Websleuths
Go Back   Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community > Featured Case Discussion > Hot Cases > Mickey Shunick > Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads

Notices

Mickey Shunick General Discussion Threads Prior discussions stored here for reference

Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 PM
chien méchant

LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #13

Michaela (Mickey) Shunick
Missing from Lafayette LA -- 19 May 2012

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

Thread #9

Thread #10

Thread #11

Thread #12

Thread #13

Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 * Timeline & Media Links ONLY *

Today's Advertister chat transcript

KATC Twitter feed

Lafayette Police Department updates

• Facebook link: Find Mickey Shunick Now

• If you find and post new info here on the discussion thread, please also post that link on the Time Line & Media Links *
• When new names - people, locations - enter the picture, please post them on this link's #tags, thanks.
• Please do not sleuth individuals who have not been mentioned in MSM either as persons of interest or as suspects by LE.
• Choose the links you post wisely; don't link to sites which feature bizarre speculation, etc.

(And much thanks to queenofcorona, who started the original thread!)

ETA:

Link to Bayou Becky's excellent videos
tracing possible routes Mickey might have taken toward home

Last edited by imamaze; 05-30-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added thread
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 PM
chien méchant

Advertiser transcript, for those of you who missed the chat, at link in post above.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM

I second your lucky #13 comment.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GulfCoastKAT For This Useful Post:
Just a person

Are you sure it's not gazillionth + one?

And is it gahzillion or gazillion?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurysOut For This Useful Post:

It's so frustrating that LE can't get a better description of the Chevy truck. I just counted 13 white 4 door Chevy Silverados with the Z71 package from Pinhook & Kaliste Saloom Road, through Camellia to Congress & Ambassador (6 miles across town from east to west for non-locals). Unless they can give something else to narrow it down, the might as well have said not to even bother keeping a look out.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zenithzuzu For This Useful Post:

I was on the traffic cam site and decided to watch one of the Congress cams and withing about 45 seconds I counted 10 white trucks, of which six could likely be a Z71.

This must feel like a needle in a haystack for LPD.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TexasLil For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithzuzu View Post
It's so frustrating that LE can't get a better description of the Chevy truck. I just counted 13 white 4 door Chevy Silverados with the Z71 package from Pinhook & Kaliste Saloom Road, through Camellia to Congress & Ambassador (6 miles across town from east to west for non-locals). Unless they can give something else to narrow it down, the might as well have said not to even bother keeping a look out.
Can you imagine how overwhelmed the tip line may be if everyone is calling in white truck sightings?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TexasLil For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM
chien méchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurysOut View Post
Are you sure it's not gazillionth + one?

And is it gahzillion or gazillion?
I think it does need a diacritical marking somewhere.

Definitely gazillion though.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Just a person

If the other drivers came forward, and this guy is hiding, there's a reason.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JurysOut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Awesome

Needles : haystack :: white Chevys : Lafayette
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Eavesdropping For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Unfortunately, this is the way it goes for LE and the public on these cases, this one is not unusual in that at all. In fact, in the Kelli Bordeaux case on WS we didn't even have a picture, make or model of the car that they were asking the public to remember.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mamamia54 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 PM

It is a needle in a haystack...I wish they knew if the z71 had some more distinguishing features...banged up front, side or back...or some sort of logo or something. Even if they compile a list of all white z71s in the area, it would take them forever to check alibis and whatnot.

My thought? If the white truck is not involved (i.e., Mickey turned off and the truck kept going straight) and hasn't yet come forward, perhaps the white truck belongs to an offshore worker who went out before this really blew up in the media and the truck image was released, and doesn't know he's being looked for. If that's the case, hopefully we'll hear some news about it in the next few days (with a 7/7 rotation, at least).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JW1893 For This Useful Post:

Quote:
I agree and I believe if any of the vehicles we've been shown are responsible for her disappearance, it is probably the person in that truck. I've always felt that way.

The key is often reading/listening clearly to the details with logic and not emotion.
The Following User Says Thank You to nutkin For This Useful Post:
Just a person

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
I think it does need a diacritical marking somewhere.

Definitely gazillion though.
Gäzillion.
The Following User Says Thank You to JurysOut For This Useful Post:

Maybe if they made these cameras useful in capturing the license plates of vehicles, this would be much easier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PFEF1022 For This Useful Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eavesdropping View Post
Needles : haystack :: white Chevys : Lafayette
What is the quickest way to find a needle in a hay stack?

Burn the haystack!

I would like to assume that LE is hot on the case!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JMI For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLil View Post
I was on the traffic cam site and decided to watch one of the Congress cams and withing about 45 seconds I counted 10 white trucks, of which six could likely be a Z71.

This must feel like a needle in a haystack for LPD.
But not all whites are white (I'm now thinking about a washing powder advert) - A 2007 model Chevy may have a different type of white paint than say an earlier model, (the formula could be different?) thus if LE have some paint to work with that may be able to narrow it down somewhat.

Time will tell. I hope so.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Redgoblin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Just a person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgoblin View Post
But not all whites are white (I'm now thinking about a washing powder advert) - A 2007 model Chevy may have a different type of white paint than say an earlier model, (the formula could be different?) thus if LE have some paint to work with that may be able to narrow it down somewhat.

Time will tell. I hope so.
Great point!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:16 PM

I'm putting these two posts here because they got stuck at the end of the last closed thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBecky View Post
From what I understand, the white truck taking a left on University (pointing opposite from the direction MS went) and the shot of the white truck heading NW on University (in front of the graveyard) are the same truck. The police cleared this one truck.
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Because the police WERE NOT CLEAR ON THIS POINT, you had to assume that's what they meant. Fair enough. However, we just got done with people *****ing about the chat reporters not being detailed enough and this is exactly how that stuff happens. I don't like assuming and I'm detail oriented so unclear statements are something I would clarify if I were, say, a reporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1893 View Post
When they released the second batch of pics, they said that the car traveling away from St. Landry and the one on University were the same. It's from every news report given on that day.

I swear, this is the first time I've wanted a drink since finding out I was pregnant 7 months go! lol. Stupid truck pics.
Okay then. I never read that they had determined they were the same. Do you have the link for that info?

This matters to me because we have spent a couple of hundred pages talking about these trucks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artis For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
They didn't say anyone came forward. They said they 'tracked them down'. I could see that for the Olds98 but a white truck with no visible plate? How'd they do THAT?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artis For This Useful Post:

I forget where the the next camera was that Mickey should have been seen on. If it was further down Landry, she could have been hit anywhere along there. It doesn't mean she turned down Brashear. Or is the camera right after Brashear? If the truck turned down Brashear then that helps break down the neighbourhood it was headed to.

This is more like finding a specific needle in a pile of needles.

The key is often reading/listening clearly to the details with logic and not emotion.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nutkin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM

What is this Svengali-like hold that white trucks have over the men of Lafayette that makes them think of purchasing nothing else but these white trucks? They aren't attractive in any way. The vast majority have never carried more than a potted plant in the bed, gone more off road than a gravel parking lot, or ever hauled anything.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EBR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatfield View Post
This is a very good guess of the type of truck this could be. Compare the Wheel wells and notice their "square shape" near the edges. The taillight looks about the same also, as well as the rear bumber area.

I understand this main picture is the one that should be the only one to consider, and I think I now better understand that the picture that has the truck going to the right is actually a sort of road, because this truck is in the right most lane. The other picture of the one going the other way, it is in the lane beside it and there are left turn arrows painted on the pavement in front of that one. It just seems bizarre to have a similar looking truck coming back from that same direction, but I suppose it could be a different truck heading to the left in the other picture. But in any case, GREAT JOB in trying to get an identification picture of this truck. I think you may have it with the inserted picture.

JMO of course.
Here's a comparison of the truck in question with 2009-2011 Chevrolet/Chevy Silverado Z71's.

http://i.imgur.com/0K2OJ.png

I feel as if the tail lights are higher up in the back on the perp's truck..no?

They started making the tail lights lower in Chevy/Chevrolet Z71 Silverados in 2007 or so (based on a google image search for each year ex: 2007 chevy z71, etc.) but earlier models pre 2007 had them higher up. Others indicate it may be a GMC z71 or perhaps an earlier Chevy z71 before they made the taillights lower.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM

I'm just spent about 40 min catching up? Didn't someone say that there were cops on foot near Henry & St. Julien and the gate to Coliseum Road was locked.