Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Jerry Sandusky-Cover Up at Penn State > Jerry Sandusky General Discussion threads

Notices

Jerry Sandusky General Discussion threads Closed for posting-but plenty of reading.


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Rlaub44's Avatar
Rlaub44 Rlaub44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 584
Judge rules on records requested by Amendola

Judge Cleland ruled that the defense is entitled to some, but not all, of the records requested in the recent round of subpoenas.

The Second Mile must release any complaints made by the accusers against Sandusky, along with records of their internal investigation.

Juniata College must release copies of the background check done on Sandusky when he tried to become a coach there in 2010.

The school districts must release documentation on psychological treatments not covered by privacy laws, but not IQ testing.

He will also receive information regarding the Clinton County child abuse investigation.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/1...se-orders.html

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...se_orders.html
__________________
"I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:
  #77  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 AM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
They are talking about the failure to report charges possibly being dropped against Curley and Schultz, because of the statute of limitations. If convicted, they would have faced 90 days in jail and a $200 fine. It is a victory for them, but a minor one.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #78  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Rlaub44's Avatar
Rlaub44 Rlaub44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
They are talking about the failure to report charges possibly being dropped against Curley and Schultz, because of the statute of limitations. If convicted, they would have faced 90 days in jail and a $200 fine. It is a victory for them, but a minor one.
In Sara Ganim's article in today's Patriot-News, she rightfully mentions that this opens Tom Corbett up to fresh criticism for the lack of urgency he gave the matter when he was Attorney General.

Had he pursued this more vigorously, with more than one trooper assigned, the statute of limitations should not have ever been an issue; additionally, although nobody could have foreseen this, Paterno would still be alive to testify as corroboration to McQueary in the perjury trial.

Sara's analysis:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...andusky_p.html
__________________
"I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:
  #79  
Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 PM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlaub44 View Post
In Sara Ganim's article in today's Patriot-News, she rightfully mentions that this opens Tom Corbett up to fresh criticism for the lack of urgency he gave the matter when he was Attorney General.

Had he pursued this more vigorously, with more than one trooper assigned, the statute of limitations should not have ever been an issue; additionally, although nobody could have foreseen this, Paterno would still be alive to testify as corroboration to McQueary in the perjury trial.

Sara's analysis:
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...andusky_p.html
A very good analysis.

This has been the first legitimate criticism of Corbett in this matter, IMO.

Schultz has another problem. He claimed under oath that someone in child services was contacted, supposedly DPW, and investigated the 2001 incident. There was no record of that nor any record of University Police even being informed of the incident, unlike 1998.

Schultz basically has to convince a jury that he forgot; I don't think he'll be successful. Curley, who was out of the criminal investigation loop, isn't facing that problem. Bottom line, Schultz should be convicted on that, but I'd expect the case against Curley to be hugely weaker.

If Amendola has "Victim 2" and Victim 2 says there was no rape, Sandusky walks on that charge; I wouldn't even vote to convict him. There are other charges, including Unlawful Contact with Minor. I'd expect that Sandusky will be convicted, but he won't get 600 years. Amendola might be preparing to be Monty Hall, i.e. "Let's make a deal."

I could see Sandusky being convicted and out in time to vote for Corbett's successor.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #80  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Rlaub44's Avatar
Rlaub44 Rlaub44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
A very good analysis.

This has been the first legitimate criticism of Corbett in this matter, IMO.

Schultz has another problem. He claimed under oath that someone in child services was contacted, supposedly DPW, and investigated the 2001 incident. There was no record of that nor any record of University Police even being informed of the incident, unlike 1998.

Schultz basically has to convince a jury that he forgot; I don't think he'll be successful. Curley, who was out of the criminal investigation loop, isn't facing that problem. Bottom line, Schultz should be convicted on that, but I'd expect the case against Curley to be hugely weaker.

If Amendola has "Victim 2" and Victim 2 says there was no rape, Sandusky walks on that charge; I wouldn't even vote to convict him. There are other charges, including Unlawful Contact with Minor. I'd expect that Sandusky will be convicted, but he won't get 600 years. Amendola might be preparing to be Monty Hall, i.e. "Let's make a deal."

I could see Sandusky being convicted and out in time to vote for Corbett's successor.
This might be where the emails that we recently learned about could be Curley's undoing. All it will take is one line demonstrating that Curley and Schultz recognized that there was a sexual nature to the allegations, and the perjury charge is all but secured.
__________________
"I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:
  #81  
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
The prosecution is preparing the victims for testimony, which will require public disclosure of their names. I am not thrilled about that, but it is necessary. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...rry_sandu.html
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #82  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 PM
StellarsJay StellarsJay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 284
The prosecution has demanded information about any expert witnesses that Amendola plans to call.
http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/1...-sandusky.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:
  #83  
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 PM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Sandusky is moving to dismiss on Victims 2 (McQueary-2001), 8 (Calhoun-2000), and, surprisingly, Victim 6.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...without_a.html

In regard to Victim 6, bear hugging in the shower, he's claiming that no criminal intent and that it wasn't sexual.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...N%20LIMINE.pdf

In the case of Victim 6, only one misdemeanor required sexual intent; the other ten charges don't necessarily.

I think he's trying to get rid of the charges where there are third party witnesses. Bold move.

He might have one misdemeanor tossed in Victim 6 and Victim 8 has no witnesses and no victim.

Victim 2 is interesting.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #84  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
HMSHood's Avatar
HMSHood HMSHood is offline
Admiral-Class Battlecruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 63 22'N 32 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
Posts: 2,640
I have wondered what was Jerry Sandusky's relationship with his parents. I get the impression he did not have any problematic relationship with them, unlike many other infamous figures past and present.
__________________




HMS Hood
Mighty Hood
Pennant Number: 51
Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:
  #85  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
StellarsJay StellarsJay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 284
Jerry and his father Art- I haven't read "Touched" but someone who did says there is a passage describing a swimming event with Jerry and Art, shortly before Art’s death. Art weak; Jerry was supporting him in the water. Jerry let him go under. Jerry commented that was payback for when his dad did the same to him in his childhood.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:
  #86  
Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
HMSHood's Avatar
HMSHood HMSHood is offline
Admiral-Class Battlecruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 63 22'N 32 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
Posts: 2,640
This caught my attention.

Is Anyone Asking Whether Art Sandusky Was A Child Molester Too?
http://milowent.blogspot.com/2011/11...-sandusky.html

What turned Jerry Sandusky into a monster? A parent, a family member, someone in the community? He self-reports being very shy and awkward as a child. I suspect we'll find out what happened. And it won't be pretty.
__________________




HMS Hood
Mighty Hood
Pennant Number: 51
Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:
  #87  
Old 05-16-2012, 11:35 PM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
This caught my attention.

Is Anyone Asking Whether Art Sandusky Was A Child Molester Too?
http://milowent.blogspot.com/2011/11...-sandusky.html

What turned Jerry Sandusky into a monster? A parent, a family member, someone in the community? He self-reports being very shy and awkward as a child. I suspect we'll find out what happened. And it won't be pretty.
I think some of that is very exaggerated. It was common for a male child in the 40's through even the 70's to be involved in sports like football and wrestling.

I did find the "payback" comment troubling, but more in the context of trying to dominate someone weak, especially involving water.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #88  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:44 AM
StellarsJay StellarsJay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 284
Are vics 2, 6, 8 also part of a pattern of assault in the Penn State showers? A set so that jury could choose "believe one, believe all"? Jerry's defence and friends need all the campus shower out because the others lend credibility to McQueary's account.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:
  #89  
Old 05-17-2012, 04:22 PM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarsJay View Post
Are vics 2, 6, 8 also part of a pattern of assault in the Penn State showers? A set so that jury could choose "believe one, believe all"? Jerry's defence and friends need all the campus shower out because the others lend credibility to McQueary's account.
Victim 3 was also another shower person.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #90  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
pinktoes pinktoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 293
About the swimming thing. Pg 223 in Touched. Go to amazon.com; set up an acct (no nasty email barrage will follow). Search his book. Use the word 'payback'. Two options should come up. It's the second one. (Not all of the book is available there, but this part is).

Hope this is within copyright restrictions:

"some of the very last days when I had taken my father swimming...I accidentally lowered his upper body and head under the water....When I was sure he was okay, I put a smile on my face and said, 'It's payback time, isn't it?'"

Bear in mind, this is a memory he had of recent times; it was on the day his dad died, just after the coroner showed him into his dead father's bedroom to see his body. He said it was the cycle of life, with him holding his weak dad up in the water, just as his dad had done for him over 45 yrs before.

I just find that both chilling and informative.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinktoes For This Useful Post:
  #91  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 PM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
About the swimming thing. Pg 223 in Touched. Go to amazon.com; set up an acct (no nasty email barrage will follow). Search his book. Use the word 'payback'. Two options should come up. It's the second one. (Not all of the book is available there, but this part is).

Hope this is within copyright restrictions:

"some of the very last days when I had taken my father swimming...I accidentally lowered his upper body and head under the water....When I was sure he was okay, I put a smile on my face and said, 'It's payback time, isn't it?'"

