Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Current Events > Crimes in the News

Notices

Crimes in the News Read and comment about current crimes committed. Remember the copyright laws when posting news stories!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Man who decapitated, ate fellow bus passenger wins chance to leave hospital grounds

I think many of us will remember this Canadian case as, once heard about, it's impossible to forget.

Cannibal allowed to leave mental hospital for a stroll, just four years after he beheaded and ate sleeping bus passenger (Daily Mail)
Quote:
A man who beheaded and cannibalized a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus in Canada four years ago won his bid to leave the grounds of the mental hospital where he has been kept, a criminal review board ruled on Thursday.

The Criminal Code review board said Vince Li's treatment team may grant him short escorted trips into Selkirk, Manitoba. The review board said the passes will start at 30 minutes and increase incrementally to a maximum of full days.
---
At Li’s trial in March of 2009, a judge was told that he was an untreated schizophrenic who was suffering from auditory hallucinations commanding him to kill [carnival worker Tim ] McLean, a stranger.

On Thursday, the board said the passes should only be granted if Li's treatment team believes his condition is stable and that it would be ‘appropriate and safe for him to leave the locked ward.’

He will have to be escorted at all times by a nurse and a peace officer who will be wearing street clothes to avoid drawing attention to LI.
---
much more, with pictures, at Daily Mail link above
Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 05-18-2012, 05:45 PM
badhorsie's Avatar
badhorsie badhorsie is offline
Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: On Battleship Hill
Posts: 2,859
This guy has crossed a barrier, I am a mental health nurse and I am sorry, IMO he should be treated with compassion but never be free
__________________
England's dancing days are done...
Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to badhorsie For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM
boston_baby boston_baby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 197
wow, good thing not drawing attention to him is apparently among the biggest priorities...

That "person" should not see the light of day except through bars ever again.
Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to boston_baby For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Nova Nova is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 18,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhorsie View Post
This guy has crossed a barrier, I am a mental health nurse and I am sorry, IMO he should be treated with compassion but never be free
The above is so well put, IMO. I too have no interest in punishing someone who acted out of mental illness. That doesn't mean I trust the psychiatric profession to know with any certainty whether the patient is sufficiently medicated to no longer be a threat.
Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Nova For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:21 PM
katydid23's Avatar
katydid23 katydid23 is offline
Verified Juanette
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,856
Once someone has shown themselves to be dangerous enough, that they could decapitate a stranger and begin eating him, for no reason, ---Sorry, but they should not be walking around free anymore.
__________________
“Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:27 PM
crystalgenie's Avatar
crystalgenie crystalgenie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oak Harbor, WA
Posts: 568
Sounds like Washington ... They used to take the criminally insane to carnivals and all kinds of cute outings up until a couple of years ago and they lost one. He escaped and thank God and all the police that caught him 3 days later.
__________________
"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."

General George S. Patton
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crystalgenie For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Woodland Woodland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 1,520
I would like to see these 'treatments teams' (those suggesting and authorizing escorted passes for now) held criminally responsible if their 'ideas' don't pan out in the short or long term and he, or others with similar illnesses kill again. To be able to sue them in civil court would make the treatment teams look harder at their own actions. It's not a system failure if he fails to take his meds in the future when not escorted.
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Woodland For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
redheadedgal's Avatar
redheadedgal redheadedgal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BC -- for now
Posts: 3,790
i was horrified when this happened... and i feel these escorted visits off premises are a slap in the face to mclean and his family ::shakes head::
__________________
*** THIS POST IS ONLY FOR USE ON WEBSLEUTHS -- DO NOT LINK OR COPY IT ELSEWHERE ***



what the massei motivation report against knox and sollectio really shows:


Last edited by redheadedgal; 05-18-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to redheadedgal For This Useful Post:
  #9  
Old 05-19-2012, 01:42 AM
brighidin's Avatar
brighidin brighidin is offline
mansplain this
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: winterpeg
Posts: 1,396
I live about 40 minutes from where he is held. While I don't think mentally ill people should be institutionalized as they were in decades past, I don't agree with the not criminally responsible (NCR) designation. I think it is fine for him to take walks around the Selkirk mental hospital, but i don't think he should be allowed out into the community, even with a guard, nor do I think he should ever be set free. Unfortunately it looks like the last two will probably happen at some point.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...152001055.html
" He has been diagnosed as having a 0.8 per cent chance of violently reoffending in the next decade." Really? since when can psychiatrists pinpoint this with such accuracy. perhaps they should get jobs as Vegas oddsmakers.

Of course he is doing fine now: he is in a secure facility and has to take his medication. Once he is deemed cured, he will be released. Who will ensure he takes his medication, then? I think it is great that, as stated in the above article, he has improved his English and has taken occupational training. Nevertheless, I agree with the mother of Tim McLean (the victim) that NCR designated people should be kept in hospital facilities indefinitely.
Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to brighidin For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Soulmagent Soulmagent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,085
I think the 0.8 percent chance of him reoffending is to high to risk letting him out.

I have zero percent chance of decapitating a person . I have a 0.8 percent chance of commiting a violent crime. I say that because I could end up in a position to react or overact do to head injury or something . My percent might be even higher who knows. I am not incapable of it I am sure. I slapped my ex husband and might reoffend.

His has to be much higher than mine. This is insane. I remember how he held up the mans head and showed it to the LE. 0.8 ... No way.

Lately I find myself getting really mad about these kinds of things.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soulmagent For This Useful Post:
  #11  
Old 05-20-2012, 01:59 AM
gitana1's Avatar
gitana1 gitana1 is offline
Verified Attorney
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 9,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
I would like to see these 'treatments teams' (those suggesting and authorizing escorted passes for now) held criminally responsible if their 'ideas' don't pan out in the short or long term and he, or others with similar illnesses kill again. To be able to sue them in civil court would make the treatment teams look harder at their own actions. It's not a system failure if he fails to take his meds in the future when not escorted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighidin View Post
I live about 40 minutes from where he is held. While I don't think mentally ill people should be institutionalized as they were in decades past, I don't agree with the not criminally responsible (NCR) designation. I think it is fine for him to take walks around the Selkirk mental hospital, but i don't think he should be allowed out into the community, even with a guard, nor do I think he should ever be set free. Unfortunately it looks like the last two will probably happen at some point.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...152001055.html
" He has been diagnosed as having a 0.8 per cent chance of violently reoffending in the next decade." Really? since when can psychiatrists pinpoint this with such accuracy. perhaps they should get jobs as Vegas oddsmakers.

Of course he is doing fine now: he is in a secure facility and has to take his medication. Once he is deemed cured, he will be released. Who will ensure he takes his medication, then? I think it is great that, as stated in the above article, he has improved his English and has taken occupational training. Nevertheless, I agree with the mother of Tim McLean (the victim) that NCR designated people should be kept in hospital facilities indefinitely.
I agree with everyone. Especially love these posts.

This is insane. It is very hard to keep schizophrenics in treatment. Besides, he ate a person. Come on!
__________________
For Travis Alexander, a human being. Justice will prevail.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gitana1 For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 05-20-2012, 02:00 AM
revampz's Avatar
revampz revampz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,446
I'm sorry, I really dont care if he is mentally ill....because if that is the argument what about people who "lose it" or snap so to say and kill someone, you could argue that that is also a mental breakdown, because it is...

This guy has killed someone, that innocent person will never get the chance to see the light of day let alone a hospital......no keep him in forever, medicated or not.
__________________
REVAMPZ
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to revampz For This Useful Post:
  #13  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:32 PM
drip~drop's Avatar
drip~drop drip~drop is offline
kiss a fuzzie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: In the cooooold!
Posts: 4,651
Geez. Good thing all he did was murder, decapitate and eat a poor guy.
A few years locked away. All is well, he can go for walkies.

Good thing it was't a doobie he was caught with. He
could still be under the jail.
__________________

Beautiful Rox.
Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to drip~drop For This Useful Post:
  #14  
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Sleuthster's Avatar
Sleuthster Sleuthster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 6,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by drip~drop View Post
Geez. Good thing all he did was murder, decapitate and eat a poor guy.
A few years locked away. All is well, he can go for walkies.

Good thing it was't a doobie he was caught with. He
could still be under the jail.
__________________
Cindi Lou


Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleuthster For This Useful Post:
  #15  
Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
LadyL's Avatar
LadyL LadyL is offline
Until they all come home
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,277
he murdered someone

he needs to be kept locked up for more than 3 years, mentally ill or not
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:
  #16  
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 AM
AbbieNormal's Avatar
AbbieNormal AbbieNormal is offline
Runs With Scissors
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
Once someone has shown themselves to be dangerous enough, that they could decapitate a stranger and begin eating him, for no reason, ---Sorry, but they should not be walking around free anymore.
Anyone whose mind can "go there" to decapitate someone and EAT parts of him, I dunno...I wouldn't want him released anywhere near us, thats for sure.
Those crimes are so horrendous, I remember the way the newscaster told the crime on, TV, at first they put it delicately but after the first day or so they were reporting it will full gore in descriptions. He needs to stay in jail, forever if possible. Or stay @ mental hospital. Either way he should not be among people...whose to say the same compulsion to kill won't hit him again? I'm sorry, I think that these people cannot be rehabilitated. Ever. JMO
__________________

Rest in Peace, Robbi 1980-2012
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbbieNormal For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
Daily Mail follows up:

Man who beheaded and cannibalised fellow passenger on Greyhound bus thought he was attacking an alien
Quote:
A Chinese immigrant who beheaded and cannibalised a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus thought he was on a mission from God to kill an alien, according to a mental health worker who interviewed him.
---
According to [Chris Summerville, head of the Manitoba Schizophrenia Society]'s transcript, Li recognises that people fear him.

'I understand people are scared because of my behaviour on the Greyhound bus. I am not at risk for anybody. I don't believe in aliens. I don't hear voices,' Mr Summerville quoted Li as saying.

'I take my medication... every day. I am glad to take it. I don't have any weird voices any more.'
---
much more, with pictures, at DM link above
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
  #18  
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 PM
drip~drop's Avatar
drip~drop drip~drop is offline
kiss a fuzzie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: In the cooooold!
Posts: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
I agree with everyone. Especially love these posts.

This is insane. It is very hard to keep schizophrenics in treatment. Besides, he ate a person. Come on!
There's no going back. No re-dos. It's complete and finished.
There is no way this monster can be set free. I can almost guarantee you that if his meds made him gain weight, feel funny or 1000 other things, he won't ever take another on his own again.

Let whoever would let him free, keep him as a guest in their home.
Just don't ask what's for dinner if he cooks.
uke" (hmmmm that was P U K E )
__________________

Beautiful Rox.
Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drip~drop For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 PM
HMSHood's Avatar
HMSHood HMSHood is offline
Admiral-Class Battlecruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 63° 22'N 32° 17'W (It's In The Abyss.)
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by revampz View Post
I'm sorry, I really dont care if he is mentally ill....because if that is the argument what about people who "lose it" or snap so to say and kill someone, you could argue that that is also a mental breakdown, because it is...

This guy has killed someone, that innocent person will never get the chance to see the light of day let alone a hospital......no keep him in forever, medicated or not.
If he is mentally ill, he should be locked up for good.
__________________




HMS Hood
Mighty Hood
Pennant Number: 51
Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 PM
katydid23's Avatar
katydid23 katydid23 is offline
Verified Juanette
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 24,856
If he is doing well there, taking his meds, not hearing voices anymore, not seeing aliens, then he should happily live his life, there among his friends and his health workers. Because, as mentioned by others, once he gets too much freedom, he will probably start skipping his meds. And those voices will reappear...
__________________
“Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:45 PM
wfgodot's Avatar
wfgodot wfgodot is offline
chien méchant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,190
While his walks outside the ground would be (at least initially) in the company of a nurse and a peace officer, I'd be worried he'd get the drop on them and skedaddle.

While I do understand why authorities may okay such a walk, I agree with badhorsie (above), that, after crossing the barrier that he did, he should never be free - even if that freedom means being accompanied by a pair of professionals.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
  #22  
Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 AM
brighidin's Avatar
brighidin brighidin is offline
mansplain this
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: winterpeg
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
While his walks outside the ground would be (at least initially) in the company of a nurse and a peace officer, I'd be worried he'd get the drop on them and skedaddle.

While I do understand why authorities may okay such a walk, I agree with badhorsie (above), that, after crossing the barrier that he did, he should never be free - even if that freedom means being accompanied by a pair of professionals.
He will probably be set free within the next few years. Most who are found NCR are not held for very long.

i don't think he was a monster. I understand that he was a paranoid schizophrenic. I think he will take his meds when he is in the hospital. The way I understand it, is that when he is 'freed' from the hospital in Selkirk, Manitoba his medicine intake will be monitored. However, the problem is that if he moves to another province, he will most likely fall through the cracks because health care is a provincial power and there isn't any sort of meaningful system of communication or surveillance between the provinces.

Li was taking medication for schizophrenia before and he had been hospitalized before, but he left that province and there was no one, or nothing, to keep tabs on him.

I think mental illness can be controlled and people can absolutely live meaningful, productive lives. The way the NCR laws are set up seem to suggest that once a person's mental illness is under control they are seen as cured. That is not right. IMO

Mental health advocates keep blaming the media for sensationalizing this murder and they keep stating that Vince Li is not a threat to the public. I do not agree with that. As I said previously, I am glad that we have moved away from wholesale institutionalization but, sadly, I fear that the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. Vince Li is a threat to public safety because he viciously killed someone and there is no way to ensure that he takes his medication everyday for the rest of his life.

Carol de Delley, the victim's mother has commented publicly that she has compassion for people with mental illnesses, but believes that if they commit horrific crimes, like Li did, they should be held indefinitely, or at least for a minimum period of time.
http://www.timslaw.ca/politicans/
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brighidin For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Soulmagent Soulmagent is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
God told him to kill an alien ,but that doesnt explain why he canniblised him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CANADA - Horrific Bus Incident (Canada) Passenger Beheaded saqqara Crimes in the News 183 03-01-2014 02:45 PM
60-year-old molested by a fellow patient at Roosevelt Hospital jjw Crimes in the News 2 03-13-2012 11:26 AM
Man Bitten By Decapitated Head Of A Rattlesnake White Rain Up to the Minute 64 08-13-2007 08:36 PM
Baby found in trash can to leave hospital Norma Up to the Minute 15 11-02-2005 11:36 PM
Police say man used Dog Shock Collar because girl ate breakfast too slowly Casshew Crimes in the News 6 10-13-2005 11:56 PM


© Copyright Websleuths 1999-2012 New To Site? Need Help?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Advertisements

Pre-Order Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony today!