Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Missing!! > Missing Forum Discussion

Notices

Missing Forum Discussion This is the place for case discussion and opinion regarding those who are missing.

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 PM

JMO he is going to plead not guilty anyway...
Any possible deal will come down the line, if Sierra is found before trial, etc...
It is not like he could not have pled today and then changed it, anyway, especially from "not guilty" to "guilty".
Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLady2 View Post
THANK YOU!! I was scrolling down getting ready to post when I read this.

ANY decent defense attorney is going to advise his client not to enter a plea until he has had as much time as possible to review the evidence against his client and build his defense. It's his right to have a fair trial, and the only way it can be fair is if his attorney knows everything he's dealing with.

It would surprise me if this went to trial in a year, probably closer to 2 years.

I'm probably wrong, but the PD (public defender - I keep thinking "police department"...LOL) would only have the "reason for arrest" paperwork, which we've ALL read.....they wouldn't get all the discovery until he makes a plea, no??

Doesn't the accused usually plead "not guilty"....THEN get the info against him - discovery/results....THEN figure out the course of action on how to defend his client??

Last edited by MyTinkieGirl; 05-31-2012 at 06:54 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyTinkieGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista_Gal View Post
Ok, so, I'm still trying to understand the court process here. Forgive my stupidity, LOL!

Here are my questions:
1. So, before July 10th, the state will have had to release what they have against him?

2. Today, he could have said he plead guilty or not guilty, correct? Seems like it would be best to say not guilty and bring this to trial, no? Would the defense attorney consider advising him to plea guilty? How often does that happen?

3. Did he not plea today because they wanted to buy more time? And how many times can one do this?
I don't have a criminal law background... it is a whole different game. That being said, there are as many motions as there are words in the English language. This could go on forever unless AGT cops to a plea agreement. Hard to know how he will proceed without any background information on him.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Annie1004 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista_Gal View Post
Ok, so, I'm still trying to understand the court process here. Forgive my stupidity, LOL!

Here are my questions:
1. So, before July 10th, the state will have had to release what they have against him?

2. Today, he could have said he plead guilty or not guilty, correct? Seems like it would be best to say not guilty and bring this to trial, no? Would the defense attorney consider advising him to plea guilty? How often does that happen?

3. Did he not plea today because they wanted to buy more time? And how many times can one do this?
Ha!! STILL right there with ya...LOL

I can't see giving over ALL the evidence, then deciding how to plead. I don't know the guy, but don't MOST accused people who deny even SEEING the victim plead "not guilty"???

It's like saying AFTER reading everything...hey, NOW I'll plead "not guilty" cause they ain't got nuthin on me......OR.....awwww, hell, I'm done...better work a plea.

Last edited by MyTinkieGirl; 05-31-2012 at 06:55 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MyTinkieGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTinkieGirl View Post
I'm probably wrong, but the PD would only have the reason for arrest paperwork...they wouldn't get all the discovery until he makes a plea, no??

Doesn't the accused plead "not guilty"....THEN get the info against him - discovery/results....THEN figure out the course of action on how to defend his client??
That's what I am trying to understand! It seems like they would say not guilty either way. So, maybe not pleading today was just to slow things down in hopes that they will learn more about the evidence the state has? But, does that state HAVE to reveal what they have at a certain time? I thought all was revealed after the plea also...Somebody help us out here! lol

I guess we just have to hope that LE will get even more evidence against him in the meantime. They need to find Sierra's body! The more time she is out there, the harder it will be to tell what happened to her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fashionista_Gal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Verified expert in neuroscience

What does it mean that he waived a preliminary hearing? And why would you do that?

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlainJaneDoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Tybee you will never be forgotten

I excepted this today. He only had PD a week there was no way he was going to even plea not guilty . Once yo enter a plea is when the clock starts ticking as far as going to trial iirc . This buys more time for his defense .

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JDB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 07:56 PM

If he were truly innocent, I am sure he would want a speedy trial. Not entering a plea just to buy more time says to me that he is guilty. Do they have to keep him in a private cell? They should just let him sit in prison with the general population to ponder things until July 10th. JMO
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JBinPHX For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJaneDoe View Post
What does it mean that he waived a preliminary hearing? And why would you do that?
I don't practice in Cali, but I think it just means the defense is not going to try to argue that there is not sufficient evidence to pursue the charges against the defendant. One reason to waive might be that they know they would lose (because the standard the prosecution has to meet at this point is very low), and all it would do is garner more bad publicity for the defendant before they are even out of the gate.
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
~Emily Dickinson~
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to southern_comfort For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Justice for Hailey

I guess AGT doesn't mind being in jail for the time being at least. I thought he might enter a plea (not guilty) only to try to get bail set. Not that they judge would have necessarily granted bail or AGT been able to make it if was set.
The Following User Says Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltexans View Post
I guess AGT doesn't mind being in jail for the time being at least. I thought he might enter a plea (not guilty) only to try to get bail set. Not that they judge would have necessarily granted bail or AGT been able to make it if was set.
He has a private cell...heck, he has more space than at home. Private cells are a premium. I don't think he minds at all. He is as smug as Casey Anthony. She didn't mind either. These types just blend into their surroundings and never miss a beat.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Whisperer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Tybee you will never be forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
He has a private cell...heck, he has more space than at home. Private cells are a premium. I don't think he minds at all. He is as smug as Casey Anthony. She didn't mind either. These types just blend into their surroundings and never miss a beat.
Nope they are your standard jail cell. Just means he is not mixed in the general public. And is held on a different floor nothing to write home about.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=61288
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JDB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Justice for Hailey

Quote:
Just seems interesting given that he has a baby daughter at home and a pregnant "wife" as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liltexans For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB View Post
Nope they are your standard jail cell. Just means he is not mixed in the general public. And is held on a different floor nothing to write home about.
I'm familiar with jail cells. By premium, I mean inmates want single cells. It is preferred. He has quiet and peace. If he were housed with others, his life would be miserable.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Whisperer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
RIP Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joey Jr.

Quote:
ITA... And that scares me. Seeing him escourted to that car in cuffs after he was arrested, he reminded me so much of her. They're cut from the same cloth.

I do feel for his family. They are victims as well. I hope they aren't like the Anthony's though. Sierra's family doesn't need that.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 PM

Jailed suspect in Sierra LaMar disappearance enters no plea in second court appearance

http://www.mercurynews.com/sierra-la...t-again-enters
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LBrennanVW For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Life is Precious

Will AG-T stay with a PD throughout this process ? I am so used to these high profile cases where some famous attorney takes the case, it just seems strange to see him with a PD. Is it likely a criminal defense attorney takes this case ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vega For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM

I just spent the last two days moving from Iowa to Colorado. Stopped at a truck stop in Hershey, NE and saw a poster for Sierra. I was hoping that when I logged back on to WS I would read that she had been found.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LisaCougar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM
WS Administrator

Please continue here:
CA **arrest**CA - Sierra Lamar, 15, Santa Clara County, 16 March 2012 #19 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thanks,

Salem