Bear in mind, this is a memory he had of recent times; it was on the day his dad died, just after the coroner showed him into his dead father's bedroom to see his body. He said it was the cycle of life, with him holding his weak dad up in the water, just as his dad had done for him over 45 yrs before.

I just find that both chilling and informative.
He might have meant that he was caring for his father as his father had cared for him.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #92  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
pinktoes pinktoes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 293
JJ: I don't think so, from the way his other anecdotes were written (and not by him, I know; by his ghost writer). Seems like his others--to wit, sarcastic humor.

Sorry; should've given you more context. Jer let his dad's head go underwater, accidentally. Saw bystanders' concerned faces; looked and saw dad underwater. Pulled his head up. Dad "...screamed at me, 'What are you doing?!?'" Then Jer smiled and said, "It's payback time, isn't it?" (pg 223, Touched)

See if this will take you directly in:
http://books.google.com/books?id=DhU...page&q&f=false

Last edited by pinktoes; 05-18-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: addition
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinktoes For This Useful Post:
  #93  
Old 05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
JJ: I don't think so, from the way his other anecdotes were written (and not by him, I know; by his ghost writer). Seems like his others--to wit, sarcastic humor.

Sorry; should've given you more context. Jer let his dad's head go underwater, accidentally. Saw bystanders' concerned faces; looked and saw dad underwater. Pulled his head up. Dad "...screamed at me, 'What are you doing?!?'" Then Jer smiled and said, "It's payback time, isn't it?" (pg 223, Touched)

See if this will take you directly in:
http://books.google.com/books?id=DhU...page&q&f=false
Okay, I can see that context a bit more clearly. It is a little creepy.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #94  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
BennyProfane BennyProfane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 51
Prosecutors' response to Amendola's request for more detailed info on the accusations:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/#p74

Scroll past all the individual paragraphs to the bottom of the page where it reads "AVAILABLE DOCUMENTS" and find the following:

•SANDUSKY AMENDED CRIMINAL INFORMATION FOR 2422 2011 5/18/2012 5:00:22 PM
•SANDUSKY AMENDED CRIMINAL INFORMATION 2421 2011 5/18/2012 5:00:06 PM
•SANDUSKY COMMONWEALTHS MOTION TO AMEND THE INFORMATIONS AND BILL OF PARTICULARS 5/18/2012 4:59:40 PM
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BennyProfane For This Useful Post:
  #95  
Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Reader's Avatar
Reader Reader is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,981
Thanks, Benny!

Criminal Docket

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...R-0002422-2011

----------

Amended Bill of Particulars 5/18/12

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...ARTICULARS.pdf

--------
Amended Criminal Information - victims 1-8 - 40 charges

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...422%202011.pdf

--------

Amended Criminal Information - victims 9 and 10 - 12 charges

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...421%202011.pdf
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
  #96  
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Judge ruled against the defense motion to delay the trial: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...se-denies.html

Set for June 5.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #97  
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Reader's Avatar
Reader Reader is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
Judge ruled against the defense motion to delay the trial: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...se-denies.html

Set for June 5.
Good!

On the amended criminal informations submitted, not one charge has been removed and most the new information given of the incidents cover years and several places for each victim. Amendola better get to work since none of his delaying tactics and flim flam have changed the AG's or court's determination to bring JS to trial on all 52 counts of being the child predator he is. June 5 is coming up soon.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
  #98  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 AM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
Good!

On the amended criminal informations submitted, not one charge has been removed and most the new information given of the incidents cover years and several places for each victim. Amendola better get to work since none of his delaying tactics and flim flam have changed the AG's or court's determination to bring JS to trial on all 52 counts of being the child predator he is. June 5 is coming up soon.
The judge has not ruled on the dismissal motion as of yet. Victim 8 might be dismissed, but I'd be surprised if the others would be.
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #99  
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 PM
J. J. in Phila's Avatar
J. J. in Phila J. J. in Phila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,055
Paterno family to get $13,000,000+ in pension benefits over the next two years: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...ceive-134.html
__________________


What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:
  #100  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 AM
StellarsJay StellarsJay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 284
It will be interesting to see what effect this has on public opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Penn State Sandusky cover-up: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #8 wfgodot Jerry Sandusky General Discussion threads 770 04-20-2012 12:29 PM
Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #7 wfgodot Jerry Sandusky General Discussion threads 589 02-10-2012 06:03 PM
Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #6 wfgodot Jerry Sandusky General Discussion threads 642 12-19-2011 02:43 PM
Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #4 wfgodot Jerry Sandusky General Discussion threads 602 11-29-2011 02:06 PM
Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno, Spanier fired; coverup charged #3 wfgodot Jerry Sandusky General Discussion threads 590 11-21-2011 10:22 AM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!