy, I could almost let GZ following him in the car slide if he followed Trayvon to his final destination instead of hopping out and hunting him down on foot. But GZs history is suspect, then his stalking of the boy and CHOICE to confront what is naturally a freaked out kid with a strange man following him makes this pretty cut and dry murder to me.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GiantPickle For This Useful Post:
  #142  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Talina Talina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantPickle View Post
Its a natural reaction to duck quickly out of the rain, assess it and as a kid decide "eh, I'll be alright if I put my hood up. I've just got a block more to go." two seconds later. I don't find anything suspicious in that at all. It would have been weirder if he hung out.

I don't necessarily fault GZ for calling 911. If you isolate this incident itself and don't take any of his side comments on the 911 tape in to account, its OK for him to phone in an unknown teen walking in the gated community. It would have been a 2 second well-check from the police and that'd be that. Though it is very creepy, I could almost let GZ following him in the car slide if he followed Trayvon to his final destination instead of hopping out and hunting him down on foot. But GZs history is suspect, then his stalking of the boy and CHOICE to confront what is naturally a freaked out kid with a strange man following him makes this pretty cut and dry murder to me.
I could really see a scenario like the following happening. An aware neighbor noticing a teen walking through the gated community, doesn't recognize them, sees them on a porch, then leave the porch, follows them to a house they see them walk into then that teen tells parents some weirdo was following me in a car and watching me like he was staking me out or something. Those parents call 911 while at the same time Zimmerman has also called 911 so we have competing 911 calls going on and the police come out to sort it all out.

That, to me, is what should have happened.

IMO
__________________
Unless I've provided a link, everything I say is IMO
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Talina For This Useful Post:
  #143  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
jjenny jjenny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
You have been alerting everyone as to the ramifications of this law from the beginning of this case. Few have listened. But it's all over the papers and radio now. I still think Zimmerman can be prosecuted the law notwithstanding. But I will review it more deeply. Thanks for sounding the alarm.
I agree in that I think he could be prosecuted. But what they are saying the worse he migh face is manslaughter (not murder) because of this law.
And even then its unclear if he can be sucessfully prosecuted.
__________________
Just my opinion
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:
  #144  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Yoda's Avatar
Yoda Yoda is offline
Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Here.
Posts: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossva View Post
I agree; Martin didn't deserve to be killed. What I am looking at are all the circumstances that led up to the confrontation.

If I saw some one do what Martin did, I most likely would have called 911 and reported it also. I may have also followed and observed at a safe distance till LE did infact arrive, especially if there had been unsolved breakins recently. I would not have gone up to him personally, nor would I have carried a weapon.

The problem is there is only one living person who knows exactly what happened. It is possible what Zimmerman is claiming is EXACTLY what happened that night. It's also just as POSSIBLE that Zimmerman called out to Martin, Martin stopped, and Zimmerman just shot him point blank.
Top line BBM
I respect that. I walked away from posting a few days ago because of the attacks for asking questions.
**
There were not just two or three factors that made this happen. There were thousands. We do not live in a vacuum. Wouldn't people rather convince a person of GZ's guilt by presenting linked facts then by attacking them for asking questions that could be relevant? And asking questions about TM does not mean we think he did anything wrong. * Just like GZ's 42 calls to LE since January are relevant. *ALL of the pieces are important. Just because one person might not think a fact is relevant doesn't mean others don't- the same with jurors. *And I am sure, at trial, GZ's lawyer will be using any information he can to show doubt to the jury.
Jmo
__________________
Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot.

Last edited by Yoda; 03-20-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I don't know why the asterisks showed up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoda For This Useful Post:
  #145  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
jjenny jjenny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossva View Post
In addition to the discussion's going on, should we perhaps discuss why Zimmerman was able to get a concealed carry permit in the first place? Are Florida's laws regarding that too lax?
He isn't a convicted felon so based on gun laws he'd be able to carry gun in any state where one can carry a gun (I think).
__________________
Just my opinion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:
  #146  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM
jjenny jjenny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Top line BBM
I respect that. I walked away from posting a few days ago because of the attacks for asking questions.
**
There were not just two or three factors that made this happen. There were thousands. We do not live in a vacuum. Wouldn't people rather convince a person of GZ's guilt by presenting linked facts then by attacking them for asking questions that could be relevant? And asking questions about TM does not mean we think he did anything wrong. * Just like GZ's 42 calls to LE since January are relevant. *ALL of the pieces are important. Just because one person might not think a fact is relevant doesn't mean others don't- the same with jurors. *And I am sure, at trial, GZ's lawyer will be using any information he can to show doubt to the jury.
Jmo
It won't be a jury. Because of "stand your ground" law this will go to a judge.
__________________
Just my opinion
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:
  #147  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:16 PM
jjenny jjenny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedrys View Post
That's what I thought! Something is seriously wrong here that he claimed self defense and apparently the police accepted it and let him go. Sounds like a good ol' boy network or something. I have NEVER heard of this just being accepted - it always has to go to court and be argued, especially if the person who was killed was unarmed! Shoot, if it were you or me, we'd have to prove it in court! I think some heads are going to roll in that police department when all is said and done.
Not in FL it doesn't.
__________________
Just my opinion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jjenny For This Useful Post:
  #148  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Dr.Fessel's Avatar
Dr.Fessel Dr.Fessel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Central Illinois
Posts: 10,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
It won't be a jury. Because of "stand your ground" law this will go to a judge.
Why do you say that? How does this stand your ground law stop you from being charged with murder or being put in front of a jury?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Fessel For This Useful Post:
  #149  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
HiHater HiHater is offline
No justice. No peace.
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great State of TX
Posts: 1,813
2 Questions/comments

Just because the Stand Your Ground Law exists, doesn't mean it applies to this case. Someone let me know if I'm completely wrong on that.

Stand your ground cases DO go to a jury, but the judge can decide to drop the charges and grant immunity before it gets to that point. Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

TIA
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HiHater For This Useful Post:
  #150  
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Anadarko Anadarko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
It won't be a jury. Because of "stand your ground" law this will go to a judge.
The 'stand your ground' law would NOT apply here, so why wouldn't it go to a jury? That law is only useful if you are attacked and trying to protect yourself, or your property. It really has zero to do with this case, so I'm not sure why it keeps coming up.

Just because someone wants to tell that lie to LE, doesn't make it so.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Anadarko For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FL - 17-yo Boy Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain Hopeful One George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion threads 1027 03-20-2012 11:19 AM
4 year old boy drinking and roaming neighborhood laura08 Bizarre and Off-Beat News 31 12-28-2009 07:15 AM
14-year-old boy inflicting terror on a local neighborhood Texas Mist Crimes in the News 14 11-03-2009 03:04 PM
Boy Shot Outside Of Graduation Filly Crimes in the News 0 06-20-2008 06:22 AM
14-year-old boy finds his mom shot to death at home after school PrayersForMaura Crimes in the News 3 12-30-2005 12:43 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!