Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Mickey Shunick > Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads

Notices

Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads Prior discussions stored here for reference

Old 05-28-2012, 12:30 AM
chien méchant

LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #6

Please continue discussion of the Mickey Shunick case here.

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 * Timeline & Media Links ONLY *

KATC Twitter feed

• Facebook link: Find Mickey Shunick Now

Lafayette Police Department updates

• When new names - people, locations - enter the picture, please post them on this link's #tags, thanks.

• Please do not sleuth individuals who have not been mentioned in MSM either as persons of interest or as suspects by LE.

• Choose the links you post wisely; don't link to sites which feature bizarre speculation, etc.

And much thanks to queenofcorona, who started the original thread!

Last edited by wfgodot; 05-28-2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added LPD updates link
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Helcat!

Have we heard from queenofcorona today? Maybe they have been searching all day?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charminglane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:39 AM
WS Administrator

Please Note: Scanner chatter stays in the scanner thread. You can link the scanner thread and say something like "go have a look." That's it. Scanner chatter is like Vegas - what happens in the scanner thread stays in the scanner thread.

Thanks!

Salem
Old 05-28-2012, 12:41 AM

My daughter was part of a search team yesterday near Carencro. Nothing productive was found there, old rusty shovels, a dead dog, a snake, old beat up shoes but not much else but tall weeds, poison ivy and thick brush. All the searchers and volunteers are to be commended for their countless hours of dedication to bringing Mickey home.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:43 AM

http://texasequusearch.org/

The searches done by Tim Miller's organization are recapped at this link.

Also, scroll down the page for a bunch of good links posted in one spot.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Woe.be.gone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 AM

Since we are on a new thread, maybe the locals can pitch in to describe the area where the bike was found again. My understanding up to this point is that it is an extremely remote area, a creepy place, mostly used for the boat dock, has a notoriety for nefarious activities, murder victims have been found in the area and is generally a place where people dump all kinds of trash. Anything else to add or correct?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frogzilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Verified LOCAL

Reposting, as this posted after the thread closed:

The bike could be a ruse to draw off resources... to what end? I'm still pondering this.

I'm trying to put my self in the perp's shoes. A girl on a bike is missing. I'm leaving Lafayette with a girl and a bike. In some ways, a girl is more easily concealed in a truck than a bike, if unconscious. And maybe the bike is in the back, and a red flag. Separate girl from bike, and now you have a girl, but not the red-alert girl/bike combo.

Think about pulling over to dump bike at night as I head toward Baton Rouge. There is very little traffic.... but I'm afraid that with my luck, the moment I pull to the shoulder on the Basin Bridge, someone comes up behind and sees something. So I remember Whiskey Bay, and how desolate it is. Then I start down the deserted exit. but then I get paranoid that there might be someone down there to see. And there's no other exit for quite awhile. I rush to a decision and stop on the exit ramp - jump out, toss the bike over the side, cringing at whatever noise it may make, then drive through the boat ramp area, freaking out and looking around, then get on the on-ramp and get the hell out/.// with Mickey still with me.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 AM

I would really hope -- if an innocent citizen posted that flyer near the bridge -- someone comes forward to clarify to LE they are responsible for that particular flyer.

Or...I'd be comforted to know there are other flyers along the same route/area which would seem to me a "canvassing" rather than the sordid alternative taunting message.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Verified LOCAL

And this was the follow-up that failed to post when I got the "thread-closed" message:

The perp is doing things fast, with a sense of urgency, and so the scariest parts for him are dropping the bike into the dark and waiting for a crash or splash, and then banzai-ing through the boat-ramp area, back onto the onramp, knowing that if someone happens, by a long-shot, to be there, he is caught.

Then he gets back on I-10 East, or I-10 West.

All of this supposes that the bike were dumped directly after the abduction.

That would explain the haphazard drop.

Were the bike dumped later, it is harder to explain.

LEOs may have just missed the bike until now. This is the biggest mystery - when was the bike put there? It tells a lot. The lack of rain actually makes it harder to determine how long the bike has lain there.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:49 AM

I've not posted yet in this forum, but I've been following it and praying for Mickey's safe return home. I just read on the previous thread that her bike was found and my heart sank! I hope they find her - and find her soon! That fact that they found her bike and where they found it is very concerning. I pray she okay. Come home Mickey. Come home safe.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy Road For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:51 AM

Yes, extremely creepy and remote as I noted in a previous post. We had to stop off for an emergency on this exit and unless you've ever been there its hard to imagine just how eerie it is out there!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torchcat For This Useful Post:
Helcat!

Dead grass/weeds under the bike would mean earlier rather than later-as well as trash on top of it. Although it was easy to spot.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to charminglane For This Useful Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogzilla View Post
Since we are on a new thread, maybe the locals can pitch in to describe the area where the bike was found again. My understanding up to this point is that it is an extremely remote area, a creepy place, mostly used for the boat dock, has a notoriety for nefarious activities, murder victims have been found in the area and is generally a place where people dump all kinds of trash. Anything else to add or correct?
The area of interest is a vast swamp/wetland called the Atchafalaya Basin. I-10 travels directly through it by means of a 20 mile bridge. While on the bridge, one can look to the left or right and see swamp with cypress trees for miles.

It is a very popular place among people who like to fish or hunt in that area. However, there are a few people who reside there. The area is pretty much, among locals, synonymous with being a creepy place and perfect for body ditching.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Billiam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken fried View Post
The bike could be a ruse to draw off resources... to what end?
This is a question I'd love to hear addressed by a criminal profiler. Surely there are details that would seem to reveal the drop was made either in haste or calculated. I'm hoping the more experienced investigators on the scene were able to immediately observe just such details.

Quote:
That's about it. It's also off/under an exit off the 19 mile basin bridge (Whiskey Bay exit) you'd find on the 50 mile or so drive towards Baton Rouge. It's in the middle of the bridge.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ktgirl For This Useful Post:
Verified LOCAL

Quote:
It's best understood on Google Earth. I'm sorry I don't know how to link that. It's an exit of I-10 that services a popular boat ramp into the Atchafalaya Basin. Approaching it from either side, you can see boat ramp from your elevated perspective, between the separated twin spans of I-10. Some people may forget that I-10 at this point is elevated something like 25' above the swamp.

It's simple. Ramps to put your boat in the water, access roads from I-10, and a paved road going north and south. I may be remembering wrong, but I don't think there is even a bathroom... other locals please correct.

So really, it's just an ill-lit crossroads amid a swamp, with directions to drive or boat away from it.

SO.... it's remote in that there's nothing around for miles, but not so remote, in that there are roads leading to it and it's right under I-10.

Did that help any?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 AM

Red face

Where exactly would one find this scanner thread?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Awesome

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eavesdropping For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Verified LOCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ailina View Post
This is a question I'd love to hear addressed by a criminal profiler. Surely there are details that would seem to reveal the drop was made either in haste or calculated. I'm hoping the more experienced investigators on the scene were able to immediately observe just such details.
I'm sure they are happy to finally have something to go on. Finding just the bike there opens up may possibilities and shuts down many others....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 12:58 AM

Thank you to all the locals posting here and giving us insight. It sounds like you have a town filled with wonderful people who care!

I pray that Mickey is alive and will be brought home!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:01 AM
chien méchant

Volunteers React to New Developments in Shunick Case (katc.com, w/video)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 AM

Can someone help clear up something for me? I was just over on the Find Mickey Facebook page and read the post about the bike and it possibly being a rumor that it was found. Instead of me going back through all the previous posts here to find a reputable news link, was her bike indeed recovered or is this still just a rumor?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Verified LOCAL

It would take a lot of guts to go down the off-ramp and carry the bike under the bridge, any time of day or night. The odds of someone driving in there just as one was coming back out from under the bridge are small, but scary. I would lean toward them stopping on the I-10 off-ramp, as few feet as possible after exiting I-10, and dropping the bike then.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chicken fried For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Sometimes learning is finding out what we already know.

Photos from the benefit concert: http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pb...5270802&Ref=PH
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 01:05 AM
This is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisstanamus View Post
Where exactly would one find this scanner thread?
Current page of Mickey's scanner thread:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cazzie For This Useful Post: