Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > The Unidentified > Grateful Dead Fan

Notices

Grateful Dead Fan Unidentified male died 26 June 1995 in Virginia

Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 PM

I went ahead and sent a tip to the email I gave above about Jason K. Cannon being a possible match. I hope and pray that it is read in a timely manner and taken seriously and persued by investigators. I hope I get a response. If I do not, we should call whatever phone numbers we can find on both cases to suggest this tip, although I hate making phone calls. I do not want to let this one go. I haven't claimed the possible match to be my idea and I never will. If this is a match, and it is a big IF, then I will happily give you the just credit you deserve for thinking out of the box.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HopeIsAlive For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Help! I tried to summit a tip by email at the address I gave above, but it got returned to me, something about the recipient rejected it. :-( What email do I use to summit tips?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
And there was this guy - Jason C. It's a very unusual surname.
I visited a link posted later in this thread and it showed a Jason C. from W. Potomac who's name had been highlighted. If that's the name you're referring to, it's a pretty common name around south central VA. At least it used to be. There's even a drug store in my home town that carries the name.

I'm going to try and contact some of my friends from college to see if any of them recognize this fellow. There were a lot of kids from NOVA that were part of the dead scene back in the 90's in my dorm.

April Pickens, missing since December 26, 2011
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165823
The Following User Says Thank You to mamashawn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 AM

Has Aron silverman been discounted, I could not see his name in the possible matches section. he disappeared in 1993 so two year before Jason Doe died, but it was thought possible he was a run away so it is not impossible he lived as a run away for a couple of years before being killed in the accident. I now his name is not Jason, but maybe that is a red herring: he could have given the girls a false name, someone else gave him the note, he piced it up from somewhere etc.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brit1981 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM

Height, weight, and eye color don't match / aren't close.
It's possible he could have grown or gained weight, but I don't think he was wearing brown contacts when he was found.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GenericUsername For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 AM

ah, OK.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8truthseeker8 View Post
I just "liked" the page and shared it with my friends (whom are mostly from VA and DC). Hoping that someone recognizes him or knows somebody who knows somebody that is missing a son and looking for him.
Somewhere, buried in one of these threads about Jason, there is a comment from LE where they believe that Jason's family contacted them, apparently these folks asked specific questions that haven't/hadn't been released.

I'm going to go back and see if I can find the actual qoute.

Mel

Found it. Main thread #1 post # 203

Posted by:
marylandmissing
Registered User Join Date: Dec 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb
<Spoke w/ a ME once who told me that shortly after this death, they received a call they believe may have been the family of this boy.>

<so, what did they say? were they able to confirm anything from this?>

When this first happened, some physical characteristics weren't released to the public, as there was no need to initially. After the first media release occurred, they received a call from someone inquiring if the young man had these characteristics...

Last edited by Mels3kidz; 06-17-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: adding info
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mels3kidz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM

Hey, I submitted the match to doe network, said they would look into it, but you know how that goes. Still a tough one, with 180 some people already ruled out, at least we know that this case is definitely being worked on. I just don't understand some of the people that have been tested, when so many that are at the appropriate age have not. Anyways, I have narrowed the list down to 40 some more likely candidates.
The Following User Says Thank You to thefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2012, 06:21 PM

here they are, some are way more likely than others. It wouldn't let me load my actual list, which includes age when missing, age in 1995, date missing, date of birth, location missing, namus #, hair & eye color, and brief description of scenario
all of these missing guys fit into the age range of 13-24 in June 1995.

NAME
Aiello, Steven
Allen, Marc J.
Amato, Andrew
Ayotte, Kevin J.
Barclay, Nicholas P.
Barnett, Richard R.
Benetton, Soni M.
Borer, David M.
Bright, Jeremy D.
Cantrell, Antreas C.
Cerniglia, Paul A.
Clark, Steven M.
Collins, Kevin A.
Crain, William S.
Dabkowski, Jon M.
Davison, Timothy J.
Dollar, Burt O.
Downey, William V.
Eddings, Marty L.
Edmonds, Jr, Charles D.
Evans, Sean W.
Fair, Curtis M.
Francis, Charles C.
Franko, Anthony B.
Fritz, Robert J.
Frye, Ronald
Green, Jarrod D.
Grice, Jeremy J.
Guthrie, Timothy P.
Hale, Shawn
Hansen, Bradley B.
Harrington, Dennis P.
Heindenreich, Mike
Henderson, Charles A.
Henson, Royce
Hollan Jr, Kelly
Inman, John C.
Inman, Tyler J.
Izzett Jr., Donald L.
Jackson, Danny R.
Johnson, Paul W.
Karis, Andrew
Kellar, Robert L.
Kleeschulte, Scott A.
Krafft III, John L.
Krebbs, Larry D.
Lango, John F.
Leach, Randy W.
Lewis, Reuben M.
Lusher, Jamie
Mackerley, Louis A.
Mahaffey, Joshua J.
Martin, Eugene W.
Martin, Mark S.
McColl, Peter J.
Mello, Patrick W.
Minarcin, Gabriel
Mort, Russell J.
Narbonne, Taj
Negrete, Jared M.
Nuray, Cenzig H.
Osborne, Jeffery D.
Pate, Aaron M.
Patz, Etan K.
Rawls, Samuel R.
Russo, Jason J.
Salomon, Mitchel
Sayegh, Cary D.
Schwerman, Roger
Seelman, Mark W.
Seelman, Mark W.
Simonelli, John
Smith, Nicholas V.
Swan, Christopher J.
Theis, Tyrom
Torres-Irizarry, Angel
Wells, Joel
Wetterling, Jacob E.
Wright, Michael A.
Yanez, Rene
Zahn, Christoph
Zeigler, Jonathan L.

I have another list of less likely people. These people are all a little older, 25-30. If anyone is interested in either complete list, let me know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Just to say, none of the men on the list have been ruled out, according to NAMUS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 PM

Sorry, I keep posting, for some reason, Jason Cannon is not on the list that I previously posted, he definitely should be.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 PM

I know the stats are off for Jeffery D Osborne but some of his pictures look similar to the newer picture of 'Jason' specifically the ears! https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/8205/50
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM

We would need to know if Osbourne had longer hair at the time, Doe was not found with glasses
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM

NAMUS describes his hair as a short buzz cut, he probably should be taken off of my list as he disappeared after JD died, but sometimes people get dates wrong
Old 07-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinder View Post
here they are, some are way more likely than others. It wouldn't let me load my actual list, which includes age when missing, age in 1995, date missing, date of birth, location missing, namus #, hair & eye color, and brief description of scenario
all of these missing guys fit into the age range of 13-24 in June 1995.

NAME
Aiello, Steven
Allen, Marc J.
Amato, Andrew
Ayotte, Kevin J.
Barclay, Nicholas P.
Barnett, Richard R.
Benetton, Soni M.
Borer, David M.
Bright, Jeremy D.
Cantrell, Antreas C.
Cerniglia, Paul A.
Clark, Steven M.
Collins, Kevin A.
Crain, William S.
Dabkowski, Jon M.
Davison, Timothy J.
Dollar, Burt O.
Downey, William V.
Eddings, Marty L.
Edmonds, Jr, Charles D.
Evans, Sean W.
Fair, Curtis M.
Francis, Charles C.
Franko, Anthony B.
Fritz, Robert J.
Frye, Ronald
Green, Jarrod D.
Grice, Jeremy J.
Guthrie, Timothy P.
Hale, Shawn
Hansen, Bradley B.
Harrington, Dennis P.
Heindenreich, Mike
Henderson, Charles A.
Henson, Royce
Hollan Jr, Kelly
Inman, John C.
Inman, Tyler J.
Izzett Jr., Donald L.
Jackson, Danny R.
Johnson, Paul W.
Karis, Andrew
Kellar, Robert L.
Kleeschulte, Scott A.
Krafft III, John L.
Krebbs, Larry D.
Lango, John F.
Leach, Randy W.
Lewis, Reuben M.
Lusher, Jamie
Mackerley, Louis A.
Mahaffey, Joshua J.
Martin, Eugene W.
Martin, Mark S.
McColl, Peter J.
Mello, Patrick W.
Minarcin, Gabriel
Mort, Russell J.
Narbonne, Taj
Negrete, Jared M.
Nuray, Cenzig H.
Osborne, Jeffery D.
Pate, Aaron M.
Patz, Etan K.
Rawls, Samuel R.
Russo, Jason J.
Salomon, Mitchel
Sayegh, Cary D.
Schwerman, Roger
Seelman, Mark W.
Seelman, Mark W.
Simonelli, John
Smith, Nicholas V.
Swan, Christopher J.
Theis, Tyrom
Torres-Irizarry, Angel
Wells, Joel
Wetterling, Jacob E.
Wright, Michael A.
Yanez, Rene
Zahn, Christoph
Zeigler, Jonathan L.

I have another list of less likely people. These people are all a little older, 25-30. If anyone is interested in either complete list, let me know.
And there's a Jason on this list...
"All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com
The Following User Says Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgirl View Post
And there's a Jason on this list...
Jason Russo profile -

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6612/2/

It looks like he was likely lost at sea with his father and friends.

More info -

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/russo_jason.html
Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 PM

https://www.facebook.com/jim.colemissing?sk=wall

This guy went missing in 1994 from Maryland. Looks similar.

Eta...just noticed James cole was already ruled out.

Last edited by Jujercu; 07-24-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Noticed he was on the list of people ruled out.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Verified Juanette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels3kidz View Post
Somewhere, buried in one of these threads about Jason, there is a comment from LE where they believe that Jason's family contacted them, apparently these folks asked specific questions that haven't/hadn't been released.

I'm going to go back and see if I can find the actual qoute.

Mel

Found it. Main thread #1 post # 203

Posted by:
marylandmissing
Registered User Join Date: Dec 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb
<Spoke w/ a ME once who told me that shortly after this death, they received a call they believe may have been the family of this boy.>

<so, what did they say? were they able to confirm anything from this?>

When this first happened, some physical characteristics weren't released to the public, as there was no need to initially. After the first media release occurred, they received a call from someone inquiring if the young man had these characteristics...

If his family called the ME, then why did they never call back and retrieve him and have a memorial?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 PM

By any remote chance, is anyone here a member at Oxford Ancestors? (I think you would have had to have your genealogy DNA test done through them to be a member.)

They used to have their boards public a few years ago, but now you need to be a member to see them. That is where people compare their results to see if they are related somewhere down the line.

I noticed we've been given a gift on the Grateful Dead John Doe....his DNA!

LOCUS:
D8S1179: 13,13
D21S11: 30, 32.2
TH01: 9, 9.3
D13S317: 12, 13
D19S433: 14, 14
VWA: 14, 16
TPOX: 8,8
D18S51: 18, 19
D5S818: 12, 12
FGA: 22, 24

The fact we know 10 loci is awesome. From what I've been able to tell so far (and this won't be a shock), his profile is the profile of someone who is pretty much as Caucasian as they come. I found a site that listed the frequency of different alleles among Scottish populations and his markers are among those found the most frequently in Scottish populations. That doesn't mean that he is Scottish. Since I was able to find some countries (Portugal for example, where he didn't match as well), but not others, for all I know he could be a better match to Irish, English, German, etc., etc. And even that isn't 100%, because these are frequencies and Caucasian ethnic groups have intermingled for so many years that there is a great deal of variation among people of the same ethnicity. Still, it was interesting because Virginia and its neighbors have a greater share of people with Scottish ancestry than the rest of the country. Many, many Scottish settled in that area of the U.S.

My curiosity is piqued by the fact that at 4 of the 10 loci he has the same number from mother and father. I don't know that that is very common today. I wonder if there is someone we can ask who would know better than I how common that is. I wondered if it might indicate that he is from a very small town (maybe along Appalachia somewhere, or Pennsylvania Dutch country) where there would have been less genetic variance. Just a thought.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Eyes View Post
By any remote chance, is anyone here a member at Oxford Ancestors? (I think you would have had to have your genealogy DNA test done through them to be a member.)

They used to have their boards public a few years ago, but now you need to be a member to see them. That is where people compare their results to see if they are related somewhere down the line.

I noticed we've been given a gift on the Grateful Dead John Doe....his DNA!

LOCUS:
D8S1179: 13,13
D21S11: 30, 32.2
TH01: 9, 9.3
D13S317: 12, 13
D19S433: 14, 14
VWA: 14, 16
TPOX: 8,8
D18S51: 18, 19
D5S818: 12, 12
FGA: 22, 24

The fact we know 10 loci is awesome. From what I've been able to tell so far (and this won't be a shock), his profile is the profile of someone who is pretty much as Caucasian as they come. I found a site that listed the frequency of different alleles among Scottish populations and his markers are among those found the most frequently in Scottish populations. That doesn't mean that he is Scottish. Since I was able to find some countries (Portugal for example, where he didn't match as well), but not others, for all I know he could be a better match to Irish, English, German, etc., etc. And even that isn't 100%, because these are frequencies and Caucasian ethnic groups have intermingled for so many years that there is a great deal of variation among people of the same ethnicity. Still, it was interesting because Virginia and its neighbors have a greater share of people with Scottish ancestry than the rest of the country. Many, many Scottish settled in that area of the U.S.

My curiosity is piqued by the fact that at 4 of the 10 loci he has the same number from mother and father. I don't know that that is very common today. I wonder if there is someone we can ask who would know better than I how common that is. I wondered if it might indicate that he is from a very small town (maybe along Appalachia somewhere, or Pennsylvania Dutch country) where there would have been less genetic variance. Just a thought.
Alternatively, I wonder if Oxford Ancestors would be interested in helping us with this....maybe they could check their message boards for us, and see if there is anyone there with similar results who might be interested in speaking with us. If it helped solve the case, that would be a cool bit of publicity for them, no???
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Irish_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Wow. I've been away from this forum for awhile and hadn't seen the updated composite. What a difference! Too bad this wasn't the image that was circulating 17 years ago, it does seem much more lifelike and is probably more accurate to how Jason appeared in life.

Side note, I'm a bit perplexed after viewing the list of people who were ruled out as being Jason on Namus. Lots of these men were born in the 1950's and one even in the 1940's. Yet Jason's age is listed as being a maximum of 21 years when he died in 1995. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to think outside the box, just found it a bit surprising that so many were outside the age range by so many years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shecky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM

More pictures released today: http://www.facebook.com/GratefulDoe#...6378946&type=1
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beamie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM

I'm trying to find the "ruled out" list. Is Phillip John Koss on the list?

http://www.nampn.org/cases/koss_phillip.html
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM

The ruled out list is on the 'case information' section of the Namus page.
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6095

I don't see Phillip John Koss on there, and he does seem like a possibility. Good find!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamie View Post
does that tattoo look like this:

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia...Heartagram.gif

it doesn't look like a regular star. it doesn't look "5-pointed." it looks like it has two parts: a heart and a triangle. am i crazy?
The Following User Says Thank You to njf520 For This Useful Post: