Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing Forum Discussion

Notices

Missing Forum Discussion This is the place for case discussion and opinion regarding those who are missing.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

Per this article, CA does currently have the DP.

Quote:
November ballot measure that would replace capital punishment with a life term without possibility of parole
So, if LE has strong evidence re: who did it, they can use the DP as leverage to plea and provide info.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek&Find View Post
We don't know why Gavin left the house that night, late, in only sweatpants. If he received a text or call, it could've been to draw him out of the house
That is all a rehash of what has previously been said here.

However there was a lot made of those purple sweatpants ... and I did read about the significance of them. I didn't think it was an important detail that needed linking, so I will just explain.

Both Gavin and his eldest son were somewhat famous locally as basketball players.The pants were not a pale purple colour, but instead a deep purple colour in reference to the Los Angeles basket ball team "LA Lakers". Perhaps at some time there was a matching gold/yellow shirt as an ensemble.

By the way, I find it hard to believe Gavin left the house shirtless ... even if he were just going to the store. I think the shirt was not mentioned because nobody saw what shirt he was wearing. He may have been shirtless in the house watching TV and then someone just noticed his car pulling out of the driveway with a blonde head at the wheel.

I also don't attach any significance to Gavin wearing his eldest son's sweatpants. Kids are known for changing their fashion taste quickly and Gavin just adopted an unused item. And he probably grabbed a limited number of apparel items when he left the family home 2 weeks prior.

Less likely is that the eldest son outgrew the sweatpants - the younger one is one inch taller than his father. I noticed that in the family photo and read in a media article about how much (but again not something link worthy in regards to finding Gavin).
Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Per this article, CA does currently have the DP.

So, if LE has strong evidence re: who did it, they can use the DP as leverage to plea and provide info.
California has a death penalty, but most people die of old age instead of being put to death. I don't want to start a death penalty argument, but I have never understood why a state implements the death penalty and then just lets the convicts stay on death row for dozens of years.

I live in Texas. We use ours.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JodyMT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
but I hadn't seen Kanan Rd mentioned in relation to Gavin (except on the findgavinsmith website) before
Yes I HAVE seen it mentioned before. Here is an article of 1 June 2012 which included Kanan Road and probably where I first read about Simi Hills ...
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowll...d-may-1_b63609
The Following User Says Thank You to 2rose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rose View Post
That is all a rehash of what has previously been said here.

However there was a lot made of those purple sweatpants ... and I did read about the significance of them. I didn't think it was an important detail that needed linking, so I will just explain.

Both Gavin and his eldest son were somewhat famous locally as basketball players.The pants were not a pale purple colour, but instead a deep purple colour in reference to the Los Angeles basket ball team "LA Lakers". Perhaps at some time there was a matching gold/yellow shirt as an ensemble.

By the way, I find it hard to believe Gavin left the house shirtless ... even if he were just going to the store. I think the shirt was not mentioned because nobody saw what shirt he was wearing. He may have been shirtless in the house watching TV and then someone just noticed his car pulling out of the driveway with a blonde head at the wheel.

I also don't attach any significance to Gavin wearing his eldest son's sweatpants. Kids are known for changing their fashion taste quickly and Gavin just adopted an unused item. And he probably grabbed a limited number of apparel items when he left the family home 2 weeks prior.

Less likely is that the eldest son outgrew the sweatpants - the younger one is one inch taller than his father. I noticed that in the family photo and read in a media article about how much (but again not something link worthy in regards to finding Gavin).
I am guessing they know that Gavin was wearing these pants when he left the house because they didn't find them in the friend's house.

I think him wearing the pants could be significant in that it doesn't sound like he was worried about being dressed up for whatever he was going to do or whoever he was going to meet.

I hope we get to hear the details of his last moments someday. I strongly think he received a phone call and was called out of that house to meet someone.

I say that because in my own experience, once I am ready for bed and in my pjs, it has to be something pretty important to get me to leave the house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodyMT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyMT View Post
I think him wearing the pants could be significant in that it doesn't sound like he was worried about being dressed up for whatever he was going to do or whoever he was going to meet
Oh yeah, I totally agree with that! But we have had numerous links that mention the purple sweatpants themselves ... so I didn't keep a record of the link about the significance of the colour of the pants being linked to a basketball team.

My high school had the same colours ... only they called it maroon and gold ... the purple is a very deep colour such that in the dark of night (like when Gavin went missing), any witnesses would most likely perceive the pant colour as black or dark.

Last edited by 2rose; 07-12-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added description
Old 07-12-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
CA does currently have the DP.
I think talk about the death penalty is premature because LE enforcement still stands by their statement of there being "no evidence of any foul play" in this "missing case" ... nothing about a murder case.

Last edited by 2rose; 07-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
California has a death penalty, but most people die of old age instead of being put to death. I don't want to start a death penalty argument, but I have never understood why a state implements the death penalty and then just lets the convicts stay on death row for dozens of years.

I live in Texas. We use ours.
I grew up in TX and I agree. Although, in this case, I'm glad they have it, so if Gavin was harmed and charges are brought, either ultimate justice could be the sentence, or the prosecution and LE can use it as a tool.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Banned

Regarding whether Gavin was wearing a shirt, since only his pants were mentioned in news reports and on flyers:

In most missing cases, LE works to release as much info re: all items of clothing the missing person is thought to be wearing at the time they disappeared. Even if it's vague, ie white t-shirt. Sometimes the description is enhanced with more info later, if they get more detail. Gavin's clothing descrip could've come from the last time the friend saw him in the house, or when he was seen driving away by whom/whatever.

It appears Gavin's things were gone through to determine what, if anything was missing (ie the statement that his charger, shaving kit, etc were still at the friend's house) which would be common as well, to see if the case leans toward voluntarily missing, clues to his whereabouts, etc. I agree that he probably didn't take a lot of things from the family home yet. So, if someone noticed a blue shirt was missing from the friend's house, for example, that'd be added to the description, IMO.

As Gavin & fam are active athletes and surfers, it doesn't seem far-fetched that he'd head out at 10 PM, either for a quick errand, or if it was urgent without a shirt, IMO. I agree that the significance of him being in sweatpants is the implication that he didn't plan to be gone long or have big plans.

Yeah, I didn't think it was odd it was his son's pants for the same reasons, ie they're the same size and he probably just threw a few things in a duffle when he left. Purple sweats would also stand out more if he'd been spotted out, say at a convenience store, or for SAR doing ground searches and coming across a person, discarded clothing, torn scraps of clothing, etc.

Last edited by Seek&Find; 07-12-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

True, no charges brought yet, but an eight hour house search with crime scene techs, after a sealed search warrant was delivered with a SWAT team, and the postponed sentencing of Creech, all add up to the potential of charges coming.

Last edited by Seek&Find; 07-12-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rose View Post
Yes I HAVE seen it mentioned before. Here is an article of 1 June 2012 which included Kanan Road and probably where I first read about Simi Hills ...
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowll...d-may-1_b63609
I don't see Kanan Rd mentioned in that piece, but that post was just referencing when I saw/noticed it and why it stood out to me.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
CA does currently have the DP.
I think talk about the death penalty is premature because LE enforcement still stands by their statement of there being "no evidence of any foul play" in this "missing case" ... nothing about a murder case.

<modsnip>

Last edited by ynotdivein; 07-12-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: No need to make this personal. All of us are hoping to locate GS and help his family.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
True, no charges brought yet, but an eight hour house search with crime scene techs, after a sealed search warrant was delivered with a SWAT team, and the postponed sentencing of Creech, all add up to the potential of charges coming.
I find it really interesting that Johnny Creech has said that he has "never met" Smith...but they took his car, searched his house...IMO it was really stupid on his part to say anything at all. That quote might make it hard to come up with a defense.

I'll admit that I don't understand a lot about the legal system but is it normal that all those 2010 charges (but the one) were dropped? Or does he have a great lawyer?
The Following User Says Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 PM

crazy directions here...yes oak park is technically part of the simi hills but more normally considered part of the santa monica mountains. from oak park the simi valley and the city of simi is DUE NORTH. driving west is the wrong way to go to the sfv. the sfv is EAST of oak park. the ventura fwy EASTbound takes you from oak park to the valley in 15 min or less. i grew up in the west valley and the whole area was my stomping grounds. why is simi a part of the dialog anyway? did i miss something?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosherlock For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 PM

oh, forgot to add this link...click out a couple steps and get the bigger picture.
as always in map reading north is at the top and east is to your right.
The Following User Says Thank You to nosherlock For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 PM

map too big sorry, i'm lame at computers. just go to google maps, oak park ca and see what i'm saying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosherlock For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deca View Post
I find it really interesting that Johnny Creech has said that he has "never met" Smith...but they took his car, searched his house...IMO it was really stupid on his part to say anything at all. That quote might make it hard to come up with a defense.

I'll admit that I don't understand a lot about the legal system but is it normal that all those 2010 charges (but the one) were dropped? Or does he have a great lawyer?
Well they had a search warrant so they want to gather ANY information possible.
The AUDI was referred to as the ONLY family vehicle.
So we don't know if it regularly driven by the husband or the wife ...
or who's name it was registered in.
Things they would look for in the car would include:
- a GPS system (for instance ... was the car in Sylmar ?)
- any evidence of Gavin (fingerprints, blood, clothes ?)
- any murder weapons (objects with blood on them or guns ?)

I don't have experience with court problems either, but in hearing about high profile cases in the news, it seems to me that there is nothing unusual about the length of time. I recall one recent article (don't remember which case) mentioned that the defense lawyer had to be given 9 months to prepare his case.

It is not unusual for legal cases to be bargained down (not sure is that is the right word).
I know someone with a simple car accident case (no physical harm to anyone involved) started with a bunch of charges against the other guy and after a year, it was bargained down to one offense.

Legal cases on tv often show that rather than arguing every single count, the prosecutor will drop some charges in order to obtain a confession to at least one count.

I only read this thread on the websleuths forum, but it has been mentioned that some read multiple threads, so those that do so, would probably agree about a similiar time span for court cases. I believe most murder cases are typically lengthy legal ordeals.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2rose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 10:54 PM

I would like to know exactly how long Gavin has been seeing Chandrika. I know I read that they stopped seeing each other in 2008 but the relationship soon started again. I have also read that the relationship started up again recently.

Seems whichever it is, she really had her hooks into him. I would love to see a picture of her.

If Gavin has continued to go back to her, I can definitely see why Lisa gets very defensive when the subject of Chandrika and Gavin comes up.

I hate cheaters.
The Following User Says Thank You to JodyMT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Retired WS Staff

Location: The beautiful roundabout of Context, Veracity, and JUSTICE

Is everyone doing ok in here? Remembering that Gavin is the main focus? Remembering WS Rules and TOS?

Just checking in.

Be not simply good. Be good for something.
HDT
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ynotdivein For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry ahead of time if this has already been discussed, but why is John Creech just now being sentenced for a crime he was convicted of back in 2010? Or did he just now plead to this crime FROM 2010? Even then, why has he been allowed to go so long between arrest and pleading?

Again I am sorry, I just never was real clear on what the story was with him.

BTW, IMO...IF John Creech had anything to do with Gavin's disappearance or death, there is NO WAY he is going to give that up. That is a far more serious crime than drug dealing. 10 years for drugs but maybe life for death. Nope.
Btw, no sorries needed! We can re-examine pieces of Gavin's case already discussed. In fact, when cases go quiet for a bit, as it seems this one has, it's pretty common to go back over old links, what we know & don't know, what we think might happen as the case moves forward, etc.

We can't post rumors, state things as fact without supporting links, or post as insiders without verification, as the mods have stated, but we're free to discuss.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seek&Find For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deca View Post

Good point! The "I'd love to tell" quote also seems a little cocky, which doesn't help him, IMO.

Has anyone seen a vid of him commenting at the courthouse 6/21? Another post mentioned being curious abt a pic of Chandrika. Me too! And John. The LASD Inmate Information Center doesn't have his mugshot up.

Originally, I didn't think he was the unidentified man interviewed leaving the Creech house the day of the search, but then the LASD Inmate info listed him as having black hair, brown eyes & race as H (ie Hispanic/Latino), as was the interviewed man. Still might not have been him, so I've looked a bit for a pic or mugshot to no avail...If anyone finds a courthouse vid, or pic of John, please post!

Quote:
The LASD Inmate Information Center confirms John Creech in custody, arrested at 10:45 AM, 6/21/12. No bail. "Visitor Status: N". Wonder if that means he's on restriction/no visitors? Lists DOB 2rose found: 7/22/1972. Black hair, brown eyes, 6'1", 195 lbs. Not a small guy. Anyone found a mugshot??

I can't link directly to the info. If interested, use link, and enter First & Last Name.

Also lists next court date as 8:30 AM, 7/26 and courthouse address.
Article and video with unidentified man leaving Creech home with two girls after search warrant served here.

(Another interesting bit...he's still listed as "Visitor Status: N".)

Last edited by Seek&Find; 07-13-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I would like to know exactly how long Gavin has been seeing Chandrika. I know I read that they stopped seeing each other in 2008 but the relationship soon started again. I have also read that the relationship started up again recently.

Seems whichever it is, she really had her hooks into him. I would love to see a picture of her.

If Gavin has continued to go back to her, I can definitely see why Lisa gets very defensive when the subject of Chandrika and Gavin comes up.

I hate cheaters.
I don't like cheating either

2008 The only date that has been released publicly is when they met.
2008 Her husband found out about it the same year.
2008 Supposedly he communicated by email with Gavin.
2008 And told his wife to end the affair.

20?? It has been said that the affair started up again,
but no dates have even been reported in the media.

A date has never been mentioned when Gavin's wife found out about the affair.
So we don't know if her awareness was in the 2008 round#1 or the more recent round#2.

All this info has been linked to previously & those links are available at
CA CA - Gavin Smith, Los Angeles, 1 May 2012, MEDIA/TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION" - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The links are not in perfect chronological order or article date,
but rather, in order of when the articles were posted in this webforum ...
so they appear in relative chronological of when new info became public knowledge.

Most of the links have titles, so you will be able to tell what the article is about.
Since the affair is fairly recently discovered info, start near the bottom
(but above the media links).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2rose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
I would love to see a picture of her
Yes I would like to see pictures of Mr. & Mrs. Creech too.
When the Creech house was searched, an article told of an unnamed neighbour who described Mrs. Creech as a blond ... which surprised me because of the foreign sounding names of the home owner & grandmother, I assumed they would have dark hair ... but perhaps she dyed her hair.

As for John Creech, I have only seen one description of him (as frail) & that was in this forum by NoSherlock. <modsnip>

Last edited by ynotdivein; 07-13-2012 at 10:43 AM. Reason: We don't discuss modding on the boards. Thx!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 AM
elsewhere

The links are not in perfect chronological order or article date,
but rather, in order of when the articles were posted in this webforum ...
so they appear in relative chronological of when new info became public knowledge.

Exactly. The links were originally posted in relatively current time, from posters such as myself who are no longer participating on this thread. It's nice that they have been copied to another thread (media), and I appreciate anyone who does such secretarial tasks aka gruntwork.

~jmo~
The Following User Says Thank You to shana For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 AM
elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosherlock View Post
crazy directions here...yes oak park is technically part of the simi hills but more normally considered part of the santa monica mountains. from oak park the simi valley and the city of simi is DUE NORTH. driving west is the wrong way to go to the sfv. the sfv is EAST of oak park. the ventura fwy EASTbound takes you from oak park to the valley in 15 min or less. i grew up in the west valley and the whole area was my stomping grounds. why is simi a part of the dialog anyway? did i miss something?
Thank you, nosherlock!

If anyone pulls-up a map of the area, please notice Kanan (-> Kanan-Dume). This is a canyon road that many locals use to & from West Valley and PCH (Malibu, Pt Dume, Paradise Cove, etc.)

Also please note south-facing beaches.

Describing compass points on the California coastline is always a challenge. I generally say "up the coast" when referring to, say, where Santa Barbara is relative to L.A. It makes it easier for those not familiar to visualize the geography.

~jmo~
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shana For This Useful Post: