Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Located Forum Discussion

Notices

Located Forum Discussion Discussion for those who were missing and are now located

Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
Not necessarily as Owen is the only minor child. If there were marital problems the risk of her getting child support could be motive. What if he tried to harm her and failed? Then she automatically gets custody, and he probably gets no visitation or supervised visitation. Maybe a stretch, but should be considered with the possibility of who may be responsible if foul play is involved here.
Why would she buy new clothes and put him in them immediately, take him out of school early to go meet a man they were afraid of? Or who she was having marital problems with?

That makes no sense. JMO

I would view this totally differently if HE had taken the son out of school.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM

Since it is near his birthday, she could have been treating him by taking him out of school early, buying him some gifts at Kohl's and then taking him on a trip, but that doesn't explain where the car was found.

ETA: And that doesn't explain the contents of her purse in the trunk either. If she were heading to California, I would think she would take some ID.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
Why would she buy new clothes and put him in them immediately, take him out of school early to go meet a man they were afraid of? Or who she was having marital problems with?

I would view this totally differently if HE had taken the son out of school.

That makes now sense. JMO

Earlier msm reports indicate she is having marital problems with her current husband, the boy's father.

We don't know what kind of clothing she bought him, that has not been released afaik. She might have purchased clothes because he needed new summer clothing due to growing or wearing clothes out. We really don't know what kind of clothing or why she bought them.

Where has it been stated it has been confirmed Owen was seen wearing the newly purchased clothes the day they disappeared? I haven't seen anything confirming that and maybe missed something?

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Where is Kyron?

This case is forming so familiar.. and I DO NOT LIKE IT.

I hope that the birthday, if there is one, inspires a phone call, or an email.. something!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfieTX View Post
Since it is near his birthday, she could have been treating him by taking him out of school early, buying him some gifts at Kohl's and then taking him on a trip, but that doesn't explain where the car was found.

Good points. The clothing could have been purchased as a birthday gift. A special ditch day have fun with mom kind of thing. Do we know what date is Owens actual birthday? is it possible Thursday was his actual birthdate but because last weekend was mothers day weekend perhaps his party was postponed until next weekend?

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Earlier msm reports indicate she is having marital problems with her current husband, the boy's father.

We don't know what kind of clothing she bought him, that has not been released afaik. She might have purchased clothes because he needed new summer clothing due to growing or wearing clothes out. We really don't know what kind of clothing or why she bought them.

Where has it been stated it has been confirmed Owen was seen wearing the newly purchased clothes the day they disappeared? I haven't seen anything confirming that and maybe missed something?
Yes, I get the marital problems, so why would she go to the lake if there was a possibility the husband would be there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed
Disappearance of Mother, Son Being Treated As Kidnapping

Plattsmouth Police announced Monday that they are treating the disapearance of a mother and her son as a kidnapping.

Charlotte Schilling and her 10-year-old son Owen have been missing since last Thursday. Police say Charlotte bought a few items at Kohl's and then picked up her son early from school. They were last seen on surveillance video at a convienent store near Lake Manawa on Thursday.

More: http://Charlotte took Owen out of hi...m on Thursday.

snipped...Charlotte took Owen out of his Wake Robin Elementary classroom between noon and 2pm on Thursday.

[video at that link says Charlotte bought the clothes at Kohls and then picked up Owen and that he had on the new clothes in the video from the convenience store near the lake....which is across the state line / river in Iowa. (30 - 40 mins drive depending which route you take)]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM

I'm also kind of reminded by another case and the woman's name escapes me at the moment (I think she ran a furniture store?). Anyway, her coworkers reported that she had been acting a little strange. She went to a store before work, gassed up and left. Later her car was found with her ID in it about an hour away, and I think she was eventually found in Texas (across several states) at a laundry mat?

ETA: Her name is Sharon Hopf. I'll dig up her thread.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
Yes, I get the marital problems, so why would she go to the lake if there was a possibility the husband would be there?

To meet the husband if it was unknown to them he wished them harm?

FTR, I am not convinced he is responsible. I'm just considering some of his actions which appear a bit hinky. There is still little information trickling out, so we have little to work with at this point until more info is released.

Her daughter sounds very concerned. It does not sound like Charlotte and Owens plans as discussed with her daughter L in the am included a spontaneous trip. I get the impression Charlotte and Owens plans veered off from what she had told her daughter she planned to do when they spoke earlier in the day, which has me concerned. ETA: I don't even know if it has been made public she told her daughter L she planned to pull Owen from school early, or she had planned to clothes shop that day.

Also add that LE has brought the FBI into this case already. The FBI does not jump into cases as a precautionary measure. So there is clearly some concern which is being withheld from the public at this point.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Here's Sharon's thread:
Found Alive IA - Sharon Ruth Hopf, 45, Crawfordsville, 5 Jan 2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Oddly, she is from Iowa.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Sometimes learning is finding out what we already know.

Quote:

IIRC the first post of this thread has a VIDEO report with the bit about Owen wearing the new clothes bought at Kohls in the video from the convenience store...

BUT WHAT THE HECK - I just played it again - I must be losing my mind - the video is different now - it's police say they found a receipt in schillings car from kohl's she bought new clothes for owen before they disappeared...and nothing more, I will listen again tho, I'm pressed for time right now.

ETA: I AM only partly losing my mind - i found it - it's at the link in the 3rd post of this thread
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NE NE - Charlotte Schilling & son Owen, 11, Plattsmouth, 10 May 2012

link direct to report - it's around the 1:20 mark:
http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/D...151456205.html

it says he was wearing those new clothes in the convenience store video

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Not really familiar with Sharons case and too many pages to catch up on her case. Did Sharon have any children?

Something just strikes me as odd, that Charlotte would have appeared normal, and been misleading to her daughter L during their morning conversation about her plans and taking off. Wouldn't we really need evidence why Charlotte would up and abandon her two older children if she were running from something? It just stikes me as really odd that she would willingly disappear with one of her three children, regardless of their ages. Add the FBI factor and I do not think she and Owen left are voluntarily missing.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
IIRC the first post of this thread has a VIDEO report with the bit about Owen wearing the new clothes bought at Kohls in the video from the convenience store...

BUT WHAT THE HECK - I just played it again - I must be losing my mind - the video is different now - it's police say they found a receipt in schillings car from kohl's she bought new clothes for owen before they disappeared...and nothing more, I will listen again tho, I'm pressed for time right now.

No hurry. We understand being pressed for time.

I wonder if the report that he was seen on survelliance actually wearing the clothing is an MSM error. We know early on MSM often makes errors in presenting factual information. Anyone know if any other MSM outlets reported he was wearing the clothing? Usually when more than 1 msm outlet reports something I give it a bit more credibility, unless it looks like multi msm outlets are reporting mistaken info they picked up from the same news source.

Personally I think it's odd he was seen wearing the clothing, unless he damaged, ripped, spilled something on his clothing and it was a necessity to change. My 9.5 yr old son HATES trying on clothing. He despises it, and it's been a long time since he has actually tried clothing on in a fitting room. Shoes are a different story. He loves to wear news shoes from the store, as my siblings and I did as kids.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Not really familiar with Sharons case and too many pages to catch up on her case. Did Sharon have any children?

Something just strikes me as odd, that Charlotte would have appeared normal, and been misleading to her daughter L during their morning conversation about her plans and taking off. Wouldn't we really need evidence why Charlotte would up and abandon her two older children if she were running from something? It just stikes me as really odd that she would willingly disappear with one of her three children, regardless of their ages. Add the FBI factor and I do not think she and Owen left are voluntarily missing.
Yes, she had a husband and 2 older kids (late teens/early 20's). She and her husband also owned their furniture store, which was doing pretty good financially. What was odd was the fact that her car was found abandoned with her credit cards and ID, purse, etc. in Iowa and she ended up all of the way in Texas somehow. So, I guess the positive part of my mind wants to believe that Charlotte and Owen are just fine and taking a break somewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 PM
taygun

Quote:
I remember that strange case - we had all sorts of scenarios as to what happened.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taagean For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taagean View Post
I remember that strange case - we had all sorts of scenarios as to what happened.
It was a very strange case, but a good outcome fortunately. I can't recall if the FBI was involved. When I have time, I'll scroll back through the posts and see if I can find out.

Given the fact that Charlotte's husband said she had suffered a concussion, I suppose it is possible that it affected her judgement and reasoning. Or it could go the other way and suggest some other nefarious things....

Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM

More comments:

http://www.kmtv.com/151800235.html?a...1066535&page=1

Old 05-17-2012, 02:45 PM

And the court records aren't available online. Well, they are, but for a fee. Frustrating.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Ok, the last two comments are kind of strange. Why would someone get so defensive over an alleged friend saying she was not safe? hmm.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
The older son speaks in the video at the above link.

(ETA: Cubby I'm sorry you are w/o speakers...is there are resident transcriber?? I'm occupied atm)
I am a transcriber, but due to a recent stroke, can't type very well....I will see what I can do when I get back from an errand.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sooner Fan#1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 04:58 PM

The concussion is interesting. Was that confirmed by medical personnel? That could explain odd behavior.

In the past, when these "spontaneous trips" occurred, how did CS travel? Did she normally take a plane or bus or her personal vehicle? Did she hitchhike? Where the trips to a close amusement park or halfway across the country? Does she have access to money? Is there bank activity?

I think if mom was acting VERY strangely, and took Owen- there might be a chance that Owen might call someone or ask someone (like a hotel clerk or bus driver) for help. He is old enough to know if something is wrong with his mom. My DH's mom went crazy (for lack of a better term) and he knew at age 11 to run down to the local 7-11 and call his grandparents for help.
I am hoping that Owen is safe right now..

The biggest hinky thing for me is not letting your older kids know that you were leaving/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 PM

Interesting comment under this article from person who claims to be Charlotte's sister. Don't know if I buy it...I would hope LE would comment if they think any of this may be true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1519421.html
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Where is Kyron?

Are there high res "MISSING" posters for this case? I might just post some here in SoCal later today (the strawberry wagon on the PCH is calling my name).
Old 05-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Hi, I am someone who knows Charlotte and Owen. I have been very worried about them. I joined to post and clear a few things up, I do not believe that Charlotte was having any sort of mental issues but the marital issues are definitely a reality, recent communication with her confirmed this. There is a possibility they were in danger. I am not sure on on the details as I do not live in the area anymore but have kept in touch with the family. I hope they are found safe!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotmaker View Post
Hi, I am someone who knows Charlotte and Owen. I have been very worried about them. I joined to post and clear a few things up, I do not believe that Charlotte was having any sort of mental issues but the marital issues are definitely a reality, recent communication with her confirmed this. There is a possibility they were in danger. I am not sure on on the details as I do not live in the area anymore but have kept in touch with the family. I hope they are found safe!
Welcome, and thank you for your post.

The sister said in the comments (if that is her), that she possibly had help to flee. I pray this is the case and they are safe, tucked away somewhere and the helper was not a bad person.

If you want to get verified as a local/friend/family, there is an avenue for that here at WS. You can share what you know once that process is complete; however, if you don't want to do that, it is totally understandable.

Again, welcome to WS. I pray Charlotte and Owen are safe and sound somewhere.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 06:17 PM

Hi and welcome to WS riotmaker.

Surfie' mentioned the verification process. Here is a little more information so you can understand what that is.... And also see the enormous list of posters/members who have chosen to become verified. It is not mandatory. The following link will provide you with the information you need.

Professional Posters & Verified Locals/Insiders - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Still praying for news Charlotte and Owen have been found safely.

and hth

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cubby For This Useful Post